Television RedCafe's Favourite TV Shows Of All Time Contest (THE RESULTS)

Zen86

No. 6 - Game Of Thrones
Total Points: 186
Number Of Lists: 34
Highest Position: 1
Voter Of Highest Position: @AaronRedDevil @Revan

Big GoT fan but I don’t think this even made my list purely because of how drastically it fell off a cliff. Was pretty trash from season 5 onwards and seasons 7 & 8 were awful, culminating in probably the worst ending of all time. At its peak it was probably the biggest series ever, but it’s legacy has taken a beating since.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
No. 4 - The Simpsons
Total Points: 218
Number Of Lists: 38
Voter Of Highest Position: @HTG @narnar

Nothing will ever be so good, so wholesome, subversive, brilliant, funny, honest, critical and emotional as the first ten seasons of the Simpsons. Especially the shows peak from season 3 to 8 is in my opinion the greatest show tv has ever seen. I love the show. It made good times even funnier and bad times a little brighter.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Never been a fan of GoT. Even the first seasons I watched had already enough tedium dragged out to fill up time imho. Pretty soapy stuff most of the times too.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'd read the books long before the GOT show and when it came out I thought it's mediocre at best, given the material. I can see people liking it so much if they haven't read the books though.

Moby

Dick
It's clearly not just that. Yes nobody watches the newer seasons but people still watch the best seasons all the time, just like with any show.
I doubt anyone under the age of 20 right now has any interest in it unless it's their 40 year old dads still sat watching yellow cartoon guy saying D'oh for the last 30 years.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I doubt anyone under the age of 20 right now has any interest in it unless it's their 40 year old dads still sat watching yellow cartoon guy saying D'oh for the last 30 years.
Are we out of touch? No. It’s the children who are wrong.

Revan

Assumptionman
Big GoT fan but I don’t think this even made my list purely because of how drastically it fell off a cliff. Was pretty trash from season 5 onwards and seasons 7 & 8 were awful, culminating in probably the worst ending of all time. At its peak it was probably the biggest series ever, but it’s legacy has taken a beating since.
6th season was absolutely incredible with some of the best episodes in the entire show, and the finale is the best episode ever.

The last two seasons were spectacularly bad though, almost like bad fan fiction.

hobbers

Cant take any show seriously that pulls the rug from under its viewers in the way GoT does.

They had the option for more episodes and more time and they chose to show contempt for the fans and just rush through 6 steaming piles of shit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bolded bit is incredibly reductive and you know it. I forgot how much of a big depresso you are when you enter threads.

Moby

Dick
Cant take any show seriously that pulls the rug from under its viewers in the way GoT does.

They had the option for more episodes and more time and they chose to show contempt for the fans and just rush through 6 steaming piles of shit.
A lot of shows decline and it's normal but it's rare to watch something and think the writers were paid to intentionally sabotage and completely burn it to the ground to the point a parody would look better. It would have taken someone who absolutely hated every single fan of the show to make Jaime Lannister say a line like "I never really cared about them" after that entire series. Couldn't hate the show more after that ending if I tried and that's from someone who pretty much has every single scene of at least the first four seasons memorized.

Moby

Dick
Bolded bit is incredibly reductive and you know it. I forgot how much of a big depresso you are when you enter threads.
It is what it is. If you mean I don't sugarcoat things unnecessarily then yeah, I'm ok with it. It's hardly surprising to see a show like that being super popular in a forum where the average age is like mid 40s.

caid

True Detective made it to top 20 on the back of one (of three) series. Just one. Surely GoT had more than one series that would top most dubious selections in this top 20 so far?
True Detective's one series was a complete, self contained story. It didn't matter that the second series was bad. Same with Blackadder having a bad first season, it didn't hurt the later ones. I find it pretty hard to care about any of Game of Thrones now. The bad seasons hurt the good ones much more. Doesn't help that these looming threats that add jeopardy in early seasons turned out to be such a damp squib. There was always a mystery box, anticipation element to the show that needed a payoff.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
If you haven't seen episodes like King-Size Homer, Mr. Plow or Deep Space Homer at least 20+ times I don't know what you do in this thread.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Oh thank feck it’s not number 1.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
One of my favourite shows ever. Those last 8 episodes were just the best TV I have ever seen.

Compared to 1&2, this was only in a handful of lists as number 1 yet wasn't too far off, points-wise, to number 2...

HTG

Supports
Bayern
So it’s between The Wire and The Sopranos. As it should be.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
So it’s between The Wire and The Sopranos. As it should be.
Mad Men is better than both. The Sopranos possibly the most overrated show of the list.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No. 3 - Breaking Bad
Total Points: 282
Number Of Lists: 41
Voter Of Highest Position: @Dirty Schwein @Dumbstar @Globule @amolbhatia50k @Golden Nugget

Incredible show. Whether people think it's overrated or underrated is on them really. Show can't help how people talk about it.

Amazing character development and superb acting from Cranston all the way through. It's a generational show but just not quite at the level of the top 2. Right position imo. Ozymandias one of the best episodes ever. And Crawl Space. Every character in the universe had so much depth, their motivations felt real and everything had a purpose. Love it.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
No. 2 - The Sopranos
Total Points: 308
Number Of Lists: 39
Voter Of Highest Position: @Solius @Parma Dewol @11101 @hobbers @Tom Van Persie @The Cat @onemanarmy @Old Ma Crow @P-Ro @youngrell @Cole9 @Roosney @caid @njred @Bobade @Twins @Zen86

No. 1 - The Wire
Total Points: 345
Number Of Lists: 41
Voter Of Highest Position: @massi83 @1950 @harshad @Damien @e.cantona @Greyfog @Ian Reus @oneniltothearsenal @Stobzilla @Massive Spanner @FreakyJim @Eriku @KirkDuyt

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Haven't seen Sopranos but The Wire is very good. Not my favourite but it's an excellent show.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The psychology of criminality vs the sociology of criminality. I lean slightly in favor of the Sopranos but there’s really nothing in it, both worthy winners.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I think the top 10 is full of shows that are clearly very well regarded amongst most places and the top 5 especially can all have arguements for being the best show.

hobbers

Sopranos won on average rating and number of 1sts, the true winner.