Round of 16 | France vs Belgium | Portugal vs Slovenia

I think France will handle Portugal okay, especially if Ronaldo starts.

France - Germany/Spain is another matter.
Both Germany and Spain would wipe the floor with France.

You guys can complain about Deschamps all you want, he's delivered you a European final, a world cup victory and another world cup final. Sure, you want to see better football with all that talent, but I'm not sure you guys appreciate just how good you've had it.

For a couple of matches at the start of Tedesco's reign, that's what I thought we were getting. Such a massive shame he quickly transformed into Martinez Mk II. But oh well, we lived through the era of being about 58th on the Fifa ranking and missing every single tournament, I'm sure we'll survive whatever miserable future lies ahead of us as well.
That's because I appreciate what we've had that I actually don't care much about trophies now. In my lifetime I've seen France win 2 World Cups and 2 Euros.
That's more than enough, I wanna enjoy watching the national team. I don't think that's too much to hope for

People keep forgetting who France are. Their value is how good they're athleticism and defence. It has been that way since 2014. They set up in a clear mid block, not pressing too much. I don't quite understand how people don't see that this is the game plan. Add that they've played Austria, Belgium and Netherlands, which aren't easy teams
Exactly right and it annoys me when people and pundits compare us (England) to them. Like you said they've played Austria, Belgium and Netherlands and haven't conceded a goal in those fixtures. We've played Slovenia, Serbia, Slovakia and Denmark.

If we had the same opposition with the same results I'd be more optimistic for us.

That's because I appreciate what we've had that I actually don't care much about trophies now. In my lifetime I've seen France win 2 World Cups and 2 Euros.
That's more than enough, I wanna enjoy watching the national team. I don't think that's too much to hope for

You forgot two confederation cups.

I think it's Frances tournament. I think their the best equipped to deal with the higher stakes, tighter games against better opposition.

You guys can complain about Deschamps all you want, he's delivered you a European final, a world cup victory and another world cup final. Sure, you want to see better football with all that talent, but I'm not sure you guys appreciate just how good you've had it.

So only one trophy then, with arguably the best squad on paper and while playing terrible football.
Losing finals is even worse than getting knocked out in the semis or quarters.

So only one trophy then, with arguably the best squad on paper and while playing terrible football.
Should have lost vs Argentina way before the pens so that's one doesn't hurt. The Portugal and Italy ones were horrible afterwards.

Come on Portugal tonight!

I've pretty much always been on the Messi side of the debate but it would be cool to see Ron have a final few big moments.

2004, lost in the final to Greece.
2016, didn't play most of the game through injury.

Sure, Portugal won without him, so, they could have won with him, but...........butterfly effect and all.

Would like to see Portugal win it with Ronaldo playing the entire game.

He lost one final to Ronaldo's Portugal and one final to Messi in the winter tournament (when every referee and his dog was helping Messi). I don't think that any manager would be guaranteed to do better.

I hope I don’t have to hear the “golden generation “ ephitet ever again applied to Belgium

I'm not sure about that, probably an even game imo.
Have you even watched any of France’s games this tournament? They’ve not scored a single open play goal yet. Scored 3 goals 2 of which was OG and 1 pen. Spain will demolish them. Germany and France may be a bit more even.

2004, lost in the final to Greece.
2016, didn't play most of the game through injury.

Sure, Portugal won without him, so, they could have won with him, but...........butterfly effect and all.

Would like to see Portugal win it with Ronaldo playing the entire game.

Lets no go mad. I want him to score a couple of goals.

Sure losing finals hurts (at least I think so, wouldn't know since we've never even made one in my lifetime), but it's still a significant achievement on the international stage. I also wouldn't say it's been terrible football throughout his entire reign, at least in 2018 it was a mix pragmatic games and pretty damn good ones. Exactly what you need.

Why are the BBC playing 5live coverage of Wimbledon over images of football? Is this the famous Tory austerity in action?

Should have lost vs Argentina way before the pens so that's one doesn't hurt. The Portugal and Italy ones were horrible afterwards.

Yeah losing at home to Portugal must sting. All razor close finals at the end though. No one should be surprised if France reach this Euro's final and the outcome is decided by the tighest of margins again.

Argentina was destroying them in the final before the ref brought France back in game.
Not really. France came back strong, and were one save away of winning it. Let’s get real. It’s a tough team to beat: they lost to Argentina and Italy on penalties and to Portugal in the ET. Very very tough team to handle ever since winning the WC in 1998.

Argentina was destroying them in the final before the ref brought France back in game.

Doesn't change the fact that they didn't wipe the floor with them . Nobody ever is going to describe it as a floor wiping exhibition .

Not really. France came back strong, and were one save away of winning it. Let’s get real. It’s a tough team to beat: they lost to Argentina and Italy on penalties and to Portugal in the ET. Very very tough team to handle ever since winning the WC in 1998.

They would have never come back if the ref didn't award them a penalty out of nowhere.

He lost one final to Ronaldo's Portugal and one final to Messi in the winter tournament (when every referee and his dog was helping Messi). I don't think that any manager would be guaranteed to do better.

Ronaldo left the pitch injured after twenty minutes. I just think France should have won more with the talent and the squad depth that they have. Like Spain, or Barca and Real at club level. Deschamps, although a good manager, has a knack for losing finals as a player and as a manager it seems.

Yeah , they can be beat , no doubt about it , but I'd be amazed if it's easy . They are grinders

Graphic just said Guy Mowbray and Martin Keown commentating but it’s definitely not. I don’t recognise this guy’s voice.