Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berge is a decent player and adds the physicality we need in midfield. He may rise to the challenge here, or at the very least, tide us over and provide a cheap useful option for a season or two.
What? McTominay is a far superior player in all aspects, and is the same height more or less.

What? McTominay is a far superior player in all aspects, and is the same height more or less.

PercentilesAgeDuel%Def. actionsProg. carriesForward passesForward pass%Key passesProg. passesMinutes played
S. McTominay 23/24Manchester United2723.245.743.24.245.412.21.82200x
S. Berge 23/24Burnley2676.859.080.025.274.636.124.03370

+ Sander Berge is faster.

Where did you read that? He was 10th in the Premier League when it comes to that one stat alone.

RJSNX21.jpeg

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5504921/2024/05/19/premier-league-2023-24-alternative-awards/

Based on that, coughing up the £5m Luton wanted for Ross Barkley would have been a much better deal when it comes to rummaging around in the bargain bin.
Ross Barkley as our new nr. 6? Don't think so.

Being nr. 10 on that list is actually quite good. E.g., do you see any United players in there? Where is Casemiro? Fernandes? Mainoo?

With casemiro staying a backup in Berge is not a bad option, especially with our lack of funds. Replace Casemiro next year with a first team player.

Bruno/Mount

Mainoo/Eriksen Casemiro/Berge
Frankly, I would start Berge over Casemiro.

He’s shit, what is actually going on on this forum. Are people so desperate for any midfield signing that they’ll get all hot and bothered over this clod hopper?

PercentilesAgeDuel%Def. actionsProg. carriesForward passesForward pass%Key passesProg. passesMinutes played

Touché.

This comparison also shows (as I expected anyways) that Berge is superior in basically all aspects that matter for a midfielder.

i
Just love ignorance like this
It’s not ignorance. It’s awful judgement. It really shows how dreadful some people are when it comes to assessing football players. Poor poor knowledge and vision.

Feels like a potentially shrewd signing at the prices quoted. Not sure it's enough but Berge plus one more I'd feel more comfortable that just Berge.

£30m is steep given that Burnley are in the Championship but for £20m-£25m, I do this deal.

McT won the all important - oldest player.

Feels like a potentially shrewd signing at the prices quoted. Not sure it's enough but Berge plus one more I'd feel more comfortable that just Berge.
It feels more like a compromise than anything else.

Could be disingenuous to display these statistics in the context you are.

It strongly implies they played in the same position, under the same tactical instruction.

I think McTom should be sold, under market value if needs be, but am unconvinced Berge can do anything for us and we really should not bid over 15 million for him.

Needs per 90 mins else having played 1170 extra minutes makes the comparison silly.

Interestingly they have exactly the same ball winning stats for tackles and interceptions. He's clearly a better passer and gets on the ball a bit more than McTominay, meanwhile McTominay scored goals but was better at it from the bench

Needs per 90 mins else having played 1170 extra minutes makes the comparison silly.

Interestingly they have exactly the same ball winning stats for tackles and interceptions. He's clearly a better passer and gets on the ball a bit more than McTominay, meanwhile McTominay scored goals but was better at it from the bench
The comparison should be to Casemiro and not McTom.

Well I read 18 million somewhere and not kept up with the latest news. In that case your right it's too much.
I understand that from Burnley’s POV, they want recompense for one of their star players and best assets, but the valuation and suggested prices are a lot for a player who has not been a standout in the PL, imo.

Is he though? I’m not a fan of signing Berge as we shouldn’t be targeting a player that’s just been relegated but Mctominay isn’t even a DM. He’s more box to box. So you can’t really compare.

I understand that from Burnley’s POV, they want recompense for one of their star players and best assets, but the valuation and suggested prices are a lot for a player who has not been a standout in the PL, imo.
So, 30m, according to the Sun, who also "understands that United would be prepared to pay £20M" and also that "The ambitious Scandinavian is understood to be excited about the possibility of playing at the Theatre of Dreams on a contract worth £100,000 a week."

So, the Sun - as the only news outlet - knows how much Burnley demand, how much United are willing to pay, what his wages will be and how Berge feels about it all. I'm impressed.

I'd take Berge but he'd have to be an 'as well as', rather than just him.

I'm hoping we still go back in for Ugarte or try for Zubimendi too.

Is he though? I’m not a fan of signing Berge as we shouldn’t be targeting a player that’s just been relegated but Mctominay isn’t even a DM. He’s more box to box. So you can’t really compare.
He's not even box-to-box. He's box and box. He's substandard anywhere on the pitch where we need our midfielders to be.

Yea fair enough, I'll rephrase, under 20 million would be a shrewd deal. Anything above we should go for better targets.

