Gaming Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia)

Have a word with yourself. What’s sad is coming to conclusions about me and making a fool of yourself.

Despite having lost interest I stuck with it and finished the game. Roughly 65 hours. I also created multiple save files so I could go back and affect the honour system to see the different endings. When I said I gave up on it I was referring to convincing myself this was a groundbreaking game. If you read back through my posts in this thread you will see that I think the game is good but not amazing.

It wasnt clear what you were saying, you put 65 hours into the game and did multiple story arcs so when you say you ‘gave up’ it was a little misleading.

If you aren’t amazed by the game then fair enough but I think it’s brilliant. On the One X in 4K it’s unreal, I’ve spent hours just fecking about in the hills hunting animals.

I do that all the time. If I'm not enjoying something I'm not going to keep playing.

I do that with plenty of games as well, just meant in this particular case. Even the world in this game makes me want to continue playing for as long as I can.

Nah, it's far too much work to create all the possible permutations for a truly choice based game. RDR 2 is pretty good in showing you the consequences of your actions, but it's the discrepancy in Arthur's character between the pre-determined narrative and free-roam events that bothers me. It's only minor though.

I've done this with Yakuza 0 and Final Fantasy XV, even after pouring 30+ hours in each game. Ultimately, if you don't enjoy it enough, why waste more time on it? It's not like your money will be spent better by spending more time not enjoying it.
I did with Bloodhorner after only 30mins :lol: I don't have any patience these days, either a game hooks me from the go or not

I did with Bloodhorner after only 30mins :lol: I don't have any patience these days, either a game hooks me from the go or not
That's a bit of a special case, it took me a long time to appreciate Bloodborne but I now consider it a masterpiece and a personal top 5 game of all time. The first couple of hours are brutal.

The illusion of choice and what made me finally give up on the game. Your actions make practically no difference to the story and unless you play Arthur as a bit of a bastard, the honour system is contradictory and pretty pointless.

RD2 looks incredible but it’s not a game changer; not even close.
Agree, the game is incredibly scripted and it holds your hand from the very beginning to the very end.

I’m watching the credits roll now, just finished it. A beautiful yet repetitive experience. A decent enough story, some very interesting characters but I couldn’t help but feel the entire thing is stuck in the past from a gameplay perspective.

Stunning music throughout. Best thing about the game for me, that and the at atmosphere.

I’d give the game an 8/10.

Funny that you would mention Bloodborne. Normally I don’t give up on games as all the games I get are ones that I know I’ll like, but I happened to borrow Bloodborne from a friend to see what all the hype was about. I ended up returning it to him the day after :lol:

So you gave up on the game because of the honour system? seems like a really poor excuse to stop playing, the game is amazing regardless of that system.

You quit playing then went on YouTube to check the endings :lol: fecking hell how sad.
This post is sad. What are you, 12?

Why do some of you get pissy about someone having a different opinion to you about a video game? Some of us aren’t blown away by RDR2, deal with it.

This post is sad. What are you, 12?

Why do some of you get pissy about someone having a different opinion to you about a video game? Some of us aren’t blown away by RDR2, deal with it.

People aren't pissy with alternative opinions. They get pissy with persistent negativity though, repeating the same hashed out lines about it not being revolutionary, or it being too linear, or not having enough character depth, etc. Throwing in the odd praise over its beauty doesn't hide the stench of the gargantuan shit you've laid on the game.

People aren't pissy with alternative opinions. They get pissy with persistent negativity though, repeating the same hashed out lines about it not being revolutionary, or it being too linear, or not having enough character depth, etc. Throwing in the odd praise over its beauty doesn't hide the stench of the gargantuan shit you've laid on the game.
Again, why does this matter? It’s an opinion forum about a video game, no?

I’ve summed up what I think is great about the game and what is weak.

Do we all have to be nodding dogs? “Everything’s amazing in this game, nothing is bad. 10/10”. Life would be pretty boring if we all shared exactly the same opinion.

No one is insulting your friend or family here. It’s a video game :wenger:

And again, for the record, it’s a very good video game which is flawed and archaic in gameplay design.

If he doesn't like parts of the game why can't he mention it? It's not just a thread to praise the game :lol: really don't get how people can get pissy over someone making decent points about parts he didn't like.

Anyway I've finished the main story now and it's 10/10 from me. Best game I've played in years maybe ever

Again, why does this matter? It’s an opinion forum about a video game, no?

I’ve summed up what I think is great about the game and what is weak.

