Gaming Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia)

I bet they’re not expected to work 100 hour weeks in the same way you’re allowed as many holiday days as you want in some of those American companies.

The game is over a year late from when it was originally supposed to be released which was August last year, if it isn’t spit shined and polished and they are still scrambling then someone needs fired. I hope it isn’t going to need a tonne of patches when it comes out.

Still can’t get my hands on a Scuf Infinity controller, was looking forward to shootouts with the adjustedable hair triggers and paddles. Away to go pre-order this now and clear some space on the ye-olde Xbox.

They clarified the 100 hours thing by saying that it was mainly the writing team which consists of four people, as opposed to the team as a whole. They then went on to say that NOBODY is forced to work those ridiculous hours. Now, you could be charitable and believe that, but this isn't the first time they've been criticised for this. The first Red Dead Redemption was exactly the same, and doing some reading on it, it actually sounds worse.

I would like to think many people would? Surely. What's the bloody rush. I like video games as much as the next guy, but if they needed an extra 2 months or whatever and that would eliminate the the need for "crunch", then i would happily wait for it.
Greater people than I, it would seem.

Would you really?
Yep. Obviously there's an inherently selfish part of me that would like the game asap regardless of how many people it breaks mentally but really I'd prefer to drastically shorten the stupidly long working weeks (and minimise/remove the associated health risks) even if it means the game takes many months more to complete.

Yep. Obviously there's an inherently selfish part of me that would like the game asap regardless of how many people it breaks mentally but really I'd prefer to drastically shorten the stupidly long working weeks (and minimise/remove the associated health risks) even if it means the game takes many months more to complete.
It's a field my daughter is interested in going into. I agree with you 100%.

No shortage of talented people who would love to work at Rockstar. I’m sure they could set aside a small percentage of the billions of dollars worth of revenue they will get to hire a few more staff. That and recruit better management who could keep to timelines without breaking their employee’s backs.

The games take me months, if not years, to complete so I guess I won't be completing this. Only completed GTA5 this year and haven't even completed RDR1...

I still haven’t finished bloody GTA :lol: Will probably get this game for the next generation at this rate.

Right that's my pre-order cancelled.

Whilst you at it throw all your electronics out the window because those were made by people or kids with real slave labour. Oh and if you use Amazon then cancel that too.

Atleast the people at Rockstar are paid well. People at companies like foxconn don’t have that luxury.

Jesus, just ordered the special edition one at £74.99, due to it saying something along the lines of having more missions. Something about bank robbery and camp. How much is the ultimate edition? Bit of a douche move if they are withholding a mission from people buying the standard version.

Some dude on the R/RedDeadRedemption page shared a photo of a courier service stating that the shipping is today for his copy of RDR2, complete with tracking ID. Think he's based in Germany. Either way, the lucky SOB might be getting his tomorrow. :-/

Some dude on the R/RedDeadRedemption page shared a photo of a courier service stating that the shipping is today for his copy of RDR2, complete with tracking ID. Think he's based in Germany. Either way, the lucky SOB might be getting his tomorrow. :-/

I got my copy of GTA 5 a couple of days early in the uk from Amazon.

Bit of a shitty statement. 'No one is forced to work hard', suggesting those who dare work relatively normal hours don't work hard.

When I used to read interviews about earlier GTA releases it sounded like a real passion project from all involved. My guess is because of that they started working longer. Then the expectations increase as more and more needs to be put into a game and it probably got out of control.
The thing is, they're raking it in. They can afford to take more people on.

The bar has indeed been raised since but until then rockstar were always the one making the big maps and lots of content that had depth and quality to it. The fact that this is seemingly double the length of their last game makes me think they are definitely responding to that themselves.

I can't fecking wait.
That's true. I don't know if it can top GoW as far as 2018 games go, but this is definitely the next one I'm looking forward to play. Think I'll have to wait for prices to drop though, which may take a while. Got Rise of the Tomb Raider, Bloodborne and hopefully others to keep me busy till then!

I've never actually completed RDR ... I've got it for the Xbox one though, may have to fly through it this week

They're great at it but IMO the bar has been raised since. I do expect this to be terrific. Loved the first one.
I think witcher 3 has has the luxury if being developed exclusively for the next gen consoles. If I remember correctly Rockstar essentially ported GTAV from Xbox 360 / PS3 to XBOX One and PS4. Nearly all the core development was done on the previous console gen. This is really their first foray into developing a game exclusively on this gen. In that context witcher 3 didn't really raise the bar that much. I expect this to blow everything completely out of the water.

When I used to read interviews about earlier GTA releases it sounded like a real passion project from all involved. My guess is because of that they started working longer. Then the expectations increase as more and more needs to be put into a game and it probably got out of control.
The thing is, they're raking it in. They can afford to take more people on.
Or they were just lying like they have in this case when clamming no one worked 100 hours on the game. I image it's a whole mix of things that lead to the situation we have today in the games industry - little if any worker unions, demand for bigger games, games having to be constantly updated and remaining online, company wanting bigger profit etc.

Basically just like any other awful work environment.

Or they were just lying like they have in this case when clamming no one worked 100 hours on the game. I image it's a whole mix of things that lead to the situation we have today in the games industry - little if any worker unions, demand for bigger games, games having to be constantly updated and remaining online, company wanting bigger profit etc.

Basically just like any other awful work environment.

It was an interview with the people that created the environment on GTA if I remember right. They talked about visiting tonnes of places for inspiration and how much they loved it, as well as mentioning how much passion everyone put into it. They might just have been saying that, but I imagine it wasn't quite as intense as it is now too. It must have always been on the more demanding side with the sheer scale of the games though.

The tweet from that lady who claimed to work for Rockstar is actually a former team bondi employee, who Rockstar didn’t get along with and ultimately decided not to use them anymore. She was apparently having a cake day every week which her boss told her that she should stop because Rockstar told him, which just sounds strange as her boss who was Brendan McNamara didn’t really pay attention to Rockstar or any of his employees for that matter. His attitude was the main reason they closed.

I just pre ordered RDR off Amazon. Does the delivery usually come a day early? I'm looking to see whether to book Thursday, Friday, Monday Tuesday and Wednesday off.. I'm sad I know...

I just pre ordered RDR off Amazon. Does the delivery usually come a day early? I'm looking to see whether to book Thursday, Friday, Monday Tuesday and Wednesday off.. I'm sad I know...

I pre ordered from Amazon and the order said it was due to arrive Saturday. I've cancelled it and ordered it from Xbox live instead. Says it'll be available to download at midnight of the 26th. I'll set it going at midnight so it should be ready by morning.

No Maxi and I don’t know why people seem to think Amazon get games early to people. They don’t. Maybe it’s happened like once a while but generally they get it to you on release.

The best place is digital if you want it midnight. The other two places are Simply games and the game collection both could get it to you on Thursday morning but there’s also a strong chance Rockstar have told retailers not to ship early.

Shopto used to be good at getting games early and cheaper. But now they more expensive and don’t do the early part for big releases.

I pre ordered from Amazon and the order said it was due to arrive Saturday. I've cancelled it and ordered it from Xbox live instead. Says it'll be available to download at midnight of the 26th. I'll set it going at midnight so it should be ready by morning.

No Maxi and I don’t know why people seem to think Amazon get games early to people. They don’t. Maybe it’s happened like once a while but generally they get it to you on release.

The best place is digital if you want it midnight. The other two places are Simply games and the game collection both could get it to you on Thursday morning but there’s also a strong chance Rockstar have told retailers not to ship early.

Shopto used to be good at getting games early and cheaper. But now they more expensive and don’t do the early part for big releases.

Ah cheers. I'm going to cancel that order then and just buy off the ps4 store. Just watched the video below and I'm hyped for it to say the least. Its going to eat serious amount of free time from me.

:drool:

Surely a 24 hour Tesco or Asda is? You might get chance to play it before morning at least, assuming the install isn't as big.

You can pre download it on digital a few days before. Whilst Tesco you’d have to install it and wait. The install is massive apparently and then most likely day one patch.

You can pre download it on digital a few days before. Whilst Tesco you’d have to install it and wait. The install is massive apparently and then most likely day one patch.

Ahhh sheeet. Forgot about the pre download.

Is inexplicably paying a tenner extra on Xbox Live the only option for that? Robbing gets (I'll probably do it though).

How big you reckon? Surely, it cant be more than about 70GB?

They certainly used to get it to you the day before in most cases, but that was a few years ago. I remember getting a few FIFAs on the 360 the day before via Amazon and that was pre-install days, so you could start playing right away.

I at least expected RDD2 to arrive on release day from Amazon, but once it updated to Sunday, I cancelled and bought digital.

I've heard you can install a couple of days early on PS4, is it the case for Xbox too? Mine says it's not available until midnight of the release.