Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Just seen this on LinkedIn. Pretty compelling reasons for wanting to control it.

Ukraine ranks:
  • 1st in Europe in proven recoverable reserves of uranium ores;
  • 2nd place in Europe and 10th place in the world in terms of titanium ore reserves;
  • 2nd place in the world in terms of explored reserves of manganese ores (2.3 billion tons, or 12% of the world's reserves);
  • 2nd largest iron ore reserves in the world (30 billion tons);
  • 2nd place in Europe in terms of mercury ore reserves;
  • 3rd place in Europe (13th place in the world) in shale gas reserves (22 trillion cubic meters) 4th in the world by the total value of natural resources;
  • 7th place in the world in coal reserves (33.9 billion tons) Ukraine is an important agricultural country:
  • 1st in Europe in terms of arable land area;
  • 3rd place in the world by the area of black soil (25% of world's volume);
  • 1st place in the world in exports of sunflower and sunflower oil;
  • 2nd place in the world in barley production and 4th place in barley exports;
  • 3rd largest producer and 4th largest exporter of corn in the world;
  • 4th largest producer of potatoes in the world; 5th largest rye producer in the world;
  • 5th place in the world in bee production (75,000 tons);
  • 8th place in the world in wheat exports;
  • 9th place in the world in the production of chicken eggs;
  • 16th place in the world in cheese exports. Ukraine can meet the food needs of 600 million people. Ukraine is an important industrialised country: 1st in Europe in ammonia production; Europe's 2nd’s and the world’s 4th largest natural gas pipeline system;
  • 3rd largest in Europe and 8th largest in the world in terms of installed capacity of nuclear power plants;
  • 3rd place in Europe and 11th in the world in terms of rail network length (21,700 km);
  • 3rd place in the world (after the U.S. and France) in production of locators and locating equipment;
  • 3rd largest iron exporter in the world 4th largest exporter of turbines for nuclear power plants in the world; 4th world's largest manufacturer of rocket launchers;
  • 4th place in the world in clay exports 4th place in the world in titanium exports 8th place in the world in exports of ores and concentrates;
  • 9th place in the world in exports of defence industry products;
  • 10th largest steel producer in the world (32.4 million tons).

Russian access to Ukrainian chicken eggs would be a game changer.

What a load of fecking shite.

Get the feck out of here with this apologist bullshit for a toxic dictator that has done everything in his power to destabilise the entire developed World and funded up and supported the rise of the far-right across Europe as well as meddling in U.S elections and turning America against itself as well meddling in Brexit - 2 acts that on their own should equal him being taken out.

Let alone how he has treated his own subjects and repressed their opportunities and freedoms.

The guy has caused more instability in the developed world than anyone else in recent times and is clearly completely out of control.

Seriously apologist views on him can get fecked, and stay fecked.
Well said.

Just seen this on LinkedIn. Pretty compelling reasons for wanting to control it.

Ukraine ranks:
  • 1st in Europe in proven recoverable reserves of uranium ores;
  • 2nd place in Europe and 10th place in the world in terms of titanium ore reserves;
  • 2nd place in the world in terms of explored reserves of manganese ores (2.3 billion tons, or 12% of the world's reserves);
  • 2nd largest iron ore reserves in the world (30 billion tons);
  • 2nd place in Europe in terms of mercury ore reserves;
  • 3rd place in Europe (13th place in the world) in shale gas reserves (22 trillion cubic meters) 4th in the world by the total value of natural resources;
  • 7th place in the world in coal reserves (33.9 billion tons) Ukraine is an important agricultural country:
  • 1st in Europe in terms of arable land area;
  • 3rd place in the world by the area of black soil (25% of world's volume);
  • 1st place in the world in exports of sunflower and sunflower oil;
  • 2nd place in the world in barley production and 4th place in barley exports;
  • 3rd largest producer and 4th largest exporter of corn in the world;
  • 4th largest producer of potatoes in the world; 5th largest rye producer in the world;
  • 5th place in the world in bee production (75,000 tons);
  • 8th place in the world in wheat exports;
  • 9th place in the world in the production of chicken eggs;
  • 16th place in the world in cheese exports. Ukraine can meet the food needs of 600 million people. Ukraine is an important industrialised country: 1st in Europe in ammonia production; Europe's 2nd’s and the world’s 4th largest natural gas pipeline system;
  • 3rd largest in Europe and 8th largest in the world in terms of installed capacity of nuclear power plants;
  • 3rd place in Europe and 11th in the world in terms of rail network length (21,700 km);
  • 3rd place in the world (after the U.S. and France) in production of locators and locating equipment;
  • 3rd largest iron exporter in the world 4th largest exporter of turbines for nuclear power plants in the world; 4th world's largest manufacturer of rocket launchers;
  • 4th place in the world in clay exports 4th place in the world in titanium exports 8th place in the world in exports of ores and concentrates;
  • 9th place in the world in exports of defence industry products;
  • 10th largest steel producer in the world (32.4 million tons).

