Television RedCafe's Favourite TV Shows Of All Time Contest (THE RESULTS)

Parma Dewol

The West Wing and Only Fools and Horses not on the list. My faith in fellow United supporters has been shaken.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I found The Wire to be a mixed experience:

Season 1 was quite good, S2 I hated, S3&4 were top quality and S5 was decent.

Breaking Bad on the other hand maintained excellent throughout.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Should I watch Sopranos? Keep in mind that I find pretty much anything that has to do with Italian-American mafia men to be dull, uncool and unsexy. Including Scorsese's stuff (sorry @Sweet Square ). I'd also have to watch it alone. I tried to watch 1 or 2 episodes with the missus a few years back and she hated it. I wasn't very invested either but I reckon it gets better once the story gets going.

Moby

Dick
I found The Wire to be a mixed experience:

Season 1 was quite good, S2 I hated, S3&4 were top quality and S5 was decent.

Breaking Bad on the other hand maintained excellent throughout.
S2 threw me off initially because it takes you through a separate storyline but on subsequent watches I absolutely loved it. 1,3 and 4 are undisputed. But the point about the last is true and Breaking Bad is one of the greatest final arcs of any show and just those last 4-5 episodes are just unreal.

I've repeated both more times I can remember and it's pretty hard to compare them. They are massively far apart in what they intend to be but ultimately most people are impacted more by The Wire simply because of the topics it touches while maintaining am extraordinary level throughout. Like even the last season only loses out to the previous seasons but is still easily a top tier watch compared to most other shows. I don't know of another show that made me feel a part of everything that was happening like that.

I don't use my laptop much anymore but till the time I did for a good few years there was always a tab with the streaming site open and The Wire playing on loop just every single day. :lol:

AaronRedDevil

Should I watch Sopranos? Keep in mind that I find pretty much anything that has to do with Italian-American mafia men to be dull, uncool and unsexy. Including Scorsese's stuff (sorry @Sweet Square ). I'd also have to watch it alone. I tried to watch 1 or 2 episodes with the missus a few years back and she hated it. I wasn't very invested either but I reckon it gets better once the story gets going.
Yes. James who plays Tony Soprano is just masterful. He’s a psycho man child and a complete pos. But dammit he’s never not entertaining. He’s worth to watch it alone. His family are annoying but it’s all about him. Each season gets better.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Yes. James who plays Tony Soprano is just masterful. He’s a psycho man child and a complete pos. But dammit he’s never not entertaining. He’s worth to watch it alone. His family are annoying but it’s all about him. Each season gets better.
Switch out James with Bryan Cranston and Tony Soprano with Walter White and remove "man child" and that's Breaking Bad in a nutshell.

So that's me convinced!

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It is unlike some or actually most mafia shows/films in that it has nearly no elements of glorification in it. Therefore it doesn't portray the mob as this all powerful phenomenon that can't be fought (as it once was), but portrays it as a way of life slowly fading and dying. Revealing its own values as mere self protective claims. The mob is in crisis. It possesses no sex appeal or charme at all. And while the mob is in crisis, so is America. People are insecure of their place in the new world. They are in constant fear in the aftermath of 9/11. To them, the mob has mostly stopped being a relevant form of danger and has become a source of entertainment. An escape from reality, even though it is reality itself. They are voyeuristic and cheering for its survival.
Right in this climate we meet Tony fecking Soprano. Charme, anger, humour and depression crammed into a single person. A force of nature incapable of healing itself. Like the mob itself a wounded animal fighting for survival.
We are confronted with immense guilt and the many people who have become guilty. We see the lines blur between victim and perpetrator. We fall in love with complicated people. Often for the wrong reasons. We hate others. Sometimes for the wrong reasons.
The characters are deep and complicated. They reveal new layers of their personality to us all the time. They develop. They surprise, disappoint and wow us. All this is accompanied by beautiful music, incredible acting and overall top quality direction. It's a masterpiece of mind and craft.

Nickosaur

Sopranos at number 2 and Twin Peaks in the top 10. I'll take that from you uncultured troglodytes.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
@HTG
Cheers! It's top on my list now. I'm gonna give the missus one last chance to watch it with me. I've pushed Sopranos to the side for too long. The madness has to stop!

Sopranos at number 2 and Twin Peaks in the top 10. I'll take that from you uncultured troglodytes.
The most uncultured thing is Mr. Robot not making the top 30. It should be top 10 at least!

SteveCoppellFan

Still not finished that show, think i've tried watching it about 5 or 6 times. I'm like a season or so away from it ending. Can't put my finger on why I struggle to continue watching it but each time I gradually lose interest and stop watching only to return to it in like 12 months. Does it at least end well or is it another show with a shitty ending?
Im a little biased as i loved the show but for some maybe the ending was a little passive.

