Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

If he withdraws the troops, sanctions will be gone. He will not do that without getting anything and as you say, Ukraine will not back down. Part of me thinks under current circumstances the wise thing to do would be to recognize independence of Donetsk and Luzhansk, give Crimea back to Russia (I understand their population is mostly pro-Russian anyway) and get this over with. That would be something Putin could pitch as victory to his country, and in a way would be, but fighting over it may not be worth the loss of life. But obviously I may be talking dumb shit as they've been fighting over this for the last 8 years and to back down now would be wrong.

Then slowly work on removing him from his power, as his inner circle and oligarchs will have realized to what lengths he's willing to go to feed his ego.

Will they and should they be? Lots of blame on west for allowing Putin to arm and prepare for full invasion for 8 years, guy has proved to be deranged, him stepping down should be bare minimum now before anything changes.

Also, cedeing any territory should be a no-no, saying Crimea is pro russian, is giving into their propaganda. There were no fair elections. As I said earlier in the topic, any pro-russian on Ukrainian soil can make couple mile trip eastwards and live in eternal harmony. Maybe they should start sending russian civilians in Kiev flats and in 5 years say, we don't want Ukraine here, Russia come help?

Thanks for the tags, I don't have it in me to go through the thread thoroughly anymore, checking different news sources already takes too much time & emotional effort.

Just a few updates on the protests in Russia — they're still happening although we're looking with envy at the anti-war marches in Berlin and the likes. We can't even get together properly as any group with more than 10-20 people has a target on its back. Since the beginning of the protests more than 6000 people had been arrested, 2791+ people were detained yesterday alone. The court dates are postponed, most will get a fine after spending a day in detainment, some will get a week or two, those who got caught for a second/third time already look at significant time behind bars. If you've been seen reposting the date of the meeting/suggesting a movement direction for your group etc., you get a significant time as a riot organiser.

Many people are losing their jobs — something that I'll probably have to go through myself despite being lucky in evading police on the streets (it's really the new way of protesting in Russia, playing hide & seek with police on the streets while simultaneously trying to grab as much attention as possible). My boss called me yesterday and said that she has a direct request to fire anyone who had signed any anti-war letters & petitions although they haven't got to my name yet (they most likely will, it's public information). She was very sweet though and said that she'll resign herself if she won't be able to protect me or my colleagues that also signed the letter.

A few members of Russian Duma had voiced their disapproval of the war in Ukraine — most notably a few members of KPRF, Russian Communist party, that thought that their petition to recognise DNR & LNR's independence, that they had hoped would bring peace to the region (yeah, right), was used as a pretense for starting a war.

I find it hard to believe in positive change, Belarus' 2020 had destroyed whatever was left of my youthful optimism — and going to the protests doesn't give me any hope or closure, you do it because someone has to. But who knows...
Stay safe pal. We appreciate all the efforts from within. It’s a shame that great pain will come to the normal Russian people through economics and death of sons in the army.
all because of one man

Whatever happens from now on, it will be very, very tough for Russian economy. I doubt that the talks will lead to something meaningful. Ukraine will not recognize Crimea as a part of Russia, nor will they consider the separatist areas as independent. Putin will not bow down either. He can probably wihdraw the troops, but sanctions will be there to stay. It really is amazing to see, how fast the West crippled Russia's economy. Their military support has also been priceless. Zelenskyy staying in the country is a heroic action. Hats off to everyone opposing the invasion of Ukraine.

May be a really ignorant question by me but if they did withdraw their troops why would the sanctions remain in place?

If he withdraws the troops, sanctions will be gone. He will not do that without getting anything and as you say, Ukraine will not back down. Part of me thinks under current circumstances the wise thing to do would be to recognize independence of Donetsk and Luzhansk, give Crimea back to Russia (I understand their population is mostly pro-Russian anyway) and get this over with. That would be something Putin could pitch as victory to his country, and in a way would be, but fighting over it may not be worth the loss of life. But obviously I may be talking dumb shit as they've been fighting over this for the last 8 years and to back down now would be wrong.

Then slowly work on removing him from his power, as his inner circle and oligarchs will have realized to what lengths he's willing to go to feed his ego.
So he gets a lot of things he wants? Wouldn’t that justify his actions to him/generals/Russian public, make him more popular and potentially give him encouragement to do something similar again?

Yeah. I think we need to stop thinking about hypotheticals like Putin caring about his family dying, or Russian people dying or anything other than himself. Also a very slim chance that any of his command men are the type of people to defy his orders. If he really resorts to nukes, the only hope is that there is someone powerful enough in his inner circle to overthrow him. And that we do not know.

I think people should stop freaking out about the nukes. It's one thing for Putin to waive them around as a threat, but to actually use one of them against the west would be as good as simultaneously using one of their own in Moscow. Now if Putin told his generals to nuke their own City, do you think they would do that? I'll believe that when it happens.

This isn't even an existential threat against Russia itself. The west has zero intention to even step on Russian soil. So when it comes to it do you think the Russian command (as in generals and others who would have to facilitate the use of nukes) would rather see their own country, with all their families in it, laid to ashes than retreat and perhaps regroup, try again another time?

You posted this already at 7:24am and it had already been posted already more than once.
Please try and avoid spamming with repeat posts.
You mean that exact tweet or a tweet about the ruble? I looked back but I didn't find a duplicate post quoting this specific tweet by myself.

On what basis? And please don't just say because they speak Russian, because there is no more ignorant assumption about Ukraine right now as assuming Russian native speakers in Ukraine are Russian, want to be independent from Ukraine and/or want to be part of Russia. It's about as stupid as thinking that all English-speakers in Wales and Ireland aren't Welsh and Irish and want to be part of England.

Isn't this extremely risky? Given Putin's rhetoric about the Ukrainian leadership, I wouldn't rule out anything.

Not that much, attacking a diplomatic delegation would have massive consequences. Even in the nastiest wars it rarely happened.

Will they and should they be? Lots of blame on west for allowing Putin to arm and prepare for full invasion for 8 years, guy has proved to be deranged, him stepping down should be bare minimum now before anything changes.

Also, cedeing any territory should be a no-no, saying Crimea is pro russian, is giving into their propaganda. There were no fair elections. As I said earlier in the topic, any pro-russian on Ukrainian soil can make couple mile trip eastwards and live in eternal harmony. Maybe they should start sending russian civilians in Kiev flats and in 5 years say, we don't want Ukraine here, Russia come help?

They shouldn't be but they will be in a short time.

Not that much, attacking a diplomatic delegation would have massive consequences. Even in the nastiest wars it rarely happened.

Hope you are right. I just see a situation where the Russians would create a lie about Ukraine being the aggressor in the meeting, and that they were forced into arresting them, or something similar.

Hope you are right. I just see a situation where the Russians would create a lie about Ukraine being the aggressor in the meeting, and that they were forced into arresting them, or something similar.
No doubt the US is also monitoring it and told Russia not to do any shenanigans.

To make sure he doesnt do it again.

I am not sure I follow how that works.

If I was a mad evil world leader I would take the view that if I am going to continue to be punished either way then I may as well do what I want to do. I know the sanctions could get worse but if they have the effect of forcing the government to do the right thing then I don't understand continuing to punish innocent Russian people (a lot of which have protested and made it clear this isn't a war they want). Obviously this may be naïve from me and I may be missing some context.

I think people should stop freaking out about the nukes. It's one thing for Putin to waive them around as a threat, but to actually use one of them against the west would be as good as simultaneously using one of their own in Moscow. Now if Putin told his generals to nuke their own City, do you think they would do that? I'll believe that when it happens.

This isn't even an existential threat against Russia itself. The west has zero intention to even step on Russian soil. So when it comes to it do you think the Russian command (as in generals and others who would have to facilitate the use of nukes) would rather see their own country, with all their families in it, laid to ashes than retreat and perhaps regroup, try again another time?

Great post. As good as killing yourself.

Putin is apparently terrified of covid but doesn’t mind dying from nuclear war if cornered. Just look at some of the front pages of the news today in the tabloids with complete fearmongering.

Bojo, Biden and Macron would never let it come to that point and would not be trying to strangle Russia economically if they feared it was a viable response from Moscow.

You mean that exact tweet or a tweet about the ruble? I looked back but I didn't find a duplicate post quoting this specific tweet by myself.
Was different tweet, but same ruble graph, down c28%, cheers.

Speaks so much better than Boris, hit the nail on the head as well. It's always somebody else's child going to war. Not the big wig rich or politicians who instigate and start these wars.
Completely agree. He would be very well-suited to the job of PM at this current time in my opinion. Shame.

Are Ukraine willing to give up Donetsk, Luhansk and Crimea?
I'm not talking about whether or not it's the right thing to do, but it might be what's needed for the war to end, and I think that's an end-game Putin might be content with.

Speaks so much better than Boris, hit the nail on the head as well. It's always somebody else's child going to war. Not the big wig rich or politicians who instigate and start these wars.
On the other hand, he insists on calling it the Ukraine time and time again, which Ukrainians are frequently affronted by.

