RedCafe's Top 50 Films Of All Time Submission/Discussion Thread

Should I use the template provided to submit my choices?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good list Tom, not sure about nr 14 though. Didn't like the ending.
Yeah, I mean Name Of Film was a good movie but ranked number 2 above Name of Film and Name of Film (which isnt even as good as the sequel Name Of Film: Name of Film strikes back) - dodgy list for me @MajorTom

Hang on, are you serious about having Name of Film ahead of Name of Film? Jesus.
The only part of the list I agree with actually, that and having Name Of Film at 16 are pearls of wisdom. Also nice to see Name Of Film getting a point, so underatted, sadly it didn't make my list though.

What? I have adhered to the strict template rules. The vote stands!
Well done you!

goodjob.jpg

The Mirror (1975) - 1 - 15 Points
The Godfather (1972) - 2 - 14 Points
Chungking Express (1994) - 3 - 13 Points
Ran (1985) - 4 - 12 Points
Apocalypse Now (1979) - 5 - 11 Points
Blade Runner (1982) - 6 - 10 Points
Come and See (1985) - 7 - 9 Points
Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) - 8 - 8 Points
Stalker (1979) - 9 - 7 Points
Metropolis (1927) - 10 - 6 Points
Casablanca (1942) - 11 - 5 Points
Days of Being Wild (1990) - 12 - 4 Points
The Seventh Seal (1957) - 13 - 3 Points
Solyaris (1972) - 14 - 2 Points
Once Upon a Time In America (1984) - 15 - 1 Point
In the Mood for Love (2000) - 16 - 1 Point
Fallen Angels (1995) - 17 - 1 Point
Ivan's Childhood (1962) - 18 - 1 Point
Happy Together (1997) - 19 - 1 Point
My Own Private Idaho (1991) - 20 - 1 Point

Dumb & Dumber (1994) - 1 - 15 Points
The Transporter (2002) - 2 - 14 Points
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - 3 - 13 Points
Blade (1998) - 4 - 12 Points
The Devil's Rejects (2005) - 5 - 11 Points
House of 1000 Corpses (2003) - 6 - 10 Points
Halloween (1978) - 7 - 9 Points
Die Hard (1988) - 8 - 8 Points
Beetlejuice (1988) - 9 - 7 Points
Wrong Turn (2003) - 10 - 6 Points
Shaun Of The Dead (2004) - 11 - 5 Points
Botched (2007) - 12 - 4 Points
Edward Scissorhands (1990) - 13 - 3 Points
Jurassic Park (1993) - 14 - 2 Points
Crank (2006) - 15 - 1 Point
Fight Club (1999) - 16 - 1 Point
Bad Boys (1995) - 17 - 1 Point
Ice Age (2002) - 18 - 1 Point
Gremlins (1984) - 19 - 1 Point
Space Jam (1996) - 20 - 1 Point

Went for films I tend to watch more often or ones I grew up on. Couldn't think of any recent ones that should be in there.

The Usual Suspects (1995) - 1 - 15 Points
12 Angry Men (1957) - 2 - 14 Points
Pulp Fiction (1994) - 3 - 13 Points
Fargo (1996) - 4 - 12 Points
Reservoir Dogs (1992) - 5 - 11 Points
Inglourious Basterds (2009) - 6 - 10 Points
City of God (2002) - 7 - 9 Points
Sin City (2005) - 8 - 8 Points
American History X (1998) - 9 - 7 Points
Die Hard (1988) - 10 - 6 Points
Forrest Gump (1994) - 11 - 5 Points
Do the Right Thing (1989) - 12 - 4 Points
Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 13 - 3 Points
A Clockwork Orange (1971) - 14 - 2 Points
Blood Diamond (2006) - 15 - 1 Point
Oldboy (2003) - 16 - 1 Point
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) - 17 - 1 Point
Misery (1990) - 18 - 1 Point
Speed (1994) - 19 - 1 Point
The Fugitive (1993) - 20 - 1 Point

