Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Why would NATO do this? :lol:

Reading some of the "hot takes" on here and online has been something else. When people have to pretzel themselves into overlooking a right-wing autocratic regime and its actions to "land a sick burn" on NATO/US in a twitter thread, I just sigh in despair. This clusterfeck has probably been the tamest response the "West" could've gone with, but if you point out that Russia is acting like any typical autocratic regime seeking to take land, extend influence, overthrow a country then you're a warmonger. Somehow.... in batshit insane leftist spaces, preferring sanctions as the response to invasion over World War 3 is somehow a hot-take.

Have people learnt nothing from appeasing an autocrat??

Why would NATO do this? :lol:

Reading some of the "hot takes" on here and online has been something else. When people have to pretzel themselves into overlooking a right-wing autocratic regime and its actions to "land a sick burn" on NATO/US in a twitter thread, I just sigh in despair. This clusterfeck has probably been the tamest response the "West" could've gone with, but if you point out that Russia is acting like any typical autocratic regime seeking to take land, extend influence, overthrow a country then you're a warmonger. Somehow.... in batshit insane leftist spaces, preferring sanctions as the response to invasion over World War 3 is somehow a hot-take.

Have people learnt nothing from appeasing an autocrat??

Who are you replying to, I'm guessing it's not in response to the tweet that you quoted?

Who are you replying to, I'm guessing it's not in response to the tweet that you quoted?

venting after catching up with the thread. Only the first sentence was a response to the tweet. Then kind boiled over into a "old man yells at cloud" moment.

Joe Biden is so convinced he’s on the brink of glorious destiny that he’d believe anything his handlers whisper to him.
At this point it’s very hard not to believe him :(

DNR & LNR have both announced global mobilization.

Maybe when Russia invades Ukraine, the USA can sneak into Putin’s office when he’s not looking and finally get the dirt on Trump they need to finally arrest him. There is still hope!

Can anyone point me to any good journalists worth following who are currently on the ground in eastern Ukraine or Kiev?

Dmitri Trenin is a clown who has no insight into Putin or the Kremlin that's worthy of further discussion. Worst case, he's a tool of the Kremlin to promote pseudo-intellectual interpretations to satisfy the appetites of Western audiences that obfuscate what Putin actually intends to do.

Maybe when Russia invades Ukraine, the USA can sneak into Putin’s office when he’s not looking and finally get the dirt on Trump they need to finally arrest him. There is still hope!

Please, nothing Putin may/may not have on Trump would change anyone's opinions on Trump at this point :lol: :lol: :lol: That guy is literally immune to any embarrassing information with his cult behind him. Merrick Garland would take years to analyze the evidence anyways making the whole effort a waste of time.

So if I understood the situation correctly, CNN and the US have sent 3/4th of the Russian army near the Ukrainian border, and are making exercises with Russian ICBMs?

Nothing to do with Putin’s lust for foreign lands, and Russia’s tendency to occupy other places.

Am I right?

So if I understood the situation correctly, CNN and the US have sent 3/4th of the Russian army near the Ukrainian border, and are making exercises with Russian ICBMs?

Nothing to do with Putin’s lust for foreign lands, and Russia’s tendency to occupy other places.

Am I right?

I don't think they are stupid enough to try and occupy Ukraine.
It's more like the Cuban missile crisis.

What you see as waging war, I see as geopolitical balance and counterbalance. They aren't enemies, they are rivals. Sanctions are a quasi-diplomatic tool to signal 'hey, we're pissed' and deployment of military assets is a similar tool.

What you're portraying (US/Nato action with no equal and opposite reaction) simply is untrue in my opinion. And the portrayal of 'war' is wrong too in my opinion. They aren't trying to bend Russia/China to their will, they are trying to protect their interests with traditional means like economics, spheres of influence, etc. In the same way that both Russia and China are doing. A war generally has concrete objectives and time frame. In fact US war strategists/academics in the last 30 years or so have been parroting this line, because the more limited objectives are, the greater the chances of success.
Way better put than me, but precisely.

Definitions matter. War is terrible so it should be avoided. Wise States will therefore try to advance their interests short of war. Conflating war and its alternatives is a category error.

Last edited:
It seems like everything that is and will be needed for the Russian invasion of Ukraine is in place, including numerous Field Hospitals.
And most believe that it would happen sometime after the winter Olympics closing ceremony.
Really difficult to see Putin abandoning the invasion unless there is an overwhelmingly significant concession from Ukraine and NATO.

is this it then? is this how we go out? a nuclear Armageddon after a global pandemic?
Russia attacking US troop locations in Europe or direct NATO confrontation is how we get to WWIII. If Russia goes into Ukraine, "the west" will hope that military aid makes the Ukrainian resistance extract a bloody mess and make the advance slow and drawn out.

Full Russian control of Ukraine will not bring about WWIII. Just make it more likely to eventually get there.

Both sides were unanimous when it came to strike China with sanctions specifically on the question fo human rights violations in Hong Kong and against the Uyghurs.
Careful, some people on here will see that as a tacit admission that the US is now at war with China over the Uyghurs.

Still willing to fall on my sword and stick with my original assessment.

@harms did you find any older versions of those decrees?

Dmitri Trenin is a clown who has no insight into Putin or the Kremlin that's worthy of further discussion. Worst case, he's a tool of the Kremlin to promote pseudo-intellectual interpretations to satisfy the appetites of Western audiences that obfuscate what Putin actually intends to do.
He certainly has some insight but I'd agree that I wouldn't trust everything that he says, the Carnegie centre is de-jure independent but it's been generally loyal to pro-Russian sentiment over the past +- decade, which is why it's probably the only technically independent sociological institution that is allowed to work in Russia without much interference.

@harms did you find any older versions of those decrees?
Nope, but I doubt that there would be much insight in those degrees. I'm sure that the real decisions wouldn't be as exposed to the general public.

Only takes one idiot with a gun.
This saying should be updated as I'm pretty sure that in this scenario it can literally take no idiots with a gun for a provocation to still, somehow, miraculously happen.

Nope, but I doubt that there would be much insight in those degrees. I'm sure that the real decisions wouldn't be as exposed to the general public.

Why not? Everything else is being paraded publicly.

This saying should be updated as I'm pretty sure that in this scenario it can literally take no idiots with a gun for a provocation to still, somehow, miraculously happen.

Only takes one choreographed false flag video on telegram of a fake Ukranian with a gun? :lol: :(

Its hard to keep track of what is happening right now. What a clusterfeck.

Its hard to keep track of what is happening right now. What a clusterfeck.

Russia trying everything to provoke Ukraine to slip up. Sepratists have killed a Ukrainian soldier with artillery fire. Russia is undertaking false flag "terrorist attacks" and then has been caught uploading a prerecorded response video. US hoping that by constantly claiming Russia is going to attack there will be no doubt that it is a lone Russian act of aggression.

Also massively disappointed with a lot of leftists simping for Russia. As if a Russian invasion is going to bring about a leftist utopia.

Also massively disappointed with a lot of leftists simping for Russia. As if a Russian invasion is going to bring about a leftist utopia.
That's such a disingenuous, insiduous and quite frankly stomach-turning slander of dissenting or even just sceptical voices. "Simping for Russia", seriously? Where does that talking point come from? What an expression is that, really, does it originate from the same spectrum that brought us "*****" and such unpleasantly sexualized internet incel trash talk?