Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

What would that mean to Europe? Obviously it would hurt Russia but I think he’ll probably be relying on Chinas aid. If I recall correctly, there were talks about the Chinese giving the Russians aid when the worst sanctions hit. So yeah, how badly do you think it would affect Europe?

I have no idea. Strangely enough I have never really considered it and therefore read about it. My guess is that it would increase the price of energy globally and some countries will regret not having enough nuclear power plants.

What would that mean to Europe? Obviously it would hurt Russia but I think he’ll probably be relying on Chinas aid. If I recall correctly, there were talks about the Chinese giving the Russians aid when the worst sanctions hit. So yeah, how badly do you think it would affect Europe?
Europe will need to buy gas from USA for tripled price.
Usa will hugely profit from it. China will profit because they will trade with Russia. Europe and Russia will take a hit. After few months, some Euro countries will say; feck this shit, that is not my war.

So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I still don't think a full-scale invasion will happen. I can see Russian troops moving into Luhansk and Donetsk, but I don't think they'll escalate toward Kyiv.
I don’t get what Putin gains from this. Unless it was all a bluff that backfired and now this is the only way to back out and save face. I don’t see how him taking Luhansk and Donetsk but pushing the rest of Ukraine even further to the west whilst also being massively sanctioned gets him anywhere.

He’s not going to do that. He’s not going after Baltic states. As I recall he didn’t particularly see them as ‘Soviet’ as he does Ukraine for instance. It would be suicide to attack NATO, when he’d already be heavily involved in Ukraine. It’s just not going to happen, unless he totally lost his marbles, which I don’t think he has.

Yeah I'm of the opinion that he is about to lose his marbles. Big time. He's not there yet but as he gets more power he will surely go mad.

He may start out with Ukraine but if it is clear that the West does not have the ability to stop him, then what is his limit?

Yeah tell me about energy bills in UK but I’m under the impression that UK doesn’t receive a lot of its energy from Russia. Something like less than 10%?

It’s about 5% I think but if Russia turn off their pipelines it will put up demand on other sources which will increase the price.

How good and deep are you at history? Do you speak the languages (Russian or Ukrainian)? Putin is creating a totally alternative history that exists only in his mind.

A journalist on portuguese tv just summed it up nicely, for russian leaders, history is unpredictable.

Apologies for being a bit on the aggressive side towards you initially but this whole thing is just really hitting it home. By the way, Ukraine doesn’t have concentration camps for ethnic Russians, meanwhile:

There’s really only one side that shows Nazi colors in all this.

Likewise, my apologies as well. It’s obviously a very emotive subject and it’s easy to get dragged away from the fact that we could be witnessing 10 of thousands of body bags in the next few weeks. Listening to that Putin speech I was genuinely terrified about what could happen in the near future.

Also, I know there are absolute scumbags that operate in LNR and DNR. Some of their commanders whom have now been killed were war criminals. Givi is one example. I have no illusions about what’s happened in those regions and how Putin exploited that situation.

Yeah tell me about energy bills in UK but I’m under the impression that UK doesn’t receive a lot of its energy from Russia. Something like less than 10%?

Gas prices are predominantly a supply and demand market. There have been concerns about supply due to Covid related shutdowns, Russia etc which has already seen EU gas prices rise by 1,000% in 12 months as demand has come back: https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/eu-natural-gas

If 40% of Europe's gas supply goes, the demand on every other source goes through the roof and so does the price. I don't know if there is even enough spare tanker ship capacity in the global market to cart the quantities that would be needed, I doubt it.

Imo, he will annex those two regions and send army there. I still don't see what he gets from full invasion. And what he would get from total occupation?
IMO he doesn’t need those territories, he could have recognized them and occupied them long time ago, what he really wants is to be in charge of Ukraine course.

I don’t get what Putin gains from this. Unless it was all a bluff that backfired and now this is the only way to back out and save face. I don’t see how him taking Luhansk and Donetsk but pushing the rest of Ukraine even further to the west whilst also being massively sanctioned gets him anywhere.
But there's no confirmation yet that he'll be 'massively sanctioned'. And so far the first signals coming from Western officials reflect that.