Last edited:
The Lord of the Rings : The Return of the King (2003) - 1 - 15 Points
Pulp Fiction (1994) - 2 - 14 Points
Goodfellas (1990) - 3 - 13 Points
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 4 - 12 Points
The Godfather (1972) - 5 - 11 Points
The Lord of the Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - 6 - 10 Points
The Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers (2002) - 7 - 9 Points
Fight Club (1994) - 8 - 8 Points
The Prestige (2006) - 9 - 7 Points
The Dark Knight (2008) - 10 - 6 Points
The Pianist (2002) - 11 - 5 Points
Star Wars : Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - 12 - 4 Points
The Departed (2006) - 13 - 3 Points
Forrest Gump (1994) - 14 - 2 Points
Gladiator (2000) - 15 - 1 Point
The Green Mile (1999) - 16 - 1 Point
Full Metal Jacket (1987) - 17 - 1 Point
The Intouchables (2011) - 18 - 1 Point
Snatch (2000) - 19 - 1 Point
Gravity (2013) - 20 - 1 Point

When we're done we should start our own film club and watch the final 50 films one by one. Even the shit ones.

Some hangover thoughts...

1. The Mirror

LedtAF2.png

It's very hard to explain. It's a film about everything. It's kinda what Terrence Malick wanted to achieve with The Tree of Life, a metaphysical childhood epic, but this ones more cohesive and not as flashy. A dying man's memories, unconsecutive, like in a dream. Oneiric was Andrei Tarkovsky's middle name.

2. The Godfather

idfGdgb.jpg

Perfection. Everyone knows it. The best cast ever and etc.

3. Chungking Express

gOQd1dy.jpg

When Quentin Tarantino first saw this film he cried. He cried not because the movie was sad, he said, but because "I'm just so happy to love a movie this much.” I can totally relate to that. It's such a joyous film, full of city life, full of cinema, full of melancholy, full of feel-goodness, full of music, full of quotes. This is why I love this medium so much.

4. Ran

eg1dSxo.png

Kurosawa's final grand nihilistic epic. It's King Lear but also based on similar Japanese legends. So much effort went into it, Kurosawa spent 10 years storyboarding it with paintings, the amount of extras and horses made up an actual army with all the armor sets being hand made. Kurosawa was also going blind at the time, which he incorporated into the film and his wife died in the middle of the filming but he only halted the filming for one day to mourn.

5. Apocalypse Now

nJbD3UM.jpg

It's one of those I always have on by favourite movies ever lists but it's actually been a long time since I saw it in it's entirety. It was one of the first films I saw that really got me interested in films.

6. Blade Runner

pEXwIXB.jpg

The benchmark for both utopian science fiction and neo-noir. Perhaps the greatest soundtrack ever and one of the few films with a lingering 80's feel to it that remains timeless.

7. Come and See

YbZS085.jpg

You haven't truly seen a war film until you've seen Come and See, it makes other war films seem light and tame. I still remember the first and only time I saw it very vividly, I was so into it that I forgot to close the door to my balcony so my feet were freezing but I was just totally spellbound. It's not often films leave such an impression on me that I'm left speechless and having to soak it in for long a while.

8. Aguirre, the Wrath of God

GL1pksT.jpg

Conquistadors, Amazon river, the illusive El Dorado, Heart of Darkness...How far into the abyss is man willing to go for glory and a place in history? Kinski is magnetic in the title role, the small menacing stares, I mean, I could watch a film consisting entirely of him staring at the horizon with those piercing blue eyes. The soundtrack by Popul Vuh brings a lot to the table, very hypnotic ambient tunes. The making of the movie was almost as strenous, with rafts getting swept away, Kinski and Herzog being at each others throats with the famous anecdote of Herzog saying he would shoot Kinski and then himself if he didn't obey him.

9. Stalker

Uvzsmkl.jpg

Few films have put me under a spell quite like this film, very hypnotic soundtrack. Filmed around Chernobyl-esque wastelands, it's believed that many people, including Tarkovsky developed cancer from shooting the film.

10. Metropolis

GoPAviq.jpg

Made in 19 fecking 27 yet still stands spectacular even today. It's like a time machine Avatar, but not just purely visual. Totally timeless.

11. Casablanca

63FE4iA.jpg

I like watching Casablanca with people who've never seen it before, just to see the suprise in their eyes of how much they enjoy it. One of the most quotable films ever, the average minutes between famous quote can't be that many.

12. Days of Being Wild

Zm0g0Dm.png

When I first saw it didn't leave much of an impression on me, but after having gained some additional living experience I watched it again one hot summer evening in my cramped room, and that's when it really clicked for me. Everyone in the film deals with rejection in some kind. So overwhelmingly melancholic, romantic and nostalgic. The seducing latin music, the anxious green tones, it's almost like they were inside of a Edward Hopper painting filming it, and indeed it's a film I want to live inside.

