Gaming Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia)

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/the-making-of-rockstar-games-red-dead-redemption-2.html

• Main Campaign is around 65 hours long
  • 2,200 days of motion capture was performed
  • The script for the main story is nearly 2000 pages
  • The script, including all additional dialog, would be "about 8 feet high" of printed and stacked together.
  • 500,000 lines of dialog.
  • 300,000 animations
  • About 5 hours of content and missions were cut in the end
65 hours, if true not bad especially as some people were blasting the game because Rockstar don’t care about single player anymore as they didn’t release DLC for GTA V which was odd.

65 hours is amazing and would be their longest game by far. First one was about 18-20 hours from what I remember or even less.

Damn my gaming time is less and less these days with a newborn. Will take me a year to complete it

I'll probably only have a few hours a week to play but screw it, it looks too good to miss out on.

It is massive but does that include side missions or is it main missions only ? I can see this reaching higher than 100+ hours

'Main campaign' suggests main missions to me, although could mean single player in general I guess.

65 hours is amazing and would be their longest game by far. First one was about 18-20 hours from what I remember or even less.
That game took me more than a month to finish! Looks like this will keep me occupied till next year atleast.

I think I put about 80 hours into my first Witcher 3 play through.

Sounds like this will exceed that.

They look to be trying to go down the Witcher 3 road with respect to content. The question is whether the quality will be as high.

They look to be trying to go down the Witcher 3 road with respect to content. The question is whether the quality will be as high.

You aren't serious? No one can even touch Rockstar and open world.

They're great at it but IMO the bar has been raised since. I do expect this to be terrific. Loved the first one.
The bar has indeed been raised since but until then rockstar were always the one making the big maps and lots of content that had depth and quality to it. The fact that this is seemingly double the length of their last game makes me think they are definitely responding to that themselves.

I can't fecking wait.

That Vulture article makes Rockstar sound like a horrible place to work at. 100 hour weeks and it's never a good sign when someone reminiscing starts with "some people think Dan is a dick".

My hype is reaching unbearable levels. The accounts of people who’ve been able to play the game for a few hours have been fantastic. I’ve heard a fair few refer to it as unsettling how organically the world reacts to you.

I hate that there are no shops that I can trust to deliver on the 26th, because I’d love nothing more than to turn off the HUD, unfurl the physical map and get utterly lost.

That Vulture article makes Rockstar sound like a horrible place to work at. 100 hour weeks and it's never a good sign when someone reminiscing starts with "some people think Dan is a dick".

Pretty sure this has been misquoted and it wasn’t all staff. However, to achieve great things sometimes you have to sacrifice a lot and I bet the whole team couldn’t be prouder of what they’ve achieved with this game.

Pretty sure this has been misquoted and it wasn’t all staff. However, to achieve great things sometimes you have to sacrifice a lot and I bet the whole team couldn’t be prouder of what they’ve achieved with this game.

What's the misquote?

Unhealthy working hours has always been an issue in the video game industry so no surprise it's present at Rockstar as well.

What's the misquote?

Unhealthy working hours has always been an issue in the video game industry so no surprise it's present at Rockstar as well.

This. It can be incredibly shit, Rockstar definitely are no different. Crunch time is horrible but it used to be you'd get a decent break between projects, nowadays the teams are moved around from one to another so much they kind of lose the love for what they are doing a bit which makes crunch even more excruciating.

I know someone who works at Rockstar as well as people at other devs and 100 hour weeks are standard, especially as release approaches. The retraction is simply someone covering their and the companies arses.

Last edited:
They clarified the 100 hours thing by saying that it was mainly the writing team which consists of four people, as opposed to the team as a whole. They then went on to say that NOBODY is forced to work those ridiculous hours. Now, you could be charitable and believe that, but this isn't the first time they've been criticised for this. The first Red Dead Redemption was exactly the same, and doing some reading on it, it actually sounds worse.

Obviously Rockstar isn't the only company that does this. Work conditions at CD Projekt Red during the Witcher 3 was supposed to be pretty awful. And Naughty Dog does the same shit. It's just a very odd thing to glamorise.

They clarified the 100 hours thing by saying that it was mainly the writing team which consists of four people, as opposed to the team as a whole. They then went on to say that NOBODY is forced to work those ridiculous hours. Now, you could be charitable and believe that, but this isn't the first time they've been criticised for this. The first Red Dead Redemption was exactly the same, and doing some reading on it, it actually sounds worse.

Obviously Rockstar isn't the only company that does this. Work conditions at CD Projekt Red during the Witcher 3 was supposed to be pretty awful. And Naughty Dog does the same shit. It's just a very odd thing to glamorise.

I just feel like games don’t get to that level without sacrifice and extreme dedication. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the people who work so hard to make these things what they are.

I just feel like games don’t get to that level without sacrifice and extreme dedication. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the people who work so hard to make these things what they are.

Same here. They're incredibly talented people who do amazing work. But there's a difference between dedication and sacrifice, and being made to work 100 hour weeks with a reduction of benefits, in some cases. This whole "crunch" thing is ridiculous. If you're in a position, as a games studio, where you HAVE to put in those insane hours for a few weeks because there is absolutely no other way to get the thing done, then you're doing something wrong. Big time. It points to poor management. It's a problem with the industry as a whole, and when you read some of the horror stories from the people involved, you just realise that's it's not worth it.

You shouldn't be relying on working in those conditions in the first place.

The games take me months, if not years, to complete so I guess I won't be completing this. Only completed GTA5 this year and haven't even completed RDR1...

I'd rather the game came out later and the staff worked normal hours
Agreed.

I say make them work a few more hours and bring it out this week

Would you really?

I would like to think many people would? Surely. What's the bloody rush. I like video games as much as the next guy, but if they needed an extra 2 months or whatever and that would eliminate the the need for "crunch", then i would happily wait for it.