Rashford is as good as Mbappé...

In your opinion is Rashford presently as good as Mbappé?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mbappe is on a different levels to most attacking players in the world of any age right now.

For us, Martial is closer to Mbappe than Rashford.

Things you'll only see on an british dominated United forum, but it's allright, it's what fans do. I'm sure City have a similar thread on Sane/Jesus

I don't think Rashford is as good as Mbappe at the moment but they are both still so young that I don't see the point in all those comparisons. One could keep improving while the other stagnates and vice versa.

In a couple of years we'll have a clearer view of what each one's "ceiling" is.

Mbappe has better decision making and finishing. It’s frightening how natural he makes it all look. Mbappe just reminds me so much of the Brazilian Ronaldo. He will go on to become a Ballon d’Or winner after the Messi and Ronaldo era has finished, in my opinion.

Rashford on the other hand, whilst he has looked great, he’s still a bit raw. He’s finishing isn’t great, his decision making can be a bit poor at times and his dribbling is sometimes erratic. I think if Rashford can improve those aspects of his game, he could go on to be as good.

Do people watch Mbappe as much as they do Rashford, and are they as infuriated with his bad play for a team we don´t give a toss about, and then just as excited when he does something great? Rashford nearly had two assists yesterday when he was able to make a cross out of nowhere for just daring to go to the byline instead of turning back like everyone thought he would.

I actually think we are a little hard on our talents because we focus on the negatives more than we would if they were playing for another club, simply because the negatives Rashford/Martial have matter to us, but Mbappe´s don´t matter one bit to us.

How would you guys rate them in the abilties below? Who is better at what.

Abilities:
Finishing:
Vision:
Decision making:
Crossing:
Strength:
Pace:
Dribbling:
Technique:
Passing:

I actually think we are a little hard on our talents because we focus on the negatives more than we would if they were playing for another club, simply because the negatives Rashford/Martial have matter to us, but Mbappe´s don´t matter one bit to us.

I agree with you. When I watch other people's players, even if I watch the whole match, my brain recalls it more like a highlights reel. I notice the good bits, not the phases where they disappear, or the errors they make.

When I watch ours, I take it personally. I remember every error, and every dodgy decision. When I watch other players take setpieces I notice the goals, not the failed attempts.

That said, I think Rashford is brilliant, a truly exceptional player doing a tough job for us. Whatever flaws he's got in his game are outweighed by his qualities. If the descriptions of how he handles himself in training and his desire to improve are accurate, then I think he'll be great, and the comparisons with players who aren't ours can wait for the odd award show.

It's worth bearing in mind that Rashford is over a year older than Mbappé yet is the less polished player.

Mbappe has better decision making and finishing. It’s frightening how natural he makes it all look. Mbappe just reminds me so much of the Brazilian Ronaldo. He will go on to become a Ballon d’Or winner after the Messi and Ronaldo era has finished, in my opinion.

Rashford on the other hand, whilst he has looked great, he’s still a bit raw. He’s finishing isn’t great, his decision making can be a bit poor at times and his dribbling is sometimes erratic. I think if Rashford can improve those aspects of his game, he could go on to be as good.
As good as Mbappe is, I still think young Brazilian Ronaldo had even more in his locker. I think Mbappe is a good dribbler, but it's more so on the pace side of things. Ronaldo had that, and he also had the incredibly technical dribbling that Martial shows. He would beat you with speed and power, or he would dance around you. Mbappe is probably the closest to Ronaldo in terms of skillset/style though.

It's a pretty fecking huge thing I'd say. What makes the difference between a good and a crap player.
Well once upon a time, As teenagers for example, Rooney was miles better than CR7 in terms of decision making. Long term though, once the Portuguese maestro sorted his out there was only one winner as to which was the better player.

Things you'll only see on an british dominated United forum, but it's allright, it's what fans do. I'm sure City have a similar thread on Sane/Jesus

This. But its not only British fans. I've seen Madrid fans do the same with Asensio (who's 21) and Germans with Werner.

That said Mbappe is comfortably the best U21 player in the world. Rashford is a diamond, but not on his level.

We'll only find out if mbappe had to play under the demands of mourinho 's system put on players on the wings just like Martial had to along with rashford.

