Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

If Belarus join the war, I hope they're hit with the same kind of sanctions. I know they're restricted already, I don't know to what extend, though.

They allowed russian troops to use their territory for troops and missile launches. While also having a prorussian dictator. They should already be on sanctions.

Its not just about him being a mad man in power. I think there are two reasons. One, if Ukraine becomes a member of NATO, Moscow will be very close and very vulnerable to any future attack from the West, with plain land and no mountains for protection etc in between, with Ukraine under his control Moscow is well protected by Ukraine from the West and the Black sea from the South. And two, he gets Ukraine's Oil Depots, stops paying rent for pipelines and also reopens the water supply to Crimea.
Yes but those aren’t the reasons he’s shouting, my point entirely is instead he’s shouting mad stuff

They are for a while now, just not those economical war like sanctions. Yet.

Afaik, they're on sanctions for rigging elections and suppressing civil unrest, that seems to have had a jackshit effect. Nothing done about supporting the war.

Yes but those aren’t the reasons he’s shouting, my point entirely is instead he’s shouting mad stuff

The 'he doesn't want NATO in Ukraine' stuff is old. He has specifically explained why he wants Ukraine and it's not for that reason.

Its not just about him being a mad man in power. I think there are two reasons. One, if Ukraine becomes a member of NATO, Moscow will be very close and very vulnerable to any future attack from the West, with plain land and no mountains for protection etc in between, with Ukraine under his control Moscow is well protected by Ukraine from the West and the Black sea from the South. And two, he gets Ukraine's Oil Depots, stops paying rent for pipelines and also reopens the water supply to Crimea.

It's 2022, "The West" has no interest in going into Russia and both Latvia and Lithuania are closer and already members of NATO.

He's specifically mentioned nuclear on lots of occasions, not 3 weeks ago he was saying that while Russia would struggle to compete with NATO conventionally, their nuclear weapons systems are world class and would result in "no winner". Then yesterday he raised the nuclear alert, followed by a state bulletin reminding us that his submarines alone carry 500 warheads, sufficient to deal with Europe and most of the USA. Now with the law change signed in by Lukashenko, we've effectively had the go ahead for Russian nukes to be placed in Belarus.

Posture.

Just seen the pictures of Loma carrying an M16 assault rifle and wearing Ukraine military fatigues.

I know that the likes of Loma, Klitschkos and Usyk are more than capable of handling themselves, but it does underline the fact that the West needs to supply more support on the ground.

Still, the amount of respect for these guys just grows daily. Absolute warriors both inside and outside of the ring. True heroes.
Will be such a shame if anyone of them ends up killed or injured, some of the greatest boxers the world has ever seen. Respect.

Yeah but that's not why the "Coalition of the Willing" invaded.
Not to derail, should have been enough to get involved though? They didn't need to invent made up weapons etc to justify removing him after what he had done I don't think

Last edited:
Great post.

Worth going through the slides below on few of the instances that you're referring to:

Yeah seen a lot of this and it's so ridiculous. I get we have so much going on but this stuff does need to be called out as often as possible

Thanks for the tags, I don't have it in me to go through the thread thoroughly anymore, checking different news sources already takes too much time & emotional effort.

Just a few updates on the protests in Russia — they're still happening although we're looking with envy at the anti-war marches in Berlin and the likes. We can't even get together properly as any group with more than 10-20 people has a target on its back. Since the beginning of the protests more than 6000 people had been arrested, 2791+ people were detained yesterday alone. The court dates are postponed, most will get a fine after spending a day in detainment, some will get a week or two, those who got caught for a second/third time already look at significant time behind bars. If you've been seen reposting the date of the meeting/suggesting a movement direction for your group etc., you get a significant time as a riot organiser.

Many people are losing their jobs — something that I'll probably have to go through myself despite being lucky in evading police on the streets (it's really the new way of protesting in Russia, playing hide & seek with police on the streets while simultaneously trying to grab as much attention as possible). My boss called me yesterday and said that she has a direct request to fire anyone who had signed any anti-war letters & petitions although they haven't got to my name yet (they most likely will, it's public information). She was very sweet though and said that she'll resign herself if she won't be able to protect me or my colleagues that also signed the letter.

A few members of Russian Duma had voiced their disapproval of the war in Ukraine — most notably a few members of KPRF, Russian Communist party, that thought that their petition to recognise DNR & LNR's independence, that they had hoped would bring peace to the region (yeah, right), was used as a pretense for starting a war.

I find it hard to believe in positive change, Belarus' 2020 had destroyed whatever was left of my youthful optimism — and going to the protests doesn't give me any hope or closure, you do it because someone has to. But who knows...

Reactions: CassiusClaymore
Thanks for the tags, I don't have it in me to go through the thread thoroughly anymore, checking different news sources already takes too much time & emotional effort.

Just a few updates on the protests in Russia — they're still happening although we're looking with envy at the anti-war marches in Berlin and the likes. We can't even get together properly as any group with more than 10-20 people has a target on its back. Since the beginning of the protests more than 6000 people had been arrested, 2791+ people were detained yesterday alone. The court dates are postponed, most will get a fine after spending a day in detainment, some will get a week or two, those who got caught for a second/third time already look at significant time behind bars. If you've been seen reposting the date of the meeting/suggesting a movement direction for your group etc., you get a significant time as a riot organiser.

