RedCafe's Top 50 Films Of All Time Submission/Discussion Thread

Should I use the template provided to submit my choices?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I get 21 results when I search for 'City of God' in this thread, so it should be in enough lists to make it easily into the top 50. It's not the greatest foreign film of all time though ;).

I am probably so wrong (as you've just proved) but I was flying through it in work! Bloody managers!! He's actually given out about my use of the cafe, how dare he!!

Anyways, if City of God isn't the best Foreign movie of all time..... I'd bloody well like to know what is? Betty Blue? :lol:

I thought City of God was the best foreign film for a while until I watched more foreign films.

All this thread does is repeatedly tell me that I haven't seen Godfather yet :(

In the mood for love - 1- 15 points
Dial M for Murder- 2- 14 points
Silence of the lambs- 3- 13 points
Star Wars- The Empire strikes back- 4- 12 points
Annie Hall- 5- 11 points
Blade runner - 6- 10 points
No country for old men - 7- 9 points
Shutter Island - 8- 8 points
The Conversation - 9 - 7 points
The Matrix - 10- 6 points
Inception - 11- 5 points
Memento - 12- 4 points
The Usual Suspects - 13- 3 points
Star Wars-A new hope - 14- 2 points
V for Vendetta - 15- 1 point
Infernal Affairs- 16- 1 point
Manhattan - 17- 1 point
The great dictator - 18- 1 point
Dead poets society - 19- 1 point
Inglorious Basterds - 20- 1 point
Better sort out that soon!

You've seen In the Mood for Love though, that's something!

I am probably so wrong (as you've just proved) but I was flying through it in work! Bloody managers!! He's actually given out about my use of the cafe, how dare he!!

Anyways, if City of God isn't the best Foreign movie of all time..... I'd bloody well like to know what is? Betty Blue? :lol:
Fun fact, it's in Rooney in Paris' top 5.

Hope I'm not too late for my movie list??

Here we go!

Goodfellas (1990) - 1 - 15 Points
Pulp Fiction (1994) - 2 - 14 Points
12 Angry Men (1957) - 3 - 13 Points
The Pianist (2002) - 4 - 12 Points
Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 5 - 11 Points
Forrest Gump (1994) - 6 - 10 Points
Schindlers List (1993) - 7 - 9 Points
The Godfather (1972) - 8 - 8 Points
Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - 9 - 7 Points
Fight Club (1999) - 10 - 6 Points
The Dark Knight (2008) - 11 - 5 Points
The Silence Of The Lambs (1991) - 12 - 4 Points
Bravehart (1995) - 13 - 3 Points
Good Will Hunting (1997) - 14 - 2 Points
American History X (1998) - 15 - 1 Point
Saving Private Ryan (1998) - 16 - 1 Point
Se7en (1995) - 17 - 1 Point
Stand By Me (1986) - 18 - 1 Point
City Of God (2002) - 19 - 1 Point
End Of Watch (2012) - 20 - 1 Point -------------- I put this in because most probably haven't heard of it and I'd highly recommend it folks! Not a fan of Jake Gyllenhall by any means but he is fantastic here, love the camera work and its as real as real gets for LA Cops! Hard hitting stuff!!

That was seriously tough going!! My head hurts! :wenger::wenger:

Kills me to leave off some absolute classics like 12 Years a slave, Full metal jacket, Misery, Milk, Rain Man, The Social Network, Saw, T2, A Beautiful Mind, Die Hard, Toy Story, LOTR - Fellowship Of The Ring, Green Mile, Kick Ass and Avatar!

Right my list, I'll let duffer sort out the formating.

200_s.gif

200_s.gif

200_s.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_lmu894rxom1qbar4bo1_500.gif

820786803.gif

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

giphy.gif

Nosferatu_(1).gif

giphy.gif

se7en-o.gif

tumblr_l9ng0bRuXy1qzdi5eo1_400.gif

oldboy-o.gif

giphy.gif

city-of-god-o.gif

Robert-Capa-Gif-cillian-murphy-as-robert-capa-in-sunshine-20098884-500-210.gif

tumblr_lt4uefKzzC1qafcveo1_500.gif

the-silence-of-the-lambs-o.gif

giphy.gif

In that order.

Cheers duffy!

Hoping Duffy hasn't had a brain aneurysm seeing my first list. Here's the one following the real template:

Apocalypse Now (1979) - 1 - 15 Points
The Godfather Part II (1974) - 2 - 14 Points
The Thin Red Line (1998) - 3 - 13 Points
The Goodfellas (1990) - 4 - 12 Points
The Lion King (1994) - 5 - 11 Points
The Godfather (1972) - 6 - 10 Points
Jurassic Park (1993) - 7 - 9 Points
Citizen Kane (1941) - 8 - 8 Points
Seven Samurai (1954) - 9 - 7 Points
Nosferatu (1922) - 10 - 6 Points
12 Angry Men (1957) - 11 - 5 Points
Se7en (1995) - 12 - 4 Points
The New World (2005) - 13 - 3 Points
Oldboy (2003) - 14 - 2 Points
Casablanca (1942) - 15 - 1 Point
City of God (2002) - 16 - 1 Point
Sunshine (2007) - 17 - 1 Point
Zodiac (2007) - 18 - 1 Point
Silence of the Lambs (1991) - 19 - 1 Point
Pulp Fiction (1994) - 20 - 1 Point

I've not seen the film for years, the only thing I can recall is that it had potential to be a good film but was let down in the final third. Why do you rate it so highly then?
Yeah I referred to the final third cos most people's criticism is aimed at that part, when Pinbacker (the character played by Mark Strong) comes into play. People say it becomes just a random slasher.

I don't agree with that. I think the whole beginning to the film is superb, there's not one thing I dislike about it and I feel it's one of the very best sci-fi films in its own right. However, I feel the direction it takes towards the end of the film elevates it even more, as it questions the place of man in the universe, addresses the point of science vs. religion/nature, etc.

It's a film I'm really fond of and that fascinated me for a long time, I know a lot of people dislike it for the end, but that's what, for me, makes it even better.

@Rooney in Paris is a Part II man!?!

My life is a lie.
To be fair, I'd say Part I is about as good as The Room.

In all seriousness though, I love both and there's very little between them. I really really like John Cazale though and there's a bit more of the Freddo/Michael relationship in Part II.

I seem to remember a film with Brando and Depp where Depp was a native American and Brando paid him to kill him or something, and the film followed Depp's last days.

I think it's the most depressing film I've ever seen.

I seem to remember a film with Brando and Depp where Depp was a native American and Brando paid him to kill him or something, and the film followed Depp's last days.

I think it's the most depressing film I've ever seen.
The Brave. Johnny Depp's only work as a director. I'm still surprised that he never directed again, thought he did a good job for his first film.

The Brave. Johnny Depp's only work as a director. I'm still surprised that he never directed again, thought he did a good job for his first film.
Yeah that's it, been reading about it since I posted.

My recollection of it is that it wasn't a great film, without being shite. Very slow and at times a bit boring.

Can I still submit? Answer carefully Duffy.
I would like to see your list.

I had a friend who was incredulous a girl didn't know who Jack Nicholson was and explained to her "he's the guy from Anger Management". And she knew exactly who he meant.
I have a friend's who's dad both looks like and acts like Jack Nicholson, I haven't seen the film but he's probably his character in Terms of Endearment. My friend didn't know who he was until I mentioned The Departed *shudders*

Will be gathering up all the votes this evening so should hopefully be ready for the countdown over the weekend!