Religion, what's the point?

Thanks Saliph, but I'm not bad at deciphering stuff in English. It'd be great if he was. This thread is getting a bit flat and we haven't had an agenda banning for ages, but like I say, end of that discussion in this thread, ta.

So back on topic.

Just watched Religulous, a Bill Maher documentary (directed by Larry Charles) where he looks at various religions and what makes them tick. Just asks simple questions really, there's a lot of "why do you believe x?" that go unanswered, and it's frustrating to watch at times. Any anti-theists should give it a watch.

Just watched Religulous, a Bill Maher documentary (directed by Larry Charles) where he looks at various religions and what makes them tick. Just asks simple questions really, there's a lot of "why do you believe x?" that go unanswered, and it's frustrating to watch at times. Any anti-theists should give it a watch.

It's very harshly edited. While I think religion is clearly bollocks, a lot of the editing is solely done with the purpose of making the people in it look stupid. It's a horrible thing to do, really.

Even in secular non-Sharia countries, Muslims aren't 'free' to leave their religion. At least not in any meaningful sense of the word. Children are brainwashed from an early age to believe that they must follow the religion that is being imposed on them, or else they'll be tortured for eternity. And then there is the reality that Muslims (especially Muslim women) would be ostracised from family/friends/community if they were to leave the religion, and in many cases would be threatened with violence.

Most Muslims are Muslim because they don't really have any other choice.

Not many religions are. I've seen it happen in hindu & christian communities as well. Nothing to do with the actual religion, but more like not fitting into the society (good or bad, as it may be). If you are living in a thieves den, it helps to be (or pretend to be a theif). Probably a bad analogy. Most religions communities actively try to help others (and maybe indirectly cause harm) to others not belonging to them. Lobbying for benefits just because they are from a certain relegions, caste or community is quite common leading to prefertential (tough not always deserved) treatment.

If you are in a religious country, it is definitely not recommended to announce that you are now a non-beleiver. It just makes you a outcast to the society and its beliefs. Expecting impartiality after that is just stupid as this is not a perfect world. It has happened across releigons, and even within same religion (originals vs converts, catholics vs protestants, brahmins vs others, shia vs sunni) and will continue to do so.

It's very harshly edited. While I think religion is clearly bollocks, a lot of the editing is solely done with the purpose of making the people in it look stupid. It's a horrible thing to do, really.

Yep, if you're correct then you shouldn't have to take things out of context to prove your point.

Not a patch on taking a book and interpreting it how you want in order to brainwash people.

Maher and Charles both work in comedy, so they're going to make it funny. It's not like Maher claims to be impartial or anything, he's using it to make his point.

Not a patch on taking a book and interpreting it how you want in order to brainwash people.

Bill Maher made a poor film despite the subject matter in my opinion, just because it's not as damaging as thousands of years of organised religion is beside the point.

Not a very good movie, in my opinion. And I am not usually averse to seeing some good old religion bashing. But the key word there is good. His just came off as.. a bit pointless, and not very funny. But then I am not very fond of Maher to begin with, so I am not the target audience.

It made me want to be religious so I could argue with Maher. There are so many clever ways to hold his point of view, and I felt he undermined them.

It's not really a subject that lends itself to the snappy 1 hour docu format in my opinion. It's very hard to explore such a complicated subject in enough depth in that format, and if you start denigrating without properly explaining why, you just seem like a dick who is writing himself all the good lines. My atheism was arrived at organically, as was the case for most people I know, not via any snappy dialogue. Yes religion then seems a bit absurd but you have to be aware of how it is woven into society and culture, in everyday ways as well as the headline evils and fundamentalist loons, so it's not simply a case of there is no God, shut down the churches or you are all retards, which is by far the most 'entertaining' line, and what inevitably someone like Maher will sound like. Implying that if they bulldoze all the mosques and churches war will end. Give it a go and see what happens. Religion is good for mobilising people for a cause, but really theism is rarely what the fight is actually about. Like in Northern Ireland, that wasn't actually about transubstantiation.

I didn't end up as an athiest by listening to people like Maher or Gervais by the way, just sort of happened. I do like seeing religion criticised or even ridiculed though. I had to sit through a christening for my nephew the other week, and the whole thing actually frightened me, especially the part where everyone has to say the so-called Lord's Prayer. I stood there in silence, looking around at all of these people blindly reciting garbage in the same monotone voice, like something from the Wicker Man. I watched 4 innocent children get 'saved' by a man in a dress that talks to a man in the sky on a daily basis, and it made me sick. Like I said earlier in the thread, I respect anyone's right to have their own beliefs, but I refuse to respect those beliefs if they're preposterous. Basically like reading rawk.

It's worth remembering that religion is more pervasive in US culture and directly influences many of the institutions of government to the point that GWB claimed to have consulted a higher power than his father when deciding whether to invade Iraq. I think zealots need to be made to look as stupid as possible because they are dangerous.

It's worth remembering that religion is more pervasive in US culture and directly influences many of the institutions of government to the point that GWB claimed to have consulted a higher power than his father when deciding whether to invade Iraq. I think zealots need to be made to look as stupid as possible because they are dangerous.

Aye, I agree but there needs to be differentiation between zealots and folk going to church for peace of mind. And that doesn't make for snappy documentaries, which is all I'm discussing. To not differentiate breeds intolerance of religious folk, and whether science backed or not it's still intolerance.

