Rashford is as good as Mbappé...

In your opinion is Rashford presently as good as Mbappé?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing Mbappe have over Rashford now is his decision making in the final third. If Rashford improves, which should come with age. Who is to say Rashford wont be better?

It wasn't big news outside England (among football countries) because he was an Everton teenager. Sort of hard to market that in Rome, Rio, and Madrid.

In Berlin, he seemed to be talked about even before his transfer while he was at little old Everton:
http://www.zeit.de/2004/28/Sport_2fRooney_28

In 2004 July, months before we signed, him, El Mundo, which is indeed in Madrid, carried an article claiming that a Real Madrid presidential candidate wanted to sign him as part of Madrid's plan for the next decade: http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2004/07/10/futbol/1089484220.html

And this is with imperfect curation of foreign articles by google - I can't see the Times of India front page either.

In Berlin, he seemed to be talked about even before his transfer while he was at little old Everton:
http://www.zeit.de/2004/28/Sport_2fRooney_28

In 2004 July, months before we signed, him, El Mundo, which is indeed in Madrid, carried an article claiming that a Real Madrid presidential candidate wanted to sign him as part of Madrid's plan for the next decade: http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2004/07/10/futbol/1089484220.html

And this is with imperfect curation of foreign articles by google - I can't see the Times of India front page either.

I'm not saying there wasn't coverage - of course there was with United nearly breaking their transfer record on a teenager.

Not a chance. Mbappé is the best young striker since the early 90s.

I'm surprised if this is a reaction to Rashford's performance today, which in itself was very average in my opinion.

Mbappe is already a top 10 striker in the world. Rashford has a lot of potential but it is not set in stone that he'll become a top 10 player. Can become a top 3 mind but let us not get ahead of ourselves now.

The only thing Mbappe have over Rashford now is his decision making in the final third. If Rashford improves, which should come with age. Who is to say Rashford wont be better?
It's a pretty fecking huge thing I'd say. What makes the difference between a good and a crap player.

It's a pretty fecking huge thing I'd say. What makes the difference between a good and a crap player.
I even think it's more than that. Mbappe has more tools in his locker when he needs to beat his marker.
Rashford is one heck of a talent but I think Mbappe is more talented. At their ages, it would be silly judging who will end up the superior player.

Nothing to worry about. Rashford will have the usual slump young, upcoming players go through, and he'll be back to being an overrated English talent in no time.

I even think it's more than that. Mbappe has more tools in his locker when he needs to beat his marker.
Rashford is one heck of a talent but I think Mbappe is more talented. At their ages, it would be silly judging who will end up the superior player.
Exactly, it's all hypothesis. At the moment one is better than the other, it doesn't mean anything regarding who will become the better football in the next 10 years.

It's not going to be locked because he's as good as him. Objectively speaking, from what I've seen, there really isn't that much between them. Had Rashford played for Monaco, he'd have had a similar effect in that team as Mbappe.

Consistency and maturity. Mbappe plays like a man. Rashford plays like a talented teenager. Both will have great careers.

Mbappe better at every facet of football bar set pieces and defensive discipline I would say at this stage of their careers but injuries/lack of discipline etc could easily balance things out in future. Those things aside right now not a competition imo. Output wise yes Rash is pretty effective but overall quality very one sided debate.

Well Rashford has better delivery from wide and is playing little between the lines passes that Mbappe hasn't yet shown he can do.
If Rashford played well v PSG then 9 passes in 80 mins just wouldn't happen, he'd be a lot more involved.
Mbappe isn't as complete as he's made out to be.

Mbappe is clearly the best of the 2 right now but Rashford has more room to improve. Mbappe reminds of a young Ronaldo Fenomeno and he's already fantastic while Rashford reminds me of a young Cristiano, talented and dangerous, not as good as Ronaldo Fenomeno but has a lot of potential for improvement. Rashford needs to become as physically strong as prime Bale or Cristiano, improve his decision making and start being a threat in the air.

