Television RedCafe's Favourite TV Shows Of All Time Contest (THE RESULTS)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
And that's your lot for another year. Thank you to everyone who voted/discussed/moaned... these contests would be pointless without you guys.

I'll be back next year with a music related one (not sure if it's albums, songs or musicians).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The Wire was my number one until I re-watched The Sopranos recently and remembered how genius it is. It's also just incredibly funny. Funnier than some comedies.

James Gandolfini and Tony Soprano are eternally one and the same. The little mannerisms, the breathing, the childishness, all whilst being such a threatening, complex person. Just terrific acting. His argument with Edie Falco in Whitecaps is incredible from both.

Some of the best supporting characters too. Chris, Paulie, Sil, Livia, Junior, Bobby. I actually hated Livia on my first watch but on second watch I found her less irritating and just quite funny.

Moby

Dick
And that's your lot for another year. Thank you to everyone who voted/discussed/moaned... these contests would be pointless without you guys.

I'll be back next year with a music related one (not sure if it's albums, songs or musicians).
Thanks for putting on a great show! I would particularly like to comment how utterly fair and ethical the entire contest was!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
As for The Wire, just an absolutely brilliant portrayal of the systems in our society. It was the first show I watched that truly had no good/bad characters. You rooted for drug dealers and murderers, you hated some of the police, corruption is rife in every area. There are good people in everything but they're overwhelmed by how life works.

So much of it still holds true to this day, and if anything my second watch just made me feel so cynical about the world. Certain things just function the way they do and you cannot change that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thanks for all the hard work putting this together @Dirty Schwein

The music one is going to be so polarised I think e-fists might be thrown.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Thanks for the great work @Dirty Schwein put into all of this. Had a lot of fun.
But I’m still mad because of Frasier.

Withnail

I'd read the books long before the GOT show and when it came out I thought it's mediocre at best, given the material. I can see people liking it so much if they haven't read the books though.
The feckin books. Those lads fecked up then show and old man Martin won't or can't finish the books. What a disaster.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Incredible show. Whether people think it's overrated or underrated is on them really. Show can't help how people talk about it.

Amazing character development and superb acting from Cranston all the way through. It's a generational show but just not quite at the level of the top 2. Right position imo. Ozymandias one of the best episodes ever. And Crawl Space. Every character in the universe had so much depth, their motivations felt real and everything had a purpose. Love it.
Nah, the only one that really had any kind of depth was Walter. Even Jessie himself didn't overly change much after Season 1, was his character all that different from the end of season 1 to the end of the show? Not overly. They were all dislikeable shites too. Even Jessie became a bit of a whining twit. Walters family were shite, annoying characters.

I think the problem is that people enjoyed the premise of the show and unlike other shows it did at least end well. The fly episode was by far the best episode in the show, its one memorable episode that I can remember. It also probably aired at the right time for the demographic of this forum, most of us were young 20's to 30's. Anyway, for me it's not even a top 10 show, too many characters in the show that I found incredibly tedious and dislikeable. Ultimately it was carried by Walter and Jessie and both characters went through stages of being deeply annoying shites. It was hard to route for anyone tbh.

SteveCoppellFan

Spartacus only at 21 is borderline corruption.

The fact Vikings is not in the top 30 is also a disgrace.

Ive watched The Wire and its good but not THAT good.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks for doing this @Dirty Schwein

As for The Wire, just an absolutely brilliant portrayal of the systems in our society. It was the first show I watched that truly had no good/bad characters. You rooted for drug dealers and murderers, you hated some of the police, corruption is rife in every area. There are good people in everything but they're overwhelmed by how life works.

So much of it still holds true to this day, and if anything my second watch just made me feel so cynical about the world. Certain things just function the way they do and you cannot change that.
Twin P and The Wire share my personal no1 spot. What I found very cool about the Wire is that you have a great ensemble of characters that all convincingly interact with each other, everybody has their own arc and it‘s all very plausible. And all that works within a frame where each of the five seasons has a very clear and distinguished focus (street level / shipment and import / school system / media / politics) but it all grows together seamlessly and naturally.

