Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Burnley fans wouldn't agree, but having been relegated if a club like United comes in for one of your players you can't really stand in the way.

It would be very cruel on Berge if a large fee is slapped on him. He moved for around 14m euros (I believe) so anything over 20m euros would be too much.
Even if they didn’t get relegated it would be harsh for a club the size of Burnley prevent a player moving to one of the top clubs.

A hell of a lot more believable and realistic than everyone here who thinks Burnley will sell a player they just spent £12m on, 12 months ago, to Manchester United for £15m.
Between 20 and 25 would most likely do it. Wouldn’t pay more than 25 though. Think he’s the profile of player we need and would get the best out of our attacking players. Perfect age aswell.

I know Burnley fans wouldn't agree, but having been relegated if a club like United comes in for one of your players you can't really stand in the way.

It would be very cruel on Berge if a large fee is slapped on him. He moved for around 14m euros (I believe) so anything over 20m euros would be too much.
I don’t think they’ve got any obligation to him or us. If we want him, we need to pay what they want. The fact the championship season starts today is surely going to factor into it too.

Almost funny comparing Sander Berge statistically with a few other midfielders that people in here have been very excited about. If we compare him to flavour of the summer, Martin Zubimendi, there is really not much between them at all.

There is two areas where Zubimendi looks significantly better. Progressive yards he move the ball with each pass and interceptions. Zubi moves the ball approx 4,75 yards forward with each pass. Berge is at 3,75. There is a similar difference in terms of number of passes into the final third 4,61 vs 3,86.

But there is very little between them looking at number of progressive passes 4,91 vs 5,15. Furthermore, Sander Berge has a higher accuracy of his passing at 88,1 % compared to 85,7 % for Zubimendi. Sander Berge also makes way more shot creating actions from passing and goal creating actions from passing (18 and 40 percent).

But this could also be down to the way a team set up or quality of the team. Zubimendi plays in a top six team in Spain. In a side he has played for years. Sander Berge played his first season in a new club in a relegation side. Real Socidad are more dominating and makes more passes in the final third than Burnley. It will probably be easier for Zubimendi to find team mates higher up the pitch and in the final third than for Berge.

I was really surprised to see Berge «better» Zubimendi at completion rate as the Burnley team has way significantly lower average overall. Same with creating.

The other area where Zubi excel compared to Berge is interceptions. But this too is much of a style thing. Sandef Berge makes more ball recoveries overall than Zubimendi. He also makes more tackles, and their tackles + interception numbers are basically identical 2,96 vs 2,92 in favour of Berge. You might expect Berge to make more recoveries than Zubimendi as Burnley have the ball less. But it is actually the other way around. Real Sociedad are more aggressive and makes more recoveries as a team than Burnley.

Another area where Berge really stands out is progressive carries, carries into the final third and penalty box. He also lose the ball less than Zubimendi.

I also think Berge looks way stronger in duels. That is really not surprising considering his pace and size.

I dont think this imply that their quality and potential is the same. Zubimendi might be a lot better. But I’ve seen people using stats against Berge. That makes little sense in my opinion.

Thank you for actually taking the time to go through the stats and evaluate a player's individual qualities and performance. Berge, for example, may have been part of a relegated team, but that doesn't necessarily reflect his abilities or potential contribution to another squad. Assessing how a player fits into a specific team's system, style of play, and needs is crucial, rather than dismissing them based solely on their team's performance. Every player has unique strengths that could be a great fit in the right context.

In response to a different poster, every club out there has a team of analysts working for them who look at stats when assessing potential transfer targets. I really don't see much wrong in using stats to compare different players. Ofcourse, watching them actually play should be the top priority but it should also be backed up by the stats and put into context. That is how they minimise risk on potential signings.

For once it feels like our recruitment team are actually working and came up with a list of different midfielders all with some interesting qualities who would improve our midfield options but some people have already made their mind up that he's shit.

People complain about needing change and moving away from Glazer’s way of doing thing but they’re not ready.

Willing to bet most people barely know who he is or have watched him much if at all but have decided he's shit obviously. Like what I've seen in the clips.
I've followed him closely since he was bossing it for my local club at 17 and there is no way we should be paying 30m or whatever the quoted prices are. Even though he has been the standout player for both Sheffield and Burnley he hasn't really taken the next step since moving to England.

Maybe worth taking a punt if he's under 20m. Anything over that for players in their mid 20s should only ever be spent on nailed starters who will improve the XI.

