Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Damn, does he not tire or something? How long is this speech going?

By the time he ends his speech people would have forgotten what he said in the beginning because of his ranting. :lol:

Oh I agree with you. I was just pointing out to all of the people laughing at Putin for "creating alternative history" that he wasn't entirely wrong in what he said.

That doesn't mean they should have the right to influence a sovereign nation that has independent from them for more than 30 years.
He is wrong because his premise doesn’t leave any room for ambiguity. He doesn’t think that Ukraine had existed as a nation before Lenin and that is not true. If he doesn’t leave room for ambiguity, you can’t retroactively expand his argument.

So it's ended.

He's mentally gone if he thinks more than 0.5% of the worlds population will buy that. For anyone who couldn't watch it to the end he said they are recognizing the new regions and if Ukraine intervenese (or Russia start a false flag operation, effectively) the blood spilled will be their responsibility.

Sounds like war is coming.

Oh I agree with you. I was just pointing out to all of the people laughing at Putin for "creating alternative history" that he wasn't entirely wrong in what he said.

That doesn't mean they should have the right to influence a sovereign nation that has independent from them for more than 30 years.
How good and deep are you at history? Do you speak the languages (Russian or Ukrainian)? Putin is creating a totally alternative history that exists only in his mind.

It’s not. Any one of those people isn’t any better, they didn’t get to that room by accident.

I don’t believe any of them is any better, but none of them has the power or control that Putin does. It would likely set off a power struggle in the Kremlin between the various factions and oligarchs, which would impede the invasion of Ukraine. It would take some time for any leader to assert control.

Ok, so recognising the two Republics and asking Kiev to suck it or he'll crush them.

If you're Putin or some other Russian president, there really isn't a good option. You stick with things as it is and allow the US/UK to train scores of thousands of troops who despise you and build naval bases and basically use the Ukraine as a proxy for destabilizing Russia under the guise of "freedom", or you try reach a diplomatic resolution (doesn't seem like anyone is interested in that), or you recognise the breakaway states and sure them up militarily and destroy the US/UK's capacity to wage proxy war against you. Russia loses in the last scenario but it is losing in the current scenario. Take Putin out of the equation and you still have a problem.

You’re a paid Russian troll right?:lol:

Not invading countries is the good option.

Wow

So he’s got his forces pointing a bullet at the head of said regions of Ukraine saying submit or I blow your head off

is that right?

now they’ve submitted and decrees signed for those regions….Russia might cross into those regions essentially crossing the border

Have to say, I was very open to the argument that this is all about NATO, “realism”, geopolitics, etc. However reading and listening to Putin, I’m finding it hard to escape the conclusion that this is fundamentally about an old colonial power attempting to re-assert authority over a former colony. And I’m saying that as someone with scant knowledge of Russia-Ukrainian history and relations. But he’s convincing me.
Surely that's what it has been about ever since people were mentioning NATO? Russia not wanting to allow NATO to gain a permanent foothold in Ukraine. Fundamentally, whatever the outcome it would always be seen as Russia maintaining authority over Ukranian matters insofar as that extends to Russian ideas of security and stability. It would be an easier situation to access if the West had simply stayed out and not spent billions on arming Ukraine. Because of the West's triumphalism in 2014, and rush to arm and equip Ukraine, it is a lot more difficult to absolutely dismiss Russian claims.

How good and deep are you at history? Do you speak the languages (Russian or Ukrainian)? Putin is creating a totally alternative history that exists only in his mind.

I studied Soviet history, but I don't speak the language - I'm of Romanian descent. I'm not listening to Putin's speech so I don't know the exact wording he used, all I'm saying is that there is that modern Ukrainian borders are in some senses a product of Soviet design - as I mentioned, some eastern regions were added under Lenin and Crimea was added by Kruschev in the 1950s. Of course Russia didn't invent Ukraine, I'm not saying that for a moment. I said right from the beginning, Ukraine existed before Lenin and before the USSR. I'm not on Russia's side here.

You’re a paid Russian troll right?:lol:

Not invading countries is the good option.
Not training 20,000 hostile soldiers and a battalion of Nazis (and building strategic naval bases out of opportunism) is also a good option. Pity that wasn't taken and so here we are.