Why say “everything is amazing about this game, nothing is bad. 10/10”?

No one is insulting your friend or family here. It’s a video game :wenger:

Because most people make their opinion about the game (generally positive) and go on their merry way, whereas you are coming across as a hipster, persisting with your negativity while throwing in the odd compliment to guard against any criticism.

I'm not upset by your critique, but your inability to move on from it. You aren't blown away by the game and feel the need to continuously remind us of this. I can't say I'm blown away by the game either - it hasn't reinvented the wheel, but it's certainly enjoyable.

Because most people make their opinion about the game (generally positive) and go on their merry way, whereas you are coming across as a hipster, persisting with your negativity while throwing in the odd compliment to guard against any criticism.

I'm not upset by your critique, but your inability to move on from it. You aren't blown away by the game and feel the need to continuously remind us of this. I can't say I'm blown away by the game either - it hasn't reinvented the wheel, but it's certainly enjoyable.
I’ve finished the game and given my final thoughts on it today.

I really don’t see what’s so wrong about what I’ve posted. Others have made lots more posts in here about the game than I have.

And, what the feck is a hipster from a video gaming perspective? Like I think it’s cool to say the game isn’t perfect? Well, it isn’t perfect - far from it.

Why should he move on from it? There are parts he likes about the game and parts he doesn't like, surely he's allowed to continue to express those opinions? If he hated every single aspect of the game then fair enough, I'd say just stay away from the thread. That's not the case.

He's a hipster for having a different opinion :lol:

Really why should he move on and not discuss the game? That's what the thread is for!

It's not like he hasn't put any reasoning behind his thoughts on why he didn't like parts of it

Anyone else get a little weepy near the end, on the final ride back to camp with the song playing?

No? Nah, me neither.

*spits tobacco*

Don’t see anything wrong with what @Vadim has said in this thread. It’s also not like 8/10 is a bad score to give a game, it’s actually a good score.

:lol:

Agree, the game is incredibly scripted and it holds your hand from the very beginning to the very end.

I’m watching the credits roll now, just finished it. A beautiful yet repetitive experience. A decent enough story, some very interesting characters but I couldn’t help but feel the entire thing is stuck in the past from a gameplay perspective.

Stunning music throughout. Best thing about the game for me, that and the at atmosphere.

I’d give the game an 8/10.

Wouldn’t agree with this based on my experience so far though. There’s far far far more incredibly scripted open world games than this, wouldn’t be a stick I’d beat it with anyway. There’s a good few activities I’ve done so far that weren’t marked on the map, so even in that regard it’s definitely nowhere close to being one of the worst I’ve played.

Don’t see anything wrong with what @Vadim has said in this thread. It’s also not like 8/10 is a bad score to give a game, it’s actually a good score.
Not for AAA games these days with rabid fanbases. 10's and 9's are acceptable and anything else is met with backlash and controversy.

On the criticism, I love the game but I would agree that story missions are extremely scripted and hand hold-y. You cannot do anything out of the ordinary. Stray too far from the objective, mission failed. Take too long, mission failed. Fire a gun before you're supposed to fire a gun, mission failed. They are very polished set-pieces.

The thing is, the game is clearly on another level to anything before, so I'm not sure how anyone can complain about it aside from the little stuff like controls. If you don't like it, it's must just be games in general you don't like? Or at least open world games. The pacing of it I could accept but this is for adults, not COD players.
It's semi-revolutionary, just from the sheer scope (from the map to the encounters and feeling of 'life'), despite plenty of mechanics that we've seen before, although almost all with something added for realism.

Not for AAA games these days with rabid fanbases. 10's and 9's are acceptable and anything else is met with backlash and controversy.

On the criticism, I love the game but I would agree that story missions are extremely scripted and hand hold-y. You cannot do anything out of the ordinary. Stray too far from the objective, mission failed. Take too long, mission failed. Fire a gun before you're supposed to fire a gun, mission failed. They are very polished set-pieces.

Ah I wasn’t really talking about the story missions, I was mainly talking about the open world in general but yeah probably a fair point then. Rockstar have always done it this way with missions, hopefully it’ll change for their next gen releases.

What do people actually want? Of course it's scripted as there is a story to be told. It's really not that difficult to grasp that concept, the stories you make exploring the world are far more interesting and enjoyable anyway so that's where the fun is, not really in the missions. In terms of gameplay, again what do people really want added?

