Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting player. A little bit of Carrick and he can move past players like Frenkie with pace and power.

I would not be against this move.
Whatever you are smoking must be some strong stuff

Carrick, Frenkie in the same sentence as fecking Berge? Seriously?

Honestly - if Berge is the answer we are miles better off just signing Amrabat and keeping hold of McTominey.

Reeks of desperation and certainly a lack of ambition
Agree

Had a poor season but I'm sure he'd do better than Amrabat did with his chance last season or McTominay's actual midfield work. As long as the fee reflected his poor season and not being a particularly great player I'd be okay with it
He had a poor season? Did you even watch him? The second half of his season was great and he was voted Burnley’s best player last season.

If we were said to be buying Chris Wood and Hamza Choudhury there would still be some on here trying to spin it as a positive.

It’s completely dishonest to liken Berge to Robertson, Wijnaldum, Maddison and players like that. Berge has been in the PL for 3 full seasons and done feck all. There’s no way to spin this it would be a dreadful signing. A complete nothing player.

SheffieldUnited>Relegation>Burnley>Relegation> Manchester United. Yup that checks out.

He had a poor season? Did you even watch him? The second half of his season was great and he was voted Burnley’s best player last season.

Burnleys best player? The Burnley that stunk the premier league out and got relegated with a whimper?

Burnley's best player literally means nothing. They were the worst club in the league by a country mile.

Have some ambition

Burnleys best player? The Burnley that stunk the premier league out and got relegated with a whimper?

Burnley's best player literally means nothing. They were the worst club in the league by a country mile.

Have some ambition
I'm not advocating for Berge unless he's 1 of 2 signings for midfield but just because the team is shit doesn't make him shit

6 goals and 5 assists the season before, 1 goal 2 assists this season

Bayer, Odobert and Cullen were better

Honestly - if Berge is the answer we are miles better off just signing Amrabat and keeping hold of McTominey.

Reeks of desperation and certainly a lack of ambition
Its really scraping the barrel, and is this really the best option that can be conjured up by United's new Dream Team of Ashworth & Berrada..?
To add insult to injury I've heard that Burnley have now bumped his asking price up to a farcical £30M..... :lol:

I'm not advocating for Berge unless he's 1 of 2 signings for midfield but just because the team is shit doesn't make him shit
Korrect.

For me Berge improves the floor of the squad so I see value in it. Other clubs have picked up some strategic signings from relegated clubs, it's not a bad idea when we have no competent 6.

Have some ambition
Didn't Bayern Munich appoint there really crap manager?

Bizarre to point to these stats to judge a 6.

If we were said to be buying Chris Wood and Hamza Choudhury there would still be some on here trying to spin it as a positive.

It’s completely dishonest to liken Berge to Robertson, Wijnaldum, Maddison and players like that. Berge has been in the PL for 3 full seasons and done feck all. There’s no way to spin this it would be a dreadful signing. A complete nothing player.

SheffieldUnited>Relegation>Burnley>Relegation> Manchester United. Yup that checks out.
Well, we’ve never really replaced Fellaini, so Hamza Choudhury would be a great signing!

Pretty good stats for a 6 actually, surprised you went down this route

Interesting player. A little bit of Carrick and he can move past players like Frenkie with pace and power.

I would not be against this move.
Right, and he's playing for Sheffield united and burnley because you're the only one who can see these qualities im sure.

Korrect.

For me Berge improves the floor of the squad so I see value in it. Other clubs have picked up some strategic signings from relegated clubs, it's not a bad idea when we have no competent 6.
Raises the floor of the squad? The only non relegated team he has a chance of starting for is Forest and they finished 17th.

He would get zero game time in all the top half teams. I have no clue what you are on about to be honest.

The bargains from relegated teams have been players who spent one year in the Championship or just had their breakout year. Berge has been in the PL for three seasons and had two seasons in the Championship he is not like the others at all.

If your a Man utd fan - you should aim a bit higher then Berge. He shouldnt even be on our radar at all. New signings should make us better - not worse.

The team was poor - and he was the driving force of they're midfield. He's not good enough. He's not a good player.

Amazing people thought Burnley would sell him for £15m having literally just paid £12m for him a year ago.

And that valuation puts him squarely in the Gallagher/McTominay bracket. Despite being a championship standard journeyman who just played in a relegated side who conceded 2.06 goals per game last season.

But I'm sure we'll still see mental gymnastics to try and spin a £25m Berge signing as positive for us, and not indicative of terminal decline and accepting of our place in mid table obscurity that it really would be.

Raises the floor of the squad? The only non relegated team he has a chance of starting for is Forest and they finished 17th.

He would get zero game time in all the top half teams. I have no clue what you are on about to be honest.

The bargains from relegated teams have been players who spent one year in the Championship or just had their breakout year. Berge has been in the PL for three seasons and had two seasons in the Championship he is not like the others at all.
He's not as bad as you're claiming - he actually has attributes that can suit a functioning team, and he'd raise our floor because we have no 6 outside of Casemiro. I don't think Amrabat showed to be the answer and as far as squad quality goes, he's a good asset.

I disagree with your notion that he wouldn't get into a lot of other teams. I think Berge will move before the end of the window to a PL side irrespective of us being in for him.

How many people would have happily signed Tadic from Southampton in 2018 after his 4/5 year spell there?

Jesus fecking wept, Messi literally does everything Iniesta does at a level Iniesta never reached.

Messi was a better player, but I just loved watching Iniesta play from midfield. Remember that they played quite different positions, and Iniesta played that midfield role like nobody else, skipping past players for fun, finding space and linking up with teammates all over the place and having close control that was only bettered by Messi, but not by that much.

