Rashford is as good as Mbappé...

In your opinion is Rashford presently as good as Mbappé?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Ive read more posts than I should about another over hyped English player, is that why Iceland beat them etc etc (Thats brought up a lot)
Even on here, I put forward the argument that Kane has had a better year than Neymar and it all came out!
Got to say I havent been on the same forum then.

:lol: Travel the world ? How about we use the internet instead.

And your point is ?
If you use to internet and go back to 04 you will likely find a lot of hype worldwide around Rooney.

You know well what my point is, it's only natural for young players to not be hyped as much outside of their own country. Messi was a Barca academy graduate so he didn't have the same mass appeal as Mbappe who went for (sort of) an insane fee.

I just find it funny that as soon as Rashford's excellent game finished, someone decided to create this thread for self-affirmation of having the best teenager in the world. It's simply nonsense. I don't even care about the stats whether it's this season or last, Mbappe is just a more complete and intelligent player. He hardly makes a bad decision, can we say the same about Rashford? He hardly fails to convert his chances, can we say the same about Rashford?

If you're only watching highlights, it's only gives half of the picture. I enjoy watching the both of them over the duration of a game, along with Martial, and the eye test simply doesn't lie. Both Martial and Rashford are behind Mbappe, while being older. I think all three, if they continue progressing, will be world-class in time, but I really don't think it's that difficult to see when watching a full game of all three that Mbappe is simply the superior player right now.

You're imagining it. He is a fantastic player, the medias love him. When he emerged, he was hyped crazy, it was crazy because he didn't prove much but nowadays every praise is well deserved.

He really wasn't. Kane was not considered to be a premier league level by coaches at Tottenham. Everyone was expecting him to tail off.

Maybe not intentionally, but this is sort of a trend, or has been this decade. Maybe the English players haven't been good enough, granted, but as far as talent is concerned, they are sometimes marginalised.
I would say it is 100% because English players are not good enough.

It's why we have the likes of Walker going for £50m and Drinkwater for £40m. Clubs are desperate to bring English players through because it's actually very beneficial for them to do so. It means spending less money and meeting their home grown quota. The idea that PL clubs would ignore English talent in favour of bringing in these elusive foreigners is bonkers.

I don't see the downplaying. Kane has remarkably muted hype when you consider he is probably the best striker in the world at the moment.
I cannot agree. He is known and judged for his true value. In France I know he is at least. In England, let's not even talk about that.

I'm sorry but no-one bar United fans would think this. Mbappe is leagues ahead of Rashford.

I just find it funny that as soon as Rashford's excellent game finished, someone decided to create this thread for self-affirmation of having the best teenager in the world. It's simply nonsense. I don't even care about the stats whether it's this season or last, Mbappe is just a more complete and intelligent player. He hardly makes a bad decision, can we say the same about Rashford? He hardly fails to convert his chances, can we say the same about Rashford?

If you're only watching highlights, it's only gives half of the picture. I enjoy watching the both of them over the duration of a game, along with Martial, and the eye test simply doesn't lie. Both Martial and Rashford are behind Mbappe, while being older. I think all three, if they continue progressing, will be world-class in time, but I really don't think it's that difficult to see when watching a full game of all three that Mbappe is simply the superior player right now.

Er, what are you talking about. He didn't have a particularly standout game. It's just the little things he does, which makes me believe he's up there with the best.

He really wasn't. Kane was not considered to be a premier league level by coaches at Tottenham. Everyone was expecting him to tail off.
How did he make it then by his coaches didn't consider him. He wasn't a true striker at first but he earned it deservedly. Spurs were playing a different system than their current one anyway when he emerged.

Kane is constantly getting downplayed due to his nationality.
Thats before the "Overrated Premiership" brigade comes running in.

Kane has been downplayed for sure but it's not because of his nationality. That's because he didn't do anything of note on an international level or in European caps. Also, he didn't win anything and is playing for Spurs. Just this 2 games in CL have instantly elevated him in top strikers tier.

When you do it in Europe you will get recognition. Like Bale against Inter for example. And it's pretty much the same with any player, no matter his nationality.

If you use to internet and go back to 04 you will likely find a lot of hype worldwide around Rooney.

I've already done that since I lived through all of that and all the hype was based in England. I'm sure you could find one off articles outside, but the entire narrative was between us and Everton.

You know well what my point is, it's only natural for young players to not be hyped as much outside of their own country. Messi was a Barca academy graduate so he didn't have the same mass appeal as Mbappe who went for (sort of) an insane fee.

How is this remotely relevant to anything ?

I visit a few forums to get a grasp on whats expected for my weekend bets.
Reddit alone has a mixture of it all.
We all do the same thing brother. I am personally a member of 2 other forums (English and French). Kane, for 2 seasons now, is considered as one of the best strikers in the world.

Kane has been downplayed for sure but it's not because of his nationality. That's because he didn't do anything of note on an international level or in European caps. Also, he didn't win anything and is playing for Spurs. Just this 2 games in CL have instantly elevated him in world-class strikers tier.

