Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Take note that despite the Kremlin's nuclear bluster, NATO has only doubled down and increased its support. From hand held arms to fighter jets and now talking about use of airbase in Poland, the EU application is even being considered.

Worldwide support for Ukraine is increasing by the day even, its not just about NATO/US/EU.

I grow more and more convinced that if Russia escalates too much there will be some sort of intervention. The red line is not an attack on NATO, its somewhere before that, just not sure where.

Also 'sanction proofing' his ecomomy is impossible. Well... technically possible I suppose, but he'll be fighting his wars with sticks and stones.
I doubt this will happen.

There are questions over the legalities of wars in Syria and Iraq, but those regions were exceptionally volatile and conflict-ridden anyway. Just as a footnote, there are 250 mass graves in Iraq that are dating from 1979-2003, the time of Saddam's rule. I don't know how that can be blamed upon the West. Anyone who is of the Shiite faith or who is Kurdish will be glad that the world was rid of Saddam. As a hardline Sunni, Saddam did not view them as being Iraqi, so he felt that he could do with them what he wished.

Regardless of how you feel about Ukraine under its current rule, Iraq was a country where in a single year literally tens of thousands of kurds were killed using chemicals, and that is verified by independent human rights groups. I don't know how this can be compared to the situation in the Ukraine, which despite having problems with separatists, has nothing approaching that level of outright genocide of people on ethnic grounds.

Assad was arguably far worse than even Saddam. It was the world's responsibility to get rid of them and had the west done nothing, people still would have died unjustly. Again, this is not comparable to the situation in the Ukraine. Atrocities were happening in the region and would have gone on happening without intervention.

The Ukrainian conflict is an entirely different proposition and is about a hostile invading force taking over a peaceful country that has long been concerned for its safety since Soviet rule broke down.

I really don't think we do ourselves any favours by comparing like-for-like with ME wars. It merely fudges a very complex issue. In saying that, I do believe that opposition towards Western intervention often manifests as unwitting tacit support for blood-lust dictators, and their right to hold entire ethnic groups under their anvil.

Last edited:
There are questions over the legalities of wars in Syria and Iraq, but those regions were exceptionally volatile and conflict-ridden anyway. Just as a footnote, there are 250 mass graves in Iraq that are dating from 1979-2003. I don't know how that can be blamed upon the West. Anyone who is of the Shiite faith or who is Kurdish will be glad that the world was rid of Saddam. Like Putin, Saddam did not view them as being Iraqi, so he felt that he could do with them what he wished.

Regardless of how you feel about Ukraine under its rule, Iraq was a country where in a single year literally tens of thousands of kurds were killed using chemicals, and that is verified by independent human rights groups. I don't know how this can be compared to the situation in the Ukraine, which despite having problems with separatists, has nothing approaching that level of outright genocide of people on ethnic grounds.

Assad was arguably even worse than Saddam. It was the world's responsibility to get rid of them and had the west done nothing, people still would have died unjustly. Again, this is not comparable to the situation in the Ukraine.

The Ukrainian conflict is an entirely different proposition and is about a hostile invading force taking over a peaceful country that has been concerned for its safety since Soviet rule broke down.

I really don't think we do ourselves any favours by comparing like-for-like with ME wars. It merely fudges the issue.

Agree with this. It's been frustrating reading the what a about ism stuff all over the internet.

There are questions over the legalities of wars in Syria and Iraq, but those regions were exceptionally volatile and conflict-ridden anyway. Just as a footnote, there are 250 mass graves in Iraq that are dating from 1979-2003. I don't know how that can be blamed upon the West. Anyone who is of the Shiite faith or who is Kurdish will be glad that the world was rid of Saddam. Like Putin, Saddam did not view them as being Iraqi, so he felt that he could do with them what he wished.

Regardless of how you feel about Ukraine under its rule, Iraq was a country where in a single year literally tens of thousands of kurds were killed using chemicals, and that is verified by independent human rights groups. I don't know how this can be compared to the situation in the Ukraine, which despite having problems with separatists, has nothing approaching that level of outright genocide of people on ethnic grounds.

