Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth are you branding United this? When we've bought a teenager for a fee probably in the top 10 teenager fees of all time, and whatever Zirkzee cost.
Plus inevitable late window signings to come.

I know we have money to spend. We seem to have bid ~15m on Mazraoui, ~30m on De Ligt and ~43m on Ugarte. Though we dont know if any of these deals would hinge on AWB and McTominay being sold.

But we're clearly trying to reset the image of the club as everyone's useful stooge in the market. But if PSG demand £8m more for Ugarte and we refuse, to go and spend £25m+ on some bottom half of the table tier player like Berge would reset whatever tiny progress we've made to changing the image. Just cutting off the nose to spite the face approach.

Thats fine, Burnley do not have to agree with your assessment... they took him off Sheffield when he did not have a long term contract to lean on
Of course, I'm saying it's not based on anything apart from a long contract, which is silly. It's not even a very valuable contract and they didn't invest a large fee into the transfer. That is not going to inspire anyone with aspirations to play for a bigger club to sign long term deals with them, it's counter productive.

Of course, I'm saying it's not based on anything apart from a long contract, which is silly. It's not even a very valuable contract and they didn't invest a large fee into the transfer. That is not going to inspire anyone with aspirations to play for a bigger club to sign long term deals with them, it's counter productive.

Which is quite obviously nonsense

For £30M this is the sort of transfer we’d laugh at Liverpool for doing and then subsequently moan that “why didn’t we just pay the money” when he turns out to actually be quite good.

For £30M this is the sort of transfer we’d laugh at Liverpool for doing and then subsequently moan that “why didn’t we just pay the money” when he turns out to actually be quite good.
That is how I feel as well, although I hope that it might be a bit cheaper than that if it happens. Just the visuals of a 2 instead of a 3 at the start of that sum could make some folks feel a bit better.

Well it's certainly nothing to do with his contract value, or him as a player. £30m would make him like top 10 transfers of all time from the championship.
Who said his contract value. He had about a year left on his deal when he went to Burnely for 12m. He is going to cost alot more than that after being the player of the season whilst playing in the premier league and having a lengthy contract ffs

Who said his contract value. He had about a year left on his deal when he went to Burnely for 12m. He is going to cost alot more than that after being the player of the season whilst playing in the premier league and having a lengthy contract ffs
I said his contract value as it would be a portion of trying to value him. 20m is a lot more than 12m, it's nearly double and it didn't really matter to them, the fact he played in the prem, when they bought him from Sheffield United. Maddison, went for £40m, there is no benchmark to suggest Berge is worth £30m apart from Burnley overvaluing him.

Like Emre Can, Adam Lallana. Good times

Well we're only willing to pay 43m for Ugarte and 50 odd mill for mazraoui and De Ligt. What sort of negotiating position would we have if we go and just drop 30m on Berge?

I said his contract value as it would be a portion of trying to value him. 20m is a lot more than 12m, it's nearly double and it didn't really matter to them, the fact he played in the prem, when they bought him from Sheffield United. Maddison, went for £40m, there is no benchmark to suggest Berge is worth £30m apart from Burnley overvaluing him.

If you want to ignore the fact he could have left Sheffield for free which is why Burnley were able to negotiate a fee below his actual market value then that is fine.

If you think a club will sell its player of the season on the cheap just because you want them too then also fine.

Burnley don’t agree with you, end of

If you want to ignore the fact he could have left Sheffield for free which is why Burnley were able to negotiate a fee below his actual market value then that is fine.

If you think a club will sell its player of the season on the cheap just because you want them too then also fine.

Burnley don’t agree with you, end of
I'm not. That's why they'd be getting close to double what they paid.

Why is it cheap? We're talking about a 26 year old that's played in Belgium and been relegated twice from the prem.

Of course, but no one else agrees with them who has an opinion on his value. That's the exact point I'm making.

Last edited:
I'm not. That's why they'd be getting close to double what they paid.

Why is it cheap? We're talking about a 26 year old that's played in Belgium and been relegated twice from the prem.

Of course, but no one else agrees with them who has an opinion on his value. That's the exact point I'm making.
Close to double what they paid after singing him below market value which makes what they paid less relevant than you think.

Who is no one else? You are a fan on the internet. Have United reportedly pulled out of a deal? Do Burnley even want to sell him?

Who is no one else. You are a fan on the internet. Have United reportedly pulled out of a deal? Do Burnley even want to sell him?
And so are you? Why would be interacting with you on redcafe if I wasn't? Even as a prospect he was only bought for 22m, a newly promoted team were the only team interested that paid 12m for him, even in the last year of his contract. Not a chance we or any other team buys him for 30m, because that would be overpaying.

£30m seems slightly on the higher side but not outrageous. Some people on here seem to think it’s still 2012. You don’t get Van Persie for £30m anymore. You get squad players.

And so are you? Why would be interacting with you on redcafe if I wasn't? Even as a prospect he was only bought for 22m, a newly promoted team were the only team interested that paid 12m for him, even in the last year of his contract. Not a chance we or any other team buys him for 30m, because that would be overpaying.

I'm not the one saying Burnley don't have a right to ask for 30m
How many years ago, do you know nothing about transfer inflation?

Worth it for 20m. Shouldn’t be the Casemiro replacement though, just a squad player.

£30m seems slightly on the higher side but not outrageous. Some people on here seem to think it’s still 2012. You don’t get Van Persie for £30m anymore. You get squad players.

