Ranieri sacked as Leicester City manager

Bizarre timing. Decent result in the CL, especially considering how many teams are virtually out after the first leg.
I doubt this will have any baring on their CL run, the players weren't playing for Ranieri anyway.

What a mad decision and why now after a decent result last night? Maybe a falling out of some sort in the last few days?
I'd say their logic is that he was doing well in the CL so they may as well have let him have that game and then get rid before the PL where they've been awful. Maybe they have someone ready for the weekend too.

What a mad decision and why now after a decent result last night? Maybe a falling out of some sort in the last few days?

Loads of rumours of players not wanting to play for him. I read that they're a bit upset he got more praise than they did, which is bizarre really.

This just makes me wonder what the Leicester City board's expectations were for this season. Successive Premier League titles? Champions League football?

Ranieri has been ridiculously unlucky here. If he'd of got relegated last season he probably wouldn't have lost his job.

Ranieri doesnt deserve this. What he done will never be done again what with the way the top clubs are spending.

Players should be ashamed for failing him.

I don't subscribe to the view that this is a "disgrace"

Leicester scored for the first time in over ten hours of football.

They're going down unless they take action.

Superb memories delivered by Ranieri but life goes on. The players have shafted him.

Far too much faux outrage in here. Easy for people who don't support Leicester to say it's 'OK' for them to go down and damn the consequences for the club off the back of that.

The Leicester fan on here who posted in other Leicester-related threads did not share that opinion, and they seem pretty 50-50 about it on Leicester forums.

If they stay up, the right decision has been made; under Ranieri, for whatever reason, they looked odds on to go down and that's the pressing matter for the club, not what happened last season.

This just makes me wonder what the Leicester City board's expectations were for this season. Successive Premier League titles? Champions League football?

Ranieri has been ridiculously unlucky here. If he'd of got relegated last season he probably wouldn't have lost his job.
Maybe stay in the PL, which is looking and more and more unlikely with every passing week....

The timing of it might be because the performance last night showed the board that the players can still put in a good performance when arsed. Before that they still might have naively thought that Ranieri was getting as much out of them as he could, even though it was pretty clear that wasn't the case.

They were going down, and he didn't know how to turn it around, right decision imo.
Sure, they got a decent result in CL yesterday, but staying in the PL is more important.
They won't win the CL anyway - no, it's not the same as when they won the PL last season.

Absolutely pathetic. That club should really be ashamed of themselves. The bloke should have a statue outside the ground never mind be fired immediately after a respectable result away in Europe.

Vote of confidence alright.

My understanding is that 'vote of confidence' actually means, "We are looking for a replacement for you. As soon as we do this, you will be relieved of your duty."

No word yet from Howard Nurse on MySpace.

I don't subscribe to the view that this is a "disgrace"

Leicester scored for the first time in over ten hours of football.

They're going down unless they take action.

Superb memories delivered by Ranieri but life goes on. The players have shafted him.
This.

People are blind to how bad Ranieri and Leicester have been.

Who cares if he won them the PL, sentimental bollocks won't keep them up

I kinda get it, but it still makes me sad, and makes me a little less fond of football.

A few years from now, I'm sure we'll only remember Ranieri as the man who got players like Wes Morgan, Danny Drinkwater, and Jamie Vardy to win a Premier League title! Because those Leicester players lack any character at all, and won't be reaching such heights again.

It's not nice but I can't see how you can say it's the wrong decision (you are just being sentimental). They are in relegation form, they got to stay in the EPL to keep afloat as a business (?). A ruthless business this is.

Leciester realistically are about where the should be. With the exception Mahrez, Schmeichel and maybe Gray that squad should be playing for a team battling relegation.

What Ranieri did last year was nothing short of sensational, they've just kinda shitting on their own legacy.

I think there expectations for this season would be staying up. Its been obvious for a while that he was going to get them relegated

Well done to the Leicester board.

