Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Casemiro is not leaving and we are back to looking for a back-up at the dollar store.

The bar is: "Is he better than Amrabat?"

Is he? If yes, then I guess it'll be okay signing.

I think he's a decent footballer who for some reason hasn't managed to get his break yet at a bigger club. I don't see him anything other than a squad player but we certainly need quality squad players so I'm all for it.

Really don’t see the point of this. Contrary to belief he isn't really a DM. He wouldn't be replacing Casemiro and would just be Mainoo's backup.

What we most need right now is a water carrier in midfield, who is up for a tackle/challenge, not afraid of the ball and can find his teammates consistently with relatively standard passes. I've not seen a lot of this guy play but we definitely don't need a world beater to solve this critical need.

He's also very useful defending freekicks, something we may struggle with after losing Varane and potentially McTommy. Only really seen him when we play against him and he's generally pretty decent, which doesn't say much about his ability, but he was Burnley's player of the year, so must have been consistent. Small fee and relatively low wages and I'm not against the club signing him.

Is this the level of footballer this club is now going for? A 26-year-old Championship player? :lol:

We could do with a squad player who would be a good foil for Bruno/Mainoo/Mount. Someone rarely injured, physical, aerially capable and comfortable on the ball.

Berge wouldn't be a bad squad pickup at the right price. I'm just unsure on how slow he is?
He's actually quite rapid.

For starters, if he's able to recycle possession without needlessly giving the ball away he's already better than Casemiro and McT. McT has one good quality - make crashing runs into the box to get on the end of chances. Which is good for a ST.

He probably had it right when he started out as a ST when in youth teams. Whoever suggested him to be moved to midfield was probably off his rockers as McT doesn't have the single most important quality required of a midfielder- show for the ball and help keep it. For years we have seen him shy away from the ball, never showing for it yet people have convinced he's a better midfielder than an actual midfielder? His clutch goals from last season are doing some heavy lifting in my view. Play McT as a ST and his low passing stats wouldn't need to be highlighted as much but for a supposed midfielder they're atrocious.

I haven't seen Berge that much but stats suggest he attempts way more passes than McT and has a good successful completion rate even if they are mostly safe which suggests he can be a good option in helping us keep possession and recycle it.And that was when he was playing for Burnley. I don't mind him as a cheap squad option as Casemiro is way past it and McT isn't really a midfielder.

Is this the level of footballer this club is now going for? A 26-year-old Championship player? :lol:
If he played for a Ligue 1 or Ligue 2 team he’d be classed as an “hidden gem” - The hypocrisy is shocking.

Championship is a decent level & good players can come from there

Because paying big money for big names worked so well for the last decade+.
Because everyone knows the only alternative to overspending on big names is to buy journeymen from the championship. There's no in-between.

If he played for a Ligue 1 or Ligue 2 team he’d be classed as an “hidden gem” - The hypocrisy is shocking.

Championship is a decent level & good players can come from there

Same guys want us to sign Ivan Toney who was a league 1 player not that long ago

Thats not to advocate signing Sander Berge at this stage of his career, but to outline the people looking down their nose at the championship, there are some very good players in that league who can make the step up

He looks more than decent. People baulking at the idea of signing him mainly because they think if a player plays for Burnley in the championship means he must be shit. Many wouldn’t be happy with Robertson or wijnaldum either.

He looks more than decent. People baulking at the idea of signing him mainly because they think if a player plays for Burnley in the championship means he must be shit. Many wouldn’t be happy with Robertson or wijnaldum either.
To be fair, I remember he was once highly rated before he left Molde. But he hasn't really kicked on, bit like the de ligt situation, but the Championship version.

After reading those Burnley forum comments this feels like a squad player at best.

How much will a squad player from the Championship cost us? He's in his prime so that will boost the price a bit.
I doubt they rate any of their players that got relegated, tbh, so I wouldn't necessarily take their view as "the fact". Berge is top notch on his day, but inconsistent. If we can get the best out of him, he'd be a good signing imo.

I assumed the video was a piss take because he’s passing backwards every time. Mount can do that if we tell him to play very simple and take no risks.

I’ll accept he shows for the ball more than McTominay but this is the level of player we’re looking for to solve midfield issues, it’s going to be a long season.
I don't mind the side way passes. Actually, that seems like what we have been practising all preseason - play the ball up centrally to a meeting DM, then out to the side on one touch, instead of the Maguire > Shaw pass that we've been used to see in the past.

To be fair, I remember he was once highly rated before he left Molde. But he hasn't really kicked on, bit like the de ligt situation, but the Championship version.

He's never played for Molde, and he (hopefully) never will.

What is this 'eye test' i see popping up everywhere? Are people advertising for Specsavers or what?

It's easy enough to say 'watching him play'. The next hype next to 'aura'..

Pet peeve of mine that expression. People have become so fecking numerical with football analysis that actually watching football matches is ridiculously summarised as an ‘eye test’. It’s not an eye test, it’s THE test. Watching a footballer actually play football is what it’s about, it’s not an ‘eye test’. Nerds would have you believe that the game is played on a computer first and foremost, and watching players play is now just an inexplicable one of their metrics now.

The question is, is he better than McT, im
not sure he is and that’s saying something

Not sure if rapid is the right word, he really does look like Mctominay though. Not sure where to play him as he's not very defensively sound.

If he looks like McTom then sign me up! Rolls Royce midfielder, the Mcatominay-Berge connection would be immense and unbeatable

The question is, is he better than McT, im
not sure he is and that’s saying something

That's unfair, I mean is Rashford as good as Messi? Is Hojlund as good as Ronaldo? Probably not, but they can all do a job for us. Even if they can't do it as well as their superstar counterparts

That's unfair, I mean is Rashford as good as Messi? Is Hojlund as good as Ronaldo? Probably not, but they can all do a job for us. Even if they can't do it as well as their superstar counterparts

If the job is finishing in mid table, sure.

Signing Gallagher or Hojbjerg would be better value for money.

Or Amrabat, given he'd probably cost about £5-10m less than Berge and is a better player (when used in his actual position).
Its clear you just haven't watched Berge

What is this 'eye test' i see popping up everywhere? Are people advertising for Specsavers or what?

It's easy enough to say 'watching him play'. The next hype next to 'aura'..
Average low block counter press field tilt profile user

If the job is finishing in mid table, sure.

I guess, if he is a McTominay replacement, that would be his job. Just as Mctominay's goals propelled us from relegation and into mid table and Europe, Berge would be expected to do the same? Unfair and unrealistic :'(

Don’t mind it. What is there to suggest this is anything more than a nonsense rumour though?

I've seen enough to know he's not better than any of the players I mentioned in any position.

But I'm sure you know better than every other club in the Prem. Look at those idiots at Fulham trying to find the money to bid £25m for McTominay when they could pick up THE Sander Berge for less than that.
You have no idea about the fee involved for Berge so you're throwing more expensive players in. Amrabat wasn't better than him, by the way.

This is surely a joke. Probably to try and get Ugarte price lowered.

You have no idea about the fee involved for Berge so you're throwing more expensive players in. Amrabat wasn't better than him, by the way.

Better than him where? And based on what? Your keen eye?

Burnley signed him for £12m a year ago so it's a given any fee for him will be north of £15m. And no club in any respectable echelon of football, other than United apparently, rates him at that fee.

Based on what? Your keen eye?

Burnley signed him for £12m a year ago so it's a given any fee for him will be north of £15m. And no club in any respectable echelon of football, other than United apparently, rates him at that fee.
Based on the opinion that he wasn't. He had a decent final couple of games including the FA cup final but not a good season at all. He wasn't better than Berge that's for sure.

Throwing in expensive signings like Gallagher saying Berge isn't better than him is just weird. Even if we assume Berge is 15m, Gallagher is double that.

Based on the opinion that he wasn't. He had a decent final couple of games including the FA cup final but not a good season at all. He wasn't better than Berge that's for sure.

Throwing in expensive signings like Gallagher saying Berge isn't better than him is just weird. Even if we assume Berge is 15m, Gallagher is double that.

He played about 3 games in his proper position in a proper system all season. I dont think he's good enough to waste any money on this summer but he's still clearly a better defensive mid than Berge.

He played about 3 games in his proper position in a proper system all season. I dont think he's good enough to waste any money on this summer but he's still clearly a better defensive mid than Berge.
Right so you have literally no evidence to suggest that he's been better than Berge into the premier league. We got there in the end, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.