2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Abraxas

The fact we need a striker is not because he's been poor, it's competition and so he can get rest too, he's had niggly injuries slowing him down and clearly needs rotation at times. If they turn out better then they win the place, that's life at a big club. It's more to do with the fact that you cannot have one number 9 option, that's silly, but that's where we were last season.

I think he's got a couple seasons of big development ahead. Copenhagen to Atalanta to Man United are huge jumps in a short period at a young age.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well we can't say he's been anonymous this time at least. Getting involved, not always to great effect.
More of that needed. It would be a big step up if he just offered a sustained threat, especially against tough teams. I’m not even at the stage of judging him by numbers yet. I’m judging him by promise, which is why that ‘he scored 16 goals’ isn’t getting past me. 16 goals, 10 in the league, are not enough in any case, so the most important thing is does he look like a striker who can double that? And the answer based on last season would be ‘no’ for me, so people need to stop banging on arbitrarily about the goals and pretending they translate to meeting the standard. All season I was reading he was ‘poor, but he could realistically manage to get double figures which would be a good season’. People don’t even need televisions anymore if that’s how it works. We don’t need a striker to get 16 goals, we need a striker to get 25-30, and if not, show the capacity to facilitate other forwards to get those numbers. So 16 doesn’t matter to me. It matters if you are showing potential to score 30, but only end up with 16 due to youth, naivety etc. But 16 that leave people thinking you did very well to somehow get 16 goals doesn’t count for as much as people are making out IMO

El Jefe

Irresponsible to go into next season with him as our starter.

Whatever promising future he has is at least two years away. No need for us to suffer between that time.

It’s like trusting a young Welbeck to be our first choice No.9.

Rojofiam

He seemed to be carrying an injury. In any case he just has more to his game than Hojlund.
Very similar profiles, very similar current ability, very similar ceilings

Why was spending 120m on Ferguson the better decision then?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We are in big trouble if we are relying on him as our number one striker next season.
We shouldn’t. Get someone more experience to soak in the minutes in the short term, show him a thing or two and ensure he’s prepared to take over in a couple of seasons.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It would be interesting to find posts by the same people talking about Welbeck in 2011. and about Hojlund 2024.

Rojofiam

Similar age (Ferguson 2 years younger iirc), but different profile and ceiling. Although, only time will tell on the ceiling.

£120m? I’m referring to the sum spent on Hojlund.
How is Ferguson a different profile? They share the same strengths, even seem to have a similar mental profile. My point was that 64m on Hojlund is an infinitely better deal than double that on someone who's marginally better at best.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
More of that needed. It would be a big step up if he just offered a sustained threat, especially against tough teams. I’m not even at the stage of judging him by numbers yet. I’m judging him by promise, which is why that ‘he scored 16 goals’ isn’t getting past me. 16 goals, 10 in the league, are not enough in any case, so the most important thing is does he look like a striker who can double that? And the answer based on last season would be ‘no’ for me, so people need to stop banging on arbitrarily about the goals and pretending they translate to meeting the standard. All season I was reading he was ‘poor, but he could realistically manage to get double figures which would be a good season’. People don’t even need televisions anymore if that’s how it works. We don’t need a striker to get 16 goals, we need a striker to get 25-30, and if not, show the capacity to facilitate other forwards to get those numbers. So 16 doesn’t matter to me. It matters if you are showing potential to score 30, but only end up with 16 due to youth, naivety etc. But 16 that leave people thinking you did very well to somehow get 16 goals doesn’t count for as much as people are making out IMO
Not that I disagree with the crux of this post, but I think you underestimate how atrocious our attacking platform is for forwards to excel. We only scored 57 league goals last season, and we rarely create consistent goalscoring chances in games. A response to that can be that Hojlund is playing a big part in that, but we scored 58 the second before that, and 57 the one before that again.

Our attacking play is inherently broken, and I’d be extremely surprised if we crack 60 next season. Hojlund or otherwise.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Well he basically had a great season then.
It wasn't amazing by any stretch, but he was banging them in every game for a short period before he got injured for a month. He showed glimpses of a ruthless goalscorer.

