RedCafe's Top 50 Films Of All Time Submission/Discussion Thread

Should I use the template provided to submit my choices?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah you better run!

:D In my defence, it's not that I didnt like it. I was having a Godfather weekend with the missus a couple of years ago seeing as I'd only seen the first one and I'd recorded part two on Film 4. We were due to watch it on the Saturday, for some reason they had cut out a section (or maybe it was a recording feck up) during when the seante comittee are investigating the Corleone family and resumed at the part when the wife tells Michael she had an abortion, the cut part was sandwiched in between two ad breaks so I was skipping past them and unaware of the feck up and watched the rest of it quite confused and with a nagging feeling something wasn't right, so we had to rewind back to where the confusion started and figure out what happened. Once we saw what happened we had to find out what the hell happened from wikipedia. That spoiled it somewhat and I still haven't watched it again as that still annoys me to this day and I want to watch it again with a clear mind and not just waiting for that part that was cut out.

It also meant we didn't watch the third one on the Sunday though which seems to be a bonus judging by opinions on it :lol:

Differing opinions on the deadline. Reckon we extend it myself to maybe Wednesday next week? There's always late comers to these things.

I love a Departed/Internal Affairs rant from Mockney.

This thread reminds me of an Akira Kurosawa film, I can't remember the name but it was about this guy who had cancer, yet built a park for kids. Very depressing and captivating.

Gladiator - 1 - 15 Points
Memento - 2 - 14 Points
Blood Diamond - 3 - 13 Points
Batman Dark Knight - 4 - 12 Points
City of God - 5 - 11 Points
The Matrix - 6 - 10 Points
Snatch - 7 - 9 Points
Goldeneye - 8 - 8 Points
Battle Royal - 9 - 7 Points
Inbetweeners Film - 10 - 6 Points
Superbad - 11 - 5 Points
Sin City - 12 - 4 Points
300 - 13 - 3 Points
Wolf of Wall Street- 14 - 2 Points
Spirited Away- 15 - 1 Point
Django Unchained - 16 - 1 Point
Aladdin - 17 - 1 Point
Braveheart - 18 - 1 Point
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back - 19 - 1 Point
Lord of the Rings Return of the King - 20 - 1 Point

Hard list to make that. Probably every time I write that list it would be different every time. Now I think about it, Goldeneye is way too high up and Star Wars to low. Several recent films I really enjoyed but didn't want to put too many films that came out within the last few years.

Talking from a selfish point of view here, but a few more days would be great. I've been swamped at work and elsewhere and haven't had the opportunity to watch a few films I really should before doing the list, so having the whole weekend at the very least would be great. Nilsson, be my advisor here, what absolute classics should I see before compiling it? I'm thinking:
- Aguirre
- Stalker
- re watching Badlands and Days of heaven
- Vertigo
- Come & see

?

Also, has there been much love for Citizen Kane in here? Has Nosferatu been mentioned?
That's a good bunch, start with Aguirre.

I've seen Kane mentioned two or three times, it's decent, but far from a favourite of mine. I'm a big fan of Herzog's Nosferatu, but I wouldn't rate it that high.

Differing opinions on the deadline. Reckon we extend it myself to maybe Wednesday next week? There's always late comers to these things.
Do so!

I've seen Kane mentioned two or three times, it's decent, but far from a favourite of mine. I'm a big fan of Herzog's Nosferatu, but I wouldn't rate it that high.
Surely he's talking about the original one? As great as Kinski was in that role, it never felt as scary and intimidating as Max Schreck's performance in 1922. And Herzog basically copied every take from the original. It's a great remake, but it was always meant as a homage and is far from Herzog's and Kinski's best work.

I was talking of Murnau's! As Balu said, if only for Schreck's performance.

Surely he's talking about the original one? As great as Kinski was in that role, it never felt as scary and intimidating as Max Schreck's performance in 1922. And Herzog basically copied every take from the original. It's a great remake, but it was always meant as a homage and is far from Herzog's and Kinski's best work.
I knew that, but seeing as Aguirre was mentioned and all. I watched Murnau's version straight after that one so they kinda feel morphed together in my mind. Schreck really gave off the impression that he was a vampire. Willem Dafoe did a great job potraying him as a vampire in the otherwise pretty average Shadow of the Vampire.

I knew that, but seeing as Aguirre was mentioned and all. I watched Murnau's version straight after that one so they kinda feel morphed together in my mind. Schreck really gave off the impression that he was a vampire. Willem Dafoe did a great job potraying him as a vampire in the otherwise pretty average Shadow of the Vampire.
You didn't know that, you're too thick to even know there were any films before your birth date!

No he plays for Galatasaray

1. The Silence (1998)
2. Last Tango in Paris (1972)
3. The Idiots (1998)
4. Come and See (1985)
5. Kandahar (2001)
6. Hukkle (2002)
7. Gummo (1997)
8. Blue Velvet (1986)
9. The Son (2002)
10. Amour (2012)
11. City of God (2002)
12. Through the Olive Trees (1994)
13. Elephant (2003)
14. Reprise (2006)
15. Short Cuts (1993)
16. Blackboards (2000)
17. Magnolia (1999)
18. Trainspotting (1996)
19. Pulp Fiction (1994)
20. Husbands and Wives (1992)

Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street.gif

When do submissions for this close?

Just rushed to complete my place holder on post 117 i think......in time for deadline....for there to be a new deadline. Not editing! It's final! !!!!! !!!

Is it just me or has there been a suprisingly few number of Kubrick films submitted. I would have had Barry Lyndon on a longer list. Come at me haters!

No Kitano films so far :(