13. The Seventh Seal

xnDzVsf.jpg

Who would have thought that Ingmar Bergman's most famous film about death would also be one of his most humourus ones, with a lot dry wit. The imagery of Medieval Sweden is just sensational, beautiful cinematography. Great performance by Nils Poppe, who was mostly known as a song and dance man in Sweden.

14. Solyaris

bo5YLNG.png

In a film about contact with intelligent life on a space station on a distant planet, not many directors would turn back the camera and fixate on Earth. Andrey Tarkovsky, man. He himself considered this to be his least favourite films of his, as he regretted some of the sci-fi touches that made some segments seem dated very fast, like the car ride through Tokyo which might have seen a bit futuristic in 1972 but is now just a big dull sore thumb in the film. The rest of the films makes up for that though.

15. In the Mood for Love

cGxLjdW.jpg

Beautiful, voyeuristic, overwhelmingly powerful unrequited love.

16. Fallen Angels

oDTGffq.png

The main part was originally meant to be a part of Chungking Express, to kinda show the darker side of the Hong Kong coin. It has Wong Kar Wai's typical humour, a John Woo film thrown in, a stylishly shot city/night/dreamscape. The characters spend most of the film convincing themselves that they aren't lonely. Wong Kar-Wai's films are always best watched after midnight for some reason, this one more so than any other. We only get to see daylight once, the very last seconds.

17. Once Upon a Time in America

MsRIxEq.jpg

Sergio Leone's direction, Ennio Morricone's score, the scope and the themes of friendship really struck a chord with me during the 4 hours, maybe I should watch the extended version soon.

18. Ivan's Childhood

lkOVXyn.jpg

As the film opens we see Ivan wandering around happily in nature, innocent, only for us to see him later ravaged by war, with flashbacks to some moments with his family. I couldn't help but be affected by the fact that Ivan's looks just like I did as a child. The ending for me is one of the most transcending ones ever, death in it's beautiful bittersweet glory.

19. Happy Together

MZ0l3cG.jpg

Often when films are described as "raw and evocative", it's just a nice way to put it that they actually are quite unfocused and meandering, the same could be said for this one, except it's always focused. A recent film it sort of could be compared with but not much is Blue is the Warmest Colour, but it's much better and is directed by a great director. The two main characters just happen to be gay and there's never a big deal made about it, they're just two lonely people living together in a country far from home, drifting away from each other. Wong Kar-Wai's earlier melancholic meanderings always had a playful quirkiness to them but this ones played straight, showing the cityscape of Buenos Aires in it's beautiful desolation set to melancholic tango music.

20. My Own Private Idaho

0nHAdQr.png

An improved version of Rebel Without A Cause for the 90's with River Phoenix being an improved version of James Dean. It really evokes the drifting, the aimlessness and the heartbreaks. The Shakespearean parts doesn't really work as well as the other ones but is kind of an rock and roll addition. Even Keanu Reeves is decent in it! It's not as polished as some of the films I picked it ahead of but it's endearing.

Last edited:
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - 1 - 15 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 2 - 14 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 3 - 13 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 4 - 12 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 5 - 11 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 6 - 10 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 7 - 9 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 8 - 8 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 9 - 7 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 10 - 6 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 11 - 5 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 12 - 4 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 13 - 3 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 14 - 2 Points
Name of Film (Year) - 15 - 1 Point
Name of Film (Year) - 16 - 1 Point
Name of Film (Year) - 17 - 1 Point
Name of Film (Year) - 18 - 1 Point
Name of Film (Year) - 19 - 1 Point
Name of Film (Year) - 20 - 1 Point

I'll come back to the rest at some point

Last edited:
I hope I provided some advertisement with the pretty pictures and words.
I fecking hate you. Now I question half of the films in my list and the order of the remaining ones :mad:.

It's an excellent list and it has quite a few of my all time favorites in it, that slightly missed out in my top 20.

I fecking hate you. Now I question half of the films in my list and the order of the remaining ones :mad:.

It's an excellent list and it has quite a few of my all time favorites in it, that slightly missed out in my top 20.
I am pretty sure I forgot plenty when I made the list, just put the ones that came to my mind then. The order is pretty insignificant as well, I'd enjoy each and every one of those 20 equally every time I watch them.

