Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

I guess it's hard to hide when your kid is a conscript and comes home in a body bag.
I think the case that got everyone's attention was a POW, I actually think that hiding a body bag would've been easier.

Regrettably, we've found a few such cases... the wording itself is insane. Oops, we did a baddie.

I wonder if they're going to held Putin accountable for spreading fakes about the military operation. They didn't approve that law for nothing, did they?

A day after Putin said conscripts would never be used. :lol:

It's surprising that they've even admitted this. I wonder if it's a subtle hint from their Defence Ministry that they're not happy with Putin's plan

This whole affair is really sad and appalling and it seems that despite the terrible military organisation or lack thereof from Russia, It's apparent that Putin has Nato at Checkmate and unless something drastic changes, Putin will get a lot of what he wants.

What is crazy though, is that any country with Nukes will now see that they could potentially take over other countries and just threat Nukes to pretty much get away with it.

Russia have proven loss of life or quality for its citizens matter very little.

This whole affair is really sad and appalling and it seems that despite the terrible military organisation or lack thereof from Russia, It's apparent that Putin has Nato at Checkmate and unless something drastic changes, Putin will get a lot of what he wants.

What is crazy though, is that any country with Nukes will now see that they could potentially take over other countries and just threat Nukes to pretty much get away with it.

This isn't how I'd describe the situation at all. Russia's economy is going to collapse. This is turning out to be a terrible move by Putin.

Only the kind of "checkmate" that you didn't think of the opponent taking en passant.

Poland are in a similar situation, they need the jets themselves and can't take any replacement jets quickly. And logically Poland don't want to fly jets into Ukraine, they are scarred of Russia, as rumoured the US could allow the jets to be exchanged in Ramstein but that's very close to a declaration of war and no amount of gas would see them do that currently and on their own.

I have been hearing this kind of stuff in bold since yesterday. I hope everyone remembers how supplying weapons was far more direct and quite damaging to either US or the USSR during the Cold War. Smuggling Stinger missile launchers from Pakistan into Afghanistan when that tech was brand new looked like more of a provocation than now providing jets over 30 years old to Ukraine. Also, need I say about the Viet-Cong receiving state of the art SAMs to decimate the US Air Force during the Vietnam War?

And if NATO keep on arming Ukraine with drones, which are offensive weapons to an extent, why would that be less of an issue anyway?

:( :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

At this point, we may aswell send fighter jets from the west, he’ll only make it up anyway that we did if we don’t.

Then we can reverse Lie and say there Russian jets with British and American stickers made by the Chinese.

Any short range ballistic missiles that NATO can ship to UA? They really need to take out those artillery positions. Or it's all cruise and that requires completely different infra.

I have been hearing this kind of stuff in bold since yesterday. I hope everyone remembers how supplying weapons was far more direct and quite damaging to either US or the USSR during the Cold War. Smuggling Stinger missile launchers from Pakistan into Afghanistan when that tech was brand new looked like more of a provocation than now providing jets over 30 years old to Ukraine. Also, need I say about the Viet-Cong receiving state of the art SAMs to decimate the US Air Force during the Vietnam War?

And if NATO keep on arming Ukraine with drones, which are offensive weapons to an extent, why would that be less of an issue anyway?

The bolded part is a key point, they were in an open warring context. And because they couldn't settle it directly did it through proxy wars, I don't think that we are currently in that context and if the US aren't careful that's what could happen and what I assume they want to avoid. In fact it could be something that Putin seeks?

I don't think EU or NATO would intervene (militarily) in anything that happens in Kazakhstan (in particular) or Georgia though. Especially the EU has no reach there. NATO via Turkey might, but only barely and it'll again be a case of Russia being far more willing to raise the stakes than anyone in the West would be. Kazakhstan is part of the CSTO organisation too.
I agree, the west won't go into either of those places. But unlike when Putin went into Georgia and there were no sanctions, if he does it again, now, I expect the West will actually react this time.

It was clearly a huge mistake not to react to the invasion of Georgia in 2008. Putin has followed the exact same plan in Ukraine.

Not included in the tweet - Russian troops are disorganized, logistically inept, in poor morale, and lacking in coherent C2 to make significant progress against an increasingly well armed Ukrainian military and popular resistance.

At this point, I am more worried about the Russian, willfully or not, sabotaging one of the nuclear power plants.

Can someone explain it to me like I am five? Basically the Russians will continue to buy their own Ruble for less than it is possibly worth using Dollar reserves that they have?

Basically, yes - they are buying rubles with foreign currency to try to set a floor for the exchange rate. Two points on which I am not clear is how much of their foreign currency reserves is still accessible ( as opposed to frozen overseas) and how they actually settle USD transactions through a US correspondence bank given the Russian Central Bank is sanctioned.

Russian inflation rises by 2.2% in just 1 week up til March 4th.

"Since the military offensive began late in February, prices for new domestic cars soared over 17% and the cost of television sets jumped 15%. Some medicines and vegetables became 5% to 7% more expensive in the seven days ending March 4. ... Retailers have already started restricting purchases of “socially important” food staples in recent days "

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-for-russia-as-inflation-rips-through-economy

UK visa situation gets worse. Centre in Rzeszow is seemingly unable to finalise many (or all?) visa applications, so after fleeing from Ukraine, taking hours or days to cross the border, and proceeding to the closest UK visa centre in Rzeszow where you have an interminable wait to be seen, people are now being sent to Warsaw for a second appointment. Can you imagine?

UK visa situation gets worse. Centre in Rzeszow is seemingly unable to finalise many (or all?) visa applications, so after fleeing from Ukraine, taking hours or days to cross the border, and proceeding to the closest UK visa centre in Rzeszow where you have an interminable wait to be seen, people are now being sent to Warsaw for a second appointment. Can you imagine?

This is honestly the worst. Just let them in already.

I think Putin is using "The Madman theory".

"Nixon Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman once wrote that Nixon had confided to him, “I call it the madman theory, Bob. I want the North Vietnamese to believe I’ve reached the point where I might do anything to stop the war. We’ll just slip the word to them that, “for God’s sake, you know Nixon is obsessed about communism. We can’t restrain him when he’s angry—and he has his hand on the nuclear button, and Ho Chi Minh himself will be in Paris in two days begging for peace.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_theory

I think Putin is using "The Madman theory".

"Nixon Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman once wrote that Nixon had confided to him, “I call it the madman theory, Bob. I want the North Vietnamese to believe I’ve reached the point where I might do anything to stop the war. We’ll just slip the word to them that, “for God’s sake, you know Nixon is obsessed about communism. We can’t restrain him when he’s angry—and he has his hand on the nuclear button, and Ho Chi Minh himself will be in Paris in two days begging for peace.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_theory

I think so too. And if we let Putin get away with murder because he is holding the nuke threat over our heads, he will just continue doing what he wants. The world needs to call his bluff.

Looks like Ukraine will be land locked in the next few days. Have to hope diplomacy produces something before they then begin their encirclement of Kyiv, what we're seeing now is going to be nothing in comparison.

Looks like Ukraine will be land locked in the next few days. Have to hope diplomacy produces something before they then begin their encirclement of Kyiv, what we're seeing now is going to be nothing in comparison.

The Russians don't even have control of a single major Ukrainian city at this point. If they think they can bumble their way into controlling the entire country, they may want to reassess, especially given the looming economic Armageddon inside Russia.

He is talking about segregation by nationality, not race, to reduce tensions when people are attempting to flee the country and be processed at the border.

Not sure why that journalist has decided to spin in that way. But that keeps happening for two weeks now anyway.