Music Sam Smith (Singer)

Non binary wtf. He/she/it is so annoying, James Cordon will probably announce a non binary status soon.
Why's it annoying?

Depressing but not surprising that people have gone to the non-binary weirdo stance rather than person that is non-binary is a weirdo.

That Piers Morgan tweet is exactly what I mean. Annoying (or better yet, causing "outrage") among old dipshits like that with your dress sense, your provocative videos, your lifestyle and music they don't really get is popstar 101 really. If anything it's amazing that it still works so easily generation after generation.

Saw Graham Linehan making snide comments about Smith recently too, which again is something I'd take as validation for my life choices. Imagine being someone Piers Morgan and Graham Linehan liked. *shudders*

And saying a popstar wants attention is like saying a fish wants water. Much more fun having this sort of pageantry in pop than "down to earth" Ed Sheeran style dowdiness.

Though, again, awful music.

very much a case of old men unable to adapt to the changing world around them.

They is an attention seeking prat.

Piers Morgan accusing people of attention seeking though. Projection much?

even more stupid because he's been involved in the industry, he should know the game. but he'd rather just do this whole faux outrage thing for clicks because that's all he's got now.

I think Smith's music is utter shite, but I have noticed that they seem to be irritating the sort of people who should be irritated by pop stars recently, so kudos on that front.
This then makes you think that this isn't an attempt at art or expression, but more designed almost entirely to wind up people, generate clicks, and focus even more attention on yourself. A cynical move to solely make sure you stay in the news.

Which is even bleaker.

pop star dresses funny shock horror

have you seen what harry styles wears?

sam definitely gets more stick because he's chubby and non binary. yawn
Dude, I'd say pretty much all of my knowledge about mainstream pop stars comes from this board. It's not something I keep up to date with.

So if someone posts a pic of Harry Styles in a gimp suit at an awards ceremony, I'd say the same about him.

I couldn't give a shit that Sam Smith is chubby or non-binary. He's still an attention seeking prat.

This then makes you think that this isn't an attempt at art or expression, but more designed almost entirely to wind up people, generate clicks, and focus even more attention on yourself. A cynical move to solely make sure you stay in the news.

Which is even bleaker.

I don't see why it's bleak in the slightest. It's part of what pop stars have always done, going back generations. And pop music has been all the more fun for it. There's often been a very thin line between "artistic expression" and provoking people for attention.

Even looking as far back as Elvis' stint in the army in 1958, we have stories of his manager being against "special service" because he wouldn't get payed for his performances and they'd be distributed for free, telling Elvis serving as a regular soldier would make him a bigger star upon his return and a carefully orchestrated release of pre-recorded music throughout that saw him have 10 top 40 hits while he was in the army. Now that's some cynicism.

Dude, I'd say pretty much all of my knowledge about mainstream pop stars comes from this board. It's not something I keep up to date with.

So if someone posts a pic of Harry Styles in a gimp suit at an awards ceremony, I'd say the same about him.

I couldn't give a shit that Sam Smith is chubby or non-binary. He's still an attention seeking prat.

well it's not just about you, the point is that sam gets unreasonably more ridicule than others, even though most pop stars are narcissistic af

He's gone in there with only one intention - that was to have everyone talking about him after the event rather than the show itself.

Look at this forum, social media and the internet in general - he's succeeded.

In terms of the identity, people can choose whatever they want but I prefer to go with what my biology teacher taught me at school.

A little part of me dies every time I see an email signature with pronouns after the name, but it is the epitome of this generation.

@fergies coat is right. If we start using the correct pronouns for people then people will want to start keeping hippos as pets.

So why does it bother you so much that it bothers them?

Because how does someone putting 'he/him' or other variants at the bottom of an email impact you as much to say it makes you 'die a little'. Like, really? It impacts you that someone is letting you know how they'd like you to refer to them as and to make them feel more inclusive? You'd rather be a bigot?

Because how does someone putting 'he/him' or other variants at the bottom of an email impact you as much to say it makes you 'die a little'. Like, really? It impacts you that someone is letting you know how they'd like you to refer to them as and to make them feel more inclusive? You'd rather be a bigot?

dying inside because of pronouns. what a snowflake

I don't see why it's bleak in the slightest. It's part of what pop stars have always done, going back generations. And pop music has been all the more fun for it. There's often been a very thin line between "artistic expression" and provoking people for attention.

Even looking as far back as Elvis' stint in the army in 1958, we have stories of his manager being against "special service" because he wouldn't get payed for his performances and they'd be distributed for free, telling Elvis serving as a regular soldier would make him a bigger star upon his return and a carefully orchestrated release of pre-recorded music throughout that saw him have 10 top 40 hits while he was in the army. Now that's some cynicism.
Elvis was drafted no?

It's bleak because both sides are just in a media death spiral where they exist solely to get a reaction from the "other" side. They seem to be opposing sides but in reality, are just two cheeks of the same arse. It's calculating, and in my opinion, vastly different from the comparisons to Bowie wearing Ziggy Stardust getup.

Why? Why does it bother you that much?

It's unnecessary, I've always found it relatively easy to identify if someone is a biological male or female from either looking at them or checking their name, or both.

So when I see an email signed off 'John Smith - he/him' I can't help but think well yeah... obviously.

It's unnecessary, I've always found it relatively easy to identify if someone is a biological male or female from either looking at them or checking their name, or both.

So when I see an email signed off 'John Smith - he/him' I can't help but think well yeah... obviously.

gender =/= sex

So why does it bother you so much that it bothers them?
You see, frogies cat, it's all about how people want to be addressed. One day you'll understand that, franches crimp. Naming or identifying someone as something they're not is actively going out of your way to be a dick. They're not going to suddenly say "oh shit, fergus cnut on RedCafe keeps fighting against this so I should back down and give them the win they so desperately need to fill the void of emptiness in their life."

A proper Bond song needs to simply involve shouting the title of the film with all the power you can muster, and for that reason i'm not a fan.

It is neither obvious nor unnecessary.

very much a case of old men unable to adapt to the changing world around them.

There is accepting change then there is Sam Smith the weirdo.

People like what they like and as long as they dont persecute others they should be left to like what they like.

Sam Smith decides to do what he does in Public. People are going to have opinion - thats what he wants

Last edited:

Ok but what if john Smith was a trans male who had changed his name to that. Then are you ok with that pronouns or all of a sudden "you can just tell". The truth is you can't relatively easy identity anyone who is trans and anyone who says so is lying.