Gaming Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia)

Couple of questions for you guys as I'm late to the party on this:

1. Do I need to have played the first one to play this one do you think?

2. Will normal PS4 be good enough or is this only going to look good on the Pro?

2. Will normal PS4 be good enough or is this only going to look good on the Pro?
Afaik the first one shares a few characters but this is set in a different time so it should be fine to play without it.

And yeah the normal PS4 will still be perfectly fine. It has HDR now which helps a lot. The likes of Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War still look amazing on it. I have a 4k LG OLED and it doesn't feel like the normal PS4 holds it back or anything, but obviously the 4k of the Pro would be better!

Afaik the first one shares a few characters but this is set in a different time so it should be fine to play without it.

And yeah the normal PS4 will still be perfectly fine. It has HDR now which helps a lot. The likes of Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War still look amazing on it. I have a 4k LG OLED and it doesn't feel like the normal PS4 holds it back or anything, but obviously the 4k of the Pro would be better!

It's worth saying that the PS4 Pro won't be running the game at 4k anyway. It's 1920x2160 so 4k vertically but HD horizontally. The PS4 non pro is HD.

It's worth saying that the PS4 Pro won't be running the game at 4k anyway. It's 1920x2160 so 4k vertically but HD horizontally. The PS4 non pro is HD.
Ah right, didn't know that.

I probably would've upgraded to Pro if i hadn't had to void the warranty on my normal PS4 but imo it's not worth doing now, unless you get a really good trade-in deal. Games still look great on the standard PS4 so with a lifecycle of maybe 2 more years ... nah.

Ah right, didn't know that.

I probably would've upgraded to Pro if i hadn't had to void the warranty on my normal PS4 but imo it's not worth doing now, unless you get a really good trade-in deal. Games still look great on the standard PS4 so with a lifecycle of maybe 2 more years ... nah.

I was looking for a good trade-in from PS4 Slim to PS4 Pro for RDR2 and was surprised there was nothing as it seems an obvious deal to offer. Doesn't seem worth it to me unless they offer a decent deal to upgrade for a couple of years like you say. There's a few games that support native 4k on the Pro, but not a huge amount.

Cool. Thanks, might pick it up in a few weeks, not in any rush but it does look good.

Midnight launch in less than 6 hours, this is gonna feel longer than 6 years I've been waiting for a 2nd game.

Midnight launch in less than 6 hours, this is gonna feel longer than 6 years I've been waiting for a 2nd game.
Damn you, it’s only 9 am here. This seems very unfair. I wonder if digital will be released earlier or will we have to wait till midnight. You would think worldwide launch.

Really excited for this!

Game has downloaded from PSN so just have to wait until tomorrow eve to play it - might try and sneak a couple of hours in in the morning!

That video posted showing him tracking the deer through the snow looked insanely good - cannot wait to see the world they have created.

Damn you, it’s only 9 am here. This seems very unfair. I wonder if digital will be released earlier or will we have to wait till midnight. You would think worldwide launch.

It is a worldwide launch. It’s out on the same day everywhere. Rockstar don’t have the ability to change time zones. You can’t expect Aussie people to wait 12pm next day because it’s not midnight in the UK. Then the UK will have to wait till 5am because it’s not midnight in America.

It’s actually better not playing the first one considering you know what is going to happen to some of the characters eventually.

There's videos on YouTube if you just want the jist of the story from the previous game. Basically you play a guy who was in a gang that is blackmailed into tracking down the previous members. Some stuff happens including some sad stuff at the end.

Be interested to see whether this game will becomes Rockstars highest rated. I think GTA 4 is currently their highest rated game on Metacritic with a 98. Will have to be some game to join that. Reviews drop at 12pm so we'll find out. Judging from the previews and the amount of talk from game journalists, i can see it vying for top spot.

It is a worldwide launch. It’s out on the same day everywhere. Rockstar don’t have the ability to change time zones. You can’t expect Aussie people to wait 12pm next day because it’s not midnight in the UK. Then the UK will have to wait till 5am because it’s not midnight in America.
What do you mean that don’t have ability to change time zones? What kinda rubbish company are they? Sheeesh...

The £75 one, didn't bother with the higher one as not bothered about clothes and shit for online, but the standard felt like I was missing stuff due to a couple missions

Thinking that one too.