Are Ukraine willing to give up Donetsk, Luhansk and Crimea?
I'm not talking about whether or not it's the right thing to do, but it might be what's needed for the war to end, and I think that's an end-game Putin might be content with.
No. Next.

Completely agree. He would be very well-suited to the job of PM at this current time in my opinion. Shame.

Sadly the older generation and other pockets of people over here didn't want to give him a chance. I know people also had concerns over his opinion towards military which i sort of understand.

Sadly the older generation and other pockets of people over here didn't want to give him a chance. I know people also had concerns over his opinion towards military which i sort of understand.

Corbyn was never able to compromise or act politically. His principles came first come what may. Unfortunately that is not the way to win elections. I won't relitigate all of the issues but he was his own worst enemy.

This Twitter account is well worth a follow for updates on Russian state TV.

What's his negotiated political settlement that's palatable to both the Russians and Ukranians?
You don't need one when you can never hope to command a majority to actually have a chance of proposing and implementing it on the international stage.

Corbyn was never able to compromise or act politically. His principles came first come what may. Unfortunately that is not the way to win elections. I won't relitigate all of the issues but he was his own worst enemy.

Yeah i was going to say, he would have been tough to deal with when it came to certain issues and he might have alienated a lot of allies.

You don't need one when you can never hope to command a majority to actually have a chance of proposing and implementing it on the international stage.

You do need one for the wars to end, though.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood the post. You were talking about Corbyns chance of proposing it on the international stage, at first I thought you meant Russia/Ukraine didn't need a political settlement.

What is it about Russia that makes it particularly susceptible to authoritarian rule?

They only managed a couple real democratic election in the last 100 years or so (1991). I believe 1996 was rigged by Yeltsin, and I'm not sure about Putin's first 2 elections.

If Zelenskyy recognizes Crimea as part of Russia and gives Donetsk and Luhansk away, he will lose all the credibility in the eyes of Ukranian citizens. It will mean a defeat for them. Mass protests will follow. Zelenskyy will never ever win any election. They are in war, and they hate Putin. After everything that Putin said and did, I doubt the sanctions will be lifted even if he withdraws the troops.

May be a really ignorant question by me but if they did withdraw their troops why would the sanctions remain in place?
Because they have already killed people, Ukraine has no sovereignity in Putin's eyes and the fecker has started using the nuclear arms card. It will not go unnoticed and should not.

Thanks for the tags, I don't have it in me to go through the thread thoroughly anymore, checking different news sources already takes too much time & emotional effort.

Just a few updates on the protests in Russia — they're still happening although we're looking with envy at the anti-war marches in Berlin and the likes. We can't even get together properly as any group with more than 10-20 people has a target on its back. Since the beginning of the protests more than 6000 people had been arrested, 2791+ people were detained yesterday alone. The court dates are postponed, most will get a fine after spending a day in detainment, some will get a week or two, those who got caught for a second/third time already look at significant time behind bars. If you've been seen reposting the date of the meeting/suggesting a movement direction for your group etc., you get a significant time as a riot organiser.

Many people are losing their jobs — something that I'll probably have to go through myself despite being lucky in evading police on the streets (it's really the new way of protesting in Russia, playing hide & seek with police on the streets while simultaneously trying to grab as much attention as possible). My boss called me yesterday and said that she has a direct request to fire anyone who had signed any anti-war letters & petitions although they haven't got to my name yet (they most likely will, it's public information). She was very sweet though and said that she'll resign herself if she won't be able to protect me or my colleagues that also signed the letter.

A few members of Russian Duma had voiced their disapproval of the war in Ukraine — most notably a few members of KPRF, Russian Communist party, that thought that their petition to recognise DNR & LNR's independence, that they had hoped would bring peace to the region (yeah, right), was used as a pretense for starting a war.

I find it hard to believe in positive change, Belarus' 2020 had destroyed whatever was left of my youthful optimism — and going to the protests doesn't give me any hope or closure, you do it because someone has to. But who knows...

That takes a lot of courage and balls to do what you are doing harms. Respect.

What is it about Russia that makes it particularly susceptible to authoritarian rule?

They only managed a couple real democratic election in the last 100 years or so (1991). I believe 1996 was rigged by Yeltsin, and I'm not sure about Putin's first 2 elections.
Privatization in the 90s resulted in a small elite getting control over many former state companies, hence the oligarchy. And former security services members tightened their control over the government. I think that's why the country has a hard time getting out of this authoritarian setup.