Rasmus Hojlund Denmark flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
No, I agree. I just object to the notion that we saw a new player today - and that it’s because of Ruud. But yes, it was one of his best games for us.

Oh yeah, who bloody knows what Ruud is doing for him. If coaching the next top striker was as simple as sticking them with a legend then there would be a lot more great number 9s knocking about and Brazilian Ronaldo would be a billionaire.

Still doesn't stick as much as I'd like when it goes up to him, but boy do we have a striker for the future if he can continue improving.

Incredible what a goal can do to people’s impression of a player. He’s clearly not been at 100% this season, but all the things you guys are praising him for in this game, he’s done before. It was an excellent game from him, but last season he held the ball, bullied cb’s, turned on them, made clever runs and beautiful passes to our wingers, overlapped, went back to get the ball etc. too. He just doesn’t get credit if we disappoint or he doesn’t score.
Btw, he also did many of these things at Atalanta, so no - it’s not Ruud’s magic wand. It’s just the player Hojlund is.
Someone in the match day thread set this was the first goal of his he could remember that wasn't a simple finish.

Interesting that he mentioned in his post match interview that he was trying not to fight with the defenders. When Andy Cole appeared on Stick To Football earlier in the year, he levelled this as Hojlund's biggest weakness:

"He has an obsession with wanting to fight the centre half. You don't need to - not in the modern day game. Back in the day yeah, it was totally different. But now? He has this big obsession like 'Right, I gotta fight, I gotta know where he (the defender) is, I gotta have a little tussle with him and then we can go from there'. He's fighting and tussling so much that he doesn't get hold of the ball. Just play freely. Get hold of the ball."

Possibly this change is just Ruud's influence, but I wonder if he also caught wind of Andy's comments.

Interesting that he mentioned in his post match interview that he was trying not to fight with the defenders. When Andy Cole appeared on Stick To Football earlier in the year, he levelled this as Hojlund's biggest weakness:

"He has an obsession with wanting to fight the centre half. You don't need to - not in the modern day game. Back in the day yeah, it was totally different. But now? He has this big obsession like 'Right, I gotta fight, I gotta know where he (the defender) is, I gotta have a little tussle with him and then we can go from there'. He's fighting and tussling so much that he doesn't get hold of the ball. Just play freely. Get hold of the ball."

Possibly this change is just Ruud's influence, but I wonder if he also caught wind of Andy's comments.
Hopefully both. If it's the case it shows he is absolutely a keen learner and maybe, just maybe, we will have a top striker for the foreseeable future!

Need him to stay fit. He's not there yet, but I think he has a good chance of really going up a level.

Need him to stay fit. He's not there yet, but I think he has a good chance of really going up a level.
Staying fit is the key for him. He takes time to get up to speed so hopefully he can avoid the little niggles here and there. If he does it will be clear to see we have a very good player on our hands.

The best part is that he will get sharper and fitter and the team should improve for this which in turn means we will see him involved more in games.

He was fantastic today and that finish was sexy. I think he has shown if he gets chances he can score as he has scored with a variety of different finishes he maybe just needs to be more calm in certain situations like he was for that goal.
Hold up was decent, was winning first balls but there were occasion where his concentration or touch let him down. Sometimes he would control it under a lot or preasure then next time he had no one on him and he fumbled his touch.
Overall he great, spinning and finding passes, spreading play and his movement in the first half especially was great. Made countless runs looking to score.

Less wrestling, more goalscoring.

This was the issue Andy Cole had with his play last year, said he spends too much time fighting with CBs. Rudd probably told him the same. Glad see it. Very good performance and a great finish.

I saw that and immediately thought the same thing.

He still has issues with his touch at times, it can be a little annoying.

Delighted he scored though! Great finish a bit like Ruud v Arsenal away all those years ago.
That'll hardly improve at his age. We just have to work with it while getting him to play more intelligently which he's shown he can.

Glad to see he did well, he's a talent and I don't think we should start writing him off immediately.

He's also been the butt of thousands of WWE jokes on social media, mostly from United fans, so I'm sure the criticism was not lost on him.

When a striker has height, pace, power, surprisingly good mobility, good finishing, and seemingly a great mentality as well, you shouldn't ever write them off IMO. I was very satisfied with his hold-up game today, too.

I maintain my opinion that his ceiling is very high and I really hope we can build a collectively good team around him that can provide him with a lot of chances regularly.

That's a much bigger issue and need to work out, rather than Hojlund not being the finished article just yet, because I firmly believe that this current version of him can already score a lot of goals with a good team around him.

Was great yesterday. Beautiful finish too.

Was nice to see Martial in his comments congratulating/encouraging him.

Upwards and forward for him. Let’s go

That'll hardly improve at his age. We just have to work with it while getting him to play more intelligently which he's shown he can.
True, to be fair he did a great job rolling defenders over and over, can’t believe how much he gets fouled.

I dont think he fights too much with defenders. I think he just loses too much.

While hes tussling defenders come round and get the ball, which is what he was fighting for. Obviously most of the time hes playing against older more experienced defenders but he should be strong enough to use his body correctly to hold them off and he doesnt.