It's obviously about this and control over Ukraine, has feck all to do with nazi's or crimea etc etc like he's claiming.

The Central and Eastern European countries wanted to join NATO, because they feared Russian aggression. They had already been under the thump of the Soviets. And wanted to avoid coming under Russia's thump again. It is no coincidence that their desire to join NATO accelerated after the wars in Moldova (Transnistria) and Georgia (Abkhazia). NATO expansion was not an aggressive act against Russia, it was a defensive act against an aggressive Russia by countries who had sufficient experience what it is like to be under the Russian thumb. The treatment and now invasion of Ukraine has proven again that these countries are better off under NATO and the EU than under Russia.

There is no threat against Russia. Nobody is going to invade a country with thousands of nukes. In contrast, everyone would welcome a peaceful, stable (and ideally free and democratic) Russia that is committed to peaceful and respectful trade and cooperation with the rest of Europe. Unfortunately, their elites seem to be backward looking and mourning the loss of Soviet power instead.

None of this "forced" Russia into a certain position, or "wounded" them, or "cornered" them or "humiliated" them.They are like an abusive boyfriend whose girlfriend left them after years of abuse. But instead of reflecting, why their girlfriend left them, they blame the girlfriend for betraying them and are on their way to the women's shelter to beat her up for it.

Very well said. Some seriously strange takes in this thread.

Any updates in Vlad's health? I recall a few murmors that this was all about his final hurrah, but not heard much since.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't think there's any good guys here. It's criminals fighting criminals, and the common citizens paying a price for it.
If I was a Ukrainian citizen reading this, I would be spitting blood right now. It is quite obvious that Ukraine is fighting for something they believe in deeply, and it's equally obvious that the Russians are not. Spare us your moral relativism.

Putin doesn't have the 'western' luxury of social media and news organizations whitewashing his crimes globally, so it's easier to make him the only villain (he is, not questioning that at all).

Again, what an ignorant remark. Quite apart from formal global propaganda outlets like RT, they have content farms astroturfing social media and have had for years. Everyone knows this.

But the US and UK coming in with their holier than thou bullshit and using other countries to fight their proxy wars is a story we've heard all too often. London clearly encourages Russian corruption, and the US and UK have no right to speak about a superpower invading other countries.

You are right about UK-Russian corruption and it shames the hell out of us. That has to stop. But at the end of the day, proxy war is just meaningless. What is actually happening is Europe has been as much inspired (and maybe shamed) by seeing Ukraine remind us what European democratic values are - as much as threatened by Putin, and that is what all the backing is in part about. I want to see Ukraine come through because they quite obviously share Western democratic values and they should therefore be encouraged.

'Spreading the seeds of democracy' and 'civilizing territorites' are just more palatable lies than de-Nazifying a nation. In India, we are yet to celebrate our 75th Independence Day - people seem to forget we had to fight our own wars, and lose many lives to force our English colonizers away to achieve the very goals they posture about championing today. Of all pseudo participants in this war, Germany, now sitting pretty atop a European hierarchy, should best remember what happens when you suffocate a proud animal of space, humiliate it on a global stage and back into a corner with only one way out.