We were short in attack. We signed a player with a high chance of not working out. Stupid signing
If it works out like how Liverpool sign Robertson then you wouldn’t call it as stupid signing. Every signing always have risk. Spending less than 20m on a player in this current market will have far less risk than spending 50m-70m on a player like what we did before. We shouldn’t be forcing ourselves trying to overpay players and end up with no cash in the future again because we overpay on the wrong player when clearly our current situation is that we are still in processing to build a team and a squad meaning we are not expected to solve the problem right now, there are still other transfer windows when we can use the money to sign the right player at the right value.

If it works out, it will be bargain like Robertson, if it doesn’t then we can sell the player to get most of the money back or even more than what we bought like Dan James.

If it works out like how Liverpool sign Robertson then you wouldn’t call it as stupid signing.
Liverpool paid £8m for Robertson, who was 23 at the time. Hull also bought Kevin Stewart from them for £4m as part of the deal, so their actual outlay was close to bugger all. The fees being suggested for 26-year-old Sander Berge are all upwards of £20m, with zero hope of Burnley spending half of that on any of the dross that needs shifting in return.

The two situations are in no way comparable. I don't think anybody here would really care one way or another if Berge was signed for £8m with Hannibal going the other way for £4m. But that's not what's being proposed.

I like Berge. I think a lot of the fans will be pleasantly suprised with this signing if it does happen.

He's been rubbish for Sheffield Utd and rubbish with Burnley.........why on earth should this be our level?

He's got nothing at all of either Carrick or De Jong - your comparing a bang average journey man footballer with elite level players. Get a grip

And yet he was voted Player of the season and Players’ player of the season for Burnley last season?

I get that it’s not super impressive if you’re playing for Burnley, but clearly rubbish is hyperbole.

If we are thinking of signing him as an alternative to Ugarte, someone in the boardroom has come back from amsterdam with a lethal dose of wacky tobacco! If we are signing him as a possible replacement for McTominay, I'd rather we keep McTom, it's not as if he's a liability for us, just not at our level and it's the same story with Berge.

When you're in the Sander Berge thread but people are talking about Messi and Iniesta :lol:

And yet he was voted Player of the season and Players’ player of the season for Burnley last season?

I get that it’s not super impressive if you’re playing for Burnley, but clearly rubbish is hyperbole.
That's not a stamp on his quality. There were 26+ players who won those awards for 24 championship and the other two relegated clubs last season. How many do you think are good enough for United?

Comparing Berge to Carrick is about as ridiculous as comparing Weghorst to Ibrahimovic.

That's not a stamp on his quality. There were 26+ players who won those awards for 24 championship and the other two relegated clubs last season. How many do you think are good enough for United?

I didn’t say it was a stamp on his quality. I said it speaks against going to the other extreme and saying his performances were rubbish. Hell, I even stated in my post that the context of it being Burnley makes it less impressive.

I swear, the Caf will have you believe there’s only great players and shit players. It’s a fecking scourge.

Pretty good stats for a 6 actually, surprised you went down this route
Ekeke is famous for not watching players play so he probably didn’t actually know he was a 6, personally wouldn’t want Berge though.

If it works out like how Liverpool sign Robertson then you wouldn’t call it as stupid signing. Every signing always have risk. Spending less than 20m on a player in this current market will have far less risk than spending 50m-70m on a player like what we did before. We shouldn’t be forcing ourselves trying to overpay players and end up with no cash in the future again because we overpay on the wrong player when clearly our current situation is that we are still in processing to build a team and a squad meaning we are not expected to solve the problem right now, there are still other transfer windows when we can use the money to sign the right player at the right value.

If it works out, it will be bargain like Robertson, if it doesn’t then we can sell the player to get most of the money back or even more than what we bought like Dan James.
Liverpool had a left back to fall back on if it didnt work. You can take those risks if you are not reliant. We were reliant we needed a winger at that point. It left us short regardless if we made our money back it cost us that season. I hope you realise you lose a lot of revenue when you don’t have a successful season especially if you miss UCL qualification etc

Its really scraping the barrel, and is this really the best option that can be conjured up by United's new Dream Team of Ashworth & Berrada..?
To add insult to injury I've heard that Burnley have now bumped his asking price up to a farcical £30M..... :lol:
Maybe as fans we should put some faith in this dream team and allow them to do their jobs? I mean the whole reason why we wanted the recruitment team overhauled was so we could make more under the radar signings and identify good players for lower fees instead of just going for big name players from top clubs all the time. Anyway I think some of you are getting way too ahead of yourselves on this transfer. Listening to Laurie on talk of the devils yesterday, we have interest in him but he said nothing is imminent and it doesn't mean United are guaranteed to go for Berge. Also the £30M figure is coming from The Sun.

Klopp wanted to bring this guy to Liverpool but it just never materialized due to the current options available to them.' Sander is a proper footballer.

Spending upwards of £20m on a 26 year old from Burnley would not be 'under the radar' or a good player on a lower fee though.
Nobody has reported on a fee yet. And as we've seen with other players we've been in for this summer, United are prepared to stick to their valuations and don't want to overpay. In Berge's case maybe we would go for him if he's available for £15M or less but won't if he's valued at more than 20 for example.

Saw something about Burnley wanting £30m now which is example number 4000 of clubs trying to extort us because of who we are. Someone like Spurs or West Ham gets him for £20m or less and I am very confident about that.

I'd walk away for £30m. Silly feckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.