I am pretty sure I forgot plenty when I made the list, just put the ones that came to my mind then. The order is pretty insignificant as well, I'd enjoy each and every one of those 20 equally every time I watch them.
Yeah, I wasn't too serious ;). I won't change my list, but while reading what he wrote about some of the films, I started to think that he's right and that they deserve to be in my top 20. I had to make a few tough choices, for example 'The Lives of Others' instead of 'Aguirre' as my second German film. But it was much easier, before he posted that picture of Kinski and talked about him. Excluding 'The Seventh Seal' also looks like a crime right now. I probably write a similar post about my list during the day and feel better about my list afterwards.

'kin hell, we only have until Friday! It's impossible, and there's a few I would like to finally watch (Aguirre and Stalker are two from Nilsson's list, and there are loads of others) before compiling the list. Don't think I'll have the opportunity this week either. We'll see.

Surprised that there was no Malick on your list Nilsson!

A tougher exercise than I imagined.

Forrest Gump (1994) - 1 - 15 Points
The Godfather (1972) - 2 - 14 points
8 1/2 (1963) - 3 - 13 Points
Casablanca (1942) - 4 - 12 Points
Citizen Kane (1941) - 5 - 11 Points
Raging Bull (1980) - 6 - 10 Points
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - 7 - 9 Points
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 8 - 8 Points
The Usual Suspects (1995) - 9 - 7 Points
Jerry Maguire(1996) - 10 - 6 Points
Pulp Fiction (1994) - 11 - 5 Points
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975) - 12 - 4 Points
This is Spinal Tap (1984) - 13 - 3 Points
Dazed and Confused (1993) - 14 - 2 Points
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) - 15 - 1 Point
Easy Rider (1971) - 16 - 1 Point
Trainspotting (1996) - 17 - 1 Point
Snatch (2000) - 18 - 1 Point
Hoosiers (1986) - 19 - 1 Point
A Beautiful Mind (2001) - 20 - 1 Point

Could have easily fitted - A few good men, Schindler's list, Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels, A field of Dreams, Goodfellas, Fight Club, Godfather II, Vertigo, The Shining, Taxi Driver, Out of Sight, Gladiator, City of God, Se7en, Saving Private Ryan, The pianist, Memento, Annie Hall, A Clockwork Orange etc. etc.

Last edited:
Seen 3 of RN's films. Yay!

I'll be changing my list later. I forgot about Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now.

Yeah, I wasn't too serious ;). I won't change my list, but while reading what he wrote about some of the films, I started to think that he's right and that they deserve to be in my top 20. I had to make a few tough choices, for example 'The Lives of Others' instead of 'Aguirre' as my second German film. But it was much easier, before he posted that picture of Kinski and talked about him. Excluding 'The Seventh Seal' also looks like a crime right now. I probably write a similar post about my list during the day and feel better about my list afterwards.
Absolutely, there are easily more than 20 movies that I love, enjoy and admire dearly. A lot more. So I am not too bothered which one have been left out because any list of 20 names I can come up with would have the same problem.

:p

'kin hell, we only have until Friday! It's impossible, and there's a few I would like to finally watch (Aguirre and Stalker are two from Nilsson's list, and there are loads of others) before compiling the list. Don't think I'll have the opportunity this week either. We'll see.

Surprised that there was no Malick on your list Nilsson!
Yeah, what's the deal, it's much shorter time than the other polls and films are something you can consume easier than series or games.

Days of Heaven would probabaly be in a top 100 but I think almost every one of his films has flaws that stops them from being really great.

Yeah, what's the deal, it's much shorter time than the other polls and films are something you can consume easier than series or games.

Days of Heaven would probabaly be in a top 100 but I think almost every one of his films has flaws that stops them from being really great.
Can't disagree, and I actually thought his last two were the most flawed of all. Days of Heaven isn't my favourite though I should really re-watch it along with Badlands to make my mind up. Thin Red Line and Lost World are my favourite.

Actually, I have a long weekend beginning on Wednesday evening, so maybe I can try to watch a few Thursday and Friday before doing the list. It's still going to be torture, dunno how you managed to thin it down to 20 films, I kept reading lists and thinking 'ah yeah I'll have to include that, I would've forgotten it!' :lol: