Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

Interesting watching some of these less regular boks.

It feels like the team that won in 2019 are mostly all still around and first choices. Which leads me to think that a lot of that team will call it quits around the same time. That transition, when the bomb squad, Kolisi, Etzebeth etc etc all hang up their boots will be fascinating…..that pack that’s won 2 world cups could easily be the best pack of all time? They’ll be hard to replace

That try by Marx should have been chalked off for obstruction at the maul. Marx was at the back of the maul. He then lost his bind as he fellover, regathered his bind, peeled away and scored.

Last edited:
Wallabies hung in there for about 50 minutes but the Boks run away with a 30-12 win in Perth.

What a bad perfomance from Pumas, many where complaining of Molina beinga great player but not Captain material and he surely didn't respond to that in the best way.
Great response from the ABs, they surely didn't like the excessive trashing by some fans.

@Xaviesta I see Leon McDonalds has quit as all blacks assistant/attacking coach. Razor sighted just a difference in philosophy on how to approach the game etc.

Yeah, probably good for them to nip this in the bud now instead of letting it fester although given he only lasted 5 tests, one has to wonder how things fell apart so quickly and if either Razor or MacDonald should have seen this coming? Razor's coaching staff had been well known since March 2023. The staff he announced nearly 18 months ago would have been the staff he chose had he been parachuted in as All Blacks coach this time 2 years ago and apparently MacDonald was the first coach Razor asked to join his backroom staff.

I always found it weird that the staff had a backs coach and an attack coach. All one needs is an attack coach to look after the attack and the backs. What compilated things even further is Razor had Scott Hansen looking after the halves, Jason Holland looking after the centres and Leon MacDonald looking after the outside backs. Throw in Jason Ryan looking after the tight 5 and Scott Robertson looking after the back row. Razor would justify it by saying each coach will look after a particular unit within the team and be responsible for selections within their unit. In the end it just looked like a kitchen with too many cooks.

Tony Brown is a fascinating figure in all this. When Steve Hansen left as All Blacks coach after the 2019 World Cup, Brown was linked with the coaching tickets of Scott Robertson and Ian Foster in the event either of them got the gig at the end of 2019. Brown though announced he was going to follow Jamie Joseph by either sticking with Japan or being part of Joseph's coaching ticket if he got the All Blacks job. As it was, Joseph stayed with Japan. So too did Tony Brown. Jamie Joseph departed the job of Japan head coach to take up a role of head of rugby at the Highlanders. Brown is now attack coach for the Springboks and if your lot thump the All Blacks particularly via some quality attacking rugby, the question in New Zealand how did Tony Brown become lost to New Zealand rugby.

Yeah, probably good for them to nip this in the bud now instead of letting it fester although given he only lasted 5 tests, one has to wonder how things fell apart so quickly and if either Razor or MacDonald should have seen this coming? Razor's coaching staff had been well known since March 2023. The staff he announced nearly 18 months ago would have been the staff he chose had he been parachuted in as All Blacks coach this time 2 years ago and apparently MacDonald was the first coach Razor asked to join his backroom staff.

I always found it weird that the staff had a backs coach and an attack coach. All one needs is an attack coach to look after the attack and the backs. What compilated things even further is Razor had Scott Hansen looking after the halves, Jason Holland looking after the centres and Leon MacDonald looking after the outside backs. Throw in Jason Ryan looking after the tight 5 and Scott Robertson looking after the back row. Razor would justify it by saying each coach will look after a particular unit within the team and be responsible for selections within their unit. In the end it just looked like a kitchen with too many cooks.

Tony Brown is a fascinating figure in all this. When Steve Hansen left as All Blacks coach after the 2019 World Cup, Brown was linked with the coaching tickets of Scott Robertson and Ian Foster in the event either of them got the gig at the end of 2019. Brown though announced he was going to follow Jamie Joseph by either sticking with Japan or being part of Joseph's coaching ticket if he got the All Blacks job. As it was, Joseph stayed with Japan. So too did Tony Brown. Jamie Joseph departed the job of Japan head coach to take up a role of head of rugby at the Highlanders. Brown is now attack coach for the Springboks and if your lot thump the All Blacks particularly via some quality attacking rugby, the question in New Zealand how did Tony Brown become lost to New Zealand rugby.
Yeah, we're quite interested to see the impact TB has on the Boks and if he might be the one earmarked to take over after Rassie leaves (whenever that might be)...