I know only a highlights video but the Antony we have seen does not do any of these things, in terms of beating a man, going past on the outside, coming into the centre of midfield, playing forward and inside passes... why? is he better than we have seen, is he being limited by instructions? seems a bit odd really

Yeah, I did end up watching more of that video and kept asking myself why couldn't we have signed that Antony instead of the one we have. :lol:

Confidence plays a huge part in that, but also what instructions the player is given, the support they have around them on the pitch. It's a much harder league, less time on the ball, too.

I've followed him closely since he was bossing it for my local club at 17 and there is no way we should be paying 30m or whatever the quoted prices are. Even though he has been the standout player for both Sheffield and Burnley he hasn't really taken the next step since moving to England.

Maybe worth taking a punt if he's under 20m. Anything over that for players in their mid 20s should only ever be spent on nailed starters who will improve the XI.
You know what? How about a very low initial fee and heavily incentivsed, fair targets that bump that up quite a considerable amount?

We seem to be bargain basement shopping now, so if this guy is coming regardless, and his club believe in his ability, they should have no issue with the stipulations, right?

That way, even if he isn't up to it, we've spent pennies, and if he is, we're happy to pay the agreed terms.

A hell of a lot more believable and realistic than everyone here who thinks Burnley will sell a player they just spent £12m on, 12 months ago, to Manchester United for £15m.

We'll see.

I think it's worth mentioning that they spent €111.05m last season, with only receiving €3.80m for outgoings. Getting relegated was a pretty big disappointment considering that. Maybe they need at least 1 bigger sale now.

I think we will likely get Berge if there is an opportunity to do a deal for cheap. If Burnley quote some surreal fee for him and won't be willing to budge, we'll probably steer clear.

You know what? How about a very low initial fee and heavily incentivsed, fair targets that bump that up quite a considerable amount?

We seem to be bargain basement shopping now, so if this guy is coming regardless, and his club believe in his ability, they should have no issue with the stipulations, right?

That way, even if he isn't up to it, we've spent pennies, and if he is, we're happy to pay the agreed terms.
This sounds like a smart deal, for us. Not sure Burnley feels the same.

Uhuh, nahh.

Amrabat and Rabiot for half of that combined (including Rabiot's undoubtedly ridiculous signing on fee)

If we're spending over £20m that has to be on someone who can actually improve us and has a resale value.

Yeah everything you said is spot on, surely we can find someone better than this guy. The trouble is our midfield targets don't seem to have the same profiles, says to me they still don't know what they are looking for which is worrying to say the least.

This is the main concern

Why is every player we’re interested in so expensive? Where’s the cheap deals :lol:

It's all relative, United have received a huge amount of service from Maguire and probably has facilitated his fee from what we have recouped from him, whereas United got next to nothing from Djemba Djemba, in fact I'd go so far as to say United were at a detriment every time he was on the pitch.

Personally I have nothing against Berge, decent steady player who could do a job, not sure of that's enough for what United needs but it's better than an unpredictable Casemiro right now.
This is key, if he can do better than Casemiro for a season then it buys us time to scout, lure and sign a proper replacement. We also get to see whether Gore/Collyer can grow into proper first team players for us. If he can hold fort whilst any of the two happens in the background then he'd have served his purpose.

When you look at some other prices paid this summer, £30m for a Burnley level player is about right. I think he's bang average and doesn't belong at this level, but if you're Burnley then you are easily charging minimum £30m for a player if we're interested. If we think he's good enough for us, then that's about the minimum we'd be paying for a PL midfielder.

When you look at some other prices paid this summer, £30m for a Burnley level player is about right. I think he's bang average and doesn't belong at this level, but if you're Burnley then you are easily charging minimum £30m for a player if we're interested. If we think he's good enough for us, then that's about the minimum we'd be paying for a PL midfielder.

£30m is absurd what are you on

Ugarte and Berge are of a similar type. Who else is there? Fofana and Rabiot who are 6/8 hybrid types? We obviously want some defensive security/energy in the midfield.
Rabiot has not played as a 6 for some time.
Zubimendi does not provide defensive security and energy, I wouldn't say Fofana does either (defensive security)

So thats Rabiot and Fofana, who are different from Ugarte and Berge (Im not going to argue this one) who are then different from Zubimendi. Then there is Ederson

How on earth can they value him at 30m? They picked him up in the exact same situation for £12m. Trying to treble your investment is greedy as feck.

How on earth can they value him at 30m? They picked him up in the exact same situation for £12m. Trying to treble your investment is greedy as feck.

Maybe he played very well for them?
Maybe its late in the window and they need to replace him?
Maybe they see us coming?

They paid him 12 last season I'd expect they at least want 24 for their troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.