Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. The season starts next week we cannot go into that game with the options we currently have. They should know this.

I've followed and liked him since his Vålerenga days and always thought we (Spurs) should take a punt on him.
A little like Wijnaldum I've always thought he'd do better in teams that dominate games and in that regard he hasn't really done too well with his last couple of transfers.

In many ways he is an excellent player. He's deceptively quick and a deceptively good ball carrier and also a solid passer.
Negatives: Not as good a presser/tackler as you'd want and maybe not utilizing his passing skills well enough in the final third (had he had those skills he'd be at a better club a long time ago)
When he was younger I thought that might be something that he'd learn, but he's 26 now, I'm not sure anymore about that anymore.

Yes and in may you will wonder why we 8th.. This guy has proven at Sheffield United and Burnley that he is not good enough, yet we have United fans wanting him.. And we makes fun of Liverpool fans..
Did Casemiro and Amrabat prove at their previous clubs they were good enough?
Where were we in May.

Let me guess, you've never watched him play?

Erm I’ve seen him play? Are we hyping up a 15m rated midfielder from the championship now?

Who the feck was wanting to sign Sander Berge before this story 12 hours ago?

Jesus Christ

Eye test over stats everyday and all day. And the eye test tells us he's not good enough.

Erm I’ve seen him play? Are we hyping up a 15m rated midfielder from the championship now?

Jesus Christ
He wasn't linked before.
I thought this thread had to have decent links otherwise we'd be throwing names everywhere

People are really basing their assumptions on nothing. He's slow and injury prone. You can't have poor acceleration and do a 40m sprint in 4.68, and you can't be injury prone if you haven't missed a match in three years. He's limited and not the quality we need, but at least criticise the lad for the right things.
Limited & not the quality we need.

Lets not listen to seasoned professionals and proven guys at the top level (who we begged for, for years) & listen to online fans instead.

So we're skint and shopping in the bargain basement again?

This smells like Wout Weghorst to me.

Also see Roy Keane, James Maddison, James Ward-Prowse.

Carrick was relegated with West Ham too before signing with Spurs. Not only can you get good players from relegated teams, they're probably smart to target as those teams may need to make sales.

Only thing I'd note is that the most successful of those names (Keane, Carrick, Robertson) were 22-23 years old when they left the relegated club, an age where they had scope to keep improving and hit elite heights.

Whereas the likes of Maddison, JWP and possibly Berge (all between 26-29 years old) are probably a different profile of signing, where you're pragmatically buying what you see with little prospect of major development beyond that.

Jesus Christ

Indeed, there is a reason no other top club has tried to sign him and that is that he isnt good enough for a top club.

Why would anyone want us to sign a midfielder that isnt even as good as McTominay or Fred?

I like how people are now just pretending players are injury prone so they can get angry?

Tbf anybody who followed Berge early and had high hopes for him will have seen him have a bunch of injuries breaking up his career. You can say he doesn’t deserve that reputation anymore, but it’s not based on nothing that people think that.

God no, he's the most overrated norwegian player of all time. He's nowhere near good enough for United. Always pisses me off seeing him bringing the tempo down with his passing for the national team, and he's pretty much incapable of passing the ball forward and through the lines. He might be fast over distance but he's slow as feck for the shorter movements which is a much more valuable quality for a midfielder. He's great at running with the ball at his feet though, and I've always said his future should be at CB, but I highly doubt that's why we've shown interest.

This could be an interesting signing. I don’t see the risk of spending less than £20m on him.

Limited & not the quality we need.

Lets not listen to seasoned professionals and proven guys at the top level (who we begged for, for years) & listen to online fans instead.

Pardon? Do you think he's too limited and not the quality we need as a starter, or do you think we should sign him?

Personally, I think he would be a decent squad option, but not an automatic starter. If he is our only DM, then I would raise a concern. If he is an option to rest our other DM and bring more physicality to the side when needed, then I think he's an interesting choice as he is a better footballer than McTominay and also much more physical.

Berge is not even close to what United needs. He's barely a Championship level player. Horrible for the national team, doesn't do well under pressure and as someone mentioned here brings the tempo down...

