Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

What an epic win for Ireland!!!! The right result too. They were the more positive side. Shame there's no 3rd test.

Amazing stuff from Frawley!!! What a win.

Some absolutely pathetic attempts at gamesmanship from SA, it has to be said. Jumping into Bealham's legs and claiming obstruction and claiming and getting a bs knock-on call for that pen. Very happy it didn't affect the result in the end.

Amazing stuff from Frawley!!! What a win.

Some absolutely pathetic attempts at gamesmanship from SA, it has to be said. Jumping into Bealham's legs and claiming obstruction and claiming and getting a bs knock-on call for that pen. Very happy it didn't affect the result in the end.
Dubious refereeing decision too.

Missed it. Fell asleep after 2 solid days granddading :(

Sounded like a good game at least. Congrats to Ireland, glad they’ve something to take home with them

Just need @JPRouve ’s boys to stop violating the locals for 80 minutes and draw the day for the northern hemisphere now ;)

Missed it. Fell asleep after 2 solid days granddading :(

Sounded like a good game at least. Congrats to Ireland, glad they’ve something to take home with them

i’m not up with modern lingo. is this slang for having sex with an older divorcee?

i’m not up with modern lingo. is this slang for having sex with an older divorcee?
Yes.

But in my case no, it’s looking after my one-year old stepson’s kid whilst his dad goes out and gets pissed as feck. Which he does a lot at the moment

Yes.

But in my case no, it’s looking after my one-year old stepson’s kid whilst his dad goes out and gets pissed as feck. Which he does a lot at the moment

that’s no age to have a kid.

Pablo Matera. His eyes might be unnervingly close to each other and he might be a tiny bit racist, but what a rugby player

I do think Ireland will be going home with more questions than confirmations after this series. The transition to the new era without Sexton is going to be bumpy. SA on form should have probably taken both tests.

I would disagree. Much more positives than negatives. JGP seemed like a huge loss but Casey’s performance in the first test was massively reassuring, considering we need to think about JGP’s successor fairly soon. Plus you have great contributions from Osborne and Crowley, two other young players we’ll be relying on in the years ahead. Mack Hansen will (hopefully) be back soon, Sheehan missed three quarters of the series. Baird and McCarthy are yong and lernin, with PO’M eased out of the team. Loads of reasons to be hopeful about the future.

The only nagging concern is front row. Our lack of depth there needs to be sorted if we’re going to continue to hit the level we’ve reached over the last few years.

All in all a fantastic finish to the year when plenty of people thought we were going to end on a downer (me included!)

I would disagree. Much more positives than negatives. JGP seemed like a huge loss but Casey’s performance in the first test was massively reassuring, considering we need to think about JGP’s successor fairly soon. Plus you have great contributions from Osborne and Crowley, two other young players we’ll be relying on in the years ahead. Mack Hansen will (hopefully) be back soon, Sheehan missed three quarters of the series. Baird and McCarthy are yong and lernin, with PO’M eased out of the team. Loads of reasons to be hopeful about the future.

The only nagging concern is front row. Our lack of depth there needs to be sorted if we’re going to continue to hit the level we’ve reached over the last few years.

All in all a fantastic finish to the year when plenty of people thought we were going to end on a downer (me included!)
There is talent in the front row just unusually it’s all in the tight head prop, you have young Scott Wilson who looks the real deal and Tom o toole at ulster, wouldn’t be surprised if o toole moves to loose head for ulster as well as Ireland like porter did, the area I’m worried about is Centre aki is 34, mclosky and Henderson are the wrong side of 30 and ringrose is 28, with the way the splits are going younger fresher players are going to be needed in those positions.

There is talent in the front row just unusually it’s all in the tight head prop, you have young Scott Wilson who looks the real deal and Tom o toole at ulster, wouldn’t be surprised if o toole moves to loose head for ulster as well as Ireland like porter did, the area I’m worried about is Centre aki is 34, mclosky and Henderson are the wrong side of 30 and ringrose is 28, with the way the splits are going younger fresher players are going to be needed in those positions.

Good point about tight vs loose head.

I’d give Osborne one of those slots as a centre. Keenan will be straight back in at 15 after the Olympics and we should find a way to keep Osborne in the team. He’s class and getting better all the time.

Good point about tight vs loose head.

I’d give Osborne one of those slots as a centre. Keenan will be straight back in at 15 after the Olympics and we should find a way to keep Osborne in the team. He’s class and getting better all the time.
I was thinking Osborne for the nimble runner, it’s just I haven’t seen a bully boy runner like aki and Henderson out there at the moment, I’d also like to see the scrum half gunne get some time at Leinster he looked good in the u20s last year

I'm actually glad Ireland won in Durban after the Boks kicked 8, yes 8 penalty goals. Where's the ambition to turn some of those kickable penalties into tries? They showed good positivity on attack at Loftus and instead of building on it, they revert back to type instead of continuing to evolve into a side that can play with more width and attacking intent. They've got wonderful backs and forwards who are skilful, so let them play. Don't lose and look ugly at the same time which is what the Boks did yesterday.

I'm actually glad Ireland won in Durban after the Boks kicked 8, yes 8 penalty goals. Where's the ambition to turn some of those kickable penalties into tries? They showed good positivity on attack at Loftus and instead of building on it, they revert back to type instead of continuing to evolve into a side that can play with more width and attacking intent. They've got wonderful backs and forwards who are skilful, so let them play. Don't lose and look ugly at the same time which is what the Boks did yesterday.
These two tests definitely showed that the Boks are moving into a transitional period. It's 3 years to go to the next World Cup, so it will be interesting to see the route Rassie takes over the next couple of years. IMO, Rassie is going to struggle to adapt, 6 years of a winning formula with a specific set of players - going to be extremely hard for him to change. I'll tell you what though, if he wins the next WC, he'll have to go down as one of the greatest sporting coaches of all time.

@Xaviesta - on the verge of history here

A bit like the Wales tests - a story of the good, the bad and the ugly. A good start, bad discipline and mistakes ( a penalty kick for touch only going 10 yards, a penalty kick for touch going dead in goal) along with the ugly habit continuing of building a good lead only to let the opposition back into the game rearing its head for the 3rd test in a row. It's weird and a bit sad that I'm just so relieved the Wallabies have finished the July window with 3 wins from 3. Make no mistake, immense improvement is required if we're to get within cooee of the Springboks in Brisbane and Perth next month.

Last edited: