RedCafe's Top 50 Films Of All Time Submission/Discussion Thread

Should I use the template provided to submit my choices?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know you don't take more additions, but figured I'd make my own list for fun.
(Only included movies i have seen)

American History X (1998) - 1 - 15 Points
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 2 - 14 Points
The Godfather (1972) - 3 - 13 Points
Good Will Hunting (1997) - 4 - 12 Points
Big Fish (2003) - 5 - 11 Points
Fight Club (1999) - 6 - 10 Points
The Green Mile (1999) - 7 - 9 Points
Gladiator (2000) - 8 - 8 Points
Gran Torino (2008) - 9 - 7 Points
Master and Commander (2003) - 10 - 6 Points
Shutter Island (2010) - 11 - 5 Points
Forrest Gump (1994) - 12 - 4 Points
The Untouchables (2011) - 13 - 3 Points
Meet Joe Black (1998) - 14 - 2 Points
The Terminal (2004) - 15 - 1 Point
Braveheart (1995) - 16 - 1 Point
Inception (2010) - 17 - 1 Point
City of Angels (1998) - 18 - 1 Point
Memento (2000) - 19 - 1 Point
Batman: The Dark Knight (2008) - 20 - 1 Point

I know you don't take more additions, but figured I'd make my own list for fun.
(Only included movies i have seen)

American History X (1998) - 1 - 15 Points
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - 2 - 14 Points
The Godfather (1972) - 3 - 13 Points
Good Will Hunting (1997) - 4 - 12 Points
Big Fish (2003) - 5 - 11 Points
Fight Club (1999) - 6 - 10 Points
The Green Mile (1999) - 7 - 9 Points
Gladiator (2000) - 8 - 8 Points
Gran Torino (2008) - 9 - 7 Points
Master and Commander (2003) - 10 - 6 Points
Shutter Island (2010) - 11 - 5 Points
Forrest Gump (1994) - 12 - 4 Points
The Untouchables (2011) - 13 - 3 Points
Meet Joe Black (1998) - 14 - 2 Points
The Terminal (2004) - 15 - 1 Point
Braveheart (1995) - 16 - 1 Point
Inception (2010) - 17 - 1 Point
City of Angels (1998) - 18 - 1 Point
Memento (2000) - 19 - 1 Point
Batman: The Dark Knight (2008) - 20 - 1 Point
You've snuck in...adding up all votes now.

300 is a fantastic film, but its not one of those films you say to someone "you need to see this before you die". Its just entertainment, and it succeeds.

This thread has made me realized I've missed out on so many good films.

Anyone who has 300 on their list should have Entertainment Forum access removed.
I agree. The list isnt a fav film list. It's a list of films that are relevant in the history of film or so I thought.

I agree. The list isnt a fav film list. It's a list of films that are relevant in the history of film or so I thought.
Nah I think everyone should be allowed to do their lists as they want, I mean we can make fun of them but ultimately it doesn't really matter. The criteria is "- Take into account both your personal preferences in addition to what you consider the best in terms of quality when deciding on your top 20." but when you start talking about 'quality', it's always very subjective and you're in for an endless debate.

Nah I think everyone should be allowed to do their lists as they want, I mean we can make fun of them but ultimately it doesn't really matter. The criteria is "- Take into account both your personal preferences in addition to what you consider the best in terms of quality when deciding on your top 20." but when you start talking about 'quality', it's always very subjective and you're in for an endless debate.

To be fair, there are some awful awful lists, not everyone has watched 1000000s of films to be able to draw up a 'greatest movies of all time' list. Perhaps we could retitle it 'Redcafe's favourite films'. Or something.

Well that goes without saying, though it's the same with albums, video games and any other we do. Of course it's just the Caf's preferences, but in any case lists are a bit daft if you take them as absolute truth. They're great to discover new stuff and realize there's some films/albums/games/books you didn't know about though.

Up to films beginning with "The" in the sorting of the lists so not far off.

