Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too bothered by this news but if not shifting McTominay causes us to not buy another midfielder, I think it will really feck our season up.
It’s been said a few times that we don’t have to sell to sign another midfielder.

I mean, I wasn't entirely serious there but we clearly had interest in him so silly to pretend that we didn't. Fulham have seen this and decided to grab him instead of McTom.

Berge wasn't a player I particularly wanted here, but he is still better than Mr Invisible.

I mean, I wasn't entirely serious there but we clearly had interest in him so silly to pretend that we didn't. Fulham have seen this and decided to grab him instead of McTom.

Berge wasn't a player I particularly wanted here, but he is still better than Mr Invisible.
Ah love to see the backtrack. Mr Invisible single handedly won us a few points and matches for us last season and without his help we wouldn’t have finished 8th but lower.

Amazed that many can’t see this

Fulham have made us look like right mugs here :lol:
Spending £25m+ on another shite central midfielder just after getting rid of Donny would have done that to a far greater degree. "B-B-But he's better than McTominay!" What a bar to set for transfer dealings. "Raises the floor" my arse. Fulham's his level, at best.

He's really not...

That's just some grass is greener thinking.

He would have been nothing more than a placeholder, just like Endo for Liverpool last year. That we weren't willing to pay 20m for him, was the right choice.

He would have been nothing more than a placeholder, just like Endo for Liverpool last year. That we weren't willing to pay 20m for him, was the right choice.
You wouldn't take a 26 year old Endo as a back up for 20 million?

You wouldn't take a 26 year old Endo as a back up for 20 million?

Considering their limitations, no, I wouldn't. Liverpool last year were a more well rounded team than we are currently, so them signing such a player that helps them function is different. He was still a hindrance to them IMO. Which is fine for a year, if you then actually get someone better there. We were also quoted more by Burnley, so with them being unreasonable, I don't really see what other choice we should have made. On top of that, and this might be a flawed comparison, but why should we pay almost double the amount for a fairly limited player, when we just signed a much better full-back, who is also 26, but in all likelihood will have a bigger impact than Berge could ever have?

Last edited:
Ah love to see the backtrack. Mr Invisible single handedly won us a few points and matches for us last season and without his help we wouldn’t have finished 8th but lower.
I mean, 8th place, 11th place. Not much of a difference really.

Fulham going for him presumably because they couldn’t agree a fee for McTominay? Meaning he was their second choice after McTominay. The player some here wanted him to replace. I don’t think Berge is a bad player but seen nothing from him to suggest he would improve us, not end up as deadwood in 12-24 months, or be an improvement on McTominay. I’d rather keep an academy player that’s at least as good, if not better, than him. I’m fairly certain we were never seriously interested.

The upgrade on McTominay we are looking for is Ugarte. Not Berge.

Fulham going for him presumably because they couldn’t agree a fee for McTominay? Meaning he was their second choice after McTominay. The player some here wanted him to replace. I don’t think Berge is a bad player but seen nothing from him to suggest he would improve us, not end up as deadwood in 12-24 months, or be an improvement on McTominay. I’d rather keep an academy player that’s at least as good, if not better, than him. I’m fairly certain we were never seriously interested.

Berge and McTominay are completely different players. Can't be compared. Stylistically, Berge would have been far more useful for us. Though I agree, Ugarte is preferable.

We need a starter not a backup. Casemiro should be the backup if we can’t sell.
Yup, I think we need a 3 man rotation for the CM spot. Neither Mainoo at his young age or Case at his tender age should be starting all the games. I don't like midfielders who are not very good passers of ball and don't have much vision but with Case being more a midfield playmaker in his United avatar maybe an all action midfielder who wins the ball at a good rate will work best with both Case and Mainoo.

Ideal scenario will be to get Ugarte now and then spend big on Adam Wharton, if he keeps developing, or someone else next season. Hopefully, signings we make this season will work out and from the next window on we'll only need to make only one or two top signings to raise the bar of the team incrementally.

Yup, I think we need a 3 man rotation for the CM spot. Neither Mainoo at his young age or Case at his tender age should be starting all the games. I don't like midfielders who are not very good passers of ball and don't have much vision but with Case being more a midfield playmaker in his United avatar maybe an all action midfielder who wins the ball at a good rate will work best with both Case and Mainoo.

Ideal scenario will be to get Ugarte now and then spend big on Adam Wharton, if he keeps developing, or someone else next season. Hopefully, signings we make this season will work out and from the next window on we'll only need to make only one or two top signings to raise the bar of the team incrementally.
A big money transfer of Wharton or Baleba seems reasonable for next summer. Or if anything creazy happens, maybe Real would sell Tchouameni.

I'm torn on this. On one hand it's great that Fulham are signing a player we had strong links with who IMO would end up as deadwood in a years time. I watched him at Sheffield United and Burnley and have only been impressed with his ability relative to the level he is at. I never looked at him as someone who we should be looking at.
On the other hand this move basically kills the McT sale who i thin we all agree, needs to move on for both us and him to progress.

Kinda see McTominay more as an option for one of the two advanced central positions, whereas Ugarte is for the double pivot. I guess Berge would've been for the double pivot too but, as you say, I doubt we were seriously interested. It did seem a weird link.

I never considered Berge as a first teamer but at the right price he would have suited us more then McT did. We already have 3 no 10s (Bruno, Mount and Eriksen). What we needed were more bodies in the base 2 role. Berge and Ugarte would have given us the first team and the spare needed at the no 6 position while Mainoo and Casemiro would have done the trick in the no 8 position.

I can't believe he was ever a serious target, nowhere near the level United need.

The only downside here is that he's going to Fulham which presumably means you aren't going to get rid of McTominay either.

I'd be surprised if United bring in any midfielder this window at this stage.

I can't believe he was ever a serious target, nowhere near the level United need.

The only downside here is that he's going to Fulham which presumably means you aren't going to get rid of McTominay either.

I'd be surprised if United bring in any midfielder this window at this stage.
Prepare to be surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.