Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

I've already convinced myself its all over and i'm going out in a blazing inferno.

I am incredibly jealous of people i see out and about everyday who just carry on as normal, i cant stop checking the news even if i know its bad for me.

Aye same, good old anxiety eh. scrolling through this thread and twitter is doing me no good at all but can't help it.

Not opening stock market means they are in deep, deep shit.

As much as your post. And continued support of your post.

Flapping around for someone other than Russia (Putin) to be the culprit in this situation. Even after everything that’s been presented on here/in the world media.

A man who is now threatening nuclear war because he has been hit by sanctions. Who has stated he doesn’t see Ukraine as a sovereign country. Who already annexed Crimea back in 2014, condemned by the UN of course. We’re talking about a guy who will do what he wants, when he wants. And you’re saying you can see why he’s done it?

Rather than point the finger at NATO for ‘expanding’ its territory, or the possibility of, maybe ask the question why countries would want/seek to join. Judging from current events I’d assume you’d get to the answer quickly.

Totally never said that, but go off. I don't at all agree with the invasion. All i'm saying is that Putin has a legitimate reason to be aggrieved (I understand better the complexity around the issue now) not that he is justified in his disproportionate escalation and nuclear threats. The west was never going roll back the expansion to pre 1997 levels but maybe some truce could have been made on Ukraine if negotiations could have been allowed to continue before he decided to go full madman Putler mode.

Now this is directly related to what's going on, but unsure as to the reasons. My wife's company manufactures farm equipment and they get their steel from Ukraine, because of what's going on they placed an order so they could get some before things got worse, and all of the steel they ordered has been seized by the Polish government, for what reasons they don't know.

I wonder if Zelensky is even thinking about taking Crimea back, he’s bang up for this war

Apparently Russia had plenty more of them not long ago.
Both the US and Russia had over 30K at the height of the Cold War.

I don't think anyone knows why though. 3000 should be more than enough to destroy the civilization and cause a nuclear winter.

Both the unified WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight champion, and now prisoners are joining the defence:

Totally never said that, but go off. I don't at all agree with the invasion. All i'm saying is that Putin has a legitimate reason to be aggrieved (I understand better the complexity around the issue now) not that he is justified in his disproportionate escalation and nuclear threats. The west was never going roll back the expansion to pre 1997 levels but maybe some truce could have been made on Ukraine if negotiations could have been allowed to continue before he decided to go full madman Putler mode.

what’s the reason?

Apparently Russia had plenty more of them not long ago.
They actually invited Americans in to disarm them after the fall of the Soviet Union because so many of them were simply unaccounted for in the years after.

"He said that the prisoners will be fighting in the hottest spots".

Damn, that's very controversial and pretty drastic. Not sure what to think of it. Desperate times. I would have thought territorial defence in Kyiv neighborhoods, not the frontline.

From what I have read he can fund this for an awfully long time, meaning hundreds of thousands or even more could die.

Surely if we have the carrot of removing the sanctions it is worth using if it can stop this now? Surely that is the priority.

Now I do not believe that will be enough for him, I think he will ask for Ukrainian concessions that are beyond what they would sanely view as acceptable. Still it is worth having the carrot to offer once his citizens begin ramping up the pressure due to dire financial situations.

They have low debt and a lot of foreign exchange and gold reserves which can be used to stabilise the economy and fund a long conflict. However, they can only turn any of that into usable money if they can find a willing counterparty to buy it. The sanctions are aimed at stopping them doing that but there are still plenty of loopholes that could be tightened further. Some sectors are exempt and some countries are not imposing sanctions.

Mate, there is no expansion. With social media, common people from everywhere can see people enjoying life in Britain, France, the US, etc. and compare with the subjugation from autocrats and the imposed poverty they have at home. This is an old style, desperate, existential war launched from an old autocrat losing his people: nobody gives a feck about him and Russia over these shores… people just want to live their own life in imperfect democracies.

Mate, there is no expansion. With social media, common people from everywhere can see people enjoying life in Britain, France, the US, etc. and compare with the subjugation from autocrats and the imposed poverty they have at home. This is an old style, desperate, existential war launched from an old autocrat losing his people: nobody gives a feck about him and Russia over these shores… people just want to live their own life in imperfect democracies.

Well even his oligarchs have all been enjoying their lives well away from Russia for the last 20 years.

I don't see anything wrong with prisoners fighting. It sounds like the normal people have to do it, so why the double standard?

Separately, seems like economic reality cannot be denied even by the Putler gang.

Both the unified WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight champion, and now prisoners are joining the defence:

Sending prisoners of war into the hottest spots is morally questionable to say the least. I realise, they're at war and difficult decisions have to be made but not sure I agree with that one. If a PoW is willing to fight for them they deserve lauding, not putting into a position where they are more likely to be killed.

I tried to make this point previously.

Be under no illusions, what the Russiab oligarchs have been doing for 20-30 years used to happen in the USSR as well, it just wasn't visible to most people. Hypocrisy is much harder to hide nowadays.

Sending prisoners of war into the hottest spots is morally questionable to say the least. I realise, they're at war and difficult decisions have to be made but not sure I agree with that one. If a PoW is willing to fight for them they deserve lauding, not putting into a position where they are more likely to be killed.
Not prisoners of war. It is for Ukrainian prisoners, I think, like people who went to jail for whatever reasons.

Russian prisoners of war wouldn't fight for Ukraine anyway.

Surely they have to send somebody out there? What’s the difference between sending prisoner X out or someone else?

Wait, are these PoW? I thought they were regular convicts with combat experience?

I assume you probably get time off your sentence or even a full pardon if you survive. That would be some motivated prisoners.

I think looking through the lense of a comfortable and safe life, it sounds wrong but it's a 'practical' approach.

Not prisoners of war. It is for Ukrainian prisoners, I think, like people who went to jail for whatever reasons.

Russian prisoners of war wouldn't fight for Ukraine anyway.

Sorry, totally misunderstood :lol:

I was confused that they'd be willing to. Prisoners is slightly better, but still morally wrong to send them to the hottest spots.

"He said that the prisoners will be fighting in the hottest spots".

Damn, that's very controversial and pretty drastic. Not sure what to think of it. Desperate times. I would have thought territorial defence in Kyiv neighborhoods, not the frontline.

Given so many ordinary citizens are going to end up fighting maybe people with actual combat experience (even if they're prisoners) are too valuable not to put in areas where they'd be most useful?

Plus depending on what they were in prison for, it may make sense to release them into areas where they're surrounded by professional soldiers rather than more civilian-dominated areas? I dunno.