On your point, didn't Blair say his alleged war crimes, sorry, actions, would be judged by God. That is some scary shit, you are not wrong.

I didn't end up as an athiest by listening to people like Maher or Gervais by the way, just sort of happened. I do like seeing religion criticised or even ridiculed though. I had to sit through a christening for my nephew the other week, and the whole thing actually frightened me, especially the part where everyone has to say the so-called Lord's Prayer. I stood there in silence, looking around at all of these people blindly reciting garbage in the same monotone voice, like something from the Wicker Man. I watched 4 innocent children get 'saved' by a man in a dress that talks to a man in the sky on a daily basis, and it made me sick. Like I said earlier in the thread, I respect anyone's right to have their own beliefs, but I refuse to respect those beliefs if they're preposterous. Basically like reading rawk.

Yeah, if you place yourself on the outside it is madness, especially the catholic church service. Are you Irish? Some of the iconography we have here in the churches is nothing short of terrifying, or would be in any other context.

Aye, I agree but there needs to be differentiation between zealots and folk going to church for peace of mind. And that doesn't make for snappy documentaries, which is all I'm discussing. To not differentiate breeds intolerance of religious folk, and whether science backed or not it's still intolerance.

On your point, didn't Blair say his alleged war crimes, sorry, actions, would be judged by God. That is some scary shit, you are not wrong.

It's a shame that ordinary, decent religious folk get a bad name from the loonies. Rather than argue with them I prefer to just be respectful and let them be. Generally they do more good in the world than people like me and those who snipe and take the piss. But if one of them wants to have it out then I'll happily do so.

Same, but that said, without them religion would be less empowered and there'd be less support for the zealots. That's the complication.

Yeah, if you place yourself on the outside it is madness, especially the catholic church service. Are you Irish? Some of the iconography we have here in the churches is nothing short of terrifying, or would be in any other context.

Na I was in Newcastle. Protestant church I think. Actually it must have been because the grandmaster was trying to be hip and cool by playing some jesus rock'n'roll.

Na I was in Newcastle. Protestant church I think. Actually it must have been because the grandmaster was trying to be hip and cool by playing some jesus rock'n'roll.

Yeah well that shit is modern dance compared to a rural Irish catholic church, all very Game of Thrones, without any of the good stuff.

I worked on a ship that docked in Rosslare every Sunday. I was just walking about one time and there was a statue of that Mary lass just in the middle of nowhere. It was quite creepy to be honest, just on a hillside with nothing else there. My only experience of Irish religion.

Harris blogging again, responding to recent criticism from Glenn Greenwald.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/islam-and-the-misuses-of-ecstasy

Islam marries religious ecstasy and sectarian hatred in a way that other religions do not. Secular liberals who worry more about “Islamophobia” than about the actual doctrine of Islam are guilty of a failure of empathy. They fail not just with respect to the experience of innocent Muslims who are treated like slaves and criminals by this religion, but with respect to the inner lives of its true believers. Most secular people cannot begin to imagine what a (truly) devout Muslim feels. They are blind to the range of experiences that would cause an otherwise intelligent and psychologically healthy person to say, “I will happily die for this.” Unless you have tasted religious ecstasy, you cannot understand the danger of its being pointed in the wrong direction.

This whole debate about religion is pointless. National Governments have more power, authority, control and have caused millions of deaths and trillions of damage.

It's not entirely pointless, especially when you consider the part religion plays in some governments. Just look at the Middle East and certain parts of America. Even Ireland, where abortion is still illegal.

This whole debate about religion is pointless. National Governments have more power, authority, control and have caused millions of deaths and trillions of damage.

How many of them think they have God on their side?

How many of them think they have God on their side?

It doesnt matter where you get your justification from. If one guy kills for god and another for money - who is worse?

This whole debate is nonsense.

It doesnt matter where you get your justification from. If one guy kills for god and another for money - who is worse?

What, that religion is harmful to today's society?

Are you religious yourself?

Killing for god is literally pointless, so I'd go for that.

Harmful in what sense?

Really?

1. Religious Extremism has killed hundreds of millions of people
  2. Religion is used as a controlling mechanism on the people
  3. It stops society from progressing due to tradition and conservatism
So violence, control, and stagnation. Would be my three main issues with religion. That's not to say some good things haven't come out of religion, but to say that debating whether religion is true or not is very much an appropriate debate.

Really?

1. Religious Extremism has killed hundreds of millions of people
  2. Religion is used as a controlling mechanism on the people
  3. It stops society from progressing due to tradition and conservatism
So violence, control, and stagnation. Would be my three main issues with religion. That's not to say some good things haven't come out of religion, but to say that debating whether religion is true or not is very much an appropriate debate.

I am not justifying or supporting religion but you can add up in the hundreds of millions people killed by governments and people / organisations pursuing self interest.

Laws that benefit private interests and over bearing acts like the patriot acts etc control people.

Now your conflating religion and tradition.

I am not justifying or supporting religion but you can add up in the hundreds of millions people killed by governments and people / organisations pursuing self interest.

Laws that benefit private interests and over bearing acts like the patriot acts etc control people.

Now your conflating religion and tradition.

That's not the point. This is a thread discussing religion. So it's going to come up more then the patriot act does.

That's not the point. This is a thread discussing religion. So it's going to come up more then the patriot act does.

It is as germaine as you saying religion is a form of control. Some people can choose to accept all or part of their religion but as a US cicitizen you have to accept all of the parts of the Patriot Act.

Both are forms of control.