Ranieri was taking them down and it's a decision they simply had to make from a financial perspective. It had to happen. Morals go out the window when it's apparent you're going to get relegated, particularly given the wages they awarded some of their high profile players.

Agreed. Too much sentimentality in here.

Ranieri was being paid to do a job this season, not as a reward of his achievement last season. As such, if he is not doing a good job, he gets replaced. Simple.

Obviously the players didn't cover themselves with glory but you can't replace the whole team can you?

Also something not often mentioned is that they did spend a decent amount of money on players in the summer and you have to say that the signings barely had an impact.

Was it really necessary?

Yes. The long term implications of relegation need to be considered for owners. It wouldn't feel right but it was necessary.

They need to also tribute him with memorabilia. But change is needed because the team is seriously struggling without likelihood to improve.

Well done to the Leicester board.

Ranieri was taking them down and it's a decision they simply had to make from a financial perspective. It had to happen. Morals go out the window when it's apparent you're going to get relegated, particularly given the wages they awarded some of their high profile players.
How is that well done? They're part of the massive new TV deal that came in this year. Even if they went down, they'd go down with a Premier League budget to spend next season.

There's absolutely no guarantee that a new manager can stop them from going down and even if they've got someone of a similar quality to the managers who currently occupy the top 6 teams. Who is going to leave a team at this point in the season? They're going to be shopping for managers in the lower leagues or the currently out of a job market.

Something tells me they'll try for Benitez.

It's Leicester ffs, what were the owners expecting? This is exactly where they should be. Last season was the weirdest case of game raising determination I've ever seen, and now they've returned to the status quo.

I know relegation has financial implications, but the owners could still have easily stood by him. The players should be ashamed.

Poor Ranieri:( But unfortunately this is football, clubs don't want to lose out on the money they can get by being in the Premier league.
Wonder who'll replace him..?

The alternative was Leicester getting relegated.

There's little room for heart or loyalty in football today - not when the stakes are so high and the financial implications so great.

How do you know that they won't get relegated under a new manager?

The weird thing is that last season, everybody was talking about Vardy and Mahrez. If they leave, then LCFC will fall apart. But nobody picked up on the work which Kante does.
Last season, Kante was in the title winning side, while Chelsea finished in mid table.
This season, Kante moved to Chelsea, who are now top of the league. Meanwhile his old team are in a relegation battle.

Kind of a shame after last year's miracle. They are horrible this year, but let's be honest, that's closer to their "real" level than last season was. Everyone know it was a one-off and that this season will be difficult. I expected them to be a bit better in a comfortable mid-table position, so the sack is maybe not completely bonkers, but still disappointing. The result yesterday was decent on paper but probably not enough to give the owners hope, because with what we saw yesterday Sevilla will most likely win away from home too and to stay in the PL is just more important than the CL on which they will get destroyed by a top team at some point anyway.

Right before they play us...great. Fully expecting us to lose now against a rejuvenated Leicester side.

Fairytale ending, back to usual shi**y business. Good luck (hoping they get relegated anyway).

Leicester statement revisited:

'Claudio is so amazing, brilliant & charismatic that we sacked the bugger.'

Really strange timing. The decision must have been taken before last night's game as, aside from the respectable result, the Leicester players were clearly trying last night despite the gulf in class.

I think there expectations for this season would be staying up. Its been obvious for a while that he was going to get them relegated
I don't understand how it's 'obvious' they're going down. There's 13 games left of the season and they're probably now playing at their natural level but are in bad form. There are certainly 3 worse teams in the Premier League than Leicester this season, they literally need 3 or 4 more wins to be safe. Sacking their manager now is just asking for trouble.

Players are an absolute joke! They just don't care anymore, hope no-one wants to sign any next season and they rot in the championship.

Loads of rumours of players not wanting to play for him. I read that they're a bit upset he got more praise than they did, which is bizarre really.

If that's true then screw those players, hope they get relegated.

Their defense is horrible! You can't manage people into having talent. Their players should be ashamed of themselves.