Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better off signing a younger player from the continent who has higher potential as part of the squad.
Especially if he will cost north of 25m and around 100k in wages
Difference is Berge can be useful this year. 'Young player from continent' is an absolute lottery ticket.

Better off signing a younger player from the continent who has higher potential as part of the squad.
Especially if he will cost north of 25m and around 100k in wages, I think that would be a poor use of funds, at 26 we already know hes not good enough to start for us, he'll be deadwood in a couple of seasons
I rather get André from Fluminese then. Much higher ceiling.

We need a starting CM that improves us mate.

Not another squad player in my opinion.

Ugarte has a bigger chance chance to start since his playing style would unleash Mainoo and Bruno more without punishing our defence too much.
I don't think Ugarte has the discipline required as he vacates his position quite a lot harrying the opponents which means if we lose the ball we will be exposed. But fair enough I'll take your word on Berge if you think he can't do it.

Difference is Berge can be useful this year. 'Young player from continent' is an absolute lottery ticket.
It isn't really, if you're not expecting them to be a regular starter as with Berge

Especially if he will cost north of 25m and around 100k in wages, I think that would be a poor use of funds, at 26 we already know hes not good enough to start for us, he'll be deadwood in a couple of seasons
We should have went for Wharton or Gray before their moves to PL. Would have fitted into your description perfectly. Young players already playing regularly in the Championship and would have been relatively cheap.

But I disagree about Berge being deadwood within a couple of seasons. I think he can give us 4-5 years of service easily.

Wow, that bad, huh? Pretty damning coming from a Norwegian as well - presumably you would know about him a lot more than us non-Norwegian.
I believe there are mixed opinions among Norwegians, so I would not take one, or two, Norwegian's opinion as "the truth".

i have only one question:

Understand why Amrabat is not good enough as our starting DMF, but how exactly is Berge better than Amrabat?

So Berge is out of the match day squad tonight, signs of him moving or just injured..

The pre-game reporter for Sky at tonight's game.
Ok, thanks. Could be true, or just as excuse. You seldom hear clubs admitting players are left out due to imminent transfers - not necessarily to United, though, maybe Fenerbache.

Ok, thanks. Could be true, or just as excuse. You seldom hear clubs admitting players are left out due to imminent transfers - not necessarily to United, though, maybe Fenerbache.
Truth

He is injured. It isn't a fresh concern as he missed their last friendlies.

He is injured. It isn't a fresh concern as he missed their last friendlies.
Great, Yoro gets injured after we sign him and Berge gets injured before we sign him.

Soon any player linked to us will get injured....

Understand why Amrabat is not good enough as our starting DMF, but how exactly is Berge better than Amrabat?
He keeps the keeps the ball better

How do you know people have absolutely no insight in Berge?? Maybe we just dont agree with it, and more trust the eyetest and the CV, and if he was so good as YOU try to tell us, why didnt anyone but Sheffield United want him after Genk, and why did he end up at Burnley after Sheffield United.. Even now here late in the window noone but us seems to want him.. That is enough for me..
For the highlighted text that is just embarrassing.. Please grow up

???

Berge is no where near the level of Ugarte. I've seen quite a bit of Berge as I am Norwegian and have seen him play for the national team, and he is nothing special. He might be a decent backup, but he is not good enough to be a starter for United. He is also not as mobile as Ugarte. I really hope we get him on the cheap if we are getting Berge...

The feck have you been smoking?

Graeme Souness is that you?

Okay then, go on and show me footage where Ugarte is better at carrying the ball, receiving under pressure with his back to goal, progressive passing, winning 1v1 duels, and ball retention.

This thread already proved that statistically Casemiro was better at everything last season, when he also was the worst regularly starting midfielder in the league.

So let's cool it on the stats, huh.

Okay then, go on and show me footage where Ugarte is better at carrying the ball, receiving under pressure with his back to goal, progressive passing, winning 1v1 duels, and ball retention.
I'm Norwegian and watch every national team match. I assure you that Sander Berge is not close to the level we aspire no matter how good he may look in compilations. Norwegian United fans are joking like mad these days regarding the Berge rumours because the idea of him playing for us is hilarious. It's not a matter of how good he looks in statistics, he is not a United level midfielder.

Maybe Ugarte isn't the answer, but he is a better player than Berge and it's not particularly close.

I'm Norwegian and watch every national team match. I assure you that Sander Berge is not close to the level we aspire no matter how good he may look in compilations. Norwegian United fans are joking like mad these days regarding the Berge rumours because the idea of him playing for us is hilarious. It's not a matter of how good he looks in statistics, he is not a United level midfielder.

Maybe Ugarte isn't the answer, but he is a better player than Berge and it's not particularly close.

I'm not basing my opinion on compilations where only the good stuff is shown.

I don’t know if you’re right or wrong in thinking it, but I’m pretty sure there’s no outstanding candidate who can do all of the things you listed (who are achievable and affordable, before names like Rodri gets thrown around). Given how much our midfield resembled Swiss cheese last year, I think having a player who covers loads of ground and is unreal at pressing would be a huge plus.

That's a fair point. i certainly don't have a list of players available who I think could fill that role.

I just worry about the idea of a player who covers a lot of ground and presses well being enough. Fred did that and our midfield was a mess.

Berge looks decent for Burnley in a similar way to how AWB looked good for Palace or Maguire for Hull/Leicester. Except he’s obviously playing at an even lower level than them.