Better performance yesterday, took his goal really well and has the speed and finishing to be a really good striker in a year or two

While hes tussling defenders come round and get the ball, which is what he was fighting for. Obviously most of the time hes playing against older more experienced defenders but he should be strong enough to use his body correctly to hold them off and he doesnt.
Yes he does. But he doesn’t win these duels all the time and you only notice when he doesn’t, it seems. He bullied Saliba in his first game for us so it’s nothing new either.

I see he's back to being a very promising class striker again...

At half time people were saying garnacho doesn't do anything well. There's a difference between form and ability and unfortunately some people can't see how young players will be inconsistent. Doesn't make them terrible players but some of the things that get thrown around about the younger lads is ridiculous.

Rasmus will get better. He's learning in a tough place. He's proved he can score goals patience is required but he could do with a striker in his prime scoring more goals to rotate with unfortunately.

Someone mentioned it yesterday how he can sometimes look clumsy & I personally found that the exact word I was looking for a while now.

He is a good young player with some nice potential but at times he can come off looking clumsy.

It's not necessarily things like his footballing decisions or IQ, it's more things like his balance or his ability to quickly turn around the defender or maybe his passing.

His performance was better yesterday & him playing off the central defenders allowed him to have some more time to turn and play some flicks and passes.

Hopefully this is something we see more of because if he can get more involved in the game as a focal point to any XI be that Uniteds or Denmarks then he should have the ability to be a good striker for both teams & stop having those games where he can come off feeling like there's no one up front on the pitch.

Was great yesterday. Beautiful finish too.

Was nice to see Martial in his comments congratulating/encouraging him.

Upwards and forward for him. Let’s go
Martial got a lot of shit from the fans towards the end (some deserved) but to me, he always seemed like a good lad in the dressing room. I remember reading an interview with Greenwood where he said that Martial was the senior player that helped him the most when he was transitioning to the first team.

Nice to see that our old number 9 is backing our new number 9

At half time people were saying garnacho doesn't do anything well. There's a difference between form and ability and unfortunately some people can't see how young players will be inconsistent. Doesn't make them terrible players but some of the things that get thrown around about the younger lads is ridiculous.

Rasmus will get better. He's learning in a tough place. He's proved he can score goals patience is required but he could do with a striker in his prime scoring more goals to rotate with unfortunately.

That last paragraph sums it up nicely, we needed it much more than a Zirkzee type forward

I don't understand how someone can watch him have an all-round game like that and then decide that he should just be running in behind all the time, like all our other forwards.
Are you referencing me? Because that’s not what I said, I just don’t want him stuck on a CB trying to chest balls down and wrestle all game. He’s built like that type of striker but he really isn’t one.

Someone mentioned it yesterday how he can sometimes look clumsy & I personally found that the exact word I was looking for a while now.

He is a good young player with some nice potential but at times he can come off looking clumsy.

It's not necessarily things like his footballing decisions or IQ, it's more things like his balance or his ability to quickly turn around the defender or maybe his passing.

His performance was better yesterday & him playing off the central defenders allowed him to have some more time to turn and play some flicks and passes.

Hopefully this is something we see more of because if he can get more involved in the game as a focal point to any XI be that Uniteds or Denmarks then he should have the ability to be a good striker for both teams & stop having those games where he can come off feeling like there's no one up front on the pitch.

It's his weird running style that makes him appear clumsy when running with the ball. I too think he can be prone to the occasional loose touch when accelerating with the ball, and why I'd love for him to run into the ball more as opposed to with the ball. He can be a pretty good finisher with both feet, we just need to find him in space more like yesterday.

Playing like he did yesterday, you don't notice that unrefined touch so much as he can quickly release it after turning away from the defenders and can hopefully be slid in by our wingers/Bruno.

It's his weird running style that makes him appear clumsy when running with the ball. I too think he can be prone to the occasional loose touch when accelerating with the ball, and why I'd love for him to run into the ball more as opposed to with the ball. He can be a pretty good finisher with both feet, we just need to find him in space more like yesterday.

Playing like he did yesterday, you don't notice that unrefined touch so much as he can quickly release it after turning away from the defenders and can hopefully be slid in by our wingers/Bruno.

Yeah that's a good observation about the touch

Excellent performance yesterday I was really really impressed by him. The incident where the ball came to his feet and he flicked it round the corner and turned his man really caught my eye, can't remember too much of that from him. His shooting has always been good and if he can develop his all round game then he will get more chances.

Well done rasmus top drawer performance.

I think the point about an occasional lose touch applies more to his first touch when wrestling with a defender on his back. Usually his touch is very controlled while running.

Think that was up there with his best performances for United at the weekend. Look forward to him building on that and hopefully finally getting to a point where he can do 90 minutes

Someone in the match day thread set this was the first goal of his he could remember that wasn't a simple finish.
Funny. I can't remember the last time he scored a simple finish. Almost all of his goals have been a nice piece of work, and not tap-ins.

Great performance from Rasmus, goal aside even. I’m yet to be fully convinced by him, but there’s a lot to like too. I love his supreme confidence and self-belief, which I think is crucial for a player who is expected to shoulder the burden of scoring goals.

All I know is that we could really really do with this signing being a proper success. Hope this is the season where he becomes that guy.