Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Guardiola, and Jurgen Klopp are huge fans of Sander Berge.

Dan Ashworth ran the metrics and learned that Berge was the ideal No.6 for United to purchase this season to fill a specific need in the team.

All these football experts love this footballer...

Yet: Guys called Hobby 'n' shit on RedCafe type out loud: 'Berge is awful'.

Hilarious reading some so-called 'supporters'' opinions on here.

Berge is ABSOLUTELY the type of signing Sir Alex Ferguson would have made. Under the radar. 8/10 performance every week. No headlines. Do your job. Shut your mouth.

Carrick/Park/Irwin/Johnsen/Schmeichel/Kanchelskis/Solskjaer/Hernandez/Evra/Vidic/Valencia/Pallister/Bruce

I swear if there were online football forums back in the 90s, a lot of you would be hugely embarrassed by the drivel you would have posted about those signings....

When Berge first showed up in the PL with Sheffield I remember thinking he's a decent player. Tall with some technical skills, a better version of McT at DM. I don't know if he has regressed or progressed since then, but for the right price he could be a decent addition. Still shouldn't be out primary midfield signing, but it seems our finances just aren't there at the moment.

Also, I never get the 'championship player' complaints. The championship is a physically demanding league and we need players who can rise to the physical challenge of the modern game. Lack of athleticism is a huge problem in our squad and Berge can rectify that somewhat.

We’ve gone from:

55 pages on elite talent, Joao Neves to;
23 pages on Sander Berge

<insert biggest, saddest smilie emoji>

If we're only going to sign elite proven A List talents then we're in for a bumpy few years.

Dan Ashworth ran the metrics and learned that Berge was the ideal No.6 for United to purchase this season to fill a specific need in the team.

Berge is ABSOLUTELY the type of signing Sir Alex Ferguson would have made. Under the radar. 8/10 performance every week. No headlines. Do your job. Shut your mouth.

Carrick/Park/Irwin/Johnsen/Schmeichel/Kanchelskis/Solskjaer/Hernandez/Evra/Vidic/Valencia/Pallister/Bruce

I swear if there were online football forums back in the 90s, a lot of you would be hugely embarrassed by the drivel you would have posted about those signings....
He was the ideal No.6 for United yet he’s only about option number 5 on the list, ok

It’s sad seeing people try and hype up Sander Berge

Yikes.

Massive question marks over recruitment if this one goes through he’s a championship/lower PL level player at best.

The question is in your own response. If we're playing a transitional game we have to be prepared for transition too. If we want to deal with THEIR forwards exploting the space we need the people staying back to be capable of defending that.

Liverpool were probably the best transition team of recent times and they were full of athletes: Robertson, Van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Henderson. City made a conscious effort to become a more athletic team (hence 4CBs) and that's how they won the treble. Arsenal, too. Madrid have a crazy athletic base, I could go on.

A backline of Shaw Martinez Yoro Dalot is athletic enough. Problem is Lindelof, Maguire, Evans aren't and we use them regularly. Our current RB backup is AWB who is being sold and Amass, a child. This is why I would be opposed to the De Ligt signing. He's not a bad player at all I just think we need more athletes in the backline + CDM.
You can play transition football with a high, medium or low block. You can play counter transition football or counter pressing football as well.

I agree with you that Lindelof, Maguire, Evans, AWB aren't suited. However the club is trying to rectify that with Mazraoui and De Ligt to begin with. The transition will take a few seasons on the pitch.

We have to be patient.

Good post. Fair points to be fair.

The fact that you listed big Pete in this car crash post is amusing.

He was regarded as one of the top keepers in the world when we signed him.

Yikes.

Massive question marks over recruitment if this one goes through he’s a championship/lower PL level player at best.
I'm on the fence about him (there also doesn't seem to be much smoke to it) but who would you get instead for less than £30m?

"You can sign young players without them being obvious duds like Dan James"

30m and 100k was reported by the sun.

And what has that quote got to do with Sander Berge... hes not even a young player.
If you bothered to follow the conversation you would realise the point I was making was signing Dan James was a stupid decision even if he only cost 20m and we sold him for a profit.

Evertime I come in here it's literally you abusing people who don't rate Sander Berge. What a fecking bizarre hill to die on.

Either Sander Berge's mum or a troll. Needs flushed either way.