Unless we’re talking about a midfielder playing well in a team that is comfortable with the ball, dominating games, lions share of possession, creating chances and not conceding 2 goals a game, it means nowt.

He keeps the keeps the ball better
Based on what? According to fbref.com Amrabat is better than Berge not just in defensive actions but also in possessions, take-ons, and carries per 90, despite the fact that Berge is not even a traditional DMF and played mostly as #8/central midfielder in a pivot

I think we need Fofana, he's quite similar to Mainoo (no one else in the squad is). He's less refined though more athletic. They could split time to prevent us from burning out Mainoo.
I couldn't think of anyone he's less like to be honest. I'd probably say a less technically proficient and more physical Mason Mount. I would be devastated if we go into the season with him as the Mainoo back up.

If ETH didn’t vouch for him I doubt Amrabat would even be good enough to play for Burnley.

I'm Norwegian and watch every national team match. I assure you that Sander Berge is not close to the level we aspire no matter how good he may look in compilations.
To be fair, if we're taking only the national team matches into account, Ødegaard isnt exactly a world beater either. Lots of players who are very underwhelming on that national team.

Reactions: Cheimoon
I'll say it again, but it's very annoying we just let Villla get a free run at Onana.
If we were willing to spend £50m on a DM we'd just have stumped up the cash for Ugarte who looked to be our preference (and Berge would never have even been mentioned). For some reason we're being frugal on price on Ugarte in a way we weren't for say, Yoro.

I also suspect Everton would have somehow plucked out a ridiculous price tag for Onana had United been involved.

I'm not basing my opinion on compilations where only the good stuff is shown.
But he is Norwegian and telling you it's mad to see him as a solution, much like I knew Darwin was piss poor and Brazilians knew Antony was at best a 25M squaddie.

But he is Norwegian and telling you it's mad to see him as a solution, much like I knew Darwin was piss poor and Brazilians knew Antony was at best a 25M squaddie.

I didn't say he was a solution.

I'd consider both Berge and Ugarte as stop-gap signings, with the club probably having a long-term target in mind who's significantly better than both of them.

I also think Berge is a better fit for what we want, despite being cheaper. I'd rather get the guy for 20-25m on reasonable wages to do a decent job for a season, instead of getting another not completely, arguably even less ideal player in Ugarte for 50m and at least 120k/week wages who will also have to be upgraded on and replaced relatively soon.

Ugarte will be harder to sell, and will make it harder for us to get someone like an Adam Wharton or whoever we want to address the midfield with. His peak value will almost certainly never rise to a higher number than the 50m we would be paying for him this summer.

With Berge, it depends on how much we would be getting him for, but if he does well at United for a few seasons, we can sell for a profit / not make a loss, or we can have a good squad player on reasonable wages that's satisfied with limited game time. With Ugarte, like I said, it's 99% that no one will ever pay 50m for him.

P.S: Darwin is far from being "piss poor".

I didn't say he was a solution.

I'd consider both Berge and Ugarte as stop-gap signings, with the club probably having a long-term target in mind who's significantly better than both of them.

I also think Berge is a better fit for what we want, despite being cheaper. I'd rather get the guy for 20-25m on reasonable wages to do a decent job for a season, instead of getting another not completely, arguably even less ideal player in Ugarte for 50m and at least 120k/week wages who will also have to be upgraded on and replaced relatively soon.

Ugarte will be harder to sell, and will make it harder for us to get someone like an Adam Wharton or whoever we want to address the midfield with. His peak value will almost certainly never rise to a higher number than the 50m we would be paying for him this summer.

With Berge, it depends on how much we would be getting him for, but if he does well at United for a few seasons, we can sell for a profit / not make a loss, or we can have a good squad player on reasonable wages that's satisfied with limited game time. With Ugarte, like I said, it's 99% that no one will ever pay 50m for him.

Could that long term target be something wild like Camavinga/Tchouameni?

Could that long term target be something wild like Camavinga/Tchouameni?

Only if the club know something we don’t and expect one of them to become available in one of the next transfer windows. Otherwise I don’t expect either of them to be on the market for many, many years.

And yet you will struggle to find a Uruguayan who isn't satisfied with Ugarte as a starter for years to come, while being desperate for some young kid to emerge and relegate Darwin to useful squad option.

If we were willing to spend £50m on a DM we'd just have stumped up the cash for Ugarte who looked to be our preference (and Berge would never have even been mentioned). For some reason we're being frugal on price on Ugarte in a way we weren't for say, Yoro.

I also suspect Everton would have somehow plucked out a ridiculous price tag for Onana had United been involved.

I guess I mean I'm more annoyed we've seemed far more locked in to Ugarte than Onana. Think the latter is a far better option as a true anchor 6 opposed to Ugarte.

And yet you will struggle to find a Uruguayan who isn't satisfied with Ugarte as a starter for years to come, while being desperate for some young kid to emerge and relegate Darwin to useful squad option.

This happens with national teams though, especially early in a player's career. Darwin's worst moments are laughable, but he's got 20 goals and 11 assists in 41 Prem Starts + 24 sub appearances in his age 23/24 seasons, which isn't bad really. Works hard, creates for others more than most #9s.

He's a level ahead of your useful but very limited starting wingers and in time should prove that.

But yeah, good sign that Bielsa preferred Ugarte to Bentancur. Would be nice to have a midfielder here that very few like playing against (when he's on his game) for once, and some legs to help out Mainoo and Casemiro and their mobility issues defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.