Many people are losing their jobs — something that I'll probably have to go through myself despite being lucky in evading police on the streets (it's really the new way of protesting in Russia, playing hide & seek with police on the streets while simultaneously trying to grab as much attention as possible). My boss called me yesterday and said that she has a direct request to fire anyone who had signed any anti-war letters & petitions although they haven't got to my name yet (they most likely will, it's public information). She was very sweet though and said that she'll resign herself if she won't be able to protect me or my colleagues that also signed the letter.

A few members of Russian Duma had voiced their disapproval of the war in Ukraine — most notably a few members of KPRF, Russian Communist party, that thought that their petition to recognise DNR & LNR's independence, that they had hoped would bring peace to the region (yeah, right), was used as a pretense for starting a war.

I find it hard to believe in positive change, Belarus' 2020 had destroyed whatever was left of my youthful optimism — and going to the protests doesn't give me any hope or closure, you do it because someone has to. But who knows...

Respect!!

Who the feck wants to attack Moscow? From the ground? When Russia has so many nukes?

Well, Russia is big and Ukraine is much smaller, but that's a conformal map projection. Greenland looks like a continent.
The comparison of their populations would probably give you a better picture — around 44 millions in Ukraine and less than 140 mil in Russia. The difference is still huge though.

I've just scanned over a few Putin news articles from 2021. I thought I'd be able to see him making veiled threats if he knew he was going to invade.

Yet, in June Biden and Putin released a joint statement saying, "...the United States and Russia have demonstrated that, even in periods of tension, they are able to make progress on our shared goals of ensuring predictability in the strategic sphere, reducing the risk of armed conflicts and the threat of nuclear war."

That same month an an in-depth interview with an American journalist Putin said, "...if you ask my opinion now, I am telling you what it is. The most important value in international affairs is predictability and stability."

I just read a few articles, but to me it doesn't look as if Putin has been planning this war for a long time... Maybe he isn't really so strategic and analytical, but rather impulsive and emotional?

I've just scanned over a few Putin news articles from 2021. I thought I'd be able to see him making veiled threats if he knew he was going to invade.

Yet, in June Biden and Putin released a joint statement saying, "...the United States and Russia have demonstrated that, even in periods of tension, they are able to make progress on our shared goals of ensuring predictability in the strategic sphere, reducing the risk of armed conflicts and the threat of nuclear war."

That same month an an in-depth interview with an American journalist Putin said, "...if you ask my opinion now, I am telling you what it is. The most important value in international affairs is predictability and stability."

I just read a few articles, but to me it doesn't look as if Putin has been planning this war for a long time... Maybe he isn't really so strategic and analytical, but rather impulsive and emotional?
Always amazed how shocked people are to find a psychopath was lying

The comparison of their populations would probably give you a better picture — around 44 millions in Ukraine and less than 140 mil in Russia. The difference is still huge though.
Oh yes, Russia is the biggest country in the world, of course. It's just that that map makes Ukraine look tiny. I just like proper maps :)

Jeez, even 3rd world countries with as corrupt and shitty governments allow protesting at the very least.

Stay safe, man.

But, did he know he was lying? To what end? Or did the psychopath just wake up one morning and thought - it's time for armageddon?
One morning? Putin has been looking for a war of some kind for over 10years.

That's what we're told, but have you ever considered that he perhaps isn't a planner? Some of his quotes and actions from early last year cast doubt in my mind that he knew it was coming.
No, I think he knew he was going to pull some kind of attack on Ukraine for a while, wasn’t he making arrangements to get out of SWIFT before the sanctions were put in place.

Its interesting actually, to look at the past events and see how they could possibly have a link to his decision to invade, e.g. unrest in Belarus, where he allowed it to go on for weeks, before sending in his troops to quell it, he mustve declared Lukashenko gives him his territory for attacks or goes down. Thinking of it, was actually weird how Putin wasnt jumping off his chair then at the prospect of belarussians edging towards EU.

No, I think he knew he was going to pull some kind of attack on Ukraine for a while, wasn’t he making arrangements to get out of SWIFT before the sanctions were put in place.
A strategic Putin is better than an impulsive one. I hope you're right, I guess. Not that Putin's character makes this shit storm more palatable in any way. I'd rather have a strategist with his finger over the button than an overly-emotional one.

Its interesting actually, to look at the past events and see how they could possibly have a link to his decision to invade, e.g. unrest in Belarus, where he allowed it to go on for weeks, before sending in his troops to quell it, he mustve declared Lukashenko gives him his territory for attacks or goes down. Thinking of it, was actually weird how Putin wasnt jumping off his chair then at the prospect of belarussians edging towards EU.
Also looking back perhaps the eu could have stepped in earlier to support the protestors as well... if they had toppled lukashenko and there was a democratic Belarus perhaps that could have changed everything

A strategic Putin is better than an impulsive one. I hope you're right, I guess. Not that Putin's character makes this shit storm more palatable in any way. I'd rather have a strategist with his finger over the button than an overly-emotional one.
I think there was a time the Ukrainian President massively insulted Putin over Crimea a few years ago, I think Putin had it somewhere in his mind to attack since then.

A question from my end undoubtedly discussed in prior pages but I am trying to keep up.

If we assume the worst and Putin goes trigger happy on nuclear attacks, is there a chain of command or committee of sorts to put him in check? Seems really far fetched to have such key man risk operating in the world. I am sure the majority of Russians don't quite agree with his approach too. Or at least I would like to think this.

Also looking back perhaps the eu could have stepped in earlier to support the protestors as well... if they had toppled lukashenko and there was a democratic Belarus perhaps that could have changed everything

Yeah, but thats when Russia wouldve stepped in first, and back then, everyone took them seriously.