Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Yes, Ukraine has far right issues. Some units are clearly far right. Azakov(sp?) was a major driver of it.

No, it's not pervasive. Their far right politicians don't do well, and there's obvious and overt protests against their gatherings.

Yes, Ukraine has far right issues. Some units are clearly far right. Azakov(sp?) was a major driver of it.

No, it's not pervasive. Their far right politicians don't do well, and there's obvious and overt protests against their gatherings.

According to Wikipedia:

In the 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election all major Ukrainian right-wing parties formed a nationwide united party list with the political parties Svoboda, National Corps, the Governmental Initiative of Yarosh, and the Right Sector. However, the resulting coalition only managed to win 2.15% of the popular vote, and since the coalition failed to pass the 5% threshold it gained no parliamentary seats. No far-right parties gained seats in the Verkhovna Rada (Ukraine's parliament), as they all failed to win any single-mandate constituency seat.

There has been a European war ongoing for nearly a decade. It always happens like this. Geographical terrain people never heard about and a people most never cared about becomes front and center and then disappears from the news cycle. How is this going to affect most of your lives except give you a new face to yell at on a screen? Some might have direct relationships in the Ukraine, and they're the ones you should extend your sympathies for. The rest (including me) are just speculating on other people's misery. Where was all this four months ago?

No, no there hasn't.

Pretty much. People take "sides" in international conflicts for the most impossible to grasp reasons and then you see so much jingoism that it's hard to see around it, especially when it comes from the same people who criticise the right wing. Half the people in this thread genuinely want a war imo, going by the fetishization of military equipment and nuclear capacity. It's sick.

That's a horrific comment made without qualification or basis.

There has been a European war ongoing for nearly a decade. It always happens like this. Geographical terrain people never heard about and a people most never cared about becomes front and center and then disappears from the news cycle. How is this going to affect most of your lives except give you a new face to yell at on a screen? Some might have direct relationships in the Ukraine, and they're the ones you should extend your sympathies for. The rest (including me) are just speculating on other people's misery. Where was all this four months ago?

Pretty much. People take "sides" in international conflicts for the most impossible to grasp reasons and then you see so much jingoism that it's hard to see around it, especially when it comes from the same people who criticise the right wing. Half the people in this thread genuinely want a war imo, going by the fetishization of military equipment and nuclear capacity. It's sick.

It is possible though to call a spade a spade and take a principled position from afar. Isn’t that what international solidarity is supposed to be about?

No, no there hasn't.

That's a horrific comment made without qualification or basis.
The Ukraine has been in civil war since 2014. And that comment is qualified by any number of posts in this thread. I can quote at length.

It’s NATO and a mentally unstable despot. I do feel a lot more worried about where this could go now.

You are correct. No one knows what is going to happen. Just two countries deciding what the world should do. I am fed up of these 5 countries deciding on the rest of the world. They should get the feck back to their countries and stop interfering in other countries.

According to Wikipedia:

In the 2019 Ukrainian parliamentary election all major Ukrainian right-wing parties formed a nationwide united party list with the political parties Svoboda, National Corps, the Governmental Initiative of Yarosh, and the Right Sector. However, the resulting coalition only managed to win 2.15% of the popular vote, and since the coalition failed to pass the 5% threshold it gained no parliamentary seats. No far-right parties gained seats in the Verkhovna Rada (Ukraine's parliament), as they all failed to win any single-mandate constituency seat.

That's was my point. (well without the stats!) But thanks :)

This escalation is new though. Before we had some cordial paper agreement trying to keep everything sane. Now it looks likely there will be a full blown war between 2 rather large countries.

The question is will Putin be satisfied to keep the war to boots on the ground, or will he be tempted to push the big red button? It doesn't look like he is in a particularly good mental state at the moment.

It is possible though to call a spade a spade and take a principled position from afar. Isn’t that what international solidarity is supposed to be about?
Sure. I agree with that. Some (many I do not even agree with) have been doing just that. Others have been speculating as if this were a football transfer.

If the sanctions are going to be imposed regardless of Ukraine being invaded or not it makes sense from Putin's POV to go ahead with the offensive.

So you are claiming the Canadians trained nazis while fully aware of them being nazis. Yeah, can't believe it at this point. And don't give me the angels bullshit.

In 2018, the U.S. House of Representatives also passed a provision blocking any training of Azov members by American forces, citing its neo-Nazi connections. The House had previously passed amendments banning support of Azov between 2014 and 2017, but due to pressure from The Pentagon, the amendments were quietly lifted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion#Neo-Nazism

Again, either refute the facts or quit the direct insults.
You've been since the beginning of this thread putting the blame on the West, Nato, and the US for a military invasion of Russia (not the West, Nato, or the US) in Ukraine.

As the saying goes: if it looks like a Russian troll, and quacks like a Russian troll, it is probably a Russian troll.

It’s NATO and a mentally unstable despot. I do feel a lot more worried about where this could go now.
Putin for sure is not mentally unstable. He exactly knows what he is doing and why he is doing.
I remember when Russia took Crimea. While whole Europe was thinking what he is doing and that it will last for months, he in 10 days sent troops there, organised referendum and incorporated Crimea in Russia federation.
Every country/leader know that nukes are THE end. For all

This would appear to jive with Zhirinovsky's earlier comment about 4am on the 22nd.
I've been wondering about this.

I think you were saying Zhirinovsky knows nothing and its just a WWII reference @harms?