I'm not sure what point you are making other than a cynical one. It's just another variant of everyone is compromised so nobody should do anything. Great for Putin.

But it cannot be denied that the West forced wounded Putin and mowed him into a corner so they could wave their big dick around, and turned blind eye when Russian interference and corrpution suited their domestic interests while Putin gathered power in retaliation. History repeats itself, the roles merely change.
It can be denied. This is not something "the West" forced on Putin. We did not invite Ukraine into NATO or the EU. We encouraged a young democracy but not really very substantively, arguably to our shame. This is a war of choice against a country that did not want to bend to Putin's will.

I hope Russia withdraws their troops. I hope Putin sees sense in his losses and takes the diplomatic route, maybe via Ukraine accepting neutrality and a couple of other conditions, so his economy can recover from the mess. I also hope that NATO stops expanding, Germany reveres its decision to strengthen its military, and China doesn't use this incident as a blueprint for Taiwan. Above all, I hope Ukranians can go back home and stop being pawns on a chessboard they could not influence, and stop living through a war that they did not deserve.

Weasel words. I hope Russia is defeated. I hope Putin is kicked from power. I hope a new Russian regime can emerge that doesn't threaten its neighbours and steal from its people. I hope a democratic Ukraine can one day be welcomed into alliances of other democratic nations (and Russia too). I hope China realises that invading Taiwan would likely provoke a similar reaction and it deterred from doing so. I hope Ukraine becomes free to choose its own future. And I hope the cynics and moral relativists learn to take a little inspiration, even in an imperfect world.

Can you elaborate? Apologies if it's misleading, will edit if necessary.

So basically, Patel the Home Sec, sat in Parliament (refusing to issue a statement) and at 3.30pm just as Liz Truss was scheduled to make an update, she basically revealed that the UK would provide additional support, however, still with many many conditions, limiting who can actually receive help (therefore the 100k number is not necessarily true, as they are all subjected to Visa requirements)

But by doing this statement, the way she did, it meant, that opposition questions were limited and she avoided basically facing unpopular and genuine questions, she would have to answer.

NATO was founded to counter Soviet expansion in Europe - that's the primary motivation for their existence. At some point, the word 'counter' became 'mimic', unfortunately.

Unpunished, not unnoticed. Don't have to remind you of Trump's love affair for Putin when he should have been cut down to size.

Enough about NATO, though, I knew I would be derailing this thread the moment blinkered outrage began. I didn't want to leave my opinion undefended, but back to the point of this thread.

But it's not doing that is it. All members of NATO expressly wished to join it (they weren't cajoled like Warsaw Pact countries were). Secondly, it's not a political union, but a mutually beneficial defence treaty, so again nothing like Soviet expansion.

NATO is not the issue, nor has ever been the issue here. It's convenient excuse for someone like Putin to advance his aim of making Russia on par with the US and China. Similar, in my opinion, to Israel constantly highlighting Iran as a threat in order to have reason to beef up its army/grab more land. If NATO didn't exist, Putin would use something else for a pretext to advance into Ukraine.

This is not a defence of NATO, I think the neocon misadventures of the 21st century have so much to answer for before we even go into the sheer level of death stupid wars in Iraq and Afghanistan caused. But all Putin has done is highlighted the binary choice between being a member of NATO or being subjugated by the Russians for those on Russia's border. Ironically, he's pushed countries westwards and there will now be generations of Ukrainians who hate Russians. He has really fecked this up.

Does it bother you to have a mirror put in front? Why make the injustice of calling out the same shit in other countries a joke? feck Russia but lets not kid ourselves how bigoted some of the news outlets have been about this. Calling this a bigger crises because it's "civilized europe".

You have some on here thinking this is a fascinating first time ever war on social media.
Try this one mate, thank me later.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/geopolitics-too-whataboutery-for-other-threads.469141/

Did anyone just see the speech by the Ukranian representative at the United Nations? Was a mic drop moment. :lol: (on sky news currently)

Watching it and now the Russian Presidents bullsh*t blaming Ukraine and still denying an invasion.