Jesus Christ

And how many raved about Ugarte before the rumours started circling? Fact is, most of us don't watch all the leagues, and I for one don't watch a Burnley match unless it's against Manchester United.

Pardon? Do you think he's too limited and not the quality we need as a starter, or do you think we should sign him?

Personally, I think he would be a decent squad option, but not an automatic starter. If he is our only DM, then I would raise a concern. If he is an option to rest our other DM and bring more physicality to the side when needed, then I think he's an interesting choice as he is a better footballer than McTominay and also much more physical.

The issue is that we seem to be a bit too good at getting 'decent squad options', but we are not so good at getting the players who would improve our first 11. To some, McTominay is a good squad option, Casemiro is a good squad option, Imhotep last year was a squad option, Sancho is an option, Antony is an option, Eriksen is an option.

We go about it all wrong. We buy too many average-to-good players, who have limitations, whereas we need to be looking for the good-to-great players and players who we can develop into great-world class. We should be getting players in to improve our first 11, and then next season looking at improving so that the first 11 is consistently challenged. If we keep looking at short-fix, temporary solutions or squad-fillers, we're just going to have a squad filled with them.

There's a strong argument that our squad fillers should be coming from the academy anyway, and should be players who we are looking to develop to take to the next level. We don't need players to make up the numbers and should not be thinking in that way.

And how many raved about Ugarte before the rumours started circling? Fact is, most of us don't watch all the leagues, and I for one don't watch a Burnley match unless it's against Manchester United.

He was in the PL with Sheffield United also. Hes played a lot in the PL quite a few caf fans will be well aware of him.

He isn’t good enough to be a starter for us thats all I will say about it

Could be a shrewd move. Saw a tweet that showed he had the highest percentage of post recovery ball retention across the top 5 leagues last year. Obviously the recruitment team are confident he’d step in and shine if he came in.

Same age as Wijnaldum when he moved to Liverpool, a highly questionable transfer at the time and look how that turned out. Definitely felt like he had a career trajectory that unexpectedly plateaued after an admittedly odd transfer to Sheffield. Would be refreshing to bring in a guy who just needed the right situation to blossom and that leaves everyone else feeling foolish for not bringing in a guy who was just kind of right there waiting.

This could be an interesting signing. I don’t see the risk of spending less than £20m on him.
Dan James says hello. Why not spend 20m on a young championship midfielder who is actually really good?

Could be a shrewd move. Saw a tweet that showed he had the highest percentage of post recovery ball retention across the top 5 leagues last year. Obviously the recruitment team are confident he’d step in and shine if he came in.
because he plays the ball sideways or backwards

If Berge was that good and available for 15m he wouldn’t still be at Burnley

because he plays the ball sideways or backwards
Ball retention when you have other players able to make progressive passes isn't a bad thing to be honest

Ball retention when you have other players able to make progressive passes isn't a bad thing to be honest
We don’t have them for one, we don’t have a single midfielder who has good consistent progressive passing from deep. For 2 hes not a great ball winner so whats the point of him?

Same age as Wijnaldum when he moved to Liverpool, a highly questionable transfer at the time and look how that turned out. Definitely felt like he had a career trajectory that unexpectedly plateaued after an admittedly odd transfer to Sheffield. Would be refreshing to bring in a guy who just needed the right situation to blossom and that leaves everyone else feeling foolish for not bringing in a guy who was just kind of right there waiting.
Wijnaldum got 11 goals and 5 assists for Newcastle the season before Liverpool signed him.

Berge is obviously too good for the Championship /relegation threatened side, but the jump from being too good for that and being good enough for a side who want top 4 and silverware is huge.

What is this 'eye test' i see popping up everywhere? Are people advertising for Specsavers or what?

It's easy enough to say 'watching him play'. The next hype next to 'aura'..

Jesus Christ
Go search his name, plenty have been on the hype train for years.

What we most need right now is a water carrier in midfield, who is up for a tackle/challenge, not afraid of the ball and can find his teammates consistently with relatively standard passes. I've not seen a lot of this guy play but we definitely don't need a world beater to solve this critical need.

Status
Not open for further replies.