I never thought a Sander Berge thread could get up to 23 pages in a matter of days, and have different factions at war. Only on the Caf :lol:

I love it that when we signed Answorth and the rest of them there's excitement that he's gonna bring some Brigthon style cheap underrated player.
But when we're trying to sign cheap underrated player, the fans were like "NO NOT THAT ONE" :lol:

Yikes.

:lol::wenger:

Usual moaners aside, would be great squad signing.

I give this a 6/10. I love a good rant, i can sense the true anger and despair here but you are holding back. Not enough insults and the praise could be higher.
I mean, 8/10 performances every week? You are selling the poor guy short here.

Good post, unfortunately some on here think we need to be like Madrid and Barcelona and sign superstars.

Wijnaldum and Henderson are great examples of buying the right players for your system.

The whole point of scouting is to have a number of options for any position you want to strengthen. Can't get 1st or 2nd choice then you move down the list or wait for another window to try for 1st or 2nd choice again.

I typed in "Antony Highlights Ajax" and got this. Only watched a few seconds to check it wasn't a troll video.

I know only a highlights video but the Antony we have seen does not do any of these things, in terms of beating a man, going past on the outside, coming into the centre of midfield, playing forward and inside passes... why? is he better than we have seen, is he being limited by instructions? seems a bit odd really

The only way I could be on board with this is if it means we will still be in the market for a big upgrade next summer.

We need a DM now and if there’s not much available for what we can afford then we need to bring in the best option for what we can afford.

If our new set up hasn’t had time to scout properly (which I would imagine is the case), we can’t get clubs to budge on the price for our preferred options (also likely) and this is what we are left with, then for a very affordable price it makes sense.

We are still undoing the work of the last 10 years and unfortunately this is just part of it.

If he was being picked by our old hierarchy, I would be quite dubious, but you can't complain for years about not having a great back office, and then immediately question them when they try to sign one of these types of players, the exact type that everyone moans about us never signing. I will genuinely take any midfielder at this point, and if Ashworth etc. rate him for the price, then I'm happy. Getting so sick of people boiling signings down to fecking stat card comparisons as well, we're not playing Pokémon.

Willing to bet most people barely know who he is or have watched him much if at all but have decided he's shit obviously. Like what I've seen in the clips.

The only right part in your post is the one about Klopp. There has been several reports over the years about how big of a fan Klopp is of Berge (was linked with them as late as last summer and Echo namedropped a possible hijack of this potential transfer as something Liverpool could/should look into), which has sometimes led me to question my own view of Berge - which hasn't been positive since he made his move to England (mainly due to underperforming for Norway). Granted, I never fully understood the hype (found him decent to good instead of a great talent) when he broke through at Vålerenga, but he also had the stats back then to back it up and had quite a few top clubs sniffing around. His move to Genk was a very good choice and worked well for his development.

Like I said, whilst I don't see him as a solution to our midfield, I do think this potential transfer highlights the issues we got in the centre of the team. Berge would be our second best midfielder instantly on paper and that is not very positive at all. As a supplementary squad option on the other hand, he could be an interesting option.

Hang on, has this guy played for Ajax? That's usually a key element.

:lol::wenger:

Usual moaners aside, would be great squad signing.

Shame we’re not in a position to be making squad signings when the first 11 is a mess we need genuine quality not a player about to spend his third season playing championship level football

Because he isn't cheap or anywhere close, and isn't underrated. Not exactly a mystery.

Spending ~£30m on a player who doesn't belong in a top 10 side is ridiculous for a club that doesnt seem to have a pot to piss in.
30m is a speculation from the Sun, you really want to believe anything from that crap?

No, I don't have to answer to the nonsense Zubimendi strawman from someone who hasn't watched both players and thinks he is some kind of authority in this thread.
I didn't claim any authority in this thread. I literally just showed you a comparison of their stats in the leagues from last season and how they appeared to be very similar. You could just as easily correct us with your superior knowledge of both players and why you rate one of them higher, if you watched them.

Most probably you didn't watch them too and can't dispute the stats hence these kind of childish responses. Makes sense.

30m is a speculation from the Sun, you really want to believe anything from that crap?

A hell of a lot more believable and realistic than everyone here who thinks Burnley will sell a player they just spent £12m on, 12 months ago, to Manchester United for £15m.

I know Burnley fans wouldn't agree, but having been relegated if a club like United comes in for one of your players you can't really stand in the way.

It would be very cruel on Berge if a large fee is slapped on him. He moved for around 14m euros (I believe) so anything over 20m euros would be too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.