Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Very tempting to bite the bullet and go on a fixed rate energy contract. I’m definitely filling my car up with diesel today.

That's such a disingenuous, insiduous and quite frankly stomach-turning slander of dissenting or even just sceptical voices. "Simping for Russia", seriously? Where does that talking point come from? What an expression is that, really, does it originate from the same spectrum that brought us "*****" and such unpleasantly sexualized internet incel trash talk?

Eh?
Talking point? You spend way too much time on the internet man. Not everything is a talking point some people form there own opinons as well.

Simping isn't a political word. It is used by both the left and the right.

Shit like this is embarassing.

Eh?
Talking point? You spend way too much time on the internet man. Not everything is a talking point some people form there own opinons as well.

Simping isn't a political word. It is used by both the left and the right.

Shit like this is embarassing.

I "spend way too much time on the internet", yet your response is linking to some random YT channel? I don't know who that is and why I should watch it.

Its hard to keep track of what is happening right now. What a clusterfeck.
That's Russia's MO.

Flood social media and traditional media with claim, counter-claim, obfuscation and contradiction. Then the wider public get to the point where they just stop following events. While the affected public are left to pick and choose the news that confirms their biases.

It's the exact opposite of Propoganda but works just as well. Because these days you don't need to convince everybody. You only need to produce enough of a narrative that loyal citizens can feel comfortable parroting it online.

EDIT: It's the 2022 version of this:

Last edited:
Very tempting to bite the bullet and go on a fixed rate energy contract. I’m definitely filling my car up with diesel today.
If the invasion happens today, prices may well spike. But the dust will also settle that much sooner. Depending on Germany's confirmation of the new Baltic pipeline (which they still want to push through in spite of the yanks), it could even mean a reduction in prices in the middle term.

Having read every Single page of this thread again today, I have more trust in @harms than I do any of the journalists reporting on this. Very well put together arguments and I’ve been educated far more than I would have expected to be on a 54 page thread about a potential invasion.

the only way of solving this is choking the oligarchs from Russia and its allies financially, but that also means many in the City (of London) will get burnt, including major tory supporters. so unfortunately doubt it will happen anytime soon. Boris has just talked about doing this, but does anyone take him seriously anymore?

Can anyone point me to any good journalists worth following who are currently on the ground in eastern Ukraine or Kiev?

Now that you mention it, there seems to be a lack of Journo's actually on the ground there. Foreign ones at least.

I "spend way too much time on the internet", yet your response is linking to some random YT channel? I don't know who that is and why I should watch it.

Probably the most influential and the biggest leftist streamer on the internet. Bit cringe though

You just accused me of disingenuous, insiduous and quite frankly stomach-turning slander of dissenting or even just sceptical voice I'm providing evidence don't watch it if you don't want to man I don't care.

I never said I dont spend way too much time on the internet

That's the purpose of disinformation, to sow doubt in the minds of observers.
Better to react doubtful to a panorama of disinformation, than to soak it up with certainty, isn't it?

There seems to be an odd assumption that all fighting must be a false flag right now which is a bit hysterical. There's countless ceasefire violations including explosions everyday and there has been far months. Over 100k recorded since July.

It's certainly worth looking at how Russia spin them but you'd expect any false flag will be of a larger scale then the odd mortar shelling at the contact line.

There seems to be an odd assumption that all fighting must be a false flag right now which is a bit hysterical. There's countless ceasefire violations including explosions everyday and there has been far months. Over 100k recorded since July.

It's certainly worth looking at how Russia spin them but you'd expect any false flag will be of a larger scale then the odd mortar shelling at the contact line.

There are apparently far more violations this week than at any time in the preceding months, so it would just take one particularly bad incident for Putin to spin it as a provocation that warrants an "intervention".

Last edited:
You've just decided that everything is disinformation, both sides are the same, and nothing is true. That's no decision at all.
I've decided nothing of the sort.
But are you actually denying that disinformation is a method employed by more than one 'side'? Must say I'm pretty shocked at the lack of self-awareness, and at the amnesia, going on.

I've decided nothing of the sort.
But are you actually denying that disinformation is a method employed by more than one 'side'? Must say I'm pretty shocked at the lack of self-awareness, and at the amnesia, going on.

Of course I'm not denying it, but the "both sides employ the same tactic and both sides are equally bad" thing is quite literally the goal of Russian disinformation. Russians know their democracy is a sham, but they've also been convinced that the same applies to Western democracies.

In any case, you might claim you haven't decided it, but that's certainly how you appear in this thread. I wonder what you'd say if Russia actually ends up invading Ukraine, hopefully we won't have to find out.

