Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

This speech is doing a good job of killing any hope at a line being drawn at Donbas.

Is this a tactic? Trying to paint himself as somewhat unhinged in order to increase the fear of his unpredictability?

Some broadcasters in the US have cut away. Wonder if Sky should be doing the same. We are doing his job for him here.

Now, probably yes. Though even in a fair election, he would easily win a majority, if not a pluarlity.

What about the last 4 elections? He might have been an unknown in 2000 so I grant you that, but what about the other elections when he easily won, without needing to 'steal' the elections?

When a nation chooses a dictator and keeps supporting him, they are to be blamed too. Same as how Germans were for Hitler, same are the Russians for the modern Hitler.
It’s not true, as simple as that. The last time it was true was in 2014 — after many years of slowly losing public support he got a lot of it back on the wave of patriotic euphoria of getting Crimea back… it’s just that in a few years people had noticed that somehow everything went to even more shit.

Putin gained a lot of his popularity from 2000 to 2008, which were the richest times for modern Russia because of the oil prices. He started to feck up a lot after that and there was a serious threat of him losing his power whatsoever (be it because of Medvedev or because of the actual opposition). He had reacted with brutal repressions that led to an era of stabilization, but he had lost a lot of the public trust at the time. Crimea worked short-term but long-term he had suffered massively — and he has been losing his loyal supporters left and right, be it on the back of raising the pension age or by, well, poor health & COVID that affects his electorate the most.

You’re talking about someone who is controlling all public institutions single-handedly — FSB, police, army, courts, government, press… he openly kills his political opponents without even hiding it, thousands are imprisoned for false pretenses etc.

We’re not that different from Belarus, which is a slightly caricatured version of Russia politically. Are Belarusian people responsible for Lukashenko being in power? They did vote him out because he overlooked one woman, thinking that no one would vote for a woman president. So how’s that working out for them? Putin is the same, just smarter & with a lot more resources at hand.

I don’t get emotional often but I am quite emotional now — do not talk about something that you don’t know anything about, please.

Guys guys it has nothing to with recreating the Eastern Bloc. Its a NATO issue

Meanwhile Putin

I can't follow this translation. I don't understand anything Putin is saying.

There were some people here very confident there won't be an invasion just a few pages ago..

Sky cutting to Doris pretending he's done well with COVID. Embarassing

Has anyone checked Ukraine is still there or we all watching this?

He’s even less popular in big cities. In the regions a narrative that Putin himself is decent but he’s surrounded by incompetent and corrupt people is still alive (somehow), in Moscow & St. Petersburg, where people get a lot more informational exposure, barely anyone believes that.

Even less popular? So you would say that he is highly unpopular almost everywhere?

It’s exactly like an overly long conspiracy video on Youtube. The first 5-10 minutes is funny for the level of batshit craziness, then it is really boring, and then just ultimately a bit sad when you see an old, confused man waving his fist at the clouds.

This sound like its going in the direction of justifying a full-scale invasion more than anything else?

Is anyone else getting that impression?

I am watching it and I have no idea what is going on. It is worse than Trump at his worst when he was talking about eight detached things within 30 seconds.

To be fair, I'd rather listen to a 'history lesson' from a nutjob than Boris
The problem is certain people will listen to this and be influenced by it, and the same audience will not have the same level of opportunity to have it debunked to them.

It’s exactly like an overly long conspiracy video on Youtube. The first 5-10 minutes is funny for the level of batshit craziness, then it is really boring, and then just ultimately a bit sad when you see an old, confused man waving his fist at the clouds.

Is it comparable to Perez ESL speech?

Feel like this is objectively a very smartly played speech; he’s addressing Ukrainian people here — those whom are unsure about Russian occupation etc.

This sound like its going in the direction of justifying a full-scale invasion more than anything else?

Is anyone else getting that impression?
I’m only hoping he has overplayed his hand here and this will strengthen the resolve of NATO and partners. You cannot make the claims and threats Putin is and let it slide. Basically wants to wipe Ukraine off the map.

I’m only hoping he has overplayed his hand here and this will strengthen the resolve of NATO and partners. You cannot make the claims and threats Putin is and let it slide. Basically wants to wipe Ukraine off the map.
But the USA?