SteveCoppellFan

At least The Walking Dead is not in the top 30.

My son starting watching this and it took me years to actually start watching it.

Started well but dear god, never has a program fallen off such a cliff the further it went on.

My son stopped watching it after a few series but me being the stubborn fool I had to watch until the bitter end.

The last few series were some of the worst TV ive watched.

I think they have a new series out now but I just will not go through that again.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
At least The Walking Dead is not in the top 30.

My son starting watching this and it took me years to actually start watching it.

Started well but dear god, never has a program fallen off such a cliff the further it went on.

My son stopped watching it after a few series but me being the stubborn fool I had to watch until the bitter end.

The last few series were some of the worst TV ive watched.

I think they have a new series out now but I just will not go through that again.
Just looked it up, and they managed to milk 11 seasons out of that? :lol:

I gave up after season 7, and it had already been a load of shite for years by then. God bless you and anybody else who stuck it out to the grim death.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Read the Yellow King too because of TD but I wasn't really caught by it. Think the first story was already the best for me.

It's been a while since I properly read Lovecraft. Call of Cthulhu obviously, think Whisperer in the Dark, Colour out of Space were quite memorable, personally I like Shadows over Innsmouth very much. I liked also his short stories set in New England around the Arkham area, no idea how they're named though. If you can appreciate audiobooks there is the HP Lovecraft Society which produced pretty awesome audiobooks of all his works. Think some are free to get an idea.
Thanks, I'll have a nosey.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Dunno, Breaking Bad has - contrary to what I believed it set up as its intial premise - nothing to do with real life. It‘s a superhero fantasy of a chemistry teacher building his rand-ish business empire. Watched it all and then never touched it again. Also the facelift of the actress (his wife) after S1 always pulled me out of it whenever she was on screen. Bit of a pity but there was just no way to make believe this could have been part of her character.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
@HTG
Cheers! It's top on my list now. I'm gonna give the missus one last chance to watch it with me. I've pushed Sopranos to the side for too long. The madness has to stop!

The most uncultured thing is Mr. Robot not making the top 30. It should be top 10 at least!
Such a horribly under appreciated show. It’s wonderful. Definitely my top 10.

can’t really argue with the top two, The Wire is my GOAT and I tend to flip between Mad Men and The Sopranos for the #2 spot. I do think Breaking Bad is slightly overrated but it’s still top 10.

AaronRedDevil

The fact that Vikings and Sons of Anarchy didn’t make it is a joke. But again its the luck of the draw.

Spoony

The People's President
Dunno, Breaking Bad has - contrary to what I believed it set up as its intial premise - nothing to do with real life. It‘s a superhero fantasy of a chemistry teacher building his rand-ish business empire. Watched it all and then never touched it again. Also the facelift of the actress (his wife) after S1 always pulled me out of it whenever she was on screen. Bit of a pity but there was just no way to make believe this could have been part of her character.

Middle aged chemistry teacher becomes the biggest drug lord in the land. About as close to a real life premise as possible. Great show. Perhaps the best.

Zen86

6th season was absolutely incredible with some of the best episodes in the entire show, and the finale is the best episode ever.

The last two seasons were spectacularly bad though, almost like bad fan fiction.
It was rubbish from a story and character perspective. It became nothing more than lowest common denominator CGI shock moments.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The fact that Vikings and Sons of Anarchy didn’t make it is a joke. But again its the luck of the draw.
Nothing to do with luck, those just aren't that good. They're both pretty similar in that they had some pretty good episodes and were a fun watch for a while, but the quality of writing and acting varied a lot, and generally declined.

Edit: similar to The Walking Dead, really. And Billions. And most not-that-bad TV.

Wing Attack Plan R

Thanks for doing this @Dirty Schwein . Results are a fecking shit show but you did a lot of work.

Before I post the next one, I have a question.

I'm gonna do the music albums version of this next year. What's the best way to do the qualifying rounds?

I was thinking just do it by like decades:

Up to 1969
1970s
1980s
1990s
2000s
2010 - present

Would that be the best way?

I'm not a huge music fan so would like input.
music you will need to break it into genre and decade.

Futurama getting the shade thrown at it that it deserves.

(J/k @Wing Attack Plan R)
:(
Recency bias has it this high.
Completely. It’s like how the NME will say some new album is top 100 of all time, then two years later no one remembers it. #kasabian #arcticmonkeys #thestreets #sleafordmods
Recency bias strikes again!
And again and again
It was the best of shows, it was the worst of shows.
GOT was a show that I couldn’t wait to see each week, event TV or appointment TV or whatever.
Bonjourrrrrrrr you TikTok watching vape monkeys!
Genius
The West Wing and Only Fools and Horses not on the list. My faith in fellow United supporters has been shaken.
West Wing seasons 1-4 were great. Seasons 5-8 were bad bad bad.