I have no idea. Strangely enough I have never really considered it and therefore read about it. My guess is that it would increase the price of energy globally and some countries will regret not having enough nuclear power plants.
Yeah I’ve just started to delve into that, reading a bit about it the energy agenda. Is there a way that Russia could supply just enough gas to Germany in order to keep Nord Stream 2 project going, or does Putin not rely on it as much as the West think he does?

But there's no confirmation yet that he'll be 'massively sanctioned'. And so far the first signals coming from Western officials reflect that.
I don’t quite get how that is the case. When the US ones were announced they specifically said these aren’t the tough sanctions. The second Russian tanks roll across the border there will undoubtedly be huge sanctions.

He’s not going to do that. He’s not going after Baltic states. As I recall he didn’t particularly see them as ‘Soviet’ as he does Ukraine for instance. It would be suicide to attack NATO, when he’d already be heavily involved in Ukraine. It’s just not going to happen, unless he totally lost his marbles, which I don’t think he has.
The original 'Russian homeland' (the Rus, or Ruthenia) in some views comprises of Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine, and that's what Putin is invoking here, to my knowledge. There is no guarantee he wouldn't invoke something else next though; I'm sure there will always be something to justify whatever action he wants to take.

The bigger issue for Putin with the Baltic states, however, is that they're NATO members, and any action against a NATO member is officially an action against all NATO members.

Yeah I'm of the opinion that he is about to lose his marbles. Big time. He's not there yet but as he gets more power he will surely go mad.

He may start out with Ukraine but if it is clear that the West does not have the ability to stop him, then what is his limit?
Well NATO is his limit. Article 5 is his limit. He will not attack a NATO state — I’m absolutely sure of this.

Putin appears to have crossed the Rubicon and is probably incentivized to go big at this point, since there's no way he can ever go back to where he was in the international order before all of this happened.

The original 'Russian homeland' (the Rus, or Ruthenia) in some views comprises of Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine, and that's what Putin is invoking here, to my knowledge. There is no guarantee he wouldn't invoke something else next though; I'm sure there will always be something to justify whatever action he wants to take.

The bigger issue for Putin with the Baltic states, however, is that they're NATO members, and any action against a NATO member is officially an action against all NATO members.
Yeah, agreed on all counts. You touched upon that Baltic states are all NATO and thus it’s a definite no go for him. I mean I blood well hope so.

Well NATO is his limit. Article 5 is his limit. He will not attack a NATO state — I’m absolutely sure of this.

Ok. You seem very confident he will not test his might past the NATO wall.

I am not that confident. I think, if unchecked, he will try it one day and the West will be forced to push back with military might. That is essentially WW3.

So presumably there are Ukrainian soldiers in parts of DNR & LNR and a decision needs to be urgently made as to whether they fall back out of those regions or they stay and fight?

I would imagine Biden has urged Zelensky to concede the territory?

Ok. You seem very confident he will not test his might past the NATO wall.

I am not that confident. I think, if unchecked, he will try it one day and the West will be forced to push back with military might. That is essentially WW3.
We’ll unless he wants a total fecking mutual annihilation only after getting his ass handed in a conventional warfare.

I‘m not sure how the market works with contracts etc but many pundits seem to think that Germany will suffer most. If gas prices doubled in the UK again it would be a big problem for a lot of people.
Aren’t Germany 50% reliant on Russian energy after decommissioning their nuclear power plants?

Imagine China supporting Putin in breakout states claiming independence. Would be peak irony.

You're looking at it the wrong way. China supports Russia reclaiming land that "always" belonged to Russia. It doesn't matter how specious the claims are.

So presumably there are Ukrainian soldiers in parts of DNR & LNR and a decision needs to be urgently made as to whether they fall back out of those regions or they stay and fight?

Sadly I don't think it'll matter. If Ukraine are unwilling to provide the flashpoint, it'll just be created.

They’ll probably retreat to show that they’re not antagonists in this. I mean that’s what I’d do and cede the land to show the rest of the world whom the aggressor is, but we’ll see…

Ukraine controls over 50% of the Donbas area including the city of Mariupol. The chance of them just giving that up and retreating without a fight is very slim.