Writing all that though: it does contain one cnut that has no development whatsover and stands out like a sour thumb imho (and thinking about it I also think it‘s cool that way): Herc.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The fact Vikings is not in the top 30 is also a disgrace.
Still not finished that show, think i've tried watching it about 5 or 6 times. I'm like a season or so away from it ending. Can't put my finger on why I struggle to continue watching it but each time I gradually lose interest and stop watching only to return to it in like 12 months. Does it at least end well or is it another show with a shitty ending?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
No. 3 - Breaking Bad
Total Points: 282
Number Of Lists: 41
Highest Position: 1
Voter Of Highest Position: @Dirty Schwein @Dumbstar @Globule @amolbhatia50k @Golden Nugget

I can't believe how few people had this as their number 1. Baffling. Great show. I had put off watching it for years as I thought it was going to be overrated and it wasn't the type of subject matter I watch. Then decided to give it a go and couldn't put it down. I never rewatch shows, just don't have the patience, but this one is the only exception.

Withnail

Is this really the first show/movie where you rooted for criminals vs police?

I'm perfectly happy with either The Sopranos or The Wire being number 1. I chose Sopranos but ask me in a month and it could be the other way around. Everything else is a distant third place.

Character development in The Sopranos has never been done better, and more than any other show youd become part of it. You'd finish an episode and think you needed to go out and do your collections.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Nah, the only one that really had any kind of depth was Walter. Even Jessie himself didn't overly change much after Season 1, was his character all that different from the end of season 1 to the end of the show? Not overly. They were all dislikeable shites too. Even Jessie became a bit of a whining twit. Walters family were shite, annoying characters.

I think the problem is that people enjoyed the premise of the show and unlike other shows it did at least end well. The fly episode was by far the best episode in the show, its one memorable episode that I can remember. It also probably aired at the right time for the demographic of this forum, most of us were young 20's to 30's. Anyway, for me it's not even a top 10 show, too many characters in the show that I found incredibly tedious and dislikeable. Ultimately it was carried by Walter and Jessie and both characters went through stages of being deeply annoying shites. It was hard to route for anyone tbh.
Each to their own I guess. I quite liked Skylar. Think she got unfair stick for blocking the protagonist, and some of her later season stuff was quite clever. I thought Hank, Saul and Mike were solid characters with enough background and motivations. Jesse did basically remain the same. Gus was decent but a bit caricaturish.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Is this really the first show/movie where you rooted for criminals vs police?
First show, probably. I watched it before Sopranos and a couple other shows. I think my first watch of it was like 2009?

Maybe I should say it was the first show that portrayed it so well.

Moby

Dick
I can't believe how few people had this as their number 1.
A lot of people either started watching it too late with a million absurd notions about it in their heads or just completely miss the entire point of the writing and what Vince created in the first place, trying to watch most of it as some sort of standard crime thriller drama.

An easy way to check how on track someone is with it is to ask them whether or not they enjoyed Fly. If anyone couldn't get on board with that, they are never gonna get close to what the whole show was about.

Withnail

First show, probably. I watched it before Sopranos and a couple other shows. I think my first watch of it was like 2009?

Maybe I should say it was the first show that portrayed it so well.
Yeah that's probably fair and I agreed with the overall point but as kids we were always up for the bad guys

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
A lot of people either started watching it too late with a million absurd notions about it in their heads or just completely miss the entire point of the writing and what Vince created in the first place, trying to watch most of it as some sort of standard crime thriller drama.

An easy way to check how on track someone is with it is to ask them whether or not they enjoyed Fly. If anyone couldn't get on board with that, they are never gonna get close to what the whole show was about.
There's a shitload of people who hate Fly as well. I thought it was great.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So I said I'd watch the highest ranked show I've not seen. That's Mad Men. It's saved me from watching Blackadder at least.

Moby

Dick
There's a shitload of people who hate Fly as well.
Which is what I am saying. If there's one episode that encapsulates the entire show perfectly, it's that. People who hate it most likely missed the entire point of the show and are likely the ones who moan about gus fring walking out with half his face missing.