Wing Attack Plan R

Nothing to do with luck, those just aren't that good. They're both pretty similar in that they had some pretty good episodes and were a fun watch for a while, but the quality of writing and acting varied a lot, and generally declined.

Edit: similar to The Walking Dead, really. And Billions. And most not-that-bad TV.
Sons of Anarchy was ludicrous. Ridiculous show start to finish.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular

Middle aged chemistry teacher becomes the biggest drug lord in the land. About as close to a real life premise as possible. Great show. Perhaps the best.
Did you see it when it got aired? I did‘t remember that it was advertised as some sort of power trip fantasy, but maybe it was. It was entertaining but it felt too cartoonish for me to truly ring a bell for me and I didn‘t like that it never cared to tell anything meaningful about the victims of „the product“ or the whole system but chose a path to tell a story about him also being conned out of his grey matter company (where he was also extraordinary brilliant) and a still confusing story about his ex partners which I found highly uninteresting and totally unnecessary regarding the narrative. But to each their own.

AaronRedDevil

Maybe not top 10. But shite like black fecking Adder doesn't even belong in that list.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Hands down the weirdest reason I've ever seen to lose suspension of disbelief.
Why? Of course it wasn‘t the whole show (which just got too much OTT as it progressed in my opinion). But about every second sentence of her in S1 was about saving money and then S2 starts and she just had some surgery going on. Nothing the show runners or anybody (except her, her choice) can be blamed for of course but that just stuck out everytime I saw her. Also didn‘t really liked her character so that didn‘t help.

Cole9

The Wire was my number one until I re-watched The Sopranos recently and remembered how genius it is. It's also just incredibly funny. Funnier than some comedies.

James Gandolfini and Tony Soprano are eternally one and the same. The little mannerisms, the breathing, the childishness, all whilst being such a threatening, complex person. Just terrific acting. His argument with Edie Falco in Whitecaps is incredible from both.

Some of the best supporting characters too. Chris, Paulie, Sil, Livia, Junior, Bobby. I actually hated Livia on my first watch but on second watch I found her less irritating and just quite funny.
Agree with all of this. Out of all my favourite shows, none of them have been anywhere near as good as The Sopranos when it comes to watching them through a 2nd time, 3rd time or more. There's so many good characters and moments which make me laugh out loud, which is unusual for a drama like this. Not to mention James Gandolfini's performance which is just something else.

As much as I like The Wire, when I watched it the 2nd time it wasn't the same and I doubt I'll watch it again any time soon. It only made no.8 on my list so I'm disappointed to see it beat The Sopranos, but I can see why people would vote for it.

Cheers for putting this together again @Dirty Schwein. I think I'll probably skip the music one as my taste in music is rather limited :lol:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
You'll be fine. I listen to backstreet boys and Craig David so you can't get any more embarrassing than that :lol:
I'll be sure to stink up the vote with my terrible takes (look at my tagline!)

But if you go for albums over songs then please include the song list in a spoiler tag or something so that music heathens like me can partake. I can hardly remember the name of a single album, so I'd have no idea what to vote for!

If you go for songs then you might as well already register 10 points to Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'll be sure to stink up the vote with my terrible takes (look at my tagline!)

But if you go for albums over songs then please include the song list in a spoiler tag or something so that music heathens like me can partake. I can hardly remember the name of a single album, so I'd have no idea what to vote for!

If you go for songs then you might as well already register 10 points to Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler
I'm happy to do songs or musicians if albums are too difficult.

Freestyler... rockthemicrophone!!!!

Last edited:

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
The Wire is at n1. It seems the universe is fine.

Also thanks to @Dirty Schwein for his work.

All in all, a good top two. I would've preferred Deadwood to be much higher but it seems so few people have watched it.

Last edited:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Should I watch Sopranos? Keep in mind that I find pretty much anything that has to do with Italian-American mafia men to be dull, uncool and unsexy. Including Scorsese's stuff

Agree with all of this. Out of all my favourite shows, none of them have been anywhere near as good as The Sopranos when it comes to watching them through a 2nd time, 3rd time or more. There's so many good characters and moments which make me laugh out loud, which is unusual for a drama like this. Not to mention James Gandolfini's performance which is just something else.

As much as I like The Wire, when I watched it the 2nd time it wasn't the same and I doubt I'll watch it again any time soon. It only made no.8 on my list so I'm disappointed to see it beat The Sopranos, but I can see why people would vote for it.

Cheers for putting this together again @Dirty Schwein. I think I'll probably skip the music one as my taste in music is rather limited :lol:

Yes the Sopranos is the one. It’s the only show I can rewatch the whole thing again and again. I cannot do that with any other drama shows except for comedy sitcoms that are reruns. Also it was filmed all around my area and is based after the bumbling DeCavalcante family that operated(s) in the area.