Surely that's what it has been about ever since people were mentioning NATO? Russia not wanting to allow NATO to gain a permanent foothold in Ukraine. Fundamentally, whatever the outcome it would always be seen as Russia maintaining authority over Ukranian matters insofar as that extends to Russian ideas of security and stability. It would be an easier situation to access if the West had simply stayed out and not spent billions on arming Ukraine. Because of the West's triumphalism in 2014, and rush to arm and equip Ukraine, it is a lot more difficult to absolutely dismiss Russian claims.
:lol:

Surely that's what it has been about ever since people were mentioning NATO? Russia not wanting to allow NATO to gain a permanent foothold in Ukraine. Fundamentally, whatever the outcome it would always be seen as Russia maintaining authority over Ukranian matters insofar as that extends to Russian ideas of security and stability. It would be an easier situation to access if the West had simply stayed out and not spent billions on arming Ukraine.

I was receptive to that and still am, whoever leads Russia shouldn't accept that NATO increases its presence at Russia's borders. But you lose me when you cry about monuments being destroyed or talk about current Russia as if it was still an XVIII century empire.

I would have had more respect if he simply said "get the hell off my lawn!" than the unhinged ramblings he offered.

Surely that's what it has been about ever since people were mentioning NATO? Russia not wanting to allow NATO to gain a permanent foothold in Ukraine. Fundamentally, whatever the outcome it would always be seen as Russia maintaining authority over Ukranian matters insofar as that extends to Russian ideas of security and stability. It would be an easier situation to access if the West had simply stayed out and not spend billions on arming Ukraine.

Listening to Putin tonight, it seems for him this goes far beyond questions of Russian security and stability, and is fundamentally about correcting what he sees as major, trans-historical wrongs.

It’s been a clarifying moment for me anyway. Presented with the spectre of an old imperial power attempting to bully a formerly subjugated territory, I know what side I’m on.

I was receptive to that and still am, whoever leads Russia shouldn't accept that NATO increases its presence at Russia's borders. But you lose me when you cry about monuments being destroyed or talk about current Russia as if it was still an XVIII century empire.

I would have had more respect if he simply said "get the hell off my lawn!" than the unhinged ramblings he offered.
Monuments? I'm not on about monuments, the only thing of relevance other than Russian hostility is Western involvement in solidifying Ukraine as anti-Russian proxy (the troops, guns, warships, naval bases, and so on). I still think a Russian invasion of Ukraine is both wrong and ill-advised on Russia's behalf, which is where I lose support for Russia if it happens, but other than that there are very legitimate security concerns regardless of Putin.

The west trained a nazi batallion ?
Pretty much, yeah.

Did he (summarizing and paraphrasing here) blame Lenin for being too nice, basically?

Monuments? I'm not on about monuments, the only thing of relevance other than Russian hostility is Western involvement in solidifying Ukraine as anti-Russian proxy (the troops, guns, warships, naval bases, and so on). I still think a Russian invasion of Ukraine is both wrong and ill-advised on Russia's behalf, which is where I lose support for Russia if it happens, but other than that there are very legitimate security concerns regardless of Putin.

Pretty much, yeah.
Putin was.

Not training 20,000 hostile soldiers and a battalion of Nazis (and building strategic naval bases out of opportunism) is also a good option. Pity that wasn't taken and so here we are.

Any surprise that Ukraine welcomed allied soldiers after what happened in 2014? They were breaking no treaties. They can do whatever they feck they want within their own country. Russia, if they invade will be breaking treaties.

Russia can talk all they want of stability and border security, but it’s obvious from their behaviour, tonight’s speech being one example that it goes far beyond that. Supporting their imperial ambitions is as despicable as supporting America’s.

Just stop draping your arm across the fence and just say what you really keep hinting at. You at worst don’t think seem to think Ukraine should be an independent country or that the Ukrainian nation is a political construct; at best you don’t believe the Ukrainian people should have any right to self-determination and that they shouldn’t be able to choose to be modern, liberal European country, and that they should be a vassal to Russia whether they like it or not.

Yeah you will need to provide some sources for that.

You probably have me on ignore, in case not, I've posted it more than a few times in this thread:
https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/west...far-right-extremists-in-ukraine-report-682411
https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7d...-ukrainian-grandma-being-trained-by-neo-nazis

There's obvious historic reasons for this given the brutal Soviet and then brutal Nazi rule over the same territory. There is also a historic precedent of the west choosing the Nazis over the Soviets once the big war was done (for example, Waffen-SS divisions from the Baltics were not considered part of the SS by the US, the Forest Brothers who were supplied by the west and are widely celebrated freedom fighters today had a heavy SS component. Links for 1 and 2)

Last edited:
Next step is a referendum from Donbas and Luhgansk to join Russia.