Assad was arguably even worse than Saddam. It was the world's responsibility to get rid of them and had the west done nothing, people still would have died unjustly. Again, this is not comparable to the situation in the Ukraine.

The Ukrainian conflict is an entirely different proposition and is about a hostile invading force taking over a peaceful country that has been concerned for its safety since Soviet rule broke down.

I really don't think we do ourselves any favours by comparing like-for-like with ME wars. It merely fudges the issue.
Thank you. I cannot even be bothered responding to some of these people anymore.

Ukraine was on its way to becoming what their countries could be without conflict but apparently it's the same.

There are questions over the legalities of wars in Syria and Iraq, but those regions were exceptionally volatile and conflict-ridden anyway. Just as a footnote, there are 250 mass graves in Iraq that are dating from 1979-2003, the time of Saddam's rule. I don't know how that can be blamed upon the West. Anyone who is of the Shiite faith or who is Kurdish will be glad that the world was rid of Saddam. As a hardline Sunni, Saddam did not view them as being Iraqi, so he felt that he could do with them what he wished.

Regardless of how you feel about Ukraine under its current rule, Iraq was a country where in a single year literally tens of thousands of kurds were killed using chemicals, and that is verified by independent human rights groups. I don't know how this can be compared to the situation in the Ukraine, which despite having problems with separatists, has nothing approaching that level of outright genocide of people on ethnic grounds.

Assad was arguably far worse than even Saddam. It was the world's responsibility to get rid of them and had the west done nothing, people still would have died unjustly. Again, this is not comparable to the situation in the Ukraine. Atrocities were happening in the region and would have gone on happening without intervention.

The Ukrainian conflict is an entirely different proposition and is about a hostile invading force taking over a peaceful country that has long been concerned for its safety since Soviet rule broke down.

Good post

It's the UK I worry about after all this is over: out of the EU and Russian money being in London like no where else. Our financial and business laws just are not setup to provide any sort of transparency or accountability - and you are looking at decades of work to unpick that. The current government, the Conservative party in general, and much of the political elite don't seem to have the appetite to eliminate this Russian influence. They are talking a good game, but we have seen many games spoken well over the years with no subsequent action. If Russia wins this and the EU continue on their new path, you could well see Russian influence in the UK increase, not decrease.

It's a bit of a misconception though? I work for a large multinational bank now. The regulatory environment in the UK is one of the toughest, certainly far tougher than anything else in Europe. Ironically it's all been put in by the Tories post-2008.

feck knows, really.

Imo:

Ukraine not instantly caving in has made this an interesting one, western countries see this as an opportunity to have a proper go at Putin.

From Putins side, there’s no benefit in withdrawing at this stage, so the real question is simply the consequence of the upcoming disaster when they take Kiev and most likely make sure that certain prominent leaders are killed. My guess is that western countries are well aware of this, and that the main hope is that the sanctions will squeeze the Russians to the point where it’s impossible to successfully maintain the propaganda line at home.

It’s easy to turn a blind eye to Syria being bombed to shit, or Yemen for that matter, slightly more complicated with a country on the doorsteps of Europe, where Ukraine have been trying to become a part of NATO and the EU. I don’t think the focus on Ukraine is going to go away anytime soon, neither will the sanctions.

A week ago it seemed unlikely that he’d actually invade the whole country, not to mention that western countries would announce sending large amounts of weapons to help Ukraine against Russia. A lot has changed. Large companies are abandoning Russian investments as if it was the plague. I don’t think it’s completely unrealistic that oil and gas from Russia will take a major hit as well.

The way the stars are currently aligned, i think this push towards Russia will be maintained for a considerable amount of time in a rather large effort to get rid of Putin for good. I also think that politicians with a link to Russia is going to struggle, badly.

So yeah, i still think Putin has gone and fecked up.

When US forces arrived in Iraq they were greeted with cheers and showered with gifts (mostly cigarettes). A total contrast to Ukrainian OAPs complaining they have to make do with molotov cocktails to throw at the Russians because they're too old to be given guns. That's the biggest difference. Saddam needed to go, Zelensky is loved by the people.