Would that not be a bit of a mad coincidence?
Forget about Zhirinovsky ffs. The guy is a buffoon. “4 AM at the 22th” is a reference to Nazi Germany’s attack on USSR that is going to be understood by most of Russian-speaking world above a certain age (the exact wording copies the beginning of a famous song, where a month isn’t mentioned for some reason — the Nazi attack happened in June, not February).

You've been since the beginning of this thread putting the blame on the West, Nato, and the US for a military invasion of Russia (not the West, Nato, or the US) in Ukraine.

As the saying goes: if it looks like a Russian troll, and quacks like a Russian troll, it is probably a Russian troll.
As the saying goes, if you can't refute the facts, you play the person instead. That's happening a lot.

What is he saying that’s not to your liking? That the West trained Ukrainian nationalists whom hold fascists ideology? Or are you sympathetic with their rhetoric since you, yourself, told me to go back living in Russia, without knowing nothing about me?

I find it quite amusing that you’d say that to an ex-British service man, whom went out to serve Great Britain in a perhaps naive show of appreciation for the home that they given me. You told me to go back living in Russia just because I’m sympathetic with people whom were abused/killed by Ukrainian nationalists — it’s a bit fecking stupid and now you’re looking for the head of another forum member for having a different view to you.

Wise the feck up.
No, he’s using a small minority of people (which every country has including Russia ultra nationalist within its ranks) almost as a justification for killing hundreds thousands of innocent people and invading a country in Europe in the 21st century. Anyone that doesn’t find that insane has big issues quite frankly. Who do you think has made Ukraine a hostile state it’s now (according to him)? Not the Russian aggression in the first place? You just have to admit that only country that is acting anything like Nazi Germany is Russia and that’s an actual fact.

Time for the block.

Oh, you cannot block staff!

Half the people in this thread genuinely want a war imo, going by the fetishization of military equipment and nuclear capacity. It's sick.
I'm not gonna comment on what people want, other than to say I can understand how you'd come to that conclusion, but I certainly agree with you on the bolded. I find it really unpleasant.

Putin for sure is not mentally unstable. He exactly knows what he is doing and why he is doing.
I remember when Russia took Crimea. While whole Europe was thinking what he is doing and that it will last for months, he in 10 days sent troops there, organised referendum and incorporated Crimea in Russia federation.

If this war is over in 10 days we can all count ourselves lucky....

According to Wikipedia:

Svoboda held 15 points of the popular vote which helped push through the language act which was obviously a big feck you to ethnic Russians. I’m not saying all Ukrainian are Nazi’s but they clearly have a problem and have had for time immemorial.

Russia has Nazi fanatics too and they’re all cnuts that need put down.

The Ukraine has been in civil war since 2014. And that comment is qualified by any number of posts in this thread. I can quote at length.

No it hasn't. You're expanding definitions to suit the purpose. (Just like your assertions that economic sanctions are a form of war)

And please do. I'm sure I've read quite a bit of the thread, but haven't seen any of those.

I agree with this.

I wonder, would certain posters be OK with Ukraine demanding that Russia should not have and should never have military agreements with China, because "safety and security of Ukrainian borders", or is only Russia allowed to demand that?

As the saying goes, if you can't refute the facts, you play the person instead. That's happening a lot.
What facts? The ones that Russia has around 200k troops near Ukrainian border, and is planning to invade it, after your beloved leader said that in live TV in an alternative version of history.

Please, do refute them.

Time for the block.

Oh, you cannot block staff!

Again, what I post is rooted in fact. None of it is some unfounded attack on an individual. The above is a good example of the premise I cite. Spoilered as it constitutes a side-topic when people might want updates.

Every European country have issues with Nazis I don't see how is this relevant?
Can we not derail the thread please?

@TMDaines @Revan He's been peddling disinformation and fringe theories for ages in this thread, but 'staff' I guess can do that. It's ridiculous but it is what it is.

Svoboda held 15 points of the popular vote which helped push through the language act which was obviously a big feck you to ethnic Russians. I’m not saying all Ukrainian are Nazi’s but they clearly have a problem and have had for time immemorial.

Russia has Nazi fanatics too and they’re all cnuts that need put down.

From what I've heard is it was more pervasive in the militia circles who may be 'attuned' to this kind of thing anyway, and was exploited by the powerful interior minister who was also a bit of a right wing nut and it filtered down into the police, but the president wasn't powerful/popular enough to remove him.

I don't know a whole lot about it, but am sure I read that in an article somewhere!

No, he’s using a small minority of people (which every country has including Russia ultra nationalist within its ranks) almost as a justification for killing hundreds thousands of innocent people and invading a country in Europe in the 21st century. Anyone that doesn’t find that insane has big issues quite frankly. Who do you think has made Ukraine a hostile state it’s now (according to him)? Not the Russian aggression in the first place? You just have to admit that only country that is acting anything like Nazi Germany is Russia and that’s an actual fact.
The irony of people taking Russia's sides cause Ukraine has some Nazis, where it is Russia who has been behaving for a decade now like Nazi Germany!

Civil war? C’mon. This is utter bullshit. Nobody believes these forces are anything other than largely Russian backed, funded and recruited.

Huh, that is tricky statement. If one side in "civil" war is supported by another country; is it a civil war?
Talking from personal experience here....

He definitely is mentally unstable. He’s completely paranoid and not well at all. I’m not saying that there’s going to be a nuclear war but this could be the start of something bigger.