Apparently Ukraines are using civilians as shields and attacking there own people he is saying

Blimey, the translator for the Russian ambassador at the UN is speaking at 1,000mph

Is anything of what this bald douche is saying about the state of Ukraine true? It’s just a long rant of various vile accusations.

I dont have a clue about how things have been in Ukraine for the past 8 years.

Any sustainable deal would have to involve Putin removed from power, as he has clearly shown that he is completely untrustworthy. I very much doubt this will happen.

What a load of fecking shite.

Get the feck out of here with this apologist bullshit for a toxic dictator that has done everything in his power to destabilise the entire developed World and funded up and supported the rise of the far-right across Europe as well as meddling in U.S elections and turning America against itself as well meddling in Brexit - 2 acts that on their own should equal him being taken out.

Let alone how he has treated his own subjects and repressed their opportunities and freedoms.

The guy has caused more instability in the developed world than anyone else in recent times and is clearly completely out of control.

Seriously apologist views on him can get fecked, and stay fecked.

Good post!

IMG_4059.png

I get it, nobody likes seeing a lone country battling against an invading power. But it is what it is, unless we all collectively agree that we want NATO-nations to intervene and we accept the risks involved.

Crimea was transfered to Ukraine in 1954 and the vast majority of the population the last 150 years is Russian, which you can confirm by just looking the Ukrainian census of 2001 and 2011. Historically speaking Greeks, scythians and then more recently tatars have more claims to the land than Ukrainians. Crimeans also voted for sovereign in 1991. Or was that rigged too?
Also, what kind of argument is that last one? Why should people have to give up their homes?

I'm latvian, so I can draw parralels with my country in this. We've got huge minority of russians and have been under their thumb for large part of the history, should we split our country in two so they can stop being repressed or just become Russia as it has claim to the land? What you suggest is ripping up a sovereign countries constitution of territorial integrity, that Russia itself had agreed to respect under Budapest agreement. Just because Crimea was transfered relatively recently, doesn't make it any less ukrainian. How do you figure someone else has more claim on other countries land, than the country that has it right now? Borders were drawn every other year centuries ago, now we've got internationally accepted constitutions, that accept other country within its current borders, I'll repeat myself, under Budapest agreement, Russia agrees that Crimea is ukrainian.

Silly argument, but within the lines of suggesting that a sovereign country should split itself up.

At the request of the Ukrainian government, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, has spoken to his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, the Élysée Palace has said in a statement:

The president reiterated the international community’s demand that [Russia] halt its offensive against Ukraine, and reaffirmed the necessity of immediately establishing a ceasefire.

With ceasefire talks between Kyiv and Moscow under way on the Belarus border, Macron also asked Putin to ensure that for the duration of the negotiations all strikes and attacks on civilians and their homes would be halted, civilian infrastructure would be preserved, and all main roads – particularly the road south out of Kyiv – would remain safe to use.

Putin “confirmed his willingness to commit to all three points”, the Élysée statement said.

Macron also called on Putin to ensure international humanitarian law was respected and civilian populations and aid transports protected, and asked the Russian president to “stay in touch over the coming days to avoid the situation worsening”.

I actually think a nuke being dropped this year is a strong possibilty. Putin has miscalcualted himself into a corner and obviously isn't in a right state of mind.

Russian economy is being artificially propped up and the effect of some sanctions are yet to hit. The timers already begun for a military coup. He needs to end this quickly or back down. Neither of which seems likely at present, unless he's happy to settle with Donbas and Luhansk and sell a story of liberation to the Russin public to mend his ego.

Even if they take Kyiv, they've just signed themselves up for a decade of US backed insurgency.

Crimea was transfered to Ukraine in 1954 and the vast majority of the population the last 150 years is Russian, which you can confirm by just looking the Ukrainian census of 2001 and 2011. Historically speaking Greeks, scythians and then more recently tatars have more claims to the land than Ukrainians. Crimeans also voted for sovereign in 1991. Or was that rigged too?
Also, what kind of argument is that last one? Why should people have to give up their homes?