If I was advising Felix Jones, I'd suggest he bases himself in Brisbane where you can wear a t-shirt and flip flops all year and join Joe Schmidt's coaching staff.

Borthwick had recently said that he was a really intense guy, very focused. Given today's statement,very possibly was more likely just pissed off/frustrated/exasperated
Maybe so. He’s got a 12 month notice, crazy to quit 7 months into a job then have to work a 12 month notice

Rassie Erasmus and Scott Robertson have named their sides for Saturday's blockbuster at Ellis Park. Eben Etzebeth on the bench is not a misprint - he had been touch and go all week around his fitness and he'll come during the 2nd half. Sam Cane would love nothing more than to have a barnstorming game after what happened in the World Cup final. Both sides will play with attacking intent and have speed to burn out wide, so a try fest would not be a surprise.

Springboks: Aphelele Fassi, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Cobus Reinach, Jasper Wiese, Ben-Jason Dixon, Siya Kolisi (captain), Ruan Nortje, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi, Ox Nche. Reserves: Malcolm Marx, Gerhard Steenekamp, Vincent Koch, Eben Etzebeth, Elrigh Louw, Kwagga Smith, Grant Williams, Handre Pollard.

All Blacks: Beauden Barrett, Will Jordan, Rieko Ioane, Jordie Barrett, Caleb Clarke, Damian McKenzie, TJ Perenara, Ardie Savea, Sam Cane, Ethan Blackadder, Tupou Vaa’i, Scott Barrett (captain), Tyrel Lomax, Codie Taylor, Tamaiti Williams. Reserves: Asafo Aumua, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Fletcher Newell, Sam Darry, Samipeni Finau, Cortez Ratima, Anton Lienert-Brown, Mark Tele’a

Rassie Erasmus and Scott Robertson have named their sides for Saturday's blockbuster at Ellis Park. Eben Etzebeth on the bench is not a misprint - he had been touch and go all week around his fitness and he'll come during the 2nd half. Sam Cane would love nothing more than to have a barnstorming game after what happened in the World Cup final. Both sides will play with attacking intent and have speed to burn out wide, so a try fest would not be a surprise.

Springboks: Aphelele Fassi, Cheslin Kolbe, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Cobus Reinach, Jasper Wiese, Ben-Jason Dixon, Siya Kolisi (captain), Ruan Nortje, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi, Ox Nche. Reserves: Malcolm Marx, Gerhard Steenekamp, Vincent Koch, Eben Etzebeth, Elrigh Louw, Kwagga Smith, Grant Williams, Handre Pollard.

All Blacks: Beauden Barrett, Will Jordan, Rieko Ioane, Jordie Barrett, Caleb Clarke, Damian McKenzie, TJ Perenara, Ardie Savea, Sam Cane, Ethan Blackadder, Tupou Vaa’i, Scott Barrett (captain), Tyrel Lomax, Codie Taylor, Tamaiti Williams. Reserves: Asafo Aumua, Ofa Tu’ungafasi, Fletcher Newell, Sam Darry, Samipeni Finau, Cortez Ratima, Anton Lienert-Brown, Mark Tele’a
The big day is here. And no, I’m not talking about Tasman vs Bay of Plenty :lol:

Proper looking forward to this. Been out for a little thrifting trip with the missus, conditional on stopping in a beer garden for a while. Home now, baby’s entertaining himself in the garden, sons fecked off to watch Hull FC and I get to watch these 2 gangs of monster heathens kick the shit out of each other. Good times

While the host broadcaster is on a break, I've got Mark Bosnich explaining the new Champions League format. feck me, what a mess. As for the host broadcaster, they're on a rampage to mention that the Boks are world champions and they also won the 1995 World Cup final.

Last edited:
All Blacks will be chuffed with the first 3 minutes. An early penalty, good territory and making the Boks make a lot of tackles.

All Blacks will be chuffed with the first 3 minutes. An early penalty, good territory and making the Boks make a lot of tackles.
Amazing from both. Two huge hits on Blackadder. ABs will want to leave with some points

Yellow for Fassi for entering the tackle from the wrong side close to the line.

Dream start for the All Blacks - a try for Codie Taylor from the maul. Kolisi wondering if there's obstruction.