Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be fine as a backup to our main DM(like Ugarte/Zubimendi etc). But as a lone signing, leaves a lot to be desired.

15m-20m should be doable. If not then we move to Serie A/Dutch/French/SA/Belgian leagues. Its about time we stop getting fleeced by these mickey mouse clubs
I think absolute max is 20+5. I get there's a premium to pay as he is proven in the league, but with someone like Vivell on board, we could get Salzburg players with way more potential for similar prices.

He is? His compilations look so underwhelming. Looks like a slightly faster Maguire in midfield. Maybe I need to watch more.

For what we need, I think Berge is more ideal. Ball carrying, ball retention, playing and receiving with back to goal, passing range, forward passing, duel winning. Raises the physical flooring more, as well.

I am quite interested in how this pans out as I see this as an example of the new team in action with regards to recruitment. I have assumed they have done their studies and see him filling in a gap. The highlighted figure of £30M does seem very high; I guess it’s dependent on how they value him in meeting our needs.

I think absolute max is 20+5. I get there's a premium to pay as he is proven in the league, but with someone like Vivell on board, we could get Salzburg players with way more potential for similar prices.
Thing is though, is he? He keeps getting relegated

He's better than Ugarte

Is he bollocks

Nowhere near his level hence why he will be starting his third campaign of championship football today

There’s going to be some receipts in this thread it must be one of the most bizarre in Caf history regarding a player.

Sander Berge that good half of Europe is after him…..oh wait.

For what we need, I think Berge is more ideal. Ball carrying, ball retention, playing and receiving with back to goal, passing range, forward passing, duel winning. Raises the physical flooring more, as well.
I dont know what is most embarassing, United wanting this guy or see our fans bigging him up like he was some world class player.. I seen him compaired to Roy Keane and Michael Carrick.. Dont we as United fans have any pride left??
Its one thing wanting him, as he might be better than nothing, but to big him up as some world class player... Thats just embarrassing.

If he was as good as some in here try to kid themself into, some bigger club would have bought him either now or after Sheffield United.. There is a reason to why he ended up at Burnley..

Is he better than Amrabat? I’m not sure about this one. Seems like he would have been quite far down the list at the start of the summer so unless we get him for a good price then I’m not convinced. It’s one thing to overpay for someone who was a primary target and walks into the first team but to pay over the odds for a player that could end up being a backup with a limited impact would be a waste of resources.

If he’s any more expensive than Amrabat’s option then I think I’d rather Amrabat.

Signing Sander Berge will relegate us: he relegated Burnley and Sheffield :lol:

He's better than Ugarte
:lol::lol:
Is he bollocks

Nowhere near his level hence why he will be starting his third campaign of championship football today

There’s going to be some receipts in this thread it must be one of the most bizarre in Caf history regarding a player.

It’s hilarious. This is definitely one of the most bizarre threads because it’s a player most would have watched a few times a season over the last few years. Nobody seems to recall anything about him because he’s done pretty much nothing since being in the league. The teams he’s played for and times he’s been relegated proves that.

I said earlier in this thread that he’s comfortably below the options at mid table teams last season like Edson Alvarez, Norgaard, Lerma, Joao Gomes, Onana, Palhinha. I haven’t even mentioned the options the teams above us had. That’s how many players in the league can play that one position better than him and if I open it to CMs in general he wouldn’t crack the top 40.

He’s a bottom tier PL centre midfielder.

Is he bollocks

Was Nathan Ake that good at Bournemouth before city bought him? I don’t think having the best teams in Europe after a player determine how good they are. Some clubs sign players under the radar and improve players. He’ll be playing with much better players here than at Burnley. I agree with your first part though. He’s nowhere near better than Ugarte but They are both different style of players. It depends how we want to play. We do need a player with the same profile of Berge. A proper DM. We also need another number 8 or someone who can control a game and dictate tempo.

Berge will definitely be on the phone to his agent and the club trying to get this pushed through ASAP. To sign for a club like United after expecting to play Championship must be a dream come through.

I am quite interested in how this pans out as I see this as an example of the new team in action with regards to recruitment. I have assumed they have done their studies and see him filling in a gap. The highlighted figure of £30M does seem very high; I guess it’s dependent on how they value him in meeting our needs.
Not sure about this, we have a history with Berge going all the way back to Ole's reign when we were interested. Not saying the new recruitment team haven't been part of putting him back on our list, but I don't think it's a given that they've identified him as we scouted him extensively back then.

People are banding about £20m - £30m like it's a pittance or fair fee. The crux, however, is that might be the case for the lowest tier of PL footballer *at* a PL club, but going a level down, that same amount is a very big fee reserved, usually, for young players or special ones, relative to the Championship, not your run of the mill Championship player.

I find that quite bizarre that the distinction between the leagues, as well as the age profile and renown of a player is seemingly being totally disregarded by those throwing those numbers out like confetti.

@devilish also made the point that on the continent, £30m, which is closer to €35m, is landing you higher end of the league talent, just as it does in the Championship.