I'm latvian, so I can draw parralels with my country in this. We've got huge minority of russians and have been under their thumb for large part of the history, should we split our country in two so they can stop being repressed or just become Russia as it has claim to the land? What you suggest is ripping up a sovereign countries constitution of territorial integrity, that Russia itself had agreed to respect under Budapest agreement. Just because Crimea was transfered relatively recently, doesn't make it any less ukrainian. How do you figure someone else has more claim on other countries land, than the country that has it right now? Borders were drawn every other year centuries ago, now we've got internationally accepted constitutions, that accept other country within its current borders, I'll repeat myself, under Budapest agreement, Russia agrees that Crimea is ukrainian.

Silly argument, but within the lines of suggesting that a sovereign country should split itself up.

The Kenyan Ambassador to the UN put it very well:

So basically, Patel the Home Sec, sat in Parliament (refusing to issue a statement) and at 3.30pm just as Liz Truss was scheduled to make an update, she basically revealed that the UK would provide additional support, however, still with many many conditions, limiting who can actually receive help (therefore the 100k number is not necessarily true, as they are all subjected to Visa requirements)

But by doing this statement, the way she did, it meant, that opposition questions were limited and she avoided basically facing unpopular and genuine questions, she would have to answer.

It's laughable really, I don't think she's ever taken a decision that wasn't highly contested or didn't raise more questions than give answers.

They are, of course, clearly representative of the majority living in the Donbas in 2014, and not at all significantly comprised of insurgents from over the border.

Nothings black and white. The only thing everyone can agree on that the war is wrong. I mean those people in Donbas and Crimea who are Russian were settled by the Soviet union after ethnic cleansing of these regions. The tartars of Crimea suffered greatly during this period. I'm sure many other ethnic groups did to. That policy was behind a lot of the ethnic violence in Eastern Europe and Near Asia after the fall of the Soviet Union.

If you ask Putin he's got some ancient map that claims Lenin gave away too much of Russia to Ukraine... where does it stop? Original sin? Adam and Eve?

I think a lot of people in the west just don't like to hear that their governments are considered just as bad as Putin by a lot of the world. It's not a competition. I think a long series of mistakes has led us to this point and dwelling on them doesn't help, neither does whitewashing them.

You still aren't getting the point are you ?

Unfortunately it's going to be innocent Ukranians that are going to die for this. Not the US, the UK or the EU. Ukraine is yet another nation caught between the power struggle of the 2.

I just can't get this.

The innocent Ukrainians are dying because they are fighting someone who wants to steal their country and end their self determination. We are backing them because they want our help.

FFS.

I can understand neutrality demands but what is this constant de-nazification non sense?

I think in part an attempt to rouse patriotism by comparing Ukraine to the Nazi invasion in 1941, and a clear move to delegitimate Ukraine's leadership, so that only a Russian puppet Government is seen as acceptable.

I am sure that Putin had predicted this in his 3D chess, but it was a surprise for me! Swiss banks will follow the same EU rules for Russian money!... Hard to believe, but I hope it is true!

Switzerland will forego "Swiss neutrality" and adopt same sanctions as EU against Russia

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-28-22/h_f8b3aa0b0e6c885286e93f1e47494e55
Someone's finally had a word with the Swiss. Money laundering in the name of Neutrality. Twats

I can understand neutrality demands but what is this constant de-nazification non sense?

It's bs. It's something that doesn't exist and Putin knows it, so it's a way to say negotiations didn't work because Ukraine didn't want to stop being Nazis. Even though Putin has groups of mercs that use Nazi signage heading to Ukraine to fight, and some of those proud boy idiots

Someone's finally had a word with the Swiss. Money laundering in the name of Neutrality. Twats
Probably the US. They can toy with Switzerland as they like. The EU not so much.

Good read here, explain why Russia invade Ukraine, and helps understand the whole situation and motives behind the invasion.