How much effective rashford or martial will be at the highest level we are yet to find out.

Exactly, it's all hypothesis. At the moment one is better than the other, it doesn't mean anything regarding who will become the better football in the next 10 years.
Spot on. Iv seen harry kane mentioned quite a bit in this thread and i think he's a pretty good example of this. At 20/ 21 year old he'd had a season out on loan in which he'd scored two goals in 16 games, this consisted of 2 goals in 13 games in the championship for Leicester and 0 goals in 3 games for Norwich in the prem.

At that time his career was pretty much the same as what james wilsons is now, minus the injureys. There will of been lots of strikers across europe,similar age and younger, who will of been rated higher at that time. The likes of el shaaraway was milans great hope and had already played for italy,in 2013 no one would of said kane would turn out the better player than him.

For me,Its hard to argue rashfords better than mbappe right now, mbappe's better. But its close enough that if rashfords more dedicated and works harder than mbappe over the next 2 to 3 year, he could overtake him.

There is certainly an argument to be had that Rashford is underrated whilst Mbabpe is overrated.

The piece of skill Mbabpe pulled in the CL against Bayern to breeze past Alaba was lauded in his thread last week (despite the fact his final ball was pretty attrocious).

Rashford did the exact same thing yesterday (past Townsend I think in the second half) and no one batted an eyelid.

Both are hugely talented and I'm delighted that in Rashford and Martial we have such bright prospects.

At the moment, Mpabbe
Well once upon a time, As teenagers for example, Rooney was miles better than CR7 in terms of decision making. Long term though, once the Portuguese maestro sorted his out there was only one winner as to which was the better player.

Depends on how you want to define it, Ronaldo barely sorted out his decision making, he'll still attempt far too many shots from distance with players in better positions, he "just" started scoring more goals. He's still one of the most selfish players out there.

I think it's more about his physics and his will to win, rather than decision making.

Mbappe has incredible composure, decision-making and consistency. Can't remember the last time I saw him have a bad game, meanwhile Rashford has had some truly shocking ones.

Rashford made a mockery out of Joel Ward on occasion yesterday, RB in one of the worst PL teams in history at this moment in time. Mbappe pretty much tore apart Bayern Munich all night long a few days ago. Levels.

At the moment, Mpabbe

Depends on how you want to define it, Ronaldo barely sorted out his decision making, he'll still attempt far too many shots from distance with players in better positions, he "just" started scoring more goals. He's still one of the most selfish players out there.

I think it's more about his physics and his will to win, rather than decision making.
Of course the decision making got also better, we saw a lot less stupid dribbling and running into blind alleys for starters.

No he´s not. The Munich game was an eye opener for me how insanely smart and mature Mbappe is. The back pass to Cavani and even more so the one to Neymar, when Neymar send the ball into the sky. That is just something you cannot learn and with the Neymar pass incredibly unselfish. That shows me how mature and what a winning player Mbappe is at age 18. That´s probably a huge reason Monaco won the league last year. He makes his teammates better at age 18.

Oh and sorry Neymar, you are brilliant player, but given that Mbappe is a Paris kid playing in Paris, you´ll play 2nd fiddle to another superstars soon.

As for Rashford. He´s a great talent in his own right. Even if United fans struggled to see it immediately. LVG for all his flaws did the club a huge service (like with Muller and Alaba at Bayern Munich) by throwing him into the deep end at age 17 or 18. He needs the games to progress. Guys like Sterling, Alli, Kane or Rashford can produce for top clubs. They just need an opportunity, instead of wasting money on guys like Perisic.

The piece of skill Mbabpe pulled in the CL against Bayern to breeze past Alaba was lauded in his thread last week (despite the fact his final ball was pretty attrocious).

Rashford did the exact same thing yesterday (past Townsend I think in the second half) and no one batted an eyelid.

The bolded parts might have something to do with it.

There is certainly an argument to be had that Rashford is underrated whilst Mbabpe is overrated.

Both are hugely talented and I'm delighted that in Rashford and Martial we have such bright prospects.

There's your answer

Les us not distort the facts just because we are manutd fans.I dont want to say Lukaku is better than Suarez.

Nah,Rashfords obviously very good but Mbappe is in a different league.His pace,power,balance,vision,understanding of space and his movement off the ball is on a completely different level....