They signed him for 12m less than a year ago :lol:

He's about to play his third season of Championship football....he's fecking crap

My god are we that desperate. Sander Berge getting hyped by United fans....

Last edited:
Worth it for 20m. Shouldn’t be the Casemiro replacement though, just a squad player.

That's the problem isn't it we don't need squad players we need players to come in and make a difference

We'll end up with a past it Casemiro and a championship level midfielder to back him up.....what a complete mess.

He could be one of the answers though. We need his sort of profile aswell as a mobile number 8. Someone to dictate play and control a game.

Completely agree. If I may whinge about McTominay for a moment, who I actually like as a squad man for us but it is time for him to go, he has never developed aspects of his game that's required of a proper midfield. He's poor in aerial duels, his anticipation is horrific and he doesn't show for the ball with any consistency or confidence.

Berge could be a very interesting acquisition for us, but the price has to be reasonable and we still need a proper DM to start for us.

I'm not the one saying Burnley don't have a right to ask for 30m
How many years ago, do you know nothing about transfer inflation?
I'm not saying they don't have a right to ask for it, my original comment was their valuation makes little sense. You're the one being weirdly defensive about his valuation. If you think he's worth £30m, grand.
4 years ago, when he was a 22 year old prospect and he's subsequently been relegated with 2 teams from the prem and is now 26. Is Wan Bissaka now worth 80m because of transfer inflation? Not really how inflation works.

That's the problem isn't it we don't need squad players we need players to come in and make a difference

We'll end up with a past it Casemiro and a championship level midfielder to back him up.....what a complete mess.
Why can’t people see this?

Guaranteed he’s deemed deadwood by Christmas if we sign him. feck me how the mighty have fallen,

I reckon he could actually do well for us. We need a good screen for the back four we haven't had it since Carrick besides Casemiro and his first season.

Ugarte is an obvious choice but his distribution I don't think is all that good but it can be coached.

He was very promising for Sheffield utd, but then got ACL injury. Not following his post injury performance. Was he good for Burnley?
Edit: just checked, not ACL injury though.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they don't have a right to ask for it, my original comment was their valuation makes little sense. You're the one being weirdly defensive about his valuation. If you think he's worth £30m, grand.
4 years ago, when he was a 22 year old prospect and he's subsequently been relegated with 2 teams from the prem and is now 26. Is Wan Bissaka now worth 80m because of transfer inflation? Not really how inflation works.
Being relegated says little about the player individually when he was playing for relegation candidates teams. Its a pretty silly thing to keep bringing up in relation to his valuation. My last response on this topic

If Burnley are demanding 30m, it's over as we won't pay that.

Sad as I rate him, at least he's better than Mctominay and current Casemiro.

Thats fine, Burnley do not have to agree with your assessment... they took him off Sheffield when he did not have a long term contract to lean on
The entitlement of some big club fans is absolutely ridiculous , again why should Burnley sell their player of the season on the cheap just because United want him?

His value to Burnley is a promotion back to the premier league quite obviously

I am not against signing Berge. However 30m is a OTT. He's 26, Burnley had just been relegated and he's hardly a world beater. Roma was able to buy La Liga top scorer and a winger who scored 11 goals in the Serie A last season for less then that.

Now Burnley can stick to their guns of course. Good luck forcing their player to stay in the Championship when his career dream was just a step away. It will also hurt Burnley's prospects of signing decent players in the future as well.

We really need to stop appeasing these rubbish sides at every turn.

I am not against signing Berge. However 30m is a OTT. He's 26, Burnley had just been relegated and he's hardly a world beater. Roma was able to buy La Liga top scorer and a winger who scored 11 goals in the Serie A last season for less then that.

Now Burnley can stick to their guns of course. Good luck forcing their player to stay in the Championship when his career dream was just a step away. It will also hurt Burnley's prospects of signing decent players in the future as well.

We really need to stop appeasing these rubbish sides at every turn.
I think given the fact he's in the championship 15m is doable

Well La Liga top scorer moved to Roma for around 28-30m, they also signed a young Argentinian winger who scored 11 goals in the Serie A last season for less. Juventus signed Thuram for less. 30M is huge money if you buy from the correct clubs

I think given the fact he's in the championship 15m is doable

15m-20m should be doable. If not then we move to Serie A/Dutch/French/SA/Belgian leagues. Its about time we stop getting fleeced by these mickey mouse clubs

Why would he suddenly turn into a prime Busquets? We know him. He is a very championship-level player, totally inappropriate for United

Well La Liga top scorer moved to Roma for around 28-30m, they also signed a young Argentinian winger who scored 11 goals in the Serie A last season for less. Juventus signed Thuram for less. 30M is huge money if you buy from the correct clubs
Indeed. If somebody offered £30M for our players that we clearly are dying to sell, they probably would be sold. And we are United, not some relegated chump club

I’d rather we see no change in our current midfield than sign him and that speaks volumes. Just another player we would ultimately want out the door a year or two from now if we sign.

Gyokeres played three years in Championship and below that. It's not just about how long the player is there.

He was off to Sporting (a Portuguese club) for 20m a year ago.

Last edited:
Gyokeres played three years in Championship and below that. It's not just about how long the player is there.

He was off to Sporting (a Portuguese club) for 20m a year ago.

20m euros + 4m euros in bonuses. He was also a striker and he was younger then Berge.

Status
Not open for further replies.