Round of 16 | France vs Belgium | Portugal vs Slovenia

Looking at how dour France, Italy, and Belgium have been, I think I'm being too harsh on England. Only Spain and Germany are living up to their reputation - and the latter not by much.

Belgium needs some blood transfusion, even if both teams at the final minutes played to not fvck it up, once loosing, go for it...loosing by more goals it's the same, they just stroll the ball like nothing

France has now scored 1 penalty and 2 own goals.

How boring is this team? Hopefully they will exit next round...

Horrible, cowardly performance against a very average side. Set up to invite them to score, played the country’s name instead of the players.

Lukaku is finished, De Bruyne doesn’t offer anything for Belgium. Luckily we have a few young, bright players so not all is lost. Fire Tedesco tonight and let’s try again.

Horrible, cowardly performance against a very average side. Set up to invite them to score, played the country’s name instead of the players.

Lukaku is finished, De Bruyne doesn’t offer anything for Belgium. Luckily we have a few young, bright players so not all is lost. Fire Tedesco tonight and let’s try again.
the phase of play leading to the goal started with Lukaku failing to control the ball again

Lukaku is one of the most frustrating players one can watch, average hold up play, shit finishing, even shitter passing.

He is like that blackhole forward of your highschool futsal team, the attack disappears with him and you are back defending again.

Looking at how dour France, Italy, and Belgium have been, I think I'm being too harsh on England. Only Spain and Germany are living up to their reputation - and the latter not by much.

Yeah I think people are slightly over praising Germany.

They rode their luck against Denmark and were seconds away from losing to Switzerland. They looked great against Scotland but Scotland were the worst team in the tournament by miles.

Spain have been brilliant.

Our wonderfully competent FA have already extended his contract, so not going to happen. What a bright future ahead!

A few others were exciting for me: Türkiye, Georgia, and Austria. Romania and Portugal too were entertaining enough.
I would say, the best have been:
Spain
Germany/Portugal
Austria/Switzerland

France didn’t look good, but they ate still real contenders for the title. They’re very disciplined.

Yeah I think people are slightly over praising Germany.

They rode their luck against Denmark and were seconds away from losing to Switzerland. They looked great against Scotland but Scotland were the worst team in the tournament by miles.

Spain have been brilliant.
Agreed somewhat re Germany. Spain's high pace will be a big problem for them - as it will be for any team. Even when you try to sit back like Italy they ll murder you with it regardless so im not sure thats the strategy either. The only way then seems to be to outscore them and I'm not really seeing any other team currently in form enough to do that. But - as always - the ball is round and it can go many ways.

Yeah pretty much it. People just see them and think they're bad because they have some sort of expectation that they should be doing a lot better with the names they have but they're so hard to play against and break down. They've only conceded a penalty in 4 games and Belgium other than a chance in the first 10-15 mins were limited to shots from distance all game.

People keep forgetting who France are. Their value is how good they're athleticism and defence. It has been that way since 2014. They set up in a clear mid block, not pressing too much. I don't quite understand how people don't see that this is the game plan. Add that they've played Austria, Belgium and Netherlands, which aren't easy teams

the phase of play leading to the goal started with Lukaku failing to control the ball again
Comical performance, it’s as if they dropped a Sunday league player in our squad. Just awful, awful stuff.

France is not entertaining, but they are a better tactical side than England/Italy though.

I said it before and will say it again, England has been playing better than France

Its not a high bar, but i think France look a more structured side, for sure.

Spain by far the best footballing team of the tournament. I think Portugal win tonight and beat France in the quarters. Spain-Portugal semis would be good.

France is not entertaining, but they are a better tactical side than England/Italy though.
France are missing Pogba and Giroud..
There is nobody that can pass it to Mbappe and the forwards ..
A midfield of Touchemi, and Kante and Rabiot cannot pass ..
Forward of Greizman, Thuram and Mbappe..is easy to defend ..

I said it before and will say it again, England has been playing better than France
Its not a high bar, but i think France look a more structured side, for sure.

We have seen higher gears from France, though - we know they can step it up. England, on the other hand, have not even come to close to looking like the sum of their part under Southgate.

Our wonderfully competent FA have already extended his contract, so not going to happen. What a bright future ahead!
He still needs to go, I doubt even the players still believe in him after he has shown he has the tactical knowledge of Southgate tis Euros.

And I want Hein, young players and attacking football; wouldn’t even care if we don’t get past the group stage (if we get to the US that is), as long as we show that we believe in ourselves and the way we set up to play.

Spain by far the best footballing team of the tournament. I think Portugal win tonight and beat France in the quarters. Spain-Portugal semis would be good.

I think France will handle Portugal okay, especially if Ronaldo starts.

France - Germany/Spain is another matter.

how do you outshoot someone 20-5 but get fewer on target with 1 for france and 2 for Belgium???

France are missing Pogba and Giroud..
There is nobody that can pass it to Mbappe and the forwards ..
A midfield of Touchemi, and Kante and Rabiot cannot pass ..
Forward of Greizman, Thuram and Mbappe..is easy to defend ..

Tchouameni is a decent distributor, showed it today.

But i get your point about lack of creativity, but then, it's also very difficult to break them down as well.

That's what you get for hiring a forrener national team coach!

Deschamps is set to stay till 2026 :wenger:
You guys can complain about Deschamps all you want, he's delivered you a European final, a world cup victory and another world cup final. Sure, you want to see better football with all that talent, but I'm not sure you guys appreciate just how good you've had it.

He still needs to go, I doubt even the players still believe in him after he has shown he has the tactical knowledge of Southgate tis Euros.

And I want Hein, young players and attacking football; wouldn’t even care if we don’t get past the group stage (if we get to the US that is), as long as we show that we believe in ourselves and the way we set up to play.

For a couple of matches at the start of Tedesco's reign, that's what I thought we were getting. Such a massive shame he quickly transformed into Martinez Mk II. But oh well, we lived through the era of being about 58th on the Fifa ranking and missing every single tournament, I'm sure we'll survive whatever miserable future lies ahead of us as well.

I prefer Camavinga over Tchuameni. But Deschamps obviously doesn´t feel the same :lol:

Bad for France, good for its adversaries.

Imagine the fans who travelled to watch this game. Completely spineless tactics by Tedesco. Lukaku was trash in big games before, he's even worse now. Only a blind man would not sub him off after an hour maximum after such an appaling performance.