Ross Barkley as our new nr. 6? Don't think so.
Well not now. Villa snapped him up. Biggest regret of the summer so far.
Being nr. 10 on that list is actually quite good. E.g., do you see any United players in there? Where is Casemiro? Fernandes? Mainoo?
Maybe Burnley would take Mainoo and Fernandes in a swap deal for Berge, despite them being filthy no-listers. That'd solve the whole 'pot to piss in' problem.

Liverpool paid £8m for Robertson, who was 23 at the time. Hull also bought Kevin Stewart from them for £4m as part of the deal, so their actual outlay was close to bugger all. The fees being suggested for 26-year-old Sander Berge are all upwards of £20m, with zero hope of Burnley spending half of that on any of the dross that needs shifting in return.

The two situations are in no way comparable. I don't think anybody here would really care one way or another if Berge was signed for £8m with Hannibal going the other way for £4m. But that's not what's being proposed.

£8m was 7 years ago. 7 years ago, £15m-£20m was considered high. £15m-£20m in today’s market is basically like £8m-£10m in 7 years ago market.

Best Compilation I've seen, looks very good to me. Obviously huge, but fast and physical. Good dribbler and solid passer.

Against Liverpool you can see he is pretty solid defensively and good in duels and getting back. Seems like he should be doing more with his talents. Certainly see why we are interested.

Liverpool had a left back to fall back on if it didnt work. You can take those risks if you are not reliant. We were reliant we needed a winger at that point. It left us short regardless if we made our money back it cost us that season. I hope you realise you lose a lot of revenue when you don’t have a successful season especially if you miss UCL qualification etc
If we end signing proven top class, we will end up with Casemiro’s situation. If we end up signing young player, we will end up with Sancho’s or Antony situation. If we end up signing player who played for relegation team or championship for cheap, we will end up with Dan James situation. If we end up signing player who is unproven in PL, we will end up with VDB situation. If we end up signing player who is proven in PL, we will end up with Maguire’s situation.

We might should just not signing anybody so we won’t end up with those situation.

Rather than using Dan James as example, why don’t you post like stats or something to tell me that he’s not good enough. That way I could understand your point because using Dan James as argument is lazy argument.

If we end signing proven top class, we will end up with Casemiro’s situation. If we end up signing young player, we will end up with Sancho’s or Antony situation. If we end up signing player who played for relegation team or championship for cheap, we will end up with Dan James situation. If we end up signing player who is unproven in PL, we will end up with VDB situation. If we end up signing player who is proven in PL, we will end up with Maguire’s situation.

We might should just not signing anybody so we won’t end up with those situation.

Rather than using Dan James as example, why don’t you post like stats or something to tell me that he’s not good enough. That way I could understand your point because using Dan James as argument is lazy argument.
I mean when you you put it that way give me the Dan James situation, at least we shifted him fairly easily and for a profit :lol:

You can sign young players without them being obvious duds like Dan James (who was an obvious dud to anyone who watched him enough)

Also Sander Berge is not a young player

He's been rubbish for Sheffield Utd and rubbish with Burnley.........why on earth should this be our level?

He's got nothing at all of either Carrick or De Jong - your comparing a bang average journey man footballer with elite level players. Get a grip
I've seen couple of matches of that Sheffield team and I could say he is the only standout player I were interested with. That Sheffield is just awful to watch.

The only reason why this deal makes sense is if Collyer is ear marked for a much bigger role in the first team and Berge is going to be his backup. Huge huge risk.

You can sign young players without them being obvious duds like Dan James (who was an obvious dud to anyone who watched him enough)

Also Sander Berge is not a young player
Berge is not an obvious dud. Thats just crazy. 6'4 midfielder with great pace, great in the air, very underrated passer who has 5 years of PL and Championship experience, also UCL and Europa experience. He has a high pass completion rate, good at tackling, blocking, intercepting. And his most underrated skill is his progressive running with the ball.

He doesn't need to be our long-term solution at DM, but this is a rebuild and we probably can't shift Casemiro. Berge at 18-23 million is a very good price and would be a terrific option in the squad. He is McTominay with positional awareness and competency on the ball.

Comparing him to Dan James who had only 30 championship games is crazy work.

All this does is make me irrationally dislike any of the muppets that suggest McTominay is important and needs to be kept just because he fluked his way to a few more goals than normal.

fecking embarassing for a 6'4 supposed hard man midfielder having a 23% duel win rate while not being able to pass a ball forward either.

While I certainly hope (if we sign him) that Berge is a better midfielder than McTominay, using last seasons stats for Scott isn't a great comparison. He was being played as an attacker last season, and the further up the field you are generally the harder it is to make forward passes. It's why defenders normally have the most.

Using any of his previous seasons would be a better comparison.

As a standalone upgrade to McT, I'm okay with. As our main midfield signing, at that point I'm concerned. My impression of him is that he's not really a DM, so not sure he'd fit in as a Casemiro replacement.

I'm not advocating for the signing but he doesn't look bad in those compilations, better than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.