It's a bit of a misconception though? I work for a large multinational bank now. The regulatory environment in the UK is one of the toughest, certainly far tougher than anything else in Europe. Ironically it's all been put in by the Tories post-2008.
Surprised you'd say that. Regulation in UK banking is only for the normal people.

If you've got money, controls mean jack shit

What about the complete lack of transparency around business ownership and how this aids money laundering? Are you telling me there is nothing to worry about here? I thought there was a reason so many bad faith agents wanted to register businesses in the UK?

was about to post this

Always thought Russia had an element of being a huge paper tiger (relative to the US/China), but the level of incompetence is staggering. No wonder Putin has gone straight to the nuke card because a full throttle NATO intervention that has the world's blessing (not sure that's ever happened) would no doubt be terrible news for the Russians.

Sadly, it probably means that nukes would then be even more of an issue because Putin's army would be outclassed so it's his only trump card.

Surprised you'd say that. Regulation in UK banking is only for the normal people.

If you've got money, controls mean jack shit

I go on calls with Directors etc who are making $$$, the impression I get is the last thing the vast majority want to do is piss off the regulators, there is obviously a selfish reason to that also. It's taken very seriously, at least here.

What about the complete lack of transparency around business ownership and how this aids money laundering? Are you telling me there is nothing to worry about here? I thought there was a reason so many bad faith agents wanted to register businesses in the UK?

Not that there is nothing to worry about. It's far from perfect. But it's got a lot better. I feck colleagues off from other countries with the amount of stuff I need to get from them for UK audits etc.

I really don't think we do ourselves any favours by comparing like-for-like with ME wars. It merely fudges a very complex issue. In saying that, I do believe that opposition towards Western intervention often manifests as unwitting tacit support for blood-lust dictators, and their right to hold entire ethnic groups under their anvil.
That first sentence is absolutely galaxy brain content. You should have just stopped there and saved us from the rest of that post.

Counter the post then?
I can't believe it even needs countering.

Why were those regions volatile and conflict-ridden? Did that happen in a vacuum? It's the exact same vibes as all the "journalism" we've seen in recent days talking about how we aren't used to seeing wars in "civilised" countries, as if the West had absolutely no part to play in the reason the Middle East is the way it is

Counter the post then?
I'll counter it for him, his whole post is akin to a Russian in Russia right now saying Ukraine is a neo nazi state that prosecutes and kills ethnic Russians so it's ok for Putin to blow it into smithereens.

Western Media/Propaganda tried to legitimize the war in Iraq similar to how Russian Media/propaganda is trying to legitimize theirs...

Why were those regions volatile and conflict-ridden? Did that happen in a vacuum?

Rather than asking, if you know the answers, take time and counter the post and explain why? Obviously more beneficial to those not as well versed to understand why he’s so wrong?

And still you have things like this, which I bet is only the tip of the iceberg.

HSBC

HSBC's failings cover a period of eight years, from 2010 to 2018, the FCA said.
The regulator said there was "inadequate monitoring of money laundering and terrorist financing scenarios until 2014, and poor risk assessment of "new scenarios" after 2016.

I'll counter it for him, his whole post is akin to a Russian in Russia right now saying Ukraine is a neo nazi state that prosecutes and kills ethnic Russians so it's ok for Putin to blow it into smithereens.

Western Propaganda tried to legitimize the war in Iraq similar to how Russian propaganda is trying to legitimize theirs...

That’s not countering it.

Explain what he’s wrong about and explain why

It’s a joke but that will become the reality in Russia. I feel for the people there I really do. Visa and Mastercard will no longer work, their money worthless, unable to travel..

What will it take for an uprising?

Yes, of course, a joke.

On a more serious note the Russian aviation issued a statement today that all tourists who are to return to Russia should not expect help and should return with their own means. Add this to current sanctions and the bans of visa and mastercard on russian banks, as you pointed out, and you can see how this can become a major issue.