There are apparently far more violations this week than at any time in the preceding months, so it would just take one particularly bad incident for Putin to spin it as a provocation that warrants "intervention".

About triple preceding weeks i think i read, which isn't surprising given the increased tensions.

I think the reporting just plays into Russian hands ultimately as their will be events shown to come from Ukraine activity which just plays into the claims of western media lying. The media ultimately rush to report any event and they need to be careful not to elevate 'regular' activity to something more than it is.

About triple preceding weeks i think i read, which isn't surprising given the increased tensions.

I think the reporting just plays into Russian hands ultimately as their will be events shown to come from Ukraine activity which just plays into the claims of western media lying. The media ultimately rush to report any event and they need to be careful not to elevate 'regular' activity to something more than it is.

That's possible, although most media reports tend to factor in the likelihood that attacks are attempts at Russian false flag operations to justify a pretext for an invasion. A lot of twitter accounts have also been very good about contextualizing them as such.

Also massively disappointed with a lot of leftists simping for Russia. As if a Russian invasion is going to bring about a leftist utopia.

It's worth it's own thread, but I suspect it's arab distrust/dislike of the west and their allies who bring up the same arc of talking points.

There's been as much anti-Americanism in the thread as there has been American exceptionalism. Quite easy to see how extremists are made.

That's such a disingenuous, insiduous and quite frankly stomach-turning slander of dissenting or even just sceptical voices. "Simping for Russia", seriously? Where does that talking point come from? What an expression is that, really, does it originate from the same spectrum that brought us "*****" and such unpleasantly sexualized internet incel trash talk?

He made a good logical point. You probably owe him an apology as that response is well.... offensive and uncalled for? And for what; using a word you don't quite understand/agree with?

Of course I'm not denying it, but the "both sides employ the same tactic and both sides are equally bad" thing is quite literally the goal of Russian disinformation. Russians know their democracy is a sham, but they've also been convinced that the same applies to Western democracies.

In any case, you might claim you haven't decided it, but that's certainly how you appear in this thread. I wonder what you'd say if Russia actually ends up invading Ukraine, hopefully we won't have to find out.
It makes no sense to argue with such complete simplifications and straw man constructions. Already the simple distinction between information and disinformation, with disinformation labeled as a foreign, external influence or agency, will ultimately be leading down the very, horrible, path which Russia has already gone down. And no, that's not an invocation of equivalence or moral relativism, it is exactly the contrary.

@2cents Found a couple on the front line, though they are now pulling out - @brycewilsonAU @StefanWeichert

Otherwise, for english speakers its just Kyiv Independant

what what? Surely that was clear enough? If you want to understand something, don't get your info on twitter, facebook or other social media. Particularly not for fast-developing crisis.
Bizarre take. Sounds like something my grandma would say. Why would you not listen to some of the most highly regarded and well informed journalists in this sphere?

The same as the WMD in Iraq?

I had this discussion earlier, looks like the Russians stole America’s playbook.

The only issue here is it’s not the Middle East/Asia, Yemen or Africa, it’s europe and europe matters unfortunately, whereas they don’t.

@2cents Found a couple on the front line, though they are now pulling out - @brycewilsonAU @StefanWeichert

Otherwise, for english speakers its just Kyiv Independant

There's a couple of guys I'm following on tiktok, but they keep changing handle/getting taken down. I'll try to copy and post the videos directly if anything really relevant happens.

Only takes one choreographed false flag video on telegram of a fake Ukranian with a gun? :lol: :(
Yeah, that’s about it. That has metadata that says that it was saved in a folder named 2021 :lol:

It makes no sense to argue with such complete simplifications and straw man constructions.

It's not a straw man, it's the actual point of Russian disinformation. Obviously it's a simplification, because this isn't a research paper and we're not scholars. We're just random people on the internet talking about the maybe/maybe not imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine, and assigning blame.

Already the simple distinction between information and disinformation, with disinformation labeled as a foreign, external influence or agency, will ultimately be leading down the very, horrible, path which Russia has already gone down. And no, that's not an invocation of equivalence or moral relativism, it is exactly the contrary.

Now this is a simplification. And just saying something isn't an equivalence doesn't make it so.

It's worth it's own thread, but I suspect it's arab distrust/dislike of the west and their allies who bring up the same arc of talking points.

There's been as much anti-Americanism in the thread as there has been American exceptionalism. Quite easy to see how extremists are made.

What do the Arabs have to do with this current situation?

Also massively disappointed with a lot of leftists simping for Russia. As if a Russian invasion is going to bring about a leftist utopia.
Where?

Tbf if anyone associates current Russia with anything leftist it’s on them

Last edited: