Round of 16 | France vs Belgium | Portugal vs Slovenia

Ronaldo is going to score and we will all be seething.

He does take him off from time to time.

Not like Ronaldo has ever been that amazing on free kicks so him just taking every single one instead of Fernandes or Silva is a real ego trip today.

Taking him off at the end of the game is very different to not picking him for a European Championships quarter final.

I know it's stating the obvious at this point but Martinez is an awful coach. Almost Southgate tier. Almost...

Portugal are terrible. A race to the bottom with Southgate.

Congrats Martinez.
Our FA President really thought he had struck gold with this appointment. So proud of himself. That's what you get when you have clueless bureaucrats. Our very own Ed Woodward.

Anyone with the minimum football knowledge could see this coming.

He’d actually managed him well going into this tournament. The gamelan so far has been so meek.
That was him all over for Belgium too. Insane killers in the friendlies and qualifiers, then mediocre in the actual tournament

Don't worry Portuguese fans, if you don't go through tonight and sack Martinez, Tedesco and Southgate should be available soon

The football on show in this tournament as been atrocious. Has anyone watched the copa America? If so is that better than this rubbish

ssshhh, now they'll tell you that the main reason you're not enjoyng this crap is because you're old.

I know it's stating the obvious at this point but Martinez is an awful coach. Almost Southgate tier. Almost...
No idea how he keeps getting these top jobs. He ruined belgiums generation and he’s doing the same with Portugal’s

Slovenia have defended really well but they've got absolutely nothing in an attacking sense.

It was the same in the England game.

Obvious man on the edge of box ignored for a hit and hope cross

It must be suck to be attacking player and play with Ronaldo. I bet that he all the time is yelling; "I am open. I am open. Pass it to me. Pass it to me."

That was him all over for Belgium too. Insane killers in the friendlies and qualifiers, then mediocre in the actual tournament

Oh I don’t rate him. It was akin to Fergie planning for Rooney’s decline and Moyes handing him a massive deal.

Odd though. He’s an asset. Pre tourney they had a grasp of that. Since it started it’s gone bad.

What's with all the Ronaldo hate on here, yes he's very arrogant, and selfish for taking everything and has the biggest ego known to man, but come on guys

Ronaldo is going to score and we will all be seething.

I mean, he has to eventually. Then all the Ronaldo fan boys will emerge and declare him the GOAT because he scored after being a massive drag on this fantastic Portuguese side.

Taking Leao off and not Ronaldo, Martinez will lead Portugal to being upset by Slovenia as long as it keeps Ronaldo happy

I have seen two good games from him in the CL. Other than that he’s always average. High volume passer but doesn’t control the game, side to side passes always, doesn’t impact that much, doesn’t score that much, doesn’t assist that much. Highly energetic, decent technique and runs alot. That’s about it.
Since he’s come off, Portugal have had less control. He’s their best midfielder.

Martinez is an utter clown. He's been pathetic when handling "Golden Generations", bowing to player power in both teams.

I was saying to my partner at the beginning of this match that Ronaldo had had a decent tournament and although hasn’t brought much hasn’t been a net negative. That definitely isn’t the case now. He needs to stop starting for Portugal.

Why do commentators continue to act like Ronaldo is dangerous from free kicks? Does he only have this reputation due to the Porto free kick (and some other ones from his early career)?
I think you mean Arsenal. Porto was from open play.

But basically, yes. He had his 2-3 better free kick seasons at United from 06-09, with some knuckleball type kicks that were on target and either went in or made for dangerous rebounds. I don't think the current generation of balls even move like that anymore, not with the same kind of technique that he used to use.

Slovenia is your average League 1 team against a PL team in an FA Cup tie at home.

They will lose in the last 10 minutes.