Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my biggest fear, I’m all for walking away from the Ugarte deal if PSG are demanding unrealistic fees but I was hoping we wouldn’t sacrifice the quality too much going for a cheaper option but it seems like that’s exactly what we’re doing. Talk about scraping the barrel, surely there’s options out there that are in between Ugarte and shite like Berge?

I like what I see on that video, but how good is his positioning in defensive pharse of the game, is he a strong tackle, does he cover grounds?
I assumed the video was a piss take because he’s passing backwards every time. Mount can do that if we tell him to play very simple and take no risks.

I’ll accept he shows for the ball more than McTominay but this is the level of player we’re looking for to solve midfield issues, it’s going to be a long season.

Always liked him. Keeps it simple, calm on the ball, can pick a pass, strong and can hold people off… main issue has been a tendency to get injured, which has hampered his career trajectory. Would be quietly optimistic should we sign him.

Not good enough and injury prone too. What are we doing?

Always liked him. Keeps it simple, calm on the ball, can pick a pass, strong and can hold people off… main issue has been a tendency to get injured, which has hampered his career trajectory. Would be quietly optimistic should we sign him.

He was injury prone when he was younger but not really anymore, he's had 1 injury in the last 3 and a half years.

That’s good. Though as Scandi says, we’ll soon fix that if he’s signed.
:lol: Yeah did think it was a waste of time saying that as it clearly doesn't make a difference when we sign anyone.

Yeah, except that he is very fast both short and long distances and mobile.

Fair enough, purely basing it on what I've seen from him in his 2 stints in the Premier League and from what my Sheffield Utd pal has said.

From what I've seen he doesn't cover space as quickly as a Fred (or Ugarte). Maybe he's quick once he gets into his stride but over short distances not so much - similar to Carrick in that sense . Just feel like we need more legs/energy in that midfield, we are missing that profile of player since Fred left (which Collyer has filled in pre season)

I was going to come in and whinge but then I remember laughing when Liverpool signed Andy Robertson and Wijnaldum.

If he’s been identified as a decent option then let’s wait and see.

this is my mindset after several windows of 'marquee' signings failing terribly. We cant have it both ways, where we want Ineos to identify under the radar players that will fit whatever idea they want to impose, then also complain when we go for a surprising target.

Im going to try relax about transfers for a couple of windows and see how Ineos perform. We desperately need somebody new in there.

He is absolutely not in any way attack minded from what I understand, and I imagine the idea is to find somebody who will complement mainoo and bruno

I’m all for smarter signings and not going for marquee names but there has to be better players in Europe/elsewhere we can get for under £50m.

If we end up having signed two centre backs, a full back, at promising striker and a squad player who fits the profile of midfielder we require then it's been a very good window given the financial constraints we're under.

You cannot address the entire team in one window.

But we haven’t done that though.

We aren’t being linked with any footballing midfielders. :(
We’ll have to wait until ten Hag is gone for that, unfortunately. Worry for Kobbie’s development with the way we don’t value the midfield. He’ll get endless game time and progression in that sense — there’s just aspects of his game that are so natural and habits we will drive out of him.

We aren’t being linked with any footballing midfielders. :(
We don't like the ones who excel at passing. It's been like this for a decade. It's my biggest long standing gripe with our player identification.

We’ll have to wait until ten Hag is gone for that, unfortunately. Worry for Kobbie’s development with the way we don’t value the midfield. He’ll get endless game time and progression in that sense — there’s just aspects of his game that are so natural and habits we will drive out of him.
We have to protect him from EtH or else he might end like Frenkie de Jong :eek:

I too want low-key and data driven signings. But you have to admit that when the supporters of the club in question hardly can believe that we want their player then it doesn't bode very well? I was all for the transfer until I read those Burnley forum comments. Granted, they may have been carefully handpicked by someone with an agenda...

Nope. I did the picking and they were taken straight from their transfer thread. I have zero opinion on Berge myself.

Berge is a strange one. Expected more from him based on his early trajectory, and you sort of have a feeling that he has another level he can unlock if he was at the right club and playing at a higher level. I think I would be OK if the price was sufficiently low. Tidy passer and physical presence. Calm and composed head as well.

Hence the word if.

Of course, but it’s a bit strange to counter to someone saying our window has taken a bad turn by listing a number of theories as mitigation. It goes without saying that our window would be great if we signed Wharton, De Ligt, Davies and Kvaratshkelia, for example. But none of that has happened. Extreme examples of course, but we are where we are.

Ugarte is more exciting but PSG are not playing ball. You would think there are better options out there than Berge though.

Not the exciting name we hoped for but I’m willing to give it a try. Ideally he is being seen as a squad signing with the view that if we can shift a few others we can go back in for Ugarte later in the window when PSG get desperate.

No prices being shown so far, I wonder if he has a release clause for them getting relegated?

Of course, but it’s a bit strange to counter to someone saying our window has taken a bad turn by listing a number of theories as mitigation. It goes without saying that our window would be great if we signed Wharton, De Ligt, Davies and Kvaratshkelia, for example. But none of that has happened. Extreme examples of course, but we are where we are.
They seem like deals which are likely to happen provided we can sell the likes of AWB and Mctominay, which I think will ultimately happen. However yeah, you're correct and I am probably jumping the gun a little. I just think people need to accept that it would have been impossible to get everything done by the start of the season given that half of our business is contingent on overpaid players leaving.

Not the exciting name we hoped for but I’m willing to give it a try. Ideally he is being seen as a squad signing with the view that if we can shift a few others we can go back in for Ugarte later in the window when PSG get desperate.

No prices being shown so far, I wonder if he has a release clause for them getting relegated?
That would be good, I would take him on a relatively cheap deal, he had one with Sheffield United I believe. I can't believe he would go to Burnley without one.

Fair enough, purely basing it on what I've seen from him in his 2 stints in the Premier League and from what my Sheffield Utd pal has said.

From what I've seen he doesn't cover space as quickly as a Fred (or Ugarte). Maybe he's quick once he gets into his stride but over short distances not so much - similar to Carrick in that sense . Just feel like we need more legs/energy in that midfield, we are missing that profile of player since Fred left (which Collyer has filled in pre season)

Except that he is actually very fast on the first few yards as both stats prove and he claims acceleration as one of his best attributes, but he looks slow because of his strides and his frame. He's also surprisingly agile. Not sure about his energy. Being that big has to demand more energy than a Fred buzzing around the place, so I think you are right in that aspect of his game.

Mount is very quick, agile and tenacious though.

Status
Not open for further replies.