He will hit 20 league goals next season. You can quote me on that.

Rojofiam

It wasn't amazing by any stretch, but he was banging them in every game for a short period before he got injured for a month. He showed glimpses of a ruthless goalscorer.

It's so disappointing that the masses don't realize what a player we have on our hands in Hojlund. 90% of posters on here just seem to be hopeless at judging talent.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
How is Ferguson a different profile? They share the same strengths, even seem to have a similar mental profile.
Ferguson has better technique and touch, and better at link up play. He’s more similar to a Harry Kane (though much more advanced at the same age and with greater physicality).

My point was that 64m on Hojlund is an infinitely better deal than double that on someone who's marginally better at best.
Yeah, fair point. I’m just referring to the Hojlund sum and Ferguson certainly isn’t worth £120m.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

It’s a shame because I obviously want you to be right, but you can quote me that he will absolutely not score 20 league goals next season. He just about scraped 10 with a late flurry this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's so disappointing that the masses don't realize what a player we have on our hands in Hojlund. 90% of posters on here just seem to be hopeless at judging talent.
Whereas your conclusion is of course the correct one? I believe that’s how it works right?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
His control is more than fine. He’s still learning the game and is raw.
Jesus Christ I wonder if we watch the same football at times. He can’t control a ball, can’t dribble, can’t hold up play, his finishing is hit and miss. Truly such a limited footballer, Lukaku has far more to his game than this guy.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not that I disagree with the crux of this post, but I think you underestimate how atrocious our attacking platform is for forwards to excel. We only scored 57 league goals last season, and we rarely create consistent goalscoring chances in games. A response to that can be that Hojlund is playing a big part in that, but we scored 58 the second before that, and 57 the one before that again.

Our attacking play is inherently broken, and I’d be extremely surprised if we crack 60 next season. Hojlund or otherwise.
That’s a fair point. Although I’d perhaps counter by saying we scored 58 the season before and the unanimous conclusion of logic was that what we needed to do was add a capable centre forward to go up a level.

Zoo

Jesus Christ I wonder if we watch the same football at times. He can’t control a ball, can’t dribble, can’t hold up play, his finishing is hit and miss. Truly such a limited footballer, Lukaku has far more to his game than this guy.
To say he can’t control a ball is total bollox. Simple as that.

Rojofiam

Whereas your conclusion is of course the correct one? I believe that’s how it works right?
I don't see how it's not crystal clear that Hojlund is an excellent player already and will likely be a 40 goal striker in the right team by his mid 20s?

He's not perfect, but he has a rare combination of pace, height, power, finishing, technique, link-up play, positioning, and other things.

Even if you look solely at his numbers, they're very impressive even with just a tiny bit of contextualization.

El Jefe

I don't see how it's not crystal clear that Hojlund is an excellent player already and will likely be a 40 goal striker in the right team by his mid 20s?

He's not perfect, but he has a rare combination of pace, height, power, finishing, technique, link-up play, positioning, and other things.

Even if you look solely at his numbers, they're very impressive even with just a tiny bit of contextualization.
I thought this type of top reddism was left in 2015.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Okay, and then I say I don’t know how that could be crystal clear to anyone so far. Now what?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's been shit today (and this campaign). Doesnt matter if he scores a worldie, he's missed too many easy moments. That's his bread and butter if he doesnt want to add anything from deep.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Big chance missed, would have been great for him
Again, lack of composure. All power and hope. Bottom corner and that’s in.

That said, I have no problem with that. As I’ve said, I’d rather see things like this more frequently than the nothingness. We can then begin to project and see where the hoped goals will come from in the future.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
A worse version of Lukaku. Not exactly sure what people exoect him to improve upon, he is all phisique and could decline early more than anything.

An expensive impact sub at best.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Isn’t really a natural in front of goal, that’s clear. I’d be selling.