I doubt Russia do either, they’re hoping Ukraine start moving civilians away from them and in doing so identify where they are.

They should start moving civvies away from redundant areas.

That’s not countering it.

Explain what he’s wrong about and explain why
I'm not getting into another endless argument on the sins and hypocrisy of the West in this thread, let's keep it on the situation at hand.

I'll leave it at this, having spent most of my life between the West and the Middle East (being a born and bred Mancunian) and having had many business partners, friends and acquaintances from the Middle East I have failed to meet one that is thankful to the West for 'saving them from tyranny'. Which is I'm sure how the good people of Ukraine feel right now. Despite the fact that in Russia they're pegging this as if they're 'Saving the Ukraine' similar to how the West was 'saving the Middle East'.

I also find it funny how people in this thread can say you shouldn't mention the 'history' of the West and 'Whataboutery' in this thread to criticise the West in this conflict but the same people use it as a justification of the destruction of the Middle East.

Last edited:
And still you have things like this, which I bet is only the tip of the iceberg.

HSBC

Yes, which is a regulated environment where companies who get it wrong get punished. It ain't happening in a lot of countries.

For all that I know there are teams where I work that are not following the rules. We have thousands upon thousands of employees. I work within technology - I see the changes based on what we need to do with the systems to make them compliant with new regulations. We have 1,000+ systems, some running Fortan from the 1970s which isn't even really taught in a Comp Sci degree anymore and the people who wrote them retired long ago. It's challenging, not everything is got right, just like happens in any company in the world.

Ultimately 95% of the people I work with and interact with want to get things right.

Anyway, think I've got some way away from the intention of the thread. Feel free to PM if you want to discuss this further.

Why were those regions volatile and conflict-ridden? Did that happen in a vacuum?

The region has been conflict ridden since before the US even existed. At the very least since the Ottomans started carving territories up.

Rather than asking, if you know the answers, take time and counter the post and explain why? Obviously more beneficial to those not as well versed to understand why he’s so wrong?
I mean, you’d have to be living under a giant fecking rock if you think that needs explaining.

It’s a joke but that will become the reality in Russia. I feel for the people there I really do. Visa and Mastercard will no longer work, their money worthless, unable to travel..

What will it take for an uprising?
Enormous courage and the willingness to die I should think.

I doubt Russia do either, they’re hoping Ukraine start moving civilians away from them and in doing so identify where they are.

They should start moving civvies away from redundant areas.
That was my first thought as well. It’s not like they haven’t been shelling cities already and killing civilians.

I'm not getting into another endless argument on the sins and hypocrisy of the West in this thread, let's keep it on the situation at hand.

I'll leave it at this, having spent most of my life between the West and the Middle East (being a born and bred Mancunian) and having had many business partners, friends and acquaintances from the Middle East I have failed to meet one that is thankful to the West for 'saving them from tyranny'. Which is I'm sure how the good people of Ukraine feel right now. Despite the fact that in Russia they're pegging this as if they're 'Saving the Ukraine' similar to how the West was 'saving the Middle East'.

I also find it funny how people in this thread can say you shouldn't mention the 'history' of the West and 'Whataboutery' in this thread to criticise the West in this conflict but the same people use it as a justification of the destruction of the Middle East. :lol: :lol:

Fair enough. I’ll pass on the green smileys though. Don’t think the thread or conversation warrants them.

I mean, you’d have to be living under a giant fecking rock if you think that needs explaining.

Please do..

Enormous courage and the willingness to die I should think.

This will be the worst thing they have ever seen since the war. In fact even worse than that.

The region has been conflict ridden since before the US even existed. At the very least since the Ottomans started carving territories up.
So has Europe. So in that context, what's happening in Ukraine is just more of the same. Right?

The reply ... not what she wanted but perhaps realistic (given consequences of such actions)

Disappointing that he didn't answer her questions regarding the Russian elite. I believe that's what she actually aimed for because it is clear that we can't go into a nuclear war for Ukraine. But making the people suffer who can actually get through to Putin and burst his bubble, that's something we should do and that should be done with more consequence and without loopholes.