What do people actually want? Of course it's scripted as there is a story to be told. It's really not that difficult to grasp that concept, the stories you make exploring the world are far more interesting and enjoyable anyway so that's where the fun is, not really in the missions. In terms of gameplay, again what do people really want added?
I would like a brand new game engine, not the same engine used in GTA V. It’s clunky and awkward controlling the protagonist.

We want decisions to actually have huge consequences. Not just “Oh I did that and got ending 2 instead of ending 1.” This kind of thing has been around for decades now it’s not new.

I want varied missions in gaming now, not the same, tired fetch quests over and over again.

It’s really not that difficult to grasp, we’ve already said what’s wrong with the game and why it’s an 8/10 for me rather than a 10/10.

I would like a brand new game engine, not the same engine used in GTA V. It’s clunky and awkward controlling the protagonist.

We want decisions to actually have huge consequences. Not just “Oh I did that and got ending 2 instead of ending 1.” This kind of thing has been around for decades now it’s not new.

I want varied missions in gaming now, not the same, tired fetch quests over and over again.

It’s really not that difficult to grasp, we’ve already said what’s wrong with the game and why it’s an 8/10 for me rather than a 10/10.

Yup. The classic Rockstar open world formula is getting tired. They need to switch things up for whatever comes next.

For a game that's supposed to be "realistic" and "for adults" people aren't half having childish tantrums just because others aren't fawning all over it :lol:
It’s ridiculous isn’t it? I would expect it on the Red Dead Redemption subreddit but not here :nervous:

It’s ridiculous isn’t it? I would expect it on the Red Dead Redemption subreddit but not here :nervous:
Having read all your posts, I don't see anything wrong wih what you said. I personally have no issue with what you mentionned (repetitiveness and scripts).
Not everyone is meant to appreciate things the same way anyway

Nothing wrong with disliking the game, but feck me, some of you are hard to please. We had Tetris a few years ago

After some time to digest I’m not sure where I stand on this game.

I found the story to be lacking for large parts of it, however by the end I was so invested a felt genuine emotions towards characters by the end. I felt partly as if the story was just ok, and partly as if it was one of the best story experiences I’ve ever played.

The missions were fun, but none of them really blew me away, standard rockstar fare I suppose. Didn’t really struggle with the controls but at the same time they are pretty shit.

The world is undeniably amazing, and beautiful. But once the main story was gone I found being in it a much shallower experience than I initially thought it was to the point where I can’t see myself booting the game back up. Likely to trade in whilst they’re still giving good money so I can buy Smash.

So yeah, sometimes I thought it was great, sometimes fairly average. I’m still not sure where I’m at.

Having read all your posts, I don't see anything wrong wih what you said. I personally have no issue with what you mentionned (repetitiveness and scripts).
Not everyone is meant to appreciate things the same way anyway
Thanks man (or lady?)

I didn’t set out to annoy anyone, I’m passionate about gaming and was hyped for RDR2. I guess I’m just a little underwhelmed by it all.

After a mission of chapter 3 I got some good money that I spent on bounties, camping investments and good clothes.
In addition, I had become a charlatan, thus raising my honor.
But police brutality when I had not done anything showed me what my true path is.
Now I am Frank Griffin
t7yhj8.jpg
I'm losing it and I will leave a trail of death and desolation in my path.
Now in Ambarino,not far from the north of Annesburg,where I think is a perfect location to steal a train

Thanks man (or lady?)

I didn’t set out to annoy anyone, I’m passionate about gaming and was hyped for RDR2. I guess I’m just a little underwhelmed by it all.
It's man.
I get you, when I will completely finish it (I'm on Epilogue 1) , I will have time to properly reflect on it. This is why videogame reviews are a bit flawed, you need to play a game extensively to have a good and fair opinion on it

Got pickpocketed by a Spanish guy walking into a bar. Chased him down and got my money back though.

Anyone else get a little weepy near the end, on the final ride back to camp with the song playing?

No? Nah, me neither.

*spits tobacco*

Not sure if you've finished the whole story but this fecking game
almost got me...playing as Arthur I met a woman, somewhere in the north-east corner of the map, who just lost her husband to a bear attack, then Athur shows her how to hunt, later visits her again, shows her how to shoot...very touching stuff. First thing I did when I finished the epilogue was to ride out from Blackwater as Marston, cross the whole map and go to that lady's cabin just to check if she's still there, and she fecking is. Marston tells her about Arthur and that he died a while ago...very powerful moment in which I definitely not had a tear in my eye.