When you do it in Europe you will get recognition. Like Bale against Inter for example. And it's pretty much the same with any player, no matter his nationality.

Fair enough. Misunderstood you. Just the thing is Kane came in to the Spurs team when they were really short for strikers, bit like Rashford, actually.

Kane has been downplayed for sure but it's not because of his nationality. That's because he didn't do anything of note on an international level or in European caps. Also, he didn't win anything and is playing for Spurs. Just this 2 games in CL have instantly elevated him in top strikers tier.

Good point.

I've already done that since I lived through all of that and all the hype was based in England. I'm sure you could find one off articles outside, but the entire narrative was between us and Everton.

Because you and others are saying that Rooney wasn't getting recognition outside of England. He was, but even still, it's only natural that youngsters won't get as much hype outside of the country they play in.

Mbappe would not be able to do what he did if he played in England. If he did, he would've likely put up the sort of numbers Martial put up as a 19 year old.

Without derailing the thread too much but, do you remember Newcastle challenging us for Rooney? How fecking ridiculous does that sound now.

Because you and others are saying that Rooney wasn't getting recognition outside of England. He was, but even still, it's only natural that youngsters won't get as much hype outside of the country they play in.

He wasn't really. His hype was 90% or more sourced within the English press. There wasn't much in the way of Madrid, Barca, Milan or the like going after him.

He wasn't really. His hype was 90% or more sourced within the English press. There wasn't much in the way of Madrid, Barca, Milan or the like going after him.
It was 13 years ago but I do remember there being a lot of hype. But you might be right, or wrong, it's hard to know that far back. Still, Rooney when he came to Utd was one of the world's most marketable footballers, not just in England. The club you're at and playing in Europe makes a huge difference.

That's true. No one was looking at Rooney outside of England but he was rated by football fans all over the world. Without a doubt.

Without derailing the thread too much but, do you remember Newcastle challenging us for Rooney? How fecking ridiculous does that sound now.

I vaguely remember that. IIRC the Geordies had to scrape together £20 by selling Woodgate to launch a bid.

Sherwood was a genius. Saw what no one saw lolz.

Actually, I think Sherwood was quite highly rated as a youth coach/scout. So he could yet take credit for Kane.

I vaguely remember that. IIRC the Geordies had to scrape together £20 by selling Woodgate to launch a bid.

I remember that clearly. Even though I was like 14 at the time. Didn't even have the internet in the house ffs, cause couldn't get it in my area. Had to use ceefax and listen to five live. Geordies actually matched our bid I think.

Saying all that. Newcastle were a CL club then, or there about. And had an excellent manager who would have helped Rooney just as much as Sir Alex Imo.

Mbappe would not be able to do what he did if he played in England. If he did, he would've likely put up the sort of numbers Martial put up as a 19 year old.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, because what Martial did at 19 years old in his first season in England was pretty extraordinary. The only thing Mbappe had over that output last season was the goals in the CL, but I think anybody would hope for that sort of season for any newcomer in the Premier League. The fact that you assume Mbappe would have had a similar output bodes well for his case.

Rashford has already won the Europe League. He plays in the Champions League this year and he is playing great. No doubt that Mbappe is a real talent, but Rashford is something else imo.
What? Europa is nothing on the CL. And Rashford has had 2 sub appearances in the CL this season. Come on now. That's clutching.

Rashford averages a hatrick ever 90 minutes at CL level. He's better than Ronaldo and Messi combined.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, because what Martial did at 19 years old in his first season in England was pretty extraordinary. The only thing Mbappe had over that output last season was the goals in the CL, but I think anybody would hope for that sort of season for any newcomer in the Premier League. The fact that you assume Mbappe would have had a similar output bodes well for his case.

My point was to illustrate that there is little between these players. If put in identical situations they would achieve very similar numbers.

Regardless of who's better, I enjoyed two little tricks the two lads threw up.

Which one was better?

Mbappe on Alaba for Neymar's goal or Rashford on Ward for Mata's goal?

Martial and Mbappe are definitely on bar. Only difference is that Mbappe is a lot better off the ball. Rashford is a bit off

:lol: Travel the world ? How about we use the internet instead.

Rooney's transfer at 18 made the front page in India in 2005, when football coverage was usually about a paragraph a week.

I was thinking more in football countries - Spain, Italy etc.

My point being that if in a country where football coverage was non-existent, this was front-page news, I'm reasonably confident that it would be the same in Italy too. He was the world's most expensive teenager, the new hope for England, the White Pele after all.

My point being that if in a country where football coverage was non-existent, this was front-page news, I'm reasonably confident that it would be the same in Italy too. He was the world's most expensive teenager, the new hope for England, the White Pele after all.

It wasn't big news outside England (among football countries) because he was an Everton teenager. Sort of hard to market that in Rome, Rio, and Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.