Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

They'd have gone back for the penalty and maybe the Boks score after that but that the TMO went missing.
ABs look to have a plan to beat the rush defence. One backward ball to a second receiver to give some space, then a very flat ball out wide to Jordan or Clarke. Beats the 3 or 4 rushing defenders

Kiwis will enjoy the 12-11 score much more than the last time these two played against each other.

Perfectly read by Jordie Barrett and now we'll see if the Boks are all they're cranked up to be. NZ 19 RSA 11

Missed it. Was playing a hockey match. A severe shorter of keepers at my club means I’ve been promoted way above my abilities and had to line out for the firsts. Playing in a team full of teenagers. Twas a tricky afternoon.

This looks like a cracking match!
Standing up for the old cnuts :drool: :lol:

You were moaning about football being shit….this is the height of sport you’re missing right now. Brutal & beautiful

That could be the game even though there's plenty of time remaining. AB's have a bonus point at the moment for scoring at least 3 more tries than the Boks.

That try by Mbonambi which should have been chalked off will be a talking point if the Boks hang on.

The All Blacks were excellent for an hour but the Boks have found a way to win a wonderful game. Sometimes a game gets the big build up and it doesn't live up to the hype. This one did. Scott Robertson will get an apology over the Mbonambi try even though the Boks were under penalty advantage for an infringement close to the line.

1-1. Managed to roll back the years. Feeling it now though. They hit the ball very fecking hard these young fellas.
Showed them up with the technique and game-intelligence though?

……that’s my mantra when I’m getting run round by teenagers at 5-a-side

What a great game, thrilling till the very end

Teams for the Freedom Cup decider in Cape Town.

South Africa: 15. Willie le Roux, 14. Canan Moodie, 13. Jesse Kriel 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Cheslin Kolbe, 10. Handre Pollard, 9. Grant Williams, 8. Jasper Wiese, 7. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Ruan Nortje, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3.Frans Malherbe, 2. Bongi Mbonambi, 1. Ox Nche

Reserves: 16. Malcolm Marx, 17. Gerhard Steenekamp, 18. Vincent Koch, 19. Kwagga Smith, 20. Elrigh Louw, 21. Jaden Hendrikse, 22. Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 23. Lukhanyo Am

New Zealand: 15. Will Jordan, 14. Sevu Reece, 13. Rieko Ioane, 12. Jordie Barrett, 11. Mark Tele’a, 10. Damian McKenzie, 9. Cortez Ratima, 8. Ardie Savea, 7. Sam Cane, 6. Wallace Sititi, 5. Tupou Vaa’i, 4. Scott Barrett (c), 3. Tyrel Lomax, 2. Codie Taylor, 1. Tamaiti Williams

Reserves: 16. Asafo Aumua, 17. Ofa Tu’ungafasi, 18. Fletcher Newell, 19. Sam Darry, 20. Luke Jacobson, 21. TJ Perenara, 22. Beauden Barrett, 23. Anton Lienert-Brown

Teams for the Freedom Cup decider in Cape Town.

South Africa: 15. Willie le Roux, 14. Canan Moodie, 13. Jesse Kriel 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Cheslin Kolbe, 10. Handre Pollard, 9. Grant Williams, 8. Jasper Wiese, 7. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Ruan Nortje, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3.Frans Malherbe, 2. Bongi Mbonambi, 1. Ox Nche

Reserves: 16. Malcolm Marx, 17. Gerhard Steenekamp, 18. Vincent Koch, 19. Kwagga Smith, 20. Elrigh Louw, 21. Jaden Hendrikse, 22. Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 23. Lukhanyo Am

New Zealand: 15. Will Jordan, 14. Sevu Reece, 13. Rieko Ioane, 12. Jordie Barrett, 11. Mark Tele’a, 10. Damian McKenzie, 9. Cortez Ratima, 8. Ardie Savea, 7. Sam Cane, 6. Wallace Sititi, 5. Tupou Vaa’i, 4. Scott Barrett (c), 3. Tyrel Lomax, 2. Codie Taylor, 1. Tamaiti Williams

Reserves: 16. Asafo Aumua, 17. Ofa Tu’ungafasi, 18. Fletcher Newell, 19. Sam Darry, 20. Luke Jacobson, 21. TJ Perenara, 22. Beauden Barrett, 23. Anton Lienert-Brown

When is this?

Why the All Blacks might have more support than you'd expect in Cape Town: https://archive.md/M898m
Hahaha yeah, there's a reason Cape Town doesn't get as many SA v NZ tests anymore. It's a thing here - the All Blacks have a massive supporter base here, albeit I am sure it's diluting with each passing generation. Our household was actually split when I grew up, with my mom a NZ supporter (albeit she wasn't hectically into her rugby) and my dad, a big Bok supporter. Irony is that my mom has Malay heritage and was fairly light skinned (she could, as an example, drive on the "whites only buses") and my dad was dark skinned - he suffered much more abuse during apartheid. Our siblings (4 of us) were also split down the middle in terms of our support.

A win for the Boks means they regain the Freedom Cup and have basically 8 fingers on the Rugby Championship trophy. A win for the All Blacks means they retain Freedom Cup and keep their hopes of winning the Rugby Championship alive.

The Boks obviously retain the the world number 1 ranking if they win but Ireland go top of World Rugby's rankings if the Kiwis win. A win by 15+ for New Zealand and the Boks drop to 3rd in the world. Another win for the Wallabies in Argentina and they'll go ahead of Los Pumas to 7th on World Rugby's rankings.

The crowd was noticeably and unusually silent during the haka for a test in South Africa.

Grant Williams can have no complaints about that call from Matt Carley. That first scrum by the Boks was ominous.