Mbappe is clearly better but he's a lot closer to being the finished product than Rashford imo.

He's miles ahead of Mfappe, whose only real claim to fame is being the Superhero of wanking.

He's not on Mbappes level though, nowhere near.

The difference for me is that even at their respectively young ages, Rashford looks like he can learn it all whereas Mbappe looks like he can already do it all.
Exactly. Love Rashford, but he is not at the same level as Mbappe.

Its a rational thing to say. Let's see how Mbappe fares in a top league before we anoint him as something he's clearly not. Conversely, let's not casually down play Rashford's talent just because his name doesn't end in a vowel and he's English.

French league may not be Premier league level, but he is doing it in the Champions league as well. He did it last year, and he was simply oustanding against Bayern last week.

Let's put it this way, if the two players switched teams there's no doubt it would improve Manchester United and weaken PSG.

That's the only thing Ribery has over Ben Arfa too.
That's a pretty stupid reply. If you read what i wrote, i said that Rashford's decision making will improve as he gets older. he's only 18 after all. Who is to say Rashford can't be better when his decision making gets better/on par with Mbappe?

It is but Rashford decision making will get better as he ages.

It's not just decision making. Despite my quite vocal support for Martial, I believe Rashford is a great talent. I just don't think that he imposes himself in games nearly as well as he should be doing. Atleast the last few games, he has become this 'moments' player. The Crystal Palace game proves my point. Kylian Mbappe was running Bayern ragged all game.

Mbappe is already one of the best players in the world - he's absolutely ridiculous.

That's a pretty stupid reply. If you read what i wrote, i said that Rashford's decision making will improve as he gets older. he's only 18 after all. Who is to say Rashford can't be better when his decision making gets better/on par with Mbappe?

It is but Rashford decision making will get better as he ages.
Hopefully yes.

I'd suggest you watch the highlights from PSG's game yesterday and you'll see that Mbappe's touch and the way he moves with and without the ball is on another level to Rashford's.

While Marcus can also one day become a world class player, at only 18 Mbappe already looks like he might be entering that category by the end of the season. On top of that, I really think that in the summer he might light up the World Cup the way a certain young El Fenomeno once did. And he would be only 19.

We can't say how great Rashford is just yet because this is his first year at the highest level - the Champions League. We will have a better idea of just where he stands at the end of the season; however it can't be denied he is an extraordinary talent already. To say there's someone better somewhere else is a little irrelevant as what matters is what he does himself and if the team keeps winning and he keeps playing well who can ask for more?

Mbappe would not be able to do what he did if he played in England. If he did, he would've likely put up the sort of numbers Martial put up as a 19 year old.
It's more than the numbers. Maybe Mbappe starts fecking up in the matches following this week which makes all this talk of his decision making as a fart noise, but thus far his decision making is excellent. I don't think Mbappe trips on himself while dribbling as much as Rashford does, so thus far to me it seems like he has slightly better technique. I think Rashford has good technique and I think Martial has better technique than all 3 which I feel his dribbling in close quarters proves.

I also think Mbappe makes better use of his physical ability better than Rashford due to his use of his strength. Rashford makes good use of his speed with only the occasional dribbling blunder messing it up.

Mbappe just seems more assured as of now and for that reason I can't say there is nothing between them. I think Mbappe is better currently.

Apart from Mbappe possessing superior technical skills IMO, one big difference for me is how they have performancd in big games. Mbappe has consistently played well against top quality oppositions at the highest level. Rashford has not had as many opportunities. We have not seen him take on big guns in the Champions League and tear them apart. Mbappe has done that. In fact, Rashford's biggest game in Europe was the EL Final in which he played very poorly.

But I believe Rashford is hugely talented and he has a superb attitude. I won't be surprised if this debate continues in the future.

Embarrassing thread really. Mbappe is better technically, a better finisher and a better big game temperament.

Not the only thing. His finishing is better. That’s two very important quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.