I actually interpreted it as a favorite films list. Obviously The Godfather or Casablanca would be on there and White Men Can't Jump wouldn't. But if 300 is on anyone's favorite films list...
it'll be #15, like its brilliant TV counterpart.

I actually interpreted it as a favorite films list. Obviously The Godfather or Casablanca would be on there and White Men Can't Jump wouldn't. But if 300 is on anyone's favorite films list...
Stop being such a snobby cnut.

Well that goes without saying, though it's the same with albums, video games and any other we do. Of course it's just the Caf's preferences, but in any case lists are a bit daft if you take them as absolute truth. They're great to discover new stuff and realize there's some films/albums/games/books you didn't know about though.
This list is gonna be considerably poorer than the TV and video game lists, room for improvement.

How come Toy Story 2 didn't get a look in? Is it just generally not rated as well as the first one, or is it just that people wanted to put in a TS film and just naturally went for the first?

This list is gonna be considerably poorer than the TV and video game lists, room for improvement.
Yep, but then again I'd say it's easier to have 'good' general knowledge on video games and TV series since they're relatively young media, which isn't the case of cinema. You have over a century of films to sift through, and if you're not especially passionate about it, it's easy to have missed loads of the so called classics!

Yep, but then again I'd say it's easier to have 'good' general knowledge on video games and TV series since they're relatively young media, which isn't the case of cinema. You have over a century of films to sift through, and if you're not especially passionate about it, it's easy to have missed loads of the so called classics!
Most def.

I like the first Toy Story the most but there's so many better animated films.

I have a soft spot for Toy Story 3 myself, but I think the theme of it and nostalgia played a big part.

I remember being absolutely blown away by the quality of Toy Story 1 when I first saw it at the pictures, as a kid.

So I guess there is a particular minimum number of movies you need to have watched to be qualified as a 'film critic' on here? I usually watch around 5-10 movies per year including new releases, not sure if it's high enough.

Why does Toy Story warrant a mention in the Top 50 ? First full length CGI ? Pixar ? I just don't get all the fanatical hype around it, especially since the third one came along. It's a good trilogy and all, good technological innovations involved fairplay, but hardly a classic.

If there needs to be a mandatory animated movie, Studio Ghibli is light years ahead in terms of artistic beauty, storytelling, conceptualisation and poignancy that it warrants a rethink for the Disney enamoured masses. Hotaru No Haka, Spirited Away, Mononoke Hime, Howl's Moving Castle are all several notches above the Toy Story franchise.

Even some other Disney/ Pixar/ WB productions - Lion King or The Iron Giant have got Toy story beat.

Why does Toy Story warrant a mention in the Top 50 ? First full length CGI ? Pixar ? I just don't get all the fanatical hype around it, especially since the third one came along. It's a good trilogy and all, good technological innovations involved fairplay, but hardly a classic.

If there needs to be a mandatory animated movie, Studio Ghibli is light years ahead in terms of artistic beauty, storytelling, conceptualisation and poignancy that it warrants a rethink for the Disney enamoured masses. Hotaru No Haka, Spirited Away, Mononoke Hime, Howl's Moving Castle are all several notches above the Toy Story franchise.

Even some other Disney/ Pixar/ WB productions - Lion King or The Iron Giant have got Toy story beat.

It's because the average person doesn't have as deep an interest or knowledge of films that you probably do. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke etc. may be pretty well known but still, relatively speaking, not many people will have watched them. It's as simple as that really.

It's because the average person doesn't have as deep an interest or knowledge of films that you probably do. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke etc. may be pretty well known but still, relatively speaking, not many people will have watched them. It's as simple as that really.

Ah fair enough if you put it that away mate. But still I'm far removed from being a film or animation aficionado and even to my amateur eye those are some way ahead in terms of surreal entertainment and visual spectacle. That said I don't intend to diss anyone's opinion. If XYZ enjoyed Toy Story more or haven't watched those other movies, fair play to them.

Toy Story(and Ratatouille) > Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away......actually almost all anime.