Burnley can obviously state whatever they want, but we shouldn't be going anywhere near such amounts as even £20m for a player like this who is a complete crapshoot at the level we are supposed to be aspiring to. Incentive based up to as eventual £20m is at least sensible. Rather that than jumping two feet first into the unknown on a speculative punt.

This is not a player you overpay for in any shape or form.

People are banding about £20m - £30m like it's a pittance or fair fee. The crux, however, is that might be the case for the lowest tier of PL footballer *at* a PL club, but going a level down, that same amount is a very big fee reserved, usually, for young players or special ones, relative to the Championship, not your run of the mill Championship player.

I find that quite bizarre that the distinction between the leagues, as well as the age profile and renown of a player is seemingly being totally disregarded by those throwing those numbers out like confetti.

@devilish also made the point that on the continent, £30m, which is closer to €35m, is landing you higher end of the league talent, just as it does in the Championship.

Sheffield United can obviously state whatever they want, but we shouldn't be going anywhere near such amounts as even £20m for a player like this who is a complete crapshoot at the level we are supposed to be aspiring to. Incentive based up to as eventual £20m is at least sensible. Rather that than jumping two feet first into the unknown on a speculative punt.

This is not a player you overpay for in any shape or form.
Think you are right but he's a Burnley player mate :)

looks kinda like Matic on youtube
Wouldnt mind him as a squad option, not sure if he’s good enough to start every gake though

Is he bollocks

I've not seen a single post from you in here that discusses the player itself individually, but dozens of them mentioning "relegation" and "championship" instead. It's clear that you have no idea about either Berge or Ugarte, which is fine, but it looks rather silly when several posters actually provide reasons based on the traits and tactical fit of said players, and you always just come back with a one-liner, guaranteed to include the word "championship" or "relegation.

Also, the bolded part: where did I say that? I haven't seen anyone say that from the posters who are open to the idea of signing Berge.

I dont know what is most embarassing, United wanting this guy or see our fans bigging him up like he was some world class player.. I seen him compaired to Roy Keane and Michael Carrick.. Dont we as United fans have any pride left??
Its one thing wanting him, as he might be better than nothing, but to big him up as some world class player... Thats just embarrassing.

If he was as good as some in here try to kid themself into, some bigger club would have bought him either now or after Sheffield United.. There is a reason to why he ended up at Burnley..

Once again...same type of post, making things up as well, also only fixated on the player's CV, absolutely zero insight into what actually makes Berge a decent candidate for our midfield. I also never claimed he was world class or anything close to that. Never seen anyone claim he's as good as Keane or Carrick were, either. Maybe you've seen a post saying he's a similar profile and didn't understand what they meant?

It’s hilarious. This is definitely one of the most bizarre threads because it’s a player most would have watched a few times a season over the last few years. Nobody seems to recall anything about him because he’s done pretty much nothing since being in the league. The teams he’s played for and times he’s been relegated proves that.

I said earlier in this thread that he’s comfortably below the options at mid table teams last season like Edson Alvarez, Norgaard, Lerma, Joao Gomes, Onana, Palhinha. I haven’t even mentioned the options the teams above us had. That’s how many players in the league can play that one position better than him and if I open it to CMs in general he wouldn’t crack the top 40.

He’s a bottom tier PL centre midfielder.

Once again, not really anything about the player itself. Same type of post everyone who's willing to discuss the player itself inevitably receives from the crowd that's being deliberately ignorant. I won't respond to these types of posts anymore. I know. Relegation hurr durr, championship hurr durr. It just completely invalidates the rest of your comment, it's clear you've not bothered to do the least bit of research about him.

If we could somehow get him and Urgate and shift McTominay in the process. This would be our best window in years! Please football gods, I’ve been punished enough.

I’ll take everyone’s word who is better than whom, but I just hope whatever bugger we buy works out

I am not against signing Berge. However 30m is a OTT. He's 26, Burnley had just been relegated and he's hardly a world beater. Roma was able to buy La Liga top scorer and a winger who scored 11 goals in the Serie A last season for less then that.

Now Burnley can stick to their guns of course. Good luck forcing their player to stay in the Championship when his career dream was just a step away. It will also hurt Burnley's prospects of signing decent players in the future as well.

We really need to stop appeasing these rubbish sides at every turn.
I don’t think we should spend 30m on him either. I think there are better players put there for that money.

I don’t think we should spend 30m on him either. I think there are better players put there for that money.

Those who watch the Serie A closely from the Italians side might know of the outrage caused by Todibo choosing West Ham ahead of Juventus. Its so bad that even the Inter fans had joined up in defense of Juventus to criticize it. Now Juventus had seen better days but from our perspective it would be like De Ligt turning us down for Atalanta or Nice.

The reality is that EPL/Championship sides are loaded which means that they can toe to toe with big clubs at the continent and win. Unfortunately they can also turn decent offers down and hold to their players. However there's more to football management then money and if Burnley force a player to stay in the Championship thus stripping him from his dream move then they'll suffer repercussions both on short term and in the longer term. Prospective signings might think twice before joining them in the future.

Irrespective of that 30m is huge money in the continent. A quick look to the Serie A transfers made so far show that two players were bought for more then 30m ie Douglas Luiz and Buongiorno (the latter being slightly more then 30m). In the Bundesliga its pretty much the same (Olise and Palhinha). Three out of four of those signings were done with English clubs btw.

Was Nathan Ake that good at Bournemouth before city bought him? I don’t think having the best teams in Europe after a player determine how good they are. Some clubs sign players under the radar and improve players. He’ll be playing with much better players here than at Burnley. I agree with your first part though. He’s nowhere near better than Ugarte but They are both different style of players. It depends how we want to play. We do need a player with the same profile of Berge. A proper DM. We also need another number 8 or someone who can control a game and dictate tempo.

Yeah Ake was highly rated Bournemouth paid 20m for him in 2017 which was a club record transfer at the time and I recall there was a few clubs besides City linked with him

On the other hand Berge is linked purely because we are broke and looking in the bargain bin for a player he’s nowhere near good enough but that’s obvious

I've not seen a single post from you in here that discusses the player itself individually, but dozens of them mentioning "relegation" and "championship" instead. It's clear that you have no idea about either Berge or Ugarte, which is fine, but it looks rather silly when several posters actually provide reasons based on the traits and tactical fit of said players, and you always just come back with a one-liner, guaranteed to include the word "championship" or "relegation.

Also, the bolded part: where did I say that? I haven't seen anyone say that from the posters who are open to the idea of signing Berge.

Once again...same type of post, making things up as well, also only fixated on the player's CV, absolutely zero insight into what actually makes Berge a decent candidate for our midfield. I also never claimed he was world class or anything close to that. Never seen anyone claim he's as good as Keane or Carrick were, either. Maybe you've seen a post saying he's a similar profile and didn't understand what they meant?

Once again, not really anything about the player itself. Same type of post everyone who's willing to discuss the player itself inevitably receives from the crowd that's being deliberately ignorant. I won't respond to these types of posts anymore. I know. Relegation hurr durr, championship hurr durr. It just completely invalidates the rest of your comment, it's clear you've not bothered to do the least bit of research about him.

Because your reasons are absurd and you’re making statements like Berge is better than Ugarte so getting into a deep discussion Is pointless

Your envisioning a deep lying creative mastermind it’s fecking mind blowing how your overrating a player who’s of championship level.

We’ll end up with a past it Casemiro and a player that’s a million miles away good enough for a top 10 PL side covering DM and we’ll get beat to top 4 every time.

Where’s the queue of clubs looking to sign this amazing midfield maestro? We’re bargain bin shopping because we’re broke that’s the only reason this player will ever get linked to a decent side

Last edited:
Because your reasons are absurd and you’re making statements like Berge is better than Ugarte so getting into a deep discussion Is pointless

Your envisioning a deep lying creative mastermind it’s fecking mind blowing how your overrating a player who’s of championship level.

We’ll end up with a past it Casemiro and a player that’s a million miles away good enough for a top 10 PL side covering DM and we’ll get beat to top 4 every time.

Where’s the queue of clubs looking to sign this amazing midfield maestro? We’re bargain bin shopping because we’re broke that’s the only reason this player will ever get linked to a decent side

You're hopeless I'm afraid.

Btw you said we were broke many times this week, haven't you? We've just spend 51 million on 2 players.

~140 million spent this summer already and we're not finished yet. Not sure we're broke.

Btw you said we were broke many times this week, haven't you? We've just spend 51 million on 2 players.

~140 million spent this summer already and we're not finished yet. Not sure we're broke.

Ok so we’ve got a huge budget and Berge is the chosen midfielder because he’s mint

:lol: Do you actually believe what you’re writing

It's a guess, like all others. The level of involvement Collyer has had in pre-season and even being introduced as a sub in the Community Shield against City (over Amass and Wheatley), indicates he's either seen as "ready" or he's up for sale. I'd tend more towards the former.

I expect the club wants to recoup half of the spending in sales (or something along those lines). Not impossible if we move a combination of Lindelof/Maguire, Hannibal, Pellistri, McTominay and/or Sancho. We also know MU apparently parlayed longer installments to ease finances. Broke is maybe hyperbole but I think the financial constraints are real.

100m£ net spend wouldn't be poor but certainly more sustainable and obviously by targeting younger players on 5+1 contracts the idea is not to go back to the transfer well for those positions for quite some time (hopefully).

To swim a little against the current while our squad has definite weaknesses, the rejuvenation started under Ten Hag and academy players stepping up will pay dividends down the road, IMO.

It's a guess, like all others. The level of involvement Collyer has had in pre-season and even being introduced as a sub in the Community Shield against City (over Amass and Wheatley), indicates he's either seen as "ready" or he's up for sale. I'd tend more towards the former.
Yes Collyer is going to get minutes this season but Berge (if he was to come) is an international footballer with several years PL experience. He is not going to be understudy to someone with a few minutes experience. Come on use your head

Could we actually sign both for the fee of Ugarte alone?
It seems so, but our scouts can't seem to find any midfielders in world football that aren't better than Ugarte for under the stupid 60mill they want for him apparently. They seem obsessed with the idea of Ugarte.

Status
Not open for further replies.