Music Sam Smith (Singer)

Semper Fudge

Apt Tagline
I saw Sam Smith at a music festival maybe 8 or 9 years ago and he was incredible and blew me away. Incredible talent. Even I though am cringing a bit at the way he is doing everything he can to cause controversy at the moment. I guess it's working as we are talking about it but he is already so talented I don't think he needs to be doing it and the way he is doing it is all a bit naff and over the top.
They.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Old post I'm quoting here but the thread was bumped and I was reading through it.

Can you actually be gay and non binary? My understanding of gay was that it involves 2 males or females. If one of the people involved doesn't identify as male and they sleep with males then are they gay still? Genuine question.
You're opening Pandora's box here.....

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Old post I'm quoting here but the thread was bumped and I was reading through it.

Can you actually be gay and non binary? My understanding of gay was that it involves 2 males or females. If one of the people involved doesn't identify as male and they sleep with males then are they gay still? Genuine question.
It's probably just quicker and easier to say you're gay

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

That’s me and my girlfriend in the back of that photo. True story. It’s just around from Milk Beach in Sydney.
So you're saying you were about 50 yards away from ending the James Corden of music but somehow bottled it?

Big Andy

Bloke
Absolute fecking plantpot this dude. Can’t stand him, even before he started dressing like a complete cnut. Droning voice, absolute bilge.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
The Caf absolutely loves misgendering people, apparently.
I think many are just doing out of ignorance and not remembering. Not because they are trying to disregard their pronouns. I forget myself they want people to use they/them pronouns.

I suppose we could add the pronouns to the thread title.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I know one of the dudes in disclosure and met Sam when they got their break with them. Was really sound and the time, years ago now so who knows but seemed a decent person.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolute fecking plantpot this dude. Can’t stand him, even before he started dressing like a complete cnut. Droning voice, absolute bilge.
+1 on that. I liked some of his earlier upbeat songs, but ever since it's all turned a bit weird.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think many are just doing out of ignorance and not remembering. Not because they are trying to disregard their pronouns. I forget myself they want people to use they/them pronouns.

Probably a good idea.
Though considering the people posting seem to understand the current context you might be being a bit too kind with the first part of your post.

Sparky Rhiwabon

This person is such an attention seeking tool that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they cooked up the non-binary thing for attention or to progress their career which, to be fair, has worked a treat.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The Caf absolutely loves misgendering people, apparently.
Or the caf hasn’t got the time nor interest to memorise the pronouns of every man and his dog on the planet.

You’ve used “he” to describe both footballers and other posters a dozen times in recent weeks. Have you made sure you’re using the correct pronoun in every one of those instances? If not then it’s just pot calling kettle black.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Or the caf hasn’t got the time nor interest to memorise the pronouns of every man and his dog on the planet.

You’ve used “he” to describe both footballers and other posters a dozen times in recent weeks. Have you made sure you’re using the correct pronoun in every one of those instances? If not then it’s just pot calling kettle black.
But if someone asks that we use particular pronouns for them, then it's just common courtesy to do so. Until they say that I think it's fine to assume.

And people will still misgender at times - sometimes accidentally, sometimes because they didn't know, whatever. But what makes that person a cnut is when they double down on misgendering, rather than just saying sorry and trying to use proper pronouns.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

That must be why we end up with posts like this.
Attention seeking idiot, crying in his mansion because he can't cope during covid, and probably only came out as non binary to get more attention.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

It's silly because what they forgot when judging them is how they would feel if they were in them's shoes.

On another note, I've just learned who Sam Smith is. They have a cracking voice to be fair.

hodgey123

They have a great voice and some great songs. Their antics at the moment though make me feel as if they are hijacking a movement and whipping up hysteria to get maximum attention back on them

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think Smith's music is utter shite, but I have noticed that they seem to be irritating the sort of people who should be irritated by pop stars recently, so kudos on that front.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I just can’t believe their James Bond song was picked over Radioheads. I guess at least the song was suitably drivel enough for the movie.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying

The pronoun talk is taking up quite a bit of space by now, so it's hard to miss unless you comment without reading anything first. You'd also have to skip the OP, because ridiculing Smith's gender identity is a big part of that. Accidents happen, of course, but several people here are doing it on purpose to make a point.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Well worth re-posting this here:
Not pronouns, exactly, but I quite like this one, especially as a reply to the unfunny pronoun jokes:

What's the difference between gender and right wing jokes? There are more than two genders.

Edit: Just in case. The one you quoted was pretty good, wasn't a callout.

marktan

I don't really care for nor try to understand all the pronoun stuff but I do really like Sam Smith's music. I'm a sucker for melancholy, and his voice is magic for it.

dal

Inappropriate Behavior
Non binary wtf. He/she/it is so annoying, James Cordon will probably announce a non binary status soon.