Music Sam Smith (Singer)

United in sin

Him and Adele are truly awful in my opinion. I've heard him say that after his break up record he had nothing else to write about, and she's described her records as 'a break up album', a 'make up' album and whatever the hell the last one was, a divorce album?

It's like, are you people so self-absorbed that you have NOTHING else to write about than your own love lives?
I think they're both amazing power vocalists. If their personal lives give them inspiration to create good music (in my opinion) then I see nothing wrong with it. Some artists are purely formulaic and I see nothing wrong with that either if that's what sells tickets for them.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yup, and it’s absolutely baffling how many people have misgendered them in this thread alone that mentions the preferred pronouns in post 1 ffs
I mean, sure, the OP clearly just wanted to rant about how out of touch they are and decided to attack a pretty crap musician to get that rant out but there’s no real excuse for so many to then get it deliberately wrong. It’s basic respect like.
Not everyone reads the OP. You see the title "Sam Smith (singer)" with a music prefix and you assume it's a thread about the pretty crap musician.

And where do you draw the line with this "basic respect" stuff? From your posting history I'm seeing you use "he"/"she" regularly. Do you do your research every single time you use those pronouns? If yes then fair enough. If not then you're a hypocrite.

I don't mind wokecafe one bit but this microanalysing of every word everyone writes is utter bollocks.

phelans shorts

Not everyone reads the OP. You see the title "Sam Smith (singer)" with a music prefix and you assume it's a thread about the pretty crap musician.

And where do you draw the line with this "basic respect" stuff? From your posting history I'm seeing you use "he"/"she" regularly. Do you do your research every single time you use those pronouns? If yes then fair enough. If not then you're a hypocrite.

I don't mind wokecafe one bit but this microanalysing of every word everyone writes is utter bollocks.
Well, if somebody hasn’t publicised their pronouns then their gender can only be assumed. Sam Smith has been very vocal about their gender neutralness so it’s not really comparable at all. I mean, if I referred to everybody as they/them then I’d be misgendering a lot of people by doing that, probably even more than I may mistakenly do now, so you can stop being a smart arse because what you’ve said doesn’t make sense.

Nobody has microanalysed every word as you’ve made out. You’re feeling called out and lashing out for no reason.

For what it’s worth, the complain was more so about the numerous people who reference the lyric in the OP and still misgendered, you as far as I’m aware didn’t even do that.

Irwin99

I think they're both amazing power vocalists. If their personal lives give them inspiration to create good music (in my opinion) then I see nothing wrong with it. Some artists are purely formulaic and I see nothing wrong with that either if that's what sells tickets for them.
I disagree that Sam Smith has a good singing voice as i think it's utterly dreadful but do you not think that writing album after album only about relationship break ups is a tad self-indulgent? Especially when both singers have said that's all they write about. It's artistic poverty in my opinion and if it is just "whatever sells tickets for them" then well, I guess I find that a bit sad.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I disagree that Sam Smith has a good singing voice as i think it's utterly dreadful but do you not think that writing album after album only about relationship break ups is a tad self-indulgent? Especially when both singers have said that's all they write about. It's artistic poverty in my opinion and if it is just "whatever sells tickets for them" then well, I guess I find that a bit sad.
It is sad. "Oh but it makes them millions!" yeah and respect to that side of it, but they are still miserable. You only have to look at them both and their very public issues to see that.

United in sin

Have both singers actually said that though? Their body of work is not entirely consisted of breakup material, so maybe they're talking about what specific themes in their respective body of work moves them the most, I don't know. Perhaps you missed something and there's some context lacking

They've collaborated with a slew of songwriters and producers with different styles and have recorded songs with different themes/ideas and sonic soundscapes

Last edited:

arthurka

His music is fecking awful. Would rather listen to Ed Sheeran every day for the rest of the year than one whole song from this cnut.
Thank you sir this needed saying.

Sam Smith they are both terrible.

Irwin99

Have both singers actually said that though? Their body of work is not entirely consisted of breakup material, so maybe they're talking about what specific themes in their music moves them the most, I don't know. Perhaps you missed something and there's some context lacking

They've collaborated with a slew of songwriters and producers with different styles and have recorded songs with different themes/ideas and sonic soundscapes
Well I do remember reading Sam Smith saying that he needed more relationships for writing material for his music after his breakthrough record. Also Adele's 'make up' album that followed her 'break up' album was meant to be less relationship focused but it follows the same self-absorption ...and then of course the divorce album becomes her next theme. It just doesn't do anything for me. Personally I feel that both are very shallow musicians when it comes to how they think about lyrics and how they see themselves, but i guess it's just a matter of taste.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I saw him a few years ago at a music festival not expecting much but he was absolutely amazing even though his music isn't my thing. Incredible singer.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, if somebody hasn’t publicised their pronouns then their gender can only be assumed. Sam Smith has been very vocal about their gender neutralness so it’s not really comparable at all. I mean, if I referred to everybody as they/them then I’d be misgendering a lot of people by doing that, probably even more than I may mistakenly do now, so you can stop being a smart arse because what you’ve said doesn’t make sense.

Nobody has microanalysed every word as you’ve made out. You’re feeling called out and lashing out for no reason.

For what it’s worth, the complain was more so about the numerous people who reference the lyric in the OP and still misgendered, you as far as I’m aware didn’t even do that.
Hold on. What? This can’t be right, surely? Obviously individuals can have preferred pronouns but I always thought the whole point of using they/them as a default pronoun is because that way it’s impossible to misgender someone?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why is it that Sam Smith is a bit of a 'media darling' ?

A few months ago a fan took a photo of him and his security team were nasty to her and the media go along with this ridiculous thing where they call him a "they"

Here is a snippet of a story about him in the Daily Mail recently...

For god sakes, it sounds like we are talking about 2 or more people, it's ridiculous and they are even using this language in my daughters school,

My biggest issue with Sam Smith being a media darling though... is his song... 'Promises'

Over the last few years, a lot of media attention has been on the attacks women suffer etc, whether that's unwanted touching, sexual abuse, sexual comments, domestic abuse, murder etc... and that's a good thing because it happens a lot and sadly people get away with it.

So, lets have a look at the opening 10 words of Sam Smith's song, Promises...

Are you drunk enough - not to judge what I'm doing ??? There are people out there who feed women drinks to get them so drunk that they can grope them down an alley and hope they don't notice, There are also people out there who spike women's drinks and wait until they are out of it enough not to be awares of what's happening to them.

For some reason Sam Smith can use that line in a song and there's no outcry - but any other male singer - most likely be criticised and told 'you're supposed to be a role model to the youth's'

Every time I hear that opening line I cringe... but I do wonder how it makes women who have been sexually assaulted feel.
People who deliberately address people with the wrong pronouns are numpties.

sebsheep

Hold on. What? This can’t be right, surely? Obviously individuals can have preferred pronouns but I always thought the whole point of using they/them as a default pronoun is because that way it’s impossible to misgender someone?
Yeah, that sounds off.

sebsheep

Are you drunk enough?

Not to judge what I'm doin'

Are you high enough

To excuse that I'm ruined?

'Cause I'm ruined

Is it late enough

For you to come and stay over?

'Cause we're free to love

So tease me, hmm
As for the song, when you put the whole 1st verse as one it doesn't really look as bad tbh. Just reads like they're trying to hook up with someone.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
if I referred to everybody as they/them then I’d be misgendering a lot of people by doing that, probably even more than I may mistakenly do now, so you can stop being a smart arse because what you’ve said doesn’t make sense.
I can only go by what I am told. But my eldest tells me that they often would use the pronouns they/them/their when they first meet someone and are not aware of their identity. Kind of a neutral polite way before making a presumption

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

That’s me and my girlfriend in the back of that photo. True story. It’s just around from Milk Beach in Sydney.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

That’s me and my girlfriend in the back of that photo. True story. It’s just around from Milk Beach in Sydney.
why are you both peeing into the sea?

Chipper

Adulterer.
If it makes any difference to you Sam Smith is openly gay and they wrote this song about getting into a no strings attached tryst. They wrote it after going through a breakup with their real life boyfriend. The entire song gives more context and your reaction is overblown
Old post I'm quoting here but the thread was bumped and I was reading through it.

Can you actually be gay and non binary? My understanding of gay was that it involves 2 males or females. If one of the people involved doesn't identify as male and they sleep with males then are they gay still? Genuine question.

Tibs

He's on an attention seeking moment, and its working.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I saw Sam Smith at a music festival maybe 8 or 9 years ago and he was incredible and blew me away. Incredible talent. Even I though am cringing a bit at the way he is doing everything he can to cause controversy at the moment. I guess it's working as we are talking about it but he is already so talented I don't think he needs to be doing it and the way he is doing it is all a bit naff and over the top.