Nah,Rashfords obviously very good but Mbappe is in a different league.His pace,power,balance,vision,understanding of space and his movement off the ball is on a completely different level....
His pace,power and balance arnt on a completely differant level, there wont be much difference in any lf those. Agree on the rest, mbappe's all round game intelligence is really superior at present. He knows exactly how and when to use the ability he's got.

Rash ain't even as good as Martial let alone Mbappe and that's not an insult to Rashford. He's a decent player but Mbappe is the superior dribbler, finisher and decision maker.

At the moment, Mpabbe

Dude. In his break out season he had some thing like 23 goals and 17 assists. If that doesn't indicate a major change in decision making I don't know what else can. Not to mention dropping the show boating dribbling for efficiency and inanely good off the ball movement.

For me,Its hard to argue rashfords better than mbappe right now, mbappe's better. But its close enough that if rashfords more dedicated and works harder than mbappe over the next 2 to 3 year, he could overtake him.

Good luck with that, Mbappe is obsessed with improving. The guy won the Euro and Ligue 1 and went straight home to rest so he could practice the next day while his teammates celebrated. Rashford is a hard worker too, but he won't outwork Mbappe. Only an injury or some major changes in his life would change his progression.

Also, people saying Mbappe is already the finished product and won't improve much are crazy; the kid is 18! He has very solid foundation, but there's a ton of things he can improve, such as range of passing, aggressiveness, strength, technique, set-pieces, and headers. That's not to say he's bad at any of those, but that's definitely aspects of his game that will improve over time. His finishing while great already will only get better over time as well.

I do believe Rashford has the most room to grow out of the two because he is fairly behind on certain key aspects such as finishing and decision-making. If he can sort those two things out (and it's not a given), then I believe Rashford will be a world-class player as well. Right now, I think it's an absolute joke to compare the two, and it's probably only in a united forum that you will find people willing to make that comparison. I strongly suggest anyone who disagrees with that to watch full games of Mbappe instead of just highlights, it's pretty glaringly obvious right now who the better overall player is.

Why is it that all of Rashford's poor games are forgotten? Literally apart from the start and end of last season he was really below average. Compare to Mbappe, he scored 20 odd goals and assists including some massive ones in the Champions League. It's wrong to compare Rashford to Martial for starters let alone Mbappe.

Mbappé is better for me. I'm not really one for over analysing stats, using whatever algorithm to compare leagues and defences - just watching them both play, I think it's clear that Mbappé is the better, and in fact, the best young player.

Some are saying we are 'under rating because he's English' or whatever, but the consensus everywhere but the caf is likely that Mbappé is better. I saw a conversation with ex-England internationals, including ex reds (was Rio, Gerrard and Hargreaves) and they were in agreement that Mbappé was better than Rashford.

For those saying how 'Mbappé played in a free-scoring team, while Rashford played for a side that couldn't hit a barn door' - I think we should consider the role both players had in those situations. Monaco would have been a whole lot less of a threat with Falcao and Germain up front instead of Mbappé. And Rashford's finishing was very disappointing last season himself, and also a reason we dropped points. Let's not pretend we played LVG football last year. We finished 6th because our forward players were largely wasteful. I remember Rashford missing a one-on-one against West Ham for example in one of our many home draws.

I really think Rashford is the real deal. Much of his game though is wrapped up in prophecy. 'When he irons out this', 'once he learns how to do that'. I don't see this conversation about Mbappé. In fact, if anything, he is being discriminated against due to his age. He must be classed as a 'young player', when in reality, he is showing none of the weaknesses attributed to young players.

Do people watch Mbappe as much as they do Rashford
No. They watch the highlights from the match, maybe some 1-2 clips from Youtube or reddit and suddenly they know everything about the player. I would argue that Mbappe is a better player than Rashford and has a higher potential, BUT he is not THAT much better. The only notable difference between them is that Mbappe gets to start every match for his team while Rashford and Martial rotate regularly. And another difference is that Mbappe plays in a league far weaker than Premier League.

If Rashford was playing at a European club instead of coming through the ranks at United, half of you would think him twice the player. Probably the same ones saying 'he's not' without ever watching Mbappe playing a full match.

Status
Not open for further replies.