I still haven't ordered yet though. I will get it but I know I won't be able to dedicate as much time to it right now/in the right frame of mind - December is probably better. Not even thought of FMFlike i nornally do and so many other games I skipped out on. I stopped playing Far Cry as well before the end and couldn't be arsed to get back into it. FIFA I just about have time for as that's not a commitment /feel the need to be invested etc.

I did never play the first one. It seems pretty cool and I'm thinking about getting this one. Is it necessary to play on PS4, and ps3 no good?
How are the storylines? Like what is the main motivation for our character or the big goal even, if there is one. I'll assume those of you who played the first one will have a grasp on that, as they probably haven't changed those things around much for the new one.

This game is a prequel and is set maybe 15 years before the previous game, so in a way it’s better to not know what happens in RDR1.

The main character in RDR2 isn’t in RDR1, so don’t worry about that either. I’d recommend playing this game, then if you like it trying out RDR1, because it’s fantastic and the main character is a member of your gang in RDR2 so you’ll become familiar with him.

Not sure whether to order this online and chance it not arriving tomorrow, or just go to a shop in the morning and buy it. The risk being they'll be sold out. First world problems right here.

Not sure whether to order this online and chance it not arriving tomorrow, or just go to a shop in the morning and buy it. The risk being they'll be sold out. First world problems right here.

Buy it digitally and start downloading it straight away

If you're downloading digitally online, you can also get it a bit cheaper by buying psn/xbox live credit from a website I used, I got 50 credit for paying about 42 quid I reckon.

I'm in the same boat. I ended up ordering from Very when I bought a coat and because they got me No Man's Sky on time but the order still hasn't been dispatched so I'm panicking it won't be here tomorrow.

I've decided that if it doesn't ship by tea time I'm cancelling the order and buying on PSN and then playing all night.

Buy it digitally and start downloading it straight away

I was debating that. I like to have the physical copy 'cause i do end up selling the games later on and getting some money back. But this game is going to be so huge that i'm probably gonna end up keeping it away. Decisions, decisions.

I'm in the same boat. I ended up ordering from Very when I bought a coat and because they got me No Man's Sky on time but the order still hasn't been dispatched so I'm panicking it won't be here tomorrow.

I've decided that if it doesn't ship by tea time I'm cancelling the order and buying on PSN and then playing all night.

ShopTo are good for next day delivery. Never had an issue with them before. But this game is going to be so huge i'm just worried they won't able able to keep up with demand.

If you’ve already bought the standard edition from PSN, and downloaded and installed is there any way to upgrade to the ultimate edition?

I was debating that. I like to have the physical copy 'cause i do end up selling the games later on and getting some money back. But this game is going to be so huge that i'm probably gonna end up keeping it away. Decisions, decisions.

I get that, problem is with physical copies is even once you’ve got them you need to wait hours for the installation. By buying it digitally you could start installing it today and it’ll be ready to play at midnight.

Should be on Greenwich Mean Time! Bollocks to ye timezone advantage

96 on Metacritic so far :drool:

I have seen a few complaints about it being incredibly slow.

And the main campaign seems more like 40-45 hours than 60 ... Jev will be delighted.

I've already decided I'm going to make Arthur a fat, stinking, hairy, drunk, lecherous scumbag.

I was getting excited, I downloaded the game on Tuesday, I worked a long shift Wednesday with today off.

I finished work, went and bought some beers awaiting midnight so I could play it and soak it up.

24hrs too early. I’m working tomorrow too...

I was getting excited, I downloaded the game on Tuesday, I worked a long shift Wednesday with today off.

I finished work, went and bought some beers awaiting midnight so I could play it and soak it up.

24hrs too early. I’m working tomorrow too...

That's a killer.
I might get some beers in actually.

A lot of perfect scores as expected. Most of the criticisms seem to be aimed at the fact that it's a little too detailed. Also, it's supposed to be a very slow burn and takes a while to get going.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the PS4/Red Dead 2 bundle from Amazon. This looks too good to miss out on.

A lot of perfect scores as expected. Most of the criticisms seem to be aimed at the fact that it's a little too detailed. Also, it's supposed to be a very slow